ADVERTISEMENT

2014 STATE BASEBALL TOURNAMENT

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
#16 Delmar (11-7) at #1 St Marks (16-2)

#9 CR (13-5) at #8 Mt Pleasant (14-4)

#13 Conrad (12-6) @ #4 Hodgson (13-5)

#12 Sussex Tech (13-5) @ #5 A.I. Dupont (13-5)

#15 Tower HIll (12-6) at #2 Archmere (16-2)

#10 Dover (14-4) at #7 Sallies (12-6)

#14 Sussex Central (11-7) at #3 Caravel (14-2)

#11 St Georges (13-5) at #6 Smyrna (14-4)

Oldskool, did your final numbers match mine, and is Delmar the real 16 seed?

This post was edited on 5/22 11:16 AM by skipsternicole

I think these were the only regular season match-ups.

5/15/2014
Archmere 7
Tower Hill 1

5/15/2014
Caravel 6
Sussex Central 0

Who would have believed a few weeks ago that Sallies would be ranked higher than Dover?

This post was edited on 5/22 11:08 AM by TouchThemAll

My only rooting interest in this tourney is that someone knocks off St Marks so that someone different wins for a change.

Originally posted by 8yaz:
My only rooting interest in this tourney is that someone knocks off St Marks so that someone different wins for a change.
Very good 8yaz, we'll put you down as a Sallies fan.
roll.r191677.gif

My question is, why is the bracket starting the Saturday before a holiday weekend.

I was thinking, Tues, Thursday, Sat and final on Monday, June 2.

The team Sallies plays in the first round probably has the best bet of beating St. Mark's if they play each other. Dover as the 10 is a tough draw there, and Sallies won two tiebreakers to get that No. 7 seed, I think.

It benefits DIAA somehow. The topic on 16th seed and automatic bids. DIAA has never been faced with this dilemna before. Heard it from someone who talked to board member. DIAA doesn't know what to do. It will get fixed next year was the exact words they used. Sorry to all the student athletes who strive to make the tournament but get slighted by adults who are never held accountable. How do you even make the mistake of sending out the A.I. Hodgson seed fiasco. DIAA's attitude lets get through this so we have some time off.

CountianJeff....I think Dover can be really good through the playoffs. They have the depth at pitching and they can hit the ball. I got a little worried about them in the middle of the season when they went 2-3 starting with the loss to Appo. Then their schedule got really weak at the end of the season so they were dropping a lot of double digits on teams. But then the loss to a struggling Charter team? But Sallies doesn't have much depth on the mound. That could spell trouble with the big bats of Dover.

As for matchups, obviously St Marks and Archmere have relatively easy draws since they have top two picks. But i think C.R. REALLY got a good draw. Mt P in my opinion is one of the weaker teams in the playoffs. I seen them play a couple of times. I understand that TWO of their starting players were tossed in their final game against APPO and can't play in this game.

Really interesting matchups also..Tech @ Ai, St G @ Smyrna and Conrad @ Hodgson along with Dover/Sals all could go either way. Caravel at Central isn't a gimme for Caravel, but Caravel should win.

I have said it a few times on here...St Marks is clearly the best team in the state this year. They can hit and they can pitch and they are deep. BUT, they are beatable. Even though they were 10-2 against playoff teams. A lot of the games were very close. Hodgson 4-1, CR 5-4, Caravel 6-3, Sallies 3-2, Dover 3-1, Smyrna 3-0....Don't get me wrong, they are the favorite, I just think there are 6 or 7 teams that could beat them if they play well, limit the errors and throw their top guy against them.

No love for the Silver Eagles, I don't know how you can go against them with Walter on the hill. Conrad will give them a good game but I just don't see them scoring enough off of Walter to give them a win.

Prediction
Hodgson 5
Conrad 1

BASEBALL

DIAA state tournament

Saturday, May 24

First round

16-Delmar (11-7) at 1-St. Mark's [16-2], 2 p.m.

9-Caesar Rodney (13-5) at 8-Mt. Pleasant [14-4], 2 p.m.

13-Conrad (12-6) at 4-Hodgson [13-5], 11 a.m.

12-Sussex Tech (13-5) at 5-A.I. duPont [13-5], 2 p.m.

15-Tower Hill (12-6) at 2-Archmere [16-2], 11 a.m.

10-Dover (14-4) at 7-Salesianum [12-6], 3 p.m.

14-Sussex Central (11-7) at 3-Caravel [14-2], 3 p.m.

11-St. Georges (13-5) at 6-Smyrna [14-4], 11 a.m.

Tuesday, May 27

Quarterfinals

Games at higher seeds, 4 p.m.

Semifinals

Thursday, May 29

At Frawley Stadium, 4 p.m. and to follow

Finals

Saturday, May 31

At Frawley Stadium

This came from the Delaware state news

I found it interesting that of 6 henlopen teams, 5 have road games in the 1st round...also found it interesting, the henlopen north has 5 of the 6 teams in the conference make the the post season and the 6th team polytech, were a couple of innings away from making the tourney.

Detitans.... I'm with you, Conrad is a decent team and it's great that Conrad got into tourney this year, but their bats get a little silent against good pitching. I see it as a close game with Hodgson pulling away late.

http://www.doe.k12.de.us/infosuites/students_family/diaa/sports/spring/baseball.shtml is the bracket

Looking forward to Sallies v Dover;

Single elimination is awful for finding the best overall team, but it will add to the drama. Do teams take a shot at holding out their #1 at least to start the game? Seen a lot of teams go home over the years trying to save an arm for a game they never end up playing.

Sucks when kids can't go, not sure what happened at Appo but Mt P won't have the depth to compete if the SS and CF are out.

Would set up a nice matchup round #2 with CR vs STM though so there's that.

This post was edited on 5/23 10:07 AM by FuriousFour

I think that the Sals win this game Saturday and make a run at the championship....they are hungry after last seasons disappointing finish and I know for a fact that did not sit well with the seniors on this team. I think they can compete with just about any team on any given day, but they have been very inconsistent all season with their fielding and timely hitting.

With Hinton healthy enough to pitch they have a shot. Without, highly unlikely.

This post was edited on 5/23 2:02 PM by delpsufan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT