ADVERTISEMENT

3-game final

8yaz

Top 100 Prospect
Mar 22, 2007
I see where the final of the College Basketball Invitational Tournament is a best of three game series. I actually like that idea. Wonder what everyone else thinks of that idea for High School, and/or NCAA Div I?

Not a big fan. One of the best parts of the tourney is the one game elimination. There's no room for error

Are the CBI games even televised? Some teams even decline invitations to enter this tournament presumably because they are embarassed. I guess they thought that adding the best of 3 series concept to the championship would add some spice to it...I say do away with this tournament altogether. The beauty of March Madness is the one and done concept so I am not a fan of the best of 3 series or this tournament as a whole.

From the words of Dave Chapelle (as Rick James) "I wish I had more hands...so I could give this tournament four thumbs down.".
This post was edited on 3/26 8:30 AM by J12

Not a good idea at all..never water down or step on "good" product....the madness that is March is perfect as far as the actual games are concerned

No and no. And fyi, some teams decline invites to this tourney because it costs 35-50k to enter.

I could see entering the CSI and/or CIT or CBI based on where your program was at any given time. The late Rick Majerus entered his St. Louis squad about 4-5 years ago. They were basically a .500 like all sophomore and freshmen team. It allowed them to extend the season. He strictly used it for developmental purposes. I think the team made the NCAA tourney the next couple of years.

This post was edited on 3/28 9:28 AM by Chesdel

I've never even heard of the CBI tournament until this year, but when I saw their format, it intrigued me because I have always been a believer that one game only determines who was the better team that day. A series, even if it's only three games, is more indicative of who is actually the better team. I don't see how making the final of the NCAA Div 1 tourney or the DE HS tourney a 3-game series would ruin a good thing. Nothing else would change except the final. Oh well, you guys weighed in that you hate it, so I won't bring that up again.

Yaz. I could envision a double elimination in the final 4 of the DE HS baseball tournament. I don't think it would be given serious consideration by DIAA but I think it would mirror the NCAA model to a degree.

One game final works well for every sport except baseball. Baseball championships should never be decided by one game.

ADVERTISEMENT