ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Football Season

HSSPORT#1

Tackles too high
Nov 4, 2013
Newark
The 2014 Season is Complete. William Penn was the Div I Champs and Hodgson was the Div II Champs. So looking ahead who are the team on paper that will be strong in Div I and Div II. Always nice to have conversation on who will be strong and who will lose allot in 2015.

Hodgson will be tough as always. St. George's and Caravel as well. Laurel loses a lot so who knows with them. The south could be the same teams, IR, Lake, Delmar. No take on Woodbridge, the ship sank real quick this year and they lose their all around best player.

St. Marks might be the odds on favorite in D2

Division 1, the south could go either way, Tech could be fired up and come back and trounce teams after being one if the teams picked to win it this year then go and get humiliated in the playoffs. I've seen that circumstance happen twice at least in the last decade. CR was young so will be tough, Smyrna could be the favorites with their playmakers returning, but the Henlopen north is so brutal year in and year out that they will just beat up on one another.

Sallies returns Gannon and Reeder, as well as a receiver that I cant remember off the top of my head so they will be in the thick of things as usual.

call it a homer pick all you want, but the odds on favorite for next year in D1 should be Middletown. They return all but 5 players from this years team and could be hungry after their loss to Penn. Flight A is questionable. Will Dooley keep Penn as a contender? Well see, but I feel like he brought that program back to life and they could be a force for years to come, as long as the players and community keep buying in on the plan he has in place. A.I. And Newark lose players but are always those teams to fear. Concord as well, they finished strong but not sure what they have returning.

WAY TOO EARLY to rank a preseason ranking, but top five in each division would be

Division 2, st. Marks, st. George's, caravel, hodgson, lake forest

Division 1, Middletown, Salesianum, William Penn, Sussex tech, Smyrna.

And Nothing against the southern teams, I just don't know enough about them this early on so please feel free to share and give us all up staters some more help.

Delmar returns everyone but MLB and QB. they have a big JR class coming up. they should be the Fav in the south.

The Big S at Sussex Tech on Friday Night 11/6/15. Now, that will be interesting. Warm personal regards to the Sussex Tech folks. They are 1-0 against the Big S. Great scheduling for the Ravens.
This post was edited on 12/10 9:09 AM by Chesdel

Sals also return Kyle Cathers who will likely be an FBS recruit come the start of the season.

Penn looks like they reutrn most of their O Line except Stanley and Skinner. They still have their receivers and Qb , and Burton returns for another year , not too mention a JV back coming up Greenwood who I have seen runs hard . Defensively I still think Penn will be fine . I expect Penn to be in the mix next year as well and the coaching staff deserves kudos they did a great job .

Obviously way to early to rank anything but Ill give my top 3 for Henny north and south in no particular order

HEN. NORTH

Caesar Rodney- Normal powerhouse returns to dominant form with one of the youngest teams in the state.
Sussex Central- basically the same reason. This very young team ended the season strong and runs into next season with momentum
Sussex Tech- Don't sleep on this kid Griffin running the ball he is very good.

HEN. SOUTH

Delmar- Super young team that returns alot, wildcats also ended the season very strong. Wildcats look to be a definite force to be reckoned with.
Indian River- Sturgis returns with a more experinced o line.....Sturgis IMO will be the best RB/ Offensive player down south along with the Downs ( or whatever his name was that played FB in the wing T for them ) kid from CR
Laurel- Not as senior laden as people think, 5 sarters return on defense and 6 on offense, with young talent ready to fill in that showed in the title game

I would say that Middletown, Sallies & William Penn will be the front runners in Div 1. Middletown has an awful lot of talent coming back as does Sallies. Penn losing Carroll & Watts will hurt but they have some young talent coming up ready to make an impact. Downstate watch out for CR, they played some good ball towards the end of the year. I'm liking St Marks in Div 2, they have some really good talent coming back and a will be junior QB who can throw the ball. I'm sure Hodgson, Caravel and St. Georges will be in the mix as well. Laurel & Lake downstate?

Middletown returns a lot from a team that made the championship game so they would be my choice for the frontrunner in DI. Sallies would be my 2nd choice. Coach Dooley has the William Penn program back in the mix to stay and they should be tough again. Concord is always a good competitive team. Henlopen North is tough to call. CR should be much better and maybe Sussex Central. Sussex Tech loses a lot. Dover could surprise. Smyrna had a good season but how good are they? Cape?

DII is Hodgson and St. Mark's. The Selby's are gone so I think the Hawks take a step back. With all due respect to Henlopen South nobody from that conference can beat Hodgson or St Mark's. I never count out Caravel. Glasgow dropping down to DII could be interesting.

If I had to rank today it would look like this

DI
1. Middletown
2. Sallies
3. William Penn

DII
1. Hodgson
2. St. Mark's
3. Caravel or Lake/Delmar/Laurel/St. Georges

This post was edited on 12/12 9:54 AM by fanoffootball123

Hope the link works. The Big S has added Cardinal O'Hara for opening night.

2015 will be challenging and the clones will need to step it up.

Opponents - Phila Catholic League...O'Hara and Judge
Henlopen North .................................Smyrna, Dover, CR, Sussex Tech
Blue Hen A.........................................Concord, Middletown, William Penn
Long time rival....................................St. Marks

That is a challenging schedule. Every DE team that made the 2014 D1 tournament is on the schedule....

2015 Big S Schedule

Dove... These are the best BHA teams. I guess AI could jump up. AI does scrimmage the Big S on an annual basis.

Doug..it is a tough schedule.

Originally posted by Chesdel:

Hope the link works. The Big S has added Cardinal O'Hara for opening night.

2015 will be challenging and the clones will need to step it up.

Opponents - Phila Catholic League...O'Hara and Judge
Henlopen North .................................Smyrna, Dover, CR, Sussex Tech
Blue Hen A.........................................Concord, Middletown, William Penn
Long time rival....................................St. Marks

That is a challenging schedule. Every DE team that made the 2014 D1 tournament is on the schedule....
Ches....I actually think the Sals schedule is easier next season. But I am glad to see some teams steppin up..... all that said-they are my #1 going into next season for D1 title.....but getting there will be tough

Jawnsky, I think the schedule is more difficult next year but you never know how things change from one season to the next. I like the '15 schedule. I think it will challenge them and features 8 in state opponents.

OHara, Judge, Dover, Smyrna and Sussex Tech are replacing Delcastle, DMA, MLK, Glen Mills and Brooklyn Poly.
The clones are playing 3 in state teams on the road that beat them last year.(Wm Penn, SM and Sussex Tech). (OHara was down last year. Their coach, Dan Algeo, passing away last summer before the season had to be an incredible setback.)

Last year was frustrating as a Big S fan. Can you say something that will give the old guy some hope?

"Last year was frustrating as a Big S fan. Can you say something that will give the old guy some hope?"

I can. The 2015 defense will be a lot better.

Ches- just to name a few....they have Cathers/Jarome/Reeder/Ryan coming back. That tank of a Fr/So lineman and many other young kids who started or saw quality time. And while Cannon did an ok job managing the game he was not really ready but the raw talent was obvious-he will compete as a top QB next year. They have plenty waiting in the wings from their JV and Frosh teams that went a combined 17-0. Look out for that Merlino kid as well.

And right now the sked looks real hard but as the season goes on they will be ok. They will be in the top 6 by the end of week 10 and that's all that matters. The best news is not having a monster Prep team coming to baynard and being considered D2.....

The 2015 Sal defense was a head scratcher. Up til this last season whenever you got yards against them, you paid. I didn't see any of that from the first game on. What was even more puzzling was the fact that a lot of those players were from the 2013 championship team. Whatever the cause, I guarantee that BDN will address it come next season.

Sals schedule is a lot tougher, considering playoff points wise. St. Marks drops so that will be a D2 game for the next two years at least. Cardinal o hara is D1 by far, the one team who has to be looked into is Father Judge, as of last season their enrollment was 1015 (not sure just how accurate that number is, but close enough) I'm not sure off the top of my head what the cut off was here in Delaware but if they have enough kids when the contract is signed, I have no doubt that the sals will be a top 6 team by seasons end, and possibly a bye week heading into the playoffs. It all comes down to points, and the Big S will have plenty.

I'm curious to see what team is going to step up, with st. Marks dropping there is an open slot for a serious contender. We will have the usuals as always, but this is the time for someone new to appear, anyone wanna take a preseason leap and make that prediction? I think my post a few weeks ago said Smyrna, but the HN is always tough to win in.

Thanks for the update kitno. I must have overlooked the all boys aspect.

So Sallies has the teams on the schedule to be in the discussion at the end of the season, thing is, taking care of business to remain in the discussion. There isn't a Delaware team on that schedule that's not used to the post season. Cardinal o hara will be tough., don't know much of father judge. But, sallies can easily go 10-0 just as easily they can go 5-5. I thought sallies defense was pretty stout, the only bad game I saw was against Tech, and with those three running backs and defense could have had a bad game.

Sals defense was not good at all. They gave up over 250 yards in rushing to a young CR team. This was a team that had no senior leadership. Freeborn was almost invisable at times. I really thought being a D1 recruit that he would dominate. The last game against ST was a mirror on the play that unit put in during the season. BDN has a lot of work to fix this and I think he will.

Dove, I think you are being a little tough on Freeborn. It was a lot easier for him to shine when he was on the field with Troy Reeder, Brian O'Neill and Daulton Gregory. He had a great junior year and maybe too much was expected of him this past year. He has a lot of talent but I still don't know what his natural position is. That is yet to be determined....and by his college coach.

Last years Big S team was frustrating but nobody came close to Penn after their 6 point win at Baynard.

Is it just me, or does anyone else notice that a good percentage of the threads on this forum eventually devolve into a Sallies discussion? I'm pretty new here, but has this always been the case?

Originally posted by IncognitoFanDE:
Is it just me, or does anyone else notice that a good percentage of the threads on this forum eventually devolve into a Sallies discussion? I'm pretty new here, but has this always been the case?
Cog.....no its not you....it is/has always kinda been a lil chatroom for Sals. It got much better this year with some of the worst offenders backing away and Sals had IMHO a very good season, but not up to most clones standards. When the Sals are at the top though-the clones flock back in record numbers....kinda like Dallas Fans.....

Add to all of this- WP is back/Cavs faithful never left and St Marks fans represented well as did the downstate teams.

Spartakos is usually the voice of reason over here!!!

I think that the year without Bummy kept the board relatively quiet. There are times when I miss the nonsensical stuff that he used to post.

I think that the year without Bummy kept the board relatively quiet. There are times when I miss the nonsensical stuff that he used to post.
me too Ches.....I also wanted to mention that the D2 folks have always been just as supportive on this forum. Especially RR.....you my friend will be missed. After all the RLCA dust criticism settled and you took an admin role, that also sent a few Clones overboard (lol) but you always kept it fair and provided great input and an honest take. Not everyone always agrees but you kept the peace.

Originally posted by Jawnsky:

me too Ches.....I also wanted to mention that the D2 folks have always been just as supportive on this forum. Especially RR.....you my friend will be missed. After all the RLCA dust criticism settled and you took an admin role, that also sent a few Clones overboard (lol) but you always kept it fair and provided great input and an honest take. Not everyone always agrees but you kept the peace.
Thanks Jawnsky its been entertaining to say the least.. fyi... RR2 got a few months stay of execution due to lilRR2 going out for wrestling.. I can be found on that board mainly these days..

Looks like Lake is going to have a hell of a schedule next season. Starting off with Hodgson and St. Marks and then head to Maryland to face Bayside powerhouse Queen Anne. Going to be tough with a team losing a lot of talent.

This was the 1st season I've followed this board, it's been informative and interesting. Lake will still have alot of talent. I think it'll be another great season for them.

Notice Middletown has Mt Pleasant on the schedule. That is very unusual for Middletown who usually plays an all D1 schedule. Just thought it was kind of odd for the Cavs to play them!

Mount Pleasant moves to Flight A next year, switching places with Glasgow. So Middletown will still have an all DI schedule. I'm pretty sure they will be the only DI school without a DII team on the schedule next year.

Originally posted by Middletown Man:
Thanks CDUC! Did not realize Mt Pleasant had moved to Flight A.
Your welcome! I had just found out about it myself.

ADVERTISEMENT