ADVERTISEMENT

All-State

Sep 9, 2014
So now that the season is over, who do you guys think will be All-State? And when is it chosen?
I've said it all year, Warren (G), Smith (K/P), Reeder (S), and Freeborn (OLB) should definitely get either First or Second team.

I think the entire starting Salesianum defense & offense should make all state !!

I've been saying it all season John Flamer...lake forest. And Juwan Morrow DMA. Both were all state last year and were even more impressive this year as seniors

Lol You have got to be kidding me really? Does anyone know highschool football in here or is this just a Sallies forum ? Come on guys give credit where credit is due . Ok I can see Warren but did anyone go to the game Saturday night and watched the #1 ranked team this year all year ? I would have to say at least 3 guys on their offensive line deserve ALLSTATE ie: B. Dooley, J. Stanley, T. Skinner, E. Lewis. These guys paved the way for R. Carroll and M. Watts . Running backs definitley Reggie Carroll , and M. Watts and Watts should get special teams too and Carroll at defensive corner. As for DEFENSE Myric Rhodes, Carroll, Murray , Stanley , Lewis , and Skinner . There is a reason this team went 12-0 this year and won the state title just saying give credit where credit is due . Saturday night should have opened the eyes of any doubters. Other standouts I see is Williams from St. Mark's, Henderson from AI, Kane Sussex Tech, there are many more just a few off the top of my head .

Reeder and warren should get all state for sals and I believe M-town will have a few same with Tech Kane and probably couple others from them but Penn should have the most

This post was edited on 12/1 9:48 PM by Sallies101

Agreed! Middletown will have a few, sallies and tech as well, but like defenserest stated, there was a reason why Penn went undefeated. They had a standout at just about every position on the feild, on all three phases of the game. I'd be shocked if the entire starting line ups for offense and defense don't get something, even honorable mention.

Same went for two years ago when Mtown went undefeated, every starter earned some kind of Allstate/all conference honors. The 12-0 penn team deserves that recognition as well.

Boys like Auguste and flamer and savage who are all great athletes and also deserve to be mentioned, will be over shadowed by the Hodgson and penn players because of their dominance in the season or playoffs when the majority of the state was watching.

Nonetheless, whoever earns such honor, congratulations!

HSftballaxFan I have to agree with you completely with WP and yes I believe 2012 MT had 21 positional all-state players from 1st team thru Honorable mention, but I believe there were some very good players throughout the league that should get some mention, one position that obviously 2014 RB class is really stacked this year Carroll, Watts,Kane, Selby bros. Savage Auguste , , #9 Concord, #33 & & 7 MT ( I believe the reason the Cavs went as far as did, ) I'm sure there are many more , just going off what I seen this year, but WP lines D & O really were dominate all season I think should get the major of consideration. IMO

So in delaware your personal stats and college offers are really pointless when it comes to AS? If you aren't from a championship team you can pretty much forget about it? ( just recalling a good Sallies player, Gregory, who was hurt half the season last year and still made 2nd team AS). With a young football player coming into hs next year seems like he should be considering schools for football more than academics if he wants to get noticed in delaware. When is the voting and when does the selections become public?

So far I heard Buck Jones(HVT) and Avery Roberts (Concord) got 1st Team Linebackers.

John Flamer got defensive player of the year while Jones got offense. Very surprised to not see DJ Cornish not make one of the top 3 teams at LB. Definitely don't think there was that many LBs better than him(if any) but then again he did miss the final 2 games,

@smack jack. He's a great player and rightly worked his was up from second team last year. I've been pulling for him and Morrow throughout these messages. Just not sure he's the POY. Weldon and Schneuder were just as worthy.

114 tackles and a 10.4 ave per game means nothing in this ridiculous state?

How does a kid who starts all four years on varsity and amasses 324 tackles 202 of them solo.. 12 sacks, 3 picks, 12 passes deflected, and 8 fumble recoveries never get picked for 1st , 2nd, 3rd or even honorable mention?

9th grade at ILB for Red Lion 65 tackles and a 26 tackle performance vs Penns Grove.. while missing 3 games due to ACL sprain

10th Grade at OLB .. 13-0 State champion recording 66 tackles and 7 sacks

11th grade splitting time between OLB and ILB.. Tore two ligaments in thumb the second game of the season that required surgery post season and played with a hand cast all season but still recorded 79 tackles and 2 picks.

12th grade recorded 114 tackles (84 solo) at a 10.4 tackles per game and 6 passes deflected..which by all recorded stats was the best in the state.

Yeah I am biased and thats my sons numbers but I will put them up vs anyones in the state ever.. ,,, I never pimped my son on here and I knew the Red Lion thing would hurt him in this regard or at least I thought it might .. but in the back of my mind I HOPED adults would not screw hard working kids over for their own agendas.. guess I was wrong.

This post was edited on 12/3 8:17 AM by ravensrooster2

This post was edited on 12/3 10:09 AM by ravensrooster2

Jawnsy I agree. I am happy for all the kids who made All State. But the selection process is very subjective and some kids do not get proper recognition. My all time favorite example is some kid from Mckean that only made third team All State in the 70's. He went on to make the College and NFL hall of fames. Some of the older posters may remember Randy White. Currently I feel that QB Ben Campbell from Newark should have received some All State recognition. And Chucky August from Laurel certainly was better than third team RB. He was second in the state in rushing with over 1900 yards. I am sure all of the posters have a player or two they feel was under rated.

But congrats to all that made All State.

@RR

that's some sick numbers!!

I like your son and Middletown's LB Luke E.
every year it's the same bulls##t...

Originally posted by spartakos:

@RR

that's some sick numbers!!

I like your son and Middletown's LB Luke E.
every year it's the same bulls##t...
Thank You Sparty... I am not mad,, as I told him when we decided to stay in DE .. I told him you could have 200 tackles and you will never make all state ,, The fact you were at Red Lion coupled with being at Caravel you have no shot.. is what it is.. Its funny I am more annoyed than he is,, He said "DAD its Caravel we expected this" LOL

This post was edited on 12/2 10:39 PM by ravensrooster2

@RR

tell him to use "this" and work harder and prove himself....
1 year from now , it won't even matter...

good luck at wrestling and enjoy the moment!

I feel I have to give thanks out though to Coach Maul at St Georges... He in a radio pre-game interview gave props to my boy calling him one of the best LB's in the state... Heres hoping Coach Maul and ST G has continued success...

Originally posted by spartakos:

@RR

tell him to use "this" and work harder and prove himself....
1 year from now , it won't even matter...

good luck at wrestling and enjoy the moment!
I will.. it didnt phase him... He is loving wrestling and knows what he wants to be and has a solid plan..

This post was edited on 12/3 7:49 AM by ravensrooster2

RR, I agree our system is flawed. Caravel is often over looked for All State selections. I mean how does Savage only end up on 3rd team? I think your son, Badson and Groome all deserved All State consideration as well. Tell your son congrats on a great high school career. I hope to see him playing college ball.

Alright' I'll ask. What's the reasoning for you guys saying Caravel kids are overlooked?

Originally posted by Lazertron:
Alright' I'll ask. What's the reasoning for you guys saying Caravel kids are overlooked?
Taking the bias out of it it,, It's simply coaches are lazy and fill in the ballot with "all conference"players.. Caravel is an independent and don't have all conference player's lists to select from..

This post was edited on 12/2 11:54 PM by ravensrooster2

I do not mean Caravel kids only. There are many groups of kids that tend to get overlooked. D2 kids in particular get very few All State spots. Teams that do not belong to a conference or have an All conference team tend to get less recognition. And obviously any kid on a losing team gets lots less attention. Caravel in particular falls into the category of being D2 and no conference. So it is harder for their kids to get All State.

In 2012, when Caravel went undefeated and won the state championship, they had exactly one player make All-State: Pierce Ripanti. I'm not sure what the bias is, but it's obvious it exists.

Originally posted by IncognitoFanDE:
In 2012, when Caravel went undefeated and won the state championship, they had exactly one player make All-State: Pierce Ripanti. I'm not sure what the bias is, but it's obvious it exists.
It exist and everyone knows where it comes from.. ...

This post was edited on 12/3 7:52 AM by ravensrooster2

Originally posted by Eddie Shore:
Jawnsy I agree. I am happy for all the kids who made All State. But the selection process is very subjective and some kids do not get proper recognition. My all time favorite example is some kid from Mckean that only made third team All State in the 70's. He went on to make the College and NFL hall of fames. Some of the older posters may remember Randy White. Currently I feel that QB Ben Campbell from Newark should have received some All State recognition. And Chucky August from Laurel certainly was better than third team RB. He was second in the state in rushing with over 1900 yards. I am sure all of the posters have a player or two they feel was under rated.

But congrats to all that made All State.
I can top that. I had dinner Saturday night with a guy who was the dominant defensive lineman in the state his senior year at Sallies. He was all-american at Maryland, the 7th player taken in the NFL draft and won a Super Ring with the Raiders.

He did not even get honorable mention All State in Delaware.

BTW -- Randy White got 2nd team AS at fullback his senior year. Not 3rd team. At least the guy ahead of him had a nice career at Villanova when they were playing D1 football.

There will never be an all state team where everybody is totally satisfied.

As a Big S fan I believe they got appropriate recognition.

Now let me add this. The 11th grade student who was named 2nd string DB is their best all around FB player at this time and will only get better. Is that what they call irony? I will leave the answer to my more literate brethren.

Congratulations to all that were in the arena. The honors are nice but my sense is that the experience of playing is more meaningful in the long run.

@RR

All-State and All-Conference is pretty much horse tradin. If you don't have a partner to trade with, it is a very difficult process. I have little doubt that there are those who still have an axe to grind, but another key element is the simple politcs involved in the process.

I am sure you went to your sons banquet and I have little doubt that the people who know your son best, gave him the recognition he so richely deserves. With the good Lord willing, you will continue to take joy in the accomplisments and success of your family. Don't worry about what a group of people who don't know the first thing about your son decided. You know what he is about, you know what he is and will be. Take pride in the little boy that you have turned into a great young man, with a promising future. I promise you, with the foundation you have laid for him, the success he will achieve in life will mean much more than any recognition he was denied.

Thanks Ikey.. eh Im over it.. I vented enough said.. I certainly wouldn't want to take anything fron the kids that were selected..

Threedogs3, the best DT in the state received 1st team and DPOY so yes he did receive votes.

ADVERTISEMENT