ADVERTISEMENT

2014 Henlopen Conference Favorites?

freddiefokker

Water boy
Sep 26, 2012
It's getting closer to March 1st. I'm just a parent and a fan; no agenda or ax to grind here. I'm just wondering who you guys and gals think will make some noise this year in the Henlopen Conference boy's lax season?

Of course Cape and CR will be strong. Who might be this year's Delmar or Smyrna? Are there any key lax seniors that might not play lax because of football or other scholarships? Woodbridge starts their first varsity season. Welcome aboard. IR looked good at times last season.

Lax is growing downstate and it's a beautiful thing!
This post was edited on 1/6 9:52 AM by freddiefokker

I would think it would be about the same. CR, Cape and Dover will be there for sure. Sussex Tech should be better than last year, as they return almost everyone from a very young team that made the tournament at 6-9.

I don't know who Delmar, Polytech and Smyrna have back; that was one of the big questions I had.

I wouldn't put Dover in the same sentence as Cape. Looks like Dover graduated 18 players from last year, that seems like a lot to replace compared to Cape (7), CR (6), Poly (6), STech (3), and Delmar (2). Smyrna (13) has a lot to replace also.

Cape and CR are the favorites to play for the title on May 7th. Dover, Poly, and STech will battle for 3rd place.

Delmar should be the favorite for the South.

Yeah, not saying Dover is equal to Cape or CR. Esp now that I know they lost 18 (!) seniors.

I agree Delmar will be the favorite in the new Southern Division. I think Tech will surprise people with a still-young team.

Polytech should be solid, Bob Gilmore has done a great job of building that program. I would look at them to give cape and CR a good battle this year.

In the south Delmar is the favorite but IR should be much improved and may give them
some competition. Milford may put up a fight as well.

I saw some of the Polytech kids down at Crown in Fruitland, MD last Sunday. I'm not sure if that was all their varsity guys (I doubt it), but they looked pretty good. Good kids, too.

Polytech is still a step behind Cr/Cape, but closing the gap.

Who is the favorite to win... Cr or Cape? Cr must replace their goalie which is a big factor, the better goalie is usually the difference in this matchup. Top level players returning for both teams at each position should make exciting individual matchups. Preseason favorite...Cape.

This is "supposed" to be Cape's year. CR has an unproven 1st year goalie but has some great shooters in Schaefer and Aloe. Polytech has a ton of seniors this year and should be tough. I wouldn't sleep on Dover, though - Coach Coveleski seems to find ways to win and McQuaide looks to have a great season.

Schaeffer CR
Benson Cape
Gilmore Delmar

Aloe CR
Keen Cape
Hayward CR

McQuaide Dover
Sheahan CR
Ott Cape

Quillin S. Tech

Gilliian Cape

Looks like some pretty good talent in the Henlopen Conf. returning from last year. Hopefully some of these players will be continuing their playing careers in college. What former Henlopen players are currently on college rosters?

Landis Wilson from Delmar is with Christopher Newport

John Michael Smith & David Green from CR are at Ferrum
Ryan Castellon from CR is at Washington College
Alden Clapp, Brooks Johnson & Bubba Johnson from CR are with D1 Mt. St. Mary's
Sam Limpert from CR is at Virginia Wesleyan

James Cook from Cape plays for Lynchburg
Jack Redefer from Sussex Tech plays for Wesley College.

I'm sure there are more that I am leaving off this list, but this is a start.

Delmar has at least 5 seniors on this year's team that are going to play on various Division 3 teams next year. Not bad for one of the smallest schools in the state.

This post was edited on 3/14 7:15 AM by DelmarMD

Three kids from CR at St.Mary's. That's outstanding.

Too bad they're not good enough to play at UD.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

I know Matsko was recruited to play there but i'm not sure if that entailed a partial scholarship or an invitation to walk on. I do know he ended up being moved to LSM. I'm sure there are more kids from CR and Cape playing in college but I don't any others off the top of my head.

Several of these guys are taking it to the next level.
Schaeffer - Salisbury
Benson - Jacksonville
Gilmore - ?
Aloe - Delaware
Keen - ?
Hayward - ?
McQuaide - Yale
Sheahan - Delaware
Quillen - ?
Gillian - Monmoth

From what I heard a few months ago, Keen is walking on at Delaware. Things could have changed since then, so I'm not positive.

Gilmore from Delmar is going to Stevenson. Delmar's other players who taking it to the next level are:
Robby Jennette (defense) Cabrini College
Otto Jester (midfield) Bridgewater College
Sam Ash (goalie) Susquehanna University
Chase Harmon (defense) Hilbert College

Delmar has some good players, they just don't get much recognition because they play for Delmar. The Wildcats should have a very good season if they stay healthy.

Didn't Hoffstadt and Matsko both graduate last year? And I never heard anything of Matsko moving to LSM.

Hoffatadt is a sr and has had a good career at Navy. He's a very good player and has contributed this year. He's a great kid, very smart and will graduate at the very top of his class. We'll hear great things about him in the years to come.

This post was edited on 4/26 7:11 AM by WoodenStick

If you're referring to the CR/Cape game, it will determine the Henlopen Northern Division Champion, not the Conference Champion, and Cape will win easily.

woah woah woah. CR has had Capes number the last couple of years. We will see about Cape in the next week and a half, but for now I have CR winning the game on Wednesday.

I am guessing Cape will win by 5 goals. They have played a tougher schedule and beat Saint Marks badly. The same Saint Marks team that handled CR easily. I would not be surprised though if Cape routs CR but I would be surprised if CR wins the game. Thats why we play the games so we shall see.

Yeah I think Cape is playing well right now and will win, if anyone goes to game can you post updates/results.

WDEL website has a short video and article on the game...I wasn't there cant give anymore than that score is correct.

The Delaware State News has a short article on the Cape/CR game:

http://delaware.newszap.com/centraldelaware/sports/131845-72/cape-cruises-past-cr-for-boys-lacrosse-title

Meanwhile, in the lower-rent district of the Henlopen North, Sussex Tech is quietly having a pretty good season. The Ravens are 9-3 after beating Polytech last night, 10-7, with Sussex Central and St. Andrew's remaining on their schedule.

http://delaware.newszap.com/centraldelaware/sports/131846-72/roundup-sussex-tech-boys-post-win-over-polytech

Looks like its Cape- Delmar..for the Henlopen championship ? What lax genius came up with this match up. What's next a north south all star game?

Great match up! Delmar is the pride of the Henlopen South where every team has a winning record.

Not cracking on Delmar. My point is how do you have a 7 team conference and a 3 team conference.then force the 3 teams to play each other twice.There are many ways DE. Could divide the state to make a more balanced league. the Henlopen North South just does not make sense to me.

Your memory is better then mine.but it still makes no sense. If they need two divisions call them blue and gold, and split them evenly.then championship games would be against the two best teams .also a senior all star game would make sense.

The Henlopen Conference, based on their rules, cannot do that nor should they. They have to establish a set of rules which split the Conference that is fair for all sports. Although it may not make sense right now, once you get a few more established Lacrosse teams in the Conference, the parity will come. Right now, Cape and CR are the at the top because of the longevity of their programs and the established feeder programs they have, but the others will catch up eventually. Delmar, IR and Milford are much improved and I know Milford is young and will probably be better next year. Poly, ST and Dover are right there and Smyrna continues to improve. The parity is coming.

Originally posted by FBLAX23:
The Henlopen Conference, based on their rules, cannot do that nor should they. They have to establish a set of rules which split the Conference that is fair for all sports. Although it may not make sense right now, once you get a few more established Lacrosse teams in the Conference, the parity will come. Right now, Cape and CR are the at the top because of the longevity of their programs and the established feeder programs they have, but the others will catch up eventually. Delmar, IR and Milford are much improved and I know Milford is young and will probably be better next year. Poly, ST and Dover are right there and Smyrna continues to improve. The parity is coming.
Some very accurate statements. Lacrosse is a growing sport in the southern areas of Delaware, as it is in many other areas of the country. One conversation I had that gave me reason to pause, was with a teacher who played baseball when he was in school. He believes that if lacrosse was an option when he was a kid, he would have chosen that over baseball. So I am left to wonder will more kids be choosing lax over baseball?

Originally posted by ikeyfbst:

Originally posted by FBLAX23:
Some very accurate statements. Lacrosse is a growing sport in the southern areas of Delaware, as it is in many other areas of the country. One conversation I had that gave me reason to pause, was with a teacher who played baseball when he was in school. He believes that if lacrosse was an option when he was a kid, he would have chosen that over baseball. So I am left to wonder will more kids be choosing lax over baseball?
That happened in Md 20 years ago.. MD baseball was almost non existent.. Baseball did have a small resurgence when Ripken built the complex in Aberdeen but it is still the best athletes play Lax and Baseball is basically the soccer crowd.. Heck in the 80's most the HS baseball fields were just backstops and a bench no fences The HS fields have upgraded but not many,,, SO the answer to the question is yes Lax will overtake baseball in DE as the premier spring sport.
This post was edited on 5/10 11:22 PM by ravensrooster2

We're seeing kids leaving baseball for lacrosse right now. I know we're seeing it at my son's high school, where high school baseball is played at a pretty high level. Varsity baseball rosters are pretty small; 15 or so I believe. Put another 15 on a JV squad and you have a very limited number of spots for a large number of kids that try out. I believe my son's high school had over 100 boys try out for baseball. Many were stars in the local little leagues but ended up getting cut as 9th graders. These kids didn't suck; were very good baseball players; there simply aren't enough spots to support those numbers. The ones that make it may not see a varsity field until 11th or 12th grade, if ever.

In addition, travel baseball has changed everything in the baseball world. Kids that can afford to pay to play in travel leagues have a distinct advantage over those that can't. This is especially true with minority kids that simply can't afford it or just aren't interested in the slower pace of baseball. Plus, some kids have natural athletic ability that doesn't always immediately translate to the baseball field. Lastly, some kids aren't going to grow to be 6'-5". The ones that aren't so big have trouble with the transition from the 60' field in little league to the 90' field in middle school/junior league. It's that 12 year old age group that we need to target.

If I were a high school lax coach, I'd station one of my assistants outside of the baseball field on the last day of Little League and start handing out sticks.

it will never take over baseball. more kids still play baseball in MD than Lax now, and MD has more LAx players than any other state, look it up. Its a great sport, but until you have someone to look up to professionally, it will never mess with the big 3

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT