ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Season is EXACTLY 9 months away!!!

Aug 12, 2014
The 2015 Season is right around the corner!!

Im excited already!! Had a great look at a lot Juniors, Sophmores, and Freshman that look for playing time this upcoming season.

Couple of Changes in Sussex County: Couple of Job Vacancies in the Henlopen Conference and St.Mark's is now a DII affiliate.

Will St. Mark's run the table in most sports? I guarantee that's the reason they moved!!

What are your thoughts football fans?????
This post was edited on 12/16 10:06 AM by DefensiveChaos50

St. Marks moved because of enrollment. Not because they "want to run the table". They had no choice but to step down.

I know coach Wilson on a personal level and believe me when I tell you the last thing the football team wanted to do at least, was to play a Division 2 schedule. They did everything they could to stay D1 and was granted a waiver to stay, but regarding the rules of their waiver they had to get their enrollment up before this season which they couldn't do unfortunately. They were competitive in D1 and even with the low enrollment reached the semi finals in the Division 1 playoff field that had 6 teams capable of winning a title.

SMH's declining enrollment will catch up to them in the next few years. The numbers for freshman football last year were very low. I have no doubt they will continue to be very competitive but depth will be an issue with class size declining every year.

Originally posted by HSftballlaxFan:
St. Marks moved because of enrollment. Not because they "want to run the table". They had no choice but to step down.

I know coach Wilson on a personal level and believe me when I tell you the last thing the football team wanted to do at least, was to play a Division 2 schedule. They did everything they could to stay D1 and was granted a waiver to stay, but regarding the rules of their waiver they had to get their enrollment up before this season which they couldn't do unfortunately. They were competitive in D1 and even with the low enrollment reached the semi finals in the Division 1 playoff field that had 6 teams capable of winning a title.
very well said HS-
If they wanted to drop to D2-they already could have played the past 2 years and probably would have taken a title or 2.

This years team has a very strong case to be considered the 2nd best team in De this past season.......2 in state losses to Champ and clear #1 WP......2 OOS losses to Montclair (best team to play a De opponent this year) and lost to ABS which would have competed or won the D1 Title up here.

ST. MARK'S HAS ALWAYS ELECTED TO PLAY DIVISION 1. THEIR ENROLLMENT ISN'T ANY LARGER THAN INDIAN RIVER'S WHO HAS 1200+ STUDENTS. THE 50-100 KIDS AREN'T MAKING THE DIFFERENCE THAT MUCH TO MOVE AN ENTIRE DIVISION.

ST. MARK'S IS STRUGGLING OTHER THAN BASEBALL AS FAR WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS.

THIS IS MY OPINION.
This post was edited on 12/17 8:24 AM by DefensiveChaos50

Originally posted by DefensiveChaos50:
ST. MARK'S HAS ALWAYS ELECTED TO PLAY DIVISION 1. THEIR ENROLLMENT ISN'T ANY LARGER THAN INDIAN RIVER'S WHO HAS 1200+ STUDENTS. THE 50-100 KIDS AREN'T MAKING THE DIFFERENCE THAT MUCH TO MOVE AN ENTIRE DIVISION.

ST. MARK'S IS STRUGGLING OTHER THAN BASEBALL AS FAR WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS.

THIS IS MY OPINION.

This post was edited on 12/17 8:24 AM by DefensiveChaos50

Not even close. St Marks enrollment used to be in the 1600 range or higher. The incoming freshman class in 2005 had 468 students and graduated over 400. The 2011 class graduated 368. This years senior class has 229 students. See a trend? Their total enrollment has been under 900 the past couple years. So St Marks never elected to play D1. Their enrollment dictated it. As someone stated they could have moved a few years ago but asked to stay. They could have won the last 2 D2 football championships if they moved. TopHill is right about declining numbers. Gonna be tough with only 20 or so players per class. Not even sure how good they will be next year. Losing most of the starters.

Indian River based on the State Of Delaware figures has 910 students this fall not 1200.

ADVERTISEMENT