ADVERTISEMENT

2023-24 Girls' Basketball Season Thread

ReturnOfTheGate

All-Conference
Mar 13, 2018
We're a little less than eight weeks away from the start of the regular season, so this will be the thread for girls' basketball this season. Have to think Ursuline with Banks and Brown are the favorites, but Sanford has the champion's advantage and Caravel is still pretty good. Can a public school team (Cape/Woodbridge/Appo/Smyrna/Polytech/A.I.) break through to the final four? And how good will St. E be with their new coach?

Reactions: J12
I'm really liking that Caravel team with the addition of transfers Cherish Bryant (Tatnall) & Jordin Tate (Ursuline) to go along with their core returners.

I like Cape to run through the downstate teams this year & have a shot at The Bob. Cape's Play Day on Black Friday w/ Ursuline & Caravel should be very interesting.

I'm really liking that Caravel team with the addition of transfers Cherish Bryant (Tatnall) & Jordin Tate (Ursuline) to go along with their core returners.

I like Cape to run through the downstate teams this year & have a shot at The Bob. Cape's Play Day on Black Friday w/ Ursuline & Caravel should be very interesting.
Word downstate .. Cape has 7th grader girl that can play with varsity right now.. My guess she won't stick around at Cape .. because Cape don't let 8th graders play varsity...My guess after this year .. She will transfer to Sanford or Ursuline for start her 8th grade year..

Word downstate .. Cape has 7th grader girl that can play with varsity right now.. My guess she won't stick around at Cape .. because Cape don't let 8th graders play varsity...My guess after this year .. She will transfer to Sanford or Ursuline for start her 8th grade year..
She wouldn't be eligible to play at either Ursuline or Sanford as an 8th grader. DIAA rules require a student to attend that school starting in at least 7th grade in order to be eligible in 8th grade. It's a rule that has been on the books for a while that has been enforced for the past 4 or 5 years.

Reactions: Hoops down State 6

Ursline is best team in the State.. I watched Cape vs Ursuline yesterday at Cape.. Cape went 2 guards and 3 bigs.. Way too slow for Ursline.. G.G and Taylor. . Did watever they want.. Cape has no wing players or guards that can defend Ursline guards.. No contest.. Cape better be lucky they downstate because I see at least 5 teams up state way better than them..

Saw Cape against Caravel the next day and yeah, Cape's gonna run into some trouble upstate and it wouldn't surprise me if Smyrna gives them problems (they play December 12th).

Caravel meanwhile has depth and talent. I know Ursuline is the favorite and for good reason, but Caravel can't be discounted either.

I was able to catch the Neumann-Goretti/Caravel scrimmage last Wednesday & Caravel beat them 3 out of the first 4 quarters with the starters. There was a guy there that said that same Neumann Goretti team had beat Sanford by like 25 in a scrimmage days before that. Caravel is loaded at the guard position, I plan on maybe getting out to the Woodbridge/Caravel game this Thursday.

Just a different level of basketball, plain and simple….talent wise

Just a different level of basketball, plain and simple….talent wise
Coaching too.. Downstate stuck in there mind pass ball 20 times and then shoot.. That style been gone 20 years ago... Downstate has plenty of talent but coaching is horrible..smh..

No suprise... Caravel is super loaded.. They have 10 players that can start anywhere in state... Woodbridge was ranked way too high.. They only have 1 player.. Smh
10 players that will start anywhere in state, stop it man Caravel has a 7-man rotation that is very tough but they are not 10 deep Hoops...LoL

Hell no.. No shot... Taylor and Banks will win next 4 State tites.... Banks is on whole different level then anybody in DE....
I have seen them both & I think Caravel has a real good shot this year. I think they are by far the top 2 teams though, Sanford does not have the guards to keep up w/ either of them this year.

I have seen them both & I think Caravel has a real good shot this year. I think they are by far the top 2 teams though, Sanford does not have the guards to keep up w/ either of them this year.
Havnt seen Carvel yet.. I was going go see them scrimmage Cape..

I got to see Ursuline & Caravel both over at the She Got Game Classic yesterday as well. Ursuline lost to a very good St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) team 55-52 I believe, Caravel beat Western (Baltimore, MD) 53-29. The talent over there was crazy.

I got to see Ursuline & Caravel both over at the She Got Game Classic yesterday as well. Ursuline lost to a very good St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) team 55-52 I believe, Caravel beat Western (Baltimore, MD) 53-29. The talent over there was crazy.
Yea super crazy... I never thought Cape was good this year.. Average at Best.. No guards... They can not create there shots... but iam tell you this... Cape has girl in 7th grader.. I wanted see what buzz was about.. I attend a game .. Man she is something special... Think her last name Johnson.. Beacon Midddle school.. Lewes DE.. Bye far best I seen from downstate in many years... She can do it all.. Smh.. Really smooth game.. She definitely can start over Cape guards right now. Easliy..

Reactions: 84rider and J12
I've seen 10 of the 24 tournament teams from last year already this season and my thoughts for those 10 teams are as follows.

1 - Ursuline: Banks, Brown and Bolden...a law firm that's gonna be hard to stop
2 - Caravel: They've got the guard play, if the two young bigs come along faster, they can challenge Ursuline
3 - Appo: Talent is there, size is not, chemistry is still loading
4 - A.I.: same as Appo with a bigger propensity for slow starts unfortunately
5 - St. E: Once Tye Taylor gets those girls on the same page, look out
6 - Archmere: Gritty, gutty team that might not overwhelm you with talent, but they're pesky
7 - Cape: Young, needs more scoring punch
8 - Saint Mark's: Lauren McDonald is a first-team player, they could be a surprise elite eight team
9 - Woodbridge: Robinson, Larrimore...and that's it
10 - Smyrna: Still very young, tough on defense, offensive struggles will be their bugaboo until they get that fixed.

Hell no.. No shot... Taylor and Banks will win next 4 State tites.... Banks is on whole different level then anybody in DE....
#2 Caravel beats #1 Ursuline tonight 67-63 after being down 11-0 to start the game, so much for “no shot”. 😳😂😳😂😳😂

We're getting closer to the state tournament and it feels like everyone is in agreement that Caravel and Ursuline are the two best teams. Could St. E/Sanford/Padua make it tough on them?

Sanford could end up having to face one of the top 3 seeded teams in the quarterfinals once the bracket comes out, they are looking like they could end up around a 6 seed if I am looking at the points correctly.

Did anyone see that AI vs Howard game last night?! It was amazing and a great atmosphere! AI came back to win. Tough team who didn't give up and coached very well.
Hats off for sure to AI and their coaching staff; congrats on a great accomplishment of making the final four. In a world of recruiting and students transferring in HS sports for a public school that is struggling with enrollment to make the final four is a huge accomplishment.

Hats off for sure to AI and their coaching staff; congrats on a great accomplishment of making the final four. In a world of recruiting and students transferring in HS sports for a public school that is struggling with enrollment to make the final four is a huge accomplishment.
AI hung with Caravel into the third quarter. Scored the first 3 points to make it 24-20, but the Bucs just took over after that. Consider where this program was just a few seasons ago and where it is now.

Yes it is.. Mad respect..

BIG win for Sanford, makes Tuesday’s game agains Caravel even more interesting now.
Nobody in State of DE have a chance in hell beating Ursline Girls.. They will win 4 straight tiles.. Unless them NIL deals reach millions.. Then Banks and Taylor gone..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT