ADVERTISEMENT

2014 Championship Game

laxdeusa

moving up to Varsity
Apr 12, 2008
I guess we are all bored with the final as the posts have dried up. No sense asking for predictions but this is the best in state team the Sals will have faced since the 2010 over time loss to Tower Hill. And Cape did not role over during their game two weeks ago. So I ask you, what will have to happen for Cape to win the game?

It will need to be a Malvern type game, mid single digits.

That Sals defense is not going to give up more than 7-8 goals max.

Cape will need to limit Sal's transition opportunities where they are deadly. They'll need to force Sals to play 6v6 and make the shots predictable for Gillan.

I don't see an answer for #22 among the Cape defenders in man, outside of some type of hybrid zone with a shutoff.

Cape has the ability to play a very disciplined offensive set, looking for long possessions and limiting turnovers in areas of the field that will result in transition.

Both teams are very well coached, that's a draw there.

Sals wins the personnel battle with their depth, Cape will need to win the desire battle.

A lot of things will need to go right for Cape to derail the 4peat, but, it could happen.

Score first, second, third that will rattle them a little, but in the end I believe they will win. As for the best in state team, don't totally agree. St. Marks could have made it just as much of a game as Cape will. Yes I know Cape beat them, (SM) but I believe they are/were almost equal. If you were to take Sallies out of the mix the Cape/ SM game was for the championship and it was a good evenly matched game. Secondly, Cape is very talented in their face-offs and I believe they can use this to their advantage. Sallies (as someone posted earlier) was not winning as many, so if they can get the ball to Benson (quickly) they will have a chance to make it a closer game. Sallies lost, due to injury (Martin) ,if he is still out, that maybe another option. Not sure who they have and I am sure they do have someone to replace him.

Not to change subject, but their are many talented senior players this year. What will be interesting is the All-Star game, curious how they will divide up the teams.

Yes I agree Outofstate that Saint Marks could have given the Sals a good game. The teams were tied at the half during their first meeting. I give Cape the nod though because both Cape and the Sals beat the Spartans twice this year. I only saw the first half of the Cape / Saint Marks semi and Saint Marks made "so many" unforced errors. The two "man up" turnovers were just momentum killers. The one where the Spartans were man up on the face off and the Cape middie steals the ball and goes down for the score after the Saint Marks kid wins the face off..... the Saint Marks fans have to be thinking what could have been.

Totally agree, laxdeusa, but isn't the outcome of most high school athletic contests usually determined by which team makes the fewest mistakes? The progress a high school team makes during its season is important because most high school athletes are not sport-specific, even today with year-round playing opportunities. It takes them and their coaches at least the first third of the season to get to know each other, select the best players at each position, and then capitalize on their strengths. Even in the college ranks it usually takes a team half of the season to begin to play well together.

I am encouraged that there are several Delaware high school teams that could compete in the state championship. It wasn't that long ago that it perennially came down to 2 or 3 teams that took the game seriously. In my opinion, this should be what determines the health of Delaware high school lacrosse rather than what Salesianum is, or isn't doing to conform. That said, this is the last time I will suggest a separation of publics and privates at the play-off level. Such a change would give the majority of Delaware high school lax programs hope for appropriate recognition as Delaware lax develops. If the DIAA doesn't do it soon I believe they will lose an excellent opportunity to be a pro-active part of the growth of the fastest growing sport in the nation.

Posts have dried up because the conversation is boring. Only so may dead horses that we can continue to beat.

I really don't understand the apathy regarding Lax at the Boys level. The public vs private thing though is getting a little long in the tooth. Funny thing though is the sport on the Girls level. CH has won something like 75 in a row against in state competition and not a peep from anyone on the public/private thing.

The 24 division format makes the most sense to those of us who want to see everyone get a medal, a couple more schools and we're there. For example 1/4 of the field will look like this.

BIDEN DIVISION
1. Large New Castle County Pub Schools(Animal mascot, reptile bracket)
2. Small New Castle County Pub Schools (Animal mascot, bird bracket)
3. Small Sussex County Mennonite Schools
4. Mid Size Non Denominational Privates (Non St. Bracket)
5. New Castle County Home Schools
6. Non Tech oriented Charter Schools

This way the value of a championship can be totally diminished so as not to discriminate against anyone and everyone can be at least a Finalist. Also 24 schools will get to buy a banner and rings every year to help stimulate the economy.

It's just not fair that everyone can't win. Non winners each year, will be subsidized with a number of predetermined goal(s) as judged by the DIAA and reclassified the following year, so as to insure winning for all.

Will Martin Bailey play for the Sals today? I saw him standing on the sidelines against Tower Hill

Cape played the perfect game. Correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think Benson scored. If you had told me the Sals would shut down Benson and still lose I would not believe it. Sals made "so many" mistakes when Cape was in transition. I believe Cape scored 4 goals on point blank shots with no one between the shooter and the goalie. Also thought the Cape goalie made some unbelievable saves. Dont know what others think but the folks I was sitting with thought the Sals coaching staff was getting out coached. Any thoughts?

Not sure about your "out-coached" comment laxdeusa, but I saw and heard an entire defense consumed with one Cape player - Benson. Even from the stands I heard cries of "where's Benson" coming from the field throughout the game. If the Sals defensive strategy was to control Benson it looks like they succeeded, but considering that other Cape players had so many open shots maybe they carried it a little too far. From what I saw the real heroes of the game were the Cape defensive players led by their goalie. According to online stats Cape scored only 2 more goals than in their earlier season loss to the Sals, but their defense allowed 7 fewer goals in this game. That kind of sums it up for me.

Give cape credit for executing a great game plan. They took advantage of face offs and slowed down the pace of the game. Some credit goes to cape goalie; some credit goes to cape defense; and some credit goes to poor shooting by sals. I disagree with the post about too much emphasis on benson. Sals put friebott on him and he shut benson down completely. Friebott stripped benson several times late in the game. I have watched sals play about 10 games in the last 2 years and friebott always seems to be matched against opposing team's best attack man. The problem I saw last night for sals was the other cape attackman (Mann) scored 5 goals. Not sure who was covering him. Cape had a great game plan and all credit to them for a game well played- last night, cape was simply the better team.

Atlanticlax - Totally agree. Cape defense stood tall, especially their goalie, Gillan. It is understandable that the Sals would be looking for Benson given his reputation and performance. Delaware now knows that you have to beat 6 offensive players to defeat Cape.

I can't disagree with you delaxboy, kudos to Cape's defense in holding Sallies to only 7 goals. On the offensive side Cape seemed to play the chess game better than Sallies in directing play away from Benson since the Sals would probably be gunning for him after the last game. Benson and Friebott are both top players but the matchup had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. Cape's pawns and rooks took the castle while Sallies knights and bishops misjudged Benson as Cape's only serious threat. Great coaching and execution - checkmate Cape.

Congrats to Cape, they were the better team yesterday and are deserving champions. I bet Sallies wished the Reeder brothers hadn't skipped this season.

Tophill I kept thinking the same thing watching the Sals struggle during the face offs.

Hope the link works to the article in the Cape Gazette by Dave Frederick (former Phila Catholic League Football Standout). Nice work by Fredman and congratulations to the Cape.
This post was edited on 6/1 7:31 PM by Chesdel

Cape Gazette

laxdeusa, the game I saw had the Sals winning nearly every clamp and their fair share of possessions on face-offs. I agree that the Sals miss the Reeders but every high school has players that get injured or quit. Cape lost one of their top players (Matt Kane) to injury during the season. Stop making excuses (or agreeing with others) and admit that the private school with players from outside of Delaware got beat fair and square. Last evening's game was great for Delaware high school lax as a public school from the lower, slower, region of Delaware gave hope to every up and coming high school Delaware lax program. It is one of the things that makes lax such a great sport - on any given day David can slay Goliath.

Seriously Laxdusa it is not quite a David vs Goliath situation... Cape is and has been a lax boys and girls powerhouse in DE for awhile and they benefit from school choice in that area as much as anyone... Any parent in that area who has an aspiring Lax player will choice to Cape and has done so... and by in that area I mean within reasonable diving distance to the school .say an hour or less...

Unless they are a boarding school private schools draw from a 45 mile circumference from the school... if that circumference crosses state lines. so what its still a defined area,,, Delaware has school choice and with that the Public, Tech and Charters all draw from the same circumference around their schools as privates

This post was edited on 6/1 8:33 PM by ravensrooster2

Think about it realistically,, If you are a parent in MD or PA of a stud lax player why would you send your kid to Sallies instead of a MIAA or IAC school? You wouldn't unless you wanted a big fish in a little pond situation....

Ravensrooster2 - you are only half right about public school choice. It is only possible if there is an open seat and the school offers a course not available in the student's home district. In Sussex County,school districts are typically separated by at least a 30 minute drive-time so moving their kids to even an adjoining district is a hardship for most parents. I know of no student who choices into Cape to play lax. To the contrary, I know of several lax parents who send their kids from Cape to Sussex Tech for various reasons. Public school choice does not make publics comparable with privates as there are significant limitations.

This post was edited on 6/1 9:31 PM by laxfool

Originally posted by tophill29:
Congrats to Cape, they were the better team yesterday and are deserving champions. I bet Sallies wished the Reeder brothers hadn't skipped this season.
Top, IMHO it would not have mattered, Cape was a team on a mission.It is a shame they quit though.

Rooster, big fish in a lil pond is a great example of exactly why. Another reason parents send their kid there is to get a participation trophy and hopefully a ring.

ravensrooster2 - do you know that Sallies tuition is nearly half of what the other privates you mention charge? Also, if your kid is not a starter with a top PA private it makes sense to send them to Sallies where they have a better chance of playing. Sallies parents in PA have told me they can buy their kid a car and send them to Sallies for less than what they would pay to go to Malvern Prep or most of the other southeastern PA privates.

The kids from Sallies may have had their fare share of the clamps but number 8 from Dover came out of those scrums with a "lot" of ground balls. I am thinking number 8 would not have come up with so many ground balls had Troy been in there. Mute point though because Troy wasn't on the field. Hats off to Cape as they more than held their own in the battle for ground balls.

#8 from Cape is Tommy Ott, three time wrestling state champ and all-state defensive lineman - one of the toughest high school kids you'll ever meet, and on his way to the Naval Academy. It would have been fun to see him and Troy go head to head, and knowing Tommy he would have relished the opportunity.

Originally posted by laxfool:
Ravensrooster2 - you are only half right about public school choice. It is only possible if there is an open seat and the school offers a course not available in the student's home district. In Sussex County,school districts are typically separated by at least a 30 minute drive-time so moving their kids to even an adjoining district is a hardship for most parents. I know of no student who choices into Cape to play lax. To the contrary, I know of several lax parents who send their kids from Cape to Sussex Tech for various reasons. Public school choice does not make publics comparable with privates as there are significant limitations.

This post was edited on 6/1 9:31 PM by laxfool
I see your point and yes I agree school choice does not make them comparable to privates in that sense. Also yes there does have to be a seat open but there are no provisions stating your home school has to not offer a course or any provisions that I know of.. at least in NCC maybe the district has different rules down there I don't know.. I do know kids who play rec league or travel together will and have choiced into the same schools to stay with their buddies/teamates ... Howard's State Championship BBall team comes to mind...

In any event Cape has an excellent program and I enjoyed the interviews with the two players on WDEL particuarly the one stating the seniors have all been playing together since like 3rds grade.. Thats how its done.. Its great those boys get to go out like that... good stuff
This post was edited on 6/2 8:33 AM by ravensrooster2

Originally posted by laxfool:
ravensrooster2 - do you know that Sallies tuition is nearly half of what the other privates you mention charge? Also, if your kid is not a starter with a top PA private it makes sense to send them to Sallies where they have a better chance of playing. Sallies parents in PA have told me they can buy their kid a car and send them to Sallies for less than what they would pay to go to Malvern Prep or most of the other southeastern PA privates.
I dont know much about the IAC schools other than I know they offer scholaships to athletes.. To what extent I don't know. The MIAA on the other hand I do know well and if your a stud player tuition will not be a concern. Kids who are 2nd and 3rd string get college scholly's on some of those MIAA teams (of course most of that comes from playing on their summer club teams) When you look into the 15k or more tuition private schools you will find out most of the parents arent paying that.. Most of them will have about 65 to 75% of the students receiving financial aide and the average award is usually right around 50% in some cases more... Last I looked St Andrews in DE average financial aide award was 35K.. Sallies awards about 800,000 a year in financial aide... point being these schools are much more affordable then folks think

This post was edited on 6/2 8:43 AM by ravensrooster2

Raven, you seem to be a fount of knowledge. I asked this before : how are the secondary school sports organized in this country?
Are teams organized by school territory, religion or whatever. This is a little confusing!

For example: do you have to be a member of The Church of England to play for St. Andrews or a Quaker to play for Friends?

Do Protestants and Catholics play on the same team in the secondary schools?

Well then Tommy Ott is one heck of an unsung hero. He had a "major" impact on the game and it never shows up in the paper or box score.

Originally posted by ErinGoBragh5:
Raven, you seem to be a fount of knowledge. I asked this before : how are the secondary school sports organized in this country?
Are teams organized by school territory, religion or whatever. This is a little confusing!

For example: do you have to be a member of The Church of England to play for St. Andrews or a Quaker to play for Friends?

Do Protestants and Catholics play on the same team in the secondary schools?
I will try and give a simple answer to a very complex question... Mosty highschool teams are organized by their state athletic associations. Its very often broken down in to counties or districts.. Some states the private schools have their own athletic associations.. There is no national governing body as it pertains to high school athletics but their is the NFHS which sets some guidlines as far as general rules to follow as far as game play and safety that sort of stuff

As for the religiously based schools no they dont descriminate on choice of religion... For example The Catholic schools have students of all faiths attending them. The non Catholic parents choose those schools for private education aspect and not so much the religion taught.

This post was edited on 6/2 9:31 AM by ravensrooster2

In the News Journal article about the game, I noticed that Cape had 17 seniors on their roster, while Sallies had only 8 seniors on their team.

For such a big school and lacrosse program, I would have expected more seniors. Is this just an odd year?

This post was edited on 6/2 9:50 AM by DELax100

Yes, the Salesianum roster shows 8 seniors. The Sals started a lot of underclassmen this year, usually 8 or 9 per game. They had 15 juniors on this years team so next year the number of seniors will likely be over 8 if they all stay on the team.

Stimulating conversation.

Rosters turnover. It is the nature of amateur sports. Not all the times is talent balanced on a roster by class. The greater number of students that you have the better chance of having the roster balance thing.

I admire the Cape for playing the Big S every year. (Three decades ago, Coach Schroeder played the Sals in FB on a regular basis. It would be nice to see the FB rivalry reappear but maybe the scheduling for conferences is too locked in.)

The Cape usually has had good athletes and some solid coaching.
This post was edited on 6/2 11:47 AM by Chesdel

You are right about Tommy Ott, laxdeusa, perhaps more than you know. He often wrestles at heavyweight giving up 75 or more pounds. He only goes about 215lbs but was a four year varsity starting lineman both ways for the Cape football team. I don't think he missed more than a handful of plays in his entire four years. He started playing lax when he was about 10 and played close defense for his first three or four years, but decided to move to midfield for more action at U15. Believe it or not he could get up and down the field as fast and as often as anyone on the team. He moved back to defense for the good of the team when he got to high school. He has a motor that never quits and an extraordinary will to win at everything - including academics. Tommy is this year's recipient of the Cape Henlopen High School Male Athlete of the Year Award. My favorite description of him from a local retired Marine is, "If there ever was kid born to be a US Marine it is Tommy".

As I live in Kent County, it allows me to watch Cape on a regular basis in many sports. Tom Ott is an excellent football player and wrestler. He is a good Delaware lacrosse player. Not taking anything away from a great young man, but, there are better defensemen playing lacrosse in Delaware.

"As I live in Kent County, it allows me to watch Cape on a regular basis in many sports. Tom Ott is an excellent football player and wrestler. He is a good Delaware lacrosse player. Not taking anything away from a great young man, but, there are better defensemen playing lacrosse in Delaware."

tommy was one of the few defensemen in the state still actually playing on saturday night. some highly touted defensemen (taking nothing away from them as they are good players) lost. you can speculate all you want. a winner is a winner. he is my first pick every time.

This post was edited on 6/2 2:26 PM by spect8

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT