ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Season Underway

MTownCavs09

JV stand out
Sep 11, 2007
Tomorrow starts practice and not much conversation going on here so I figured I’d try and jump start it.

There are some intriguing scrimmages coming up this week with Sussex Central vs. Odessa, and Sussex Tech vs. Seaford on Friday as well as DMA vs. William Penn and Woodbridge vs. Hodgson on Saturday.

There was a little bit of a shake up with schools and divisions but some of the top teams from last year are still top dogs with some new comers fighting to make some noise.

In Class 3A Smyrna are the defending champs and should be at the top until someone takes it from them. Dover looks primed for one of their best seasons since 2011 with the amount of talent returning. Appo is coming off their first ever Class 3A Division 1 crown after winning the tiebreakers over Sallies and Middletown all while returning one of the better running backs this upcoming season with Daniel Mcconomy. Sallies returns what was an incredibly young team last year that made the playoffs and gave Bill Dinardo his 300th win. Middletown brings back some key talent and are always in the thick of things come December. St. George’s has moved down to the southern division, St. Marks takes their place and looks to show that they belong with the big dogs once again. A New head Coach at Caesar Rodney and Hodgson whom are playing every game of theirs on the road should make for an interesting season.

In Class 2A, it always starts with Division 3 with teams such as Lake Forest, Woodbridge, Delmar, and new arrival Laurel. Any conversation for a playoff berth or more should begin with these 4 schools. The Privates up north seem to always have an argument with the previous statement with Archmere, Friends, DMA, Howard and Red Lion all with the potential to call themselves Champs when it’s all said and done.

In Class 1A which I might consider the biggest unknown when it comes to who is the team to beat. Laurel and Odessa moved up, St. Elizabeth’s lost more talent than was able to replace. Seaford just finished running through a mass exodus with several big name players finding homes elsewhere. So in what could be one of the most intriguing classes, Teams such as Tatnall, Charter, A. I. Dupont could all finally find success on the gridiron and Communities might finally start rallying behind these smaller schools, more kids eventually come out for try outs and one school has a chance to win their first ever playoff game and or championship.

All in all, it’s an exciting time of year!

Tomorrow starts practice and not much conversation going on here so I figured I’d try and jump start it.

There are some intriguing scrimmages coming up this week with Sussex Central vs. Odessa, and Sussex Tech vs. Seaford on Friday as well as DMA vs. William Penn and Woodbridge vs. Hodgson on Saturday.

There was a little bit of a shake up with schools and divisions but some of the top teams from last year are still top dogs with some new comers fighting to make some noise.

In Class 3A Smyrna are the defending champs and should be at the top until someone takes it from them. Dover looks primed for one of their best seasons since 2011 with the amount of talent returning. Appo is coming off their first ever Class 3A Division 1 crown after winning the tiebreakers over Sallies and Middletown all while returning one of the better running backs this upcoming season with Daniel Mcconomy. Sallies returns what was an incredibly young team last year that made the playoffs and gave Bill Dinardo his 300th win. Middletown brings back some key talent and are always in the thick of things come December. St. George’s has moved down to the southern division, St. Marks takes their place and looks to show that they belong with the big dogs once again. A New head Coach at Caesar Rodney and Hodgson whom are playing every game of theirs on the road should make for an interesting season.

In Class 2A, it always starts with Division 3 with teams such as Lake Forest, Woodbridge, Delmar, and new arrival Laurel. Any conversation for a playoff berth or more should begin with these 4 schools. The Privates up north seem to always have an argument with the previous statement with Archmere, Friends, DMA, Howard and Red Lion all with the potential to call themselves Champs when it’s all said and done.

In Class 1A which I might consider the biggest unknown when it comes to who is the team to beat. Laurel and Odessa moved up, St. Elizabeth’s lost more talent than was able to replace. Seaford just finished running through a mass exodus with several big name players finding homes elsewhere. So in what could be one of the most intriguing classes, Teams such as Tatnall, Charter, A. I. Dupont could all finally find success on the gridiron and Communities might finally start rallying behind these smaller schools, more kids eventually come out for try outs and one school has a chance to win their first ever playoff game and or championship.

All in all, it’s an exciting time of year!
Just out of curioslty, do you have names of the Seaford players who supposedly left?

I know it's only day 1 but finally excited for football to be back. After camps and 7v7 its time for these kids to finally play as a team for their schools, their communities and themselves. Best of luck to everyone going out today and I hope for a safe and healthy season for everyone.

Reactions: MTownCavs09
WTH.... This statement is so far off. "ALWAYS".... What has shown that District 3 is the Class of 2A. Of the teams you have named only Woodbridge has had 2A playoff success in this new format and followed that up with a 2-8 record which finished with three 30 pt losses to end the season. Laurel was good in 1A but are now moving up and lost a group of 3-4 year starters to graduation. Lake Forest/Delmar plays teams tough but can't win in the playoffs. Are their records inflated because they just beat on each other and the other lowly District 3 teams? None of those teams have been close to winning a championship since 2018. District 2 has won both 2A championships. Had arguably 3 of the best QBs in the state regardless of class the last two years in Tattersall, Albero and Matthews. Losing Tattersall and Albero will definitely hurt District 2. District1 may be the district to watch out for with Caravel and Red Lion moving over Newark has the transfer from McKean at QB.

Reactions: Longagoplayer
couldn’t agree more, you cannot talk 2A and not put Caravel at the very top of the list, it is their title to lose

4 that I can think of off hand are:
the Matthews kids (3 of them I believe) all at Middletown
Their QB Careen Bolden went to Decatur
Wow! If those guys have all left that will be devastating for Seaford. Bolden could be all-state in 2 sports. He's a great athlete.

couldn’t agree more, you cannot talk 2A and not put Caravel at the very top of the list, it is their title to lose
I agree returning a bunch of seniors and played well all last year, I think they are heavy favorites to win this year.

“ In Class 2A, it always starts with Division 3 with teams such as Lake Forest, Woodbridge, Delmar, and new arrival Laurel. Any conversation for a playoff berth or more should begin with these 4 schools. The Privates up north seem to always have an argument with the previous statement with Archmere, Friends, DMA, Howard and Red Lion all with the potential to call themselves Champs when it’s all said and done.”

Granted I haven’t been around as long as most here. And certainly know a lot less. But this seems inaccurate to me with the exception of Woodbridge. Lake and Delmar have been pretty irrelevant over the past few years.

Conversely, Friends, Caravel, Archmere, DMA, Howard and even St Marks have been better than all of those teams…at least over the past 4ish years. You included Red Lion too, but they haven’t been all that great (compared to the aforementioned teams).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT