ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Softball

89FanGuy

Water boy
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2019
Scrimmages starting up this weekend. Looking forward to the season. Not a lot of softball talk here, so hopefully there's someone else out there who takes an interest. My preseason Top 10....

1. Smyrna - returning state champs lost their top pitcher but were 3 deep there last year so should be fine in the circle. Offense is stout.
2. Appoquinimink - returning state runner-up. All 3 pitchers return and most of the offense is in tact. A lot of depth on this team and only lost 2 starters. A lot of depth on this team, so they shouldn't miss a beat.
3. DMA - Has three pitchers who could pretty much start for any team in the state. Problem is, only one can throw at a time. Didn't lose a lot, and a young offense from last season is another year older, so they'll be in the hunt for a title.
4. Caravel - Entire infield is back, including pitching. Need to fill out the outfield, but another program with a lot of depth. Offense is very good.
5. Sussex Tech - Good pitching and solid defense returns from last season. Offense was good, but got shut down in states last year. Looking to improve when that time comes again.
6. Indian River - Good team last season with an offense that was hit or miss. They didn't appear to get many reinforcements this year, so they're looking for a solid returning core to get more consistent.
7. St. George's - Started out slow last season, but found their groove after a 2-4 start. Good offensive team with solid pitching. They struggled a bit against top competition outside of their conference. Did beat Appo though, so always a threat.
8. Mount Pleasant - Really good pitching and a good enough offense. They don't play the toughest schedule, but 1 run losses to Appo and DMA, and 2 run loss to St G's last season shows this team can play with anyone.
9. Polytech - Made the tournament last season and only lost one player (not a pitcher). So pitching, defense, and offense should all be one year better. Looking to improve on last year's seeding.
10. Padua - Another team that didn't lose much (2 players) and made the tournament last season. Struggled against the top competition in the state for the most part (did only lose to DMA by 1 run). Put up double digit runs 9 times last season, so they'll be looking to spread that offense out a little more.

Reactions: ReturnOfTheGate
I miss covering softball, it's always been more fun than baseball to me. Smyrna just bashed their way to the chip last year, but I really like St. Georges' young core and Appo's very strong as well. Lake and Milford could still jump in there.

Reactions: 89FanGuy
I have Lake Forest just outside the top 10. Milford I'm not sure about. 16 seed from last year's state tournament. They were 9-9 and graduated their top pitcher. If they have an adequate replacement then they'll contend for a playoff spot.

I like your top ten. Some close games last year in the tournament, where draws could have played a role . I see Caravel is playing a stronger in state schedule this year

Last edited:
Scrimmages starting up this weekend. Looking forward to the season. Not a lot of softball talk here, so hopefully there's someone else out there who takes an interest. My preseason Top 10....

Just curious ... what do you think of Delmar? They were 11-7 last year, made the state final the year before. They have a ton of seniors this season if the juniors return. I really don't know much about them other than I saw them a few years ago and noticed how young they are. Now, those players are seniors, although they had several eighth-graders as well last season.

Just curious ... what do you think of Delmar? They were 11-7 last year, made the state final the year before. They have a ton of seniors this season if the juniors return. I really don't know much about them other than I saw them a few years ago and noticed how young they are. Now, those players are seniors, although they had several eighth-graders as well last season.

Yes. A lot of experience on that team. They did lose their top pitcher as well as a backup pitcher. Only one left from the roster last year was an 8th grader who I don’t know a lot about. Hitting and defense should be solid from a team who was in the title game just 2 seasons ago. If they get the pitching they certainly have the talent to be a tournament team.

Reactions: 84rider
Season starts tomorrow, so we should post updates and thoughts here and make it a thread for the season.

302Sports did a preseason top 10...

1. Smyrna
2. Caravel
3. Appoquinimink
4. DMA
5. Mt. Pleasant
6. Delmar
7. Newark Charter
8. Lake Forest
9. Indian River
10. Red Lion

Delaware Online (Brad Meyers) Top 5 from March 25th...

1. Smyrna
2. Appoquinimink
3. Caravel
4. Delaware Military Academy
5. Sussex Tech

Caravel opens tomorrow without the current Gatorade Player of the Year on the roster. Nikki Marcon is listed as the baseball team manager. That stinks because she is a lot of fun to watch, both behind the plate and at bat. She had her UD offer pulled after the coaching change last season.

My updated Top 10 - April 1, 2019

1. Smyrna 3-0
Quality Wins: Sussex Tech, Middletown
Quality Loses:

2. Appoquinimink 3-0
QW: Newark Charter, Padua
QL:

3. DMA 2-0
QW: Milford
QL:

4. Caravel 2-0
QW: Indian River
QL:

5. Sussex Tech 1-1
QW:
QL: Smyrna

6. Mount Pleasant
QW:
QL:

7. Wilmington Charter 2-0
QW: St. George's
QL:

8. Padua 1-1
QW:
QL: Appoqinimink

9. Dover 3-0
QW: Lake Forest, Indian River
QL:

10. St. George's 2-1
QW:
QL: Wilmington Charter

Wilmington Charter enters the top 10 with a couple of good wins. They seem to have found a pitcher which was a question mark entering the season. Dover has had a great start with two good wins to start the season. Indian River and Polytech drop just outside the top 10.

Milford beat Lake in the battle of the bat yesterday in what might end up being the year's most entertaining game. Milford's 5-1 so far, they might become a team to watch come late May...

Mount rolled over Glasgow, get their first test this coming Thursday at Appo

My updated top 10 - Week of 4/8

1. Smyrna 6-0
:: Also ranked 39th in the country by FloSoftball

2. Appoquinimink 6-0
:: Got passed WPenn with Mt Pleasant coming up. Back end of schedule is tough.

3. Caravel 7-0
:: Good win over Red Lion and edged Sussex Tech in NJ Leadoff Classic final

4. DMA 5-0
:: Close game against Milford, none of their next 9 games are easy.

5. Sussex Tech 5-2
:: 3 run loss to Smyrna, and 1 run loss to Caravel

6. Mt. Pleasant 6-0
:: Easy schedule so far, Appo this week will be telling.

7. Wilmington Charter 4-1
:: Only loss to Smyrna, schedule gets tougher as season moves on.

8. Dover 6-0
:: Winning close games against solid teams. Smyrna up next will be first big test.

9. Middletown 4-1
:: Impressive win over Padua. St. George's and Red Lion this week.

10. Milford 5-1
:: Only loss to DMA. Laurel and Sussex Tech coming up this week.

Next Five: St. George's, Laurel, Red Lion, Polytech, Indian River

My updated rankings - week of 4/15

1. Smyrna 8-0
- handled Dover and Sussex Central easily

2. Appoquinimink 8-0
- perfect game against Mt. Pleasant in 3-0 win

3. Caravel 7-0
- did not play this past week

4. DMA 7-0
- took out Padua and Newark Charter, highly touted game vs Smyrna was postponed

5. Sussex Tech 8-2
- lost 1 run game to Caravel, and beat 2x defending Virginia 6A state champs in 9 innings

6. Mt. Pleasant 7-1
- Pitching will keep them in games, but offense struggles against better teams. They get a couple of shots to prove something this week against William Penn and DMA.

7. Middletown 6-1
- Took out St. George's and Red Lion. Team on the rise.

8. Dover 7-2
- 10 runned by Smyrna and lost to CR 6-3. Armor has been chipped.

9. Indian River 5-3
- Back in the top 10 after an impressive weekend with wins over Lake Forest, Wilm Charter, and Red Lion in two days

10. Laurel 6-3
- A little up and down, beating Milford then dropping a close game to Delmar

Next 6: Newark Charter, Wilmington Charter, Milford, St. George's, Polytech, Delmar

My updated rankings - 4/22

1. Smyrna 10-1
- 2-0 loss to Bo Manor not enough to take away #1 spot in Delaware.

2. DMA 10-0
- Obvious #2 with wins over Caravel and Appo.

3. Appoquinimink 10-1
- Played DMA tight after the 1st inning.

4. Caravel 8-2
- Looking to bounce back after a tough loss to Delmar. Injuries haven't helped.

5. Sussex Tech 10-2
- Close to breaking the top 4.

6. Dover 10-2
- Will be tested by Delmar on Friday.

7. Middletown 7-2
- Started tough 8 game stretch with loss to Charter.

8. Delmar 8-3
- Enter the top 10 with 8 straight wins.

9. Mt. Pleasant 8-2
- Lost to surging Wm Penn team. Only two tough games left (DMA and St. George's).

10. Laurel 6-3
- One of seven teams in the mix for the last spot in top 10. All 3 loses are against teams I have ranked in the top 10, so that earns Laurel the advantage.

Next 6: Newark Charter, Wilmington Charter, Polytech, Indian River, William Penn, St. George's.

Updated Top 10 - 4/29

1. Smyrna 10-1
2. DMA 11-0
3. Appoquinimink 10-1
4. Caravel 8-2
5. Sussex Tech 10-2
6. Delmar 9-3
7. Dover 10-2
8. Indian River 8-5
9. William Penn 10-3
10. Mt. Pleasant 8-2

Next 6: Laurel, Newark Charter, Wilmington Charter, Polytech, Middletown, St. George's

Not a lot of action the past week due to spring break. Penn moves into the top 10. Time for the stretch run with a lot of good games to come and teams fighting for a playoff berth.

Final 7 days of regular season play (weather permitting of course) begins today. I don't have the softball points system handy, so I'm just gonna throw a guess out there as to which 16 teams make the tournament. Quite a few definites, then it gets kinda murky after that.

In: DMA, Smyrna, Appo, Caravel, Delmar, Mt. Pleasant, Dover, Sussex Tech, William Penn

Should be in: St. Georges, Newark Charter, Wilmington Charter, IR

Still alive: St. E, Laurel, Sussex Central, Milford, Red Lion, Padua, Middletown

Top 10 - 5/6

1. Smyrna 13-1
2. DMA 13-0
3. Appoquinimink 14-1
4. Sussex Tech 13-2
5. Delmar 12-3
6. Caravel 9-4
7. Dover 13-2
8. Indian River 10-5
9. Wilmington Charter 9-5
10. Middletown 8-6

Next 6: William Penn, St. George's, Newark Charter, Mt. Pleasant, Red Lion, Polytech

Final 7 days of regular season play (weather permitting of course) begins today. I don't have the softball points system handy, so I'm just gonna throw a guess out there as to which 16 teams make the tournament. Quite a few definites, then it gets kinda murky after that.

In: DMA, Smyrna, Appo, Caravel, Delmar, Mt. Pleasant, Dover, Sussex Tech, William Penn

Should be in: St. Georges, Newark Charter, Wilmington Charter, IR

Still alive: St. E, Laurel, Sussex Central, Milford, Red Lion, Padua, Middletown

Agreed with a lot of that. Here's what I got...

Conference auto-bids: DMA, Smyrna, Appo, Delmar, Mt. Pleasant (5)

Definite At-Larges: Sussex Tech, Caravel, Dover, Indian River (6,7,8,9)

Most likely (bases on remaining schedule): Newark Charter, William Penn (10,11)

Still Alive (have to see how schedule plays out): Wilmington Charter, St. George's, Middletown, Padua, Red Lion, Polytech, Laurel, Milford, Sussex Central, Caesar Rodney, Delmarva Christian

Middletown is interesting, in the non-definites - as they have the toughest schedule and that plays into the formula. If they run the table, they'll definitely be in and probably a top 8 seed. All the still alive down state teams are beating each other up and may all finish right around .500. Look for one or two of them to run the table to get in. Same goes for the up-staters. Charter (5 losses with 3 tough games left), StG's (5 losses with 4 tough games left) , RL (6 losses with 3 tough games left), and Padua (6 losses with 3 tough games left) need to make a run.

I see Middletown getting in and if two each (from north and south) make decent runs to get to 11/12 wins, that's 16.

Last edited:
This is what I found for points system.

https://www.doe.k12.de.us/cms/lib/D...pring Tournament Manual 2019 Final 5-6-19.pdf

Works differently than baseball, though they're the same in that you have to finish .500 or better.

Makes the upcoming games interesting for the following who could fall below that .500 mark:
Middletown 8-6 (4 games left)
Polytech 7-5 (6 games left)
Laurel 7-6 (5 games left)
Padua 7-6 (5 games left)
Red Lion 7-6 (5 games left)
Conrad 7-7 (4 games left)
Milford 7-7 (4 games left)
Sussex Central 7-7 (4 games)
Caesar Rodney 7-8 (3 games left)
Delmarva Christian 6-7 (5 games left)
Cape Henelopen 6-9 (3 games left)

DMA took care of Smyrna yesterday, that has to be a confidence booster for them heading into the tournament. They host Wilmington Charter today.

Middletown edged Milford, so they're getting closer to an at-large spot.

Newark Charter won and Sussex Tech pushes Poly closer to that .500 fault line.

Updated...

Middletown 9-6 (3 games left)
Polytech 7-6 (5 games left)
Laurel 7-6 (5 games left)
Padua 7-6 (4 games left) (game against St Mark's cancelled yesterday - don't see them making it up)
Red Lion 7-6 (5 games left)
Conrad 7-7 (4 games left)
Sussex Central 7-7 (4 games)

Milford 7-8 (3 games left)
Caesar Rodney 7-8 (3 games left)
Delmarva Christian 6-7 (5 games left)
Cape Henelopen 6-9 (3 games left)

Wondering if Delmarva Christian even factors into the state tourney (as a possible participant)? They play in the ESIAC conference with other Christian schools in Maryland and have a conference championship on 5/15 (per their schedule) which would put that the Friday before round 2 of the state playoff. Would be an odd time to play another game.

They probably have the option of participating in either the DIAA or the ESIAC tournament is my guess.

DMA beats Wilmington Charter 9-3 and Sussex Tech beats Dover 8-0. Padua also finished up an earlier delayed game with a win over St. E 9-0 and Newark Charter over MOT Charter 11-0.

Mt pleasant could miss tourney even if they win their conference they still need to be in top 25 in points. Their schedule could hurt them

A quick look at their schedule and Mount looks to be safe. Games against Appo/Penn/St. E along with DMA and St. Georges still to come should be good enough.

These last 3 days are about to be a marathon which could lead to some upsets come Wednesday.

Mount has a doubleheader today at Midway against St. Mark's and DMA, plays Concord at 11 am Saturday, then hosts St. Georges on Monday.

Middletown has a doubleheader at home with CR and Conrad today, so those are two instances to watch out for where a team could play themselves into a bad seed or out a good one.

Caravel has two tomorrow vs Charter and Newark Charter. That could shake up the standings.
Red Lion plays St George’s tomorrow which has playoff implications.
Padua and Polytech may have to finish strong and both play other teams looking to be in the tourney.

Things are certainly far from settled with just a few days left in the regular season.

Def some surprise scores from this weekend. How much will seedlings be affected by a handful of teams on the bubble and other teams close in points not being able to play their last game and could use a quality win.

Last edited:
DIAA just announced the last day for competition has been moved to Tuesday so it looks like the last games will be played and the seeds will come out late tomorrow night.

Day late on my updated top 10...

1. DMA 18-0
2. Smyrna 15-2
3. Appoquinimink 17-1
4. Sussex Tech 16-2
5. Caravel 12-5
6. Dover 15-3
7. Delmar 13-5
8. Indian River 13-5
9. Newark Charter 13-5
10. Middletown 11-6

Next 6: William Penn, St. George's, Polytech, Charter, Mt. Pleasant, Sussex Central

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT