ADVERTISEMENT

All-State

Not even close Lewis from Penn could of doubled his tackles an sacks if he played Lakes schedule

Not even close Lewis from Penn could of doubled his tackles and sacks if he played Lakes schedule

Oh so we're retorting to the schedule excuse huh? Well apparently everyone else thought different. Also I'll take the guy who was the main threat on offense(as a RB) constantly being worn down who still went out there and dominated every snap at DT. It's not like Lake is some big time school so there's no bias from the voters. Flamer deserved DPOY and 1st team DT.

I have to agree with DOGS that Lewis kid from Penn got screwed he was fast and strong up front and deserved to be somewhere on that list but didnt make it . And if you watch the film on that kid you will see . Ashame but congrats to all who made it thats a big accomplishment .

Kids on "real good" Championship teams always have a few that end up getting screwed.......
The whole process is flawed because most of these teams probably don't even keep stats for these kids. I remember when (back in the day) the NJ at least kept track of TD leaders. I'm not sure if other states keep weekly stats, but it would certainly help!!!

I was one of those kids. Someone on my team playing the same position got 1st Team and I got Honorable Mention, and I had nearly 300 more yards then him, with a couple more TD's.......lol Its ALWAYS been flawed!!!

Swag-

You're right. It is flawed, although it is better than the way it was when I played (I believe only the media selected All-State w/o input from coaches in the mid 90's).

It is a shame and nature of post-season awards. Being the best player on a team doesn't merit all state, and that's a tough pill to swallow. And championship teams tend to garner more postseason awards mainly because a) the players are pretty darn good and b) they are the bigger focus for the media.

Coaches not seeing all the players in the state make for tough decisions. It's not like college where the selection committee gets gametape from the candidates- you can't go off of stats (other than scoring) because they are always inflated/inconsistent. Northern teams see more northern teams due to scheduling in the Blue Hen so they probably get more of the votes as was apparent in only 1 1st teamer on offense from lower Delaware (and there were some damn fine teams in the south this year.)

This board does a great job of posting highlights during the season- I would love to see more! I think that could only help the voting process!

Kudos to those who made this list, and hopefully those jaded by not making it will use the experience in a positive way to better themselves as they move forward.

Harken by to the days when the All-State team was comprised of eleven (11) positions.

Why would you want coaches voting?? Every coach I've ever interviewed has said the only teams they pay attention to are their own and that week's opponent. Coaches aren't the great source for all-state that many think they are.

WOW...I'd like to thank Caravel Academy's administration, coaches, teachers and entire CA family, they are all first team all-state. They must be in order to have continual state champion football and baseball teams without an individual star?

For once, I thought they finally got the big awards right. Jones was a stud. When Hodgson lines up in an empty backfield and runs the same QB sweep right every play and everybody in the whole stadium knows it's coming and you can't stop it and they win the state championship doing it, you are OPOY. To me, he was a no brainer. Saw DPOY debate, say what you will about Flamer, the kid was a monster. He was getting double teamed and triple teamed every play and he was eating fullbacks coming at him in the couple games I saw him play and he still made play after play. You make the argument for the Penn kid playing Lake's schedule. I said put Flamer on Penn with those horses where he isn't doubled teamed every play and see the amount of damage that he would have done. I don't want hear about stats unless an independent group does them because everybody inflates their kids' stats. Some teams credit a tackle if the kid is breathing in a 5 yd radius of a runner get tackled. Penn probably had a number of kids in the running for lineman of the year, their line was fantastic. Glad they all received recognition, they deserved it. Which is why I thought Penn Rb wasn't the offensive player of year, at least at the games I was at he wasn't touched until he was 7-10 yards downfield.

I know I'm totally biased but after having watched Ray Jones Jr. for 4 years, he would have been my choice for DPOY too. Wonder if anyone has ever won both offense and defense before? If not him I thought Lake from Penn should have been DPOY.
Other random thoughts... Savage from CA 3rd team??? Completely understand rr2's frustration as his son was the best open field tackler I saw all year.imho Surprised Lewis from Penn was left off of list and the MT RB's. And don't see how Burton as a TE qualifies for the lineman award. Why not give an OL and DL POY award? Overall I am excited for the kids that made it as I know many of them. Can't wait to see the Blue/Gold rosters and congrats to all that made it.

Not sure how this would work, but I'm entertained by the fact if having the players on the field vote.

They can't vote for anyone on their team obviously, to take some of the bias out of it.

Something like the Top 100 that the NFL does every year. Those players are voted upon by the players. There is a flaw that the kids will vote for their friends from other schools, so the list that is compiled by the players will only count 30-40-50 percent of the way. Then the coaches and media members can compile their own and work it that way.

The kids on the field know who's an all state and who isn't, just simply by going up against them. Week in and week out. A coach is going to give you a coaches point of view.

They should do it like baseball. Send in your stats, every coach sits in a room and gives stats, coaches vote (you can't vote for your own player) and whoever has the most votes gets the recognition. This sending in votes and letting the media vote is ridiculous.

Just curious have been out of country all week first time I had a chance to respond, not sure how the selection process or the lack of is done? Do the players selected have to be 1st team all conference / all catholic league etc., because how the h*%! can both St. Mark's RB's get 3rd team over the Middletown's RB's both MT had over 600+ yards each over them and (1) 1320yds w/19td & the other 1378 w/17 tds . St. Mark's not even close ! Seems Coach Wilson must of made some back door deal. There were players selected that didn't even play the position they were given the selection for, leave out a LB from Caravel how was probably top 3 in state, I can see why there so much frustration with DE All-state selections/

Mobhits, the St.Marks backs were fine picks. Normand was the best blocking fullback in the state and they were both weapons in the passing game. Look at the whole picture. St. Marks' backfield wasn't padding their stats against Charter, Appo, DelCastle, AI, and Glasgow either.

Neither did MT backs, played 1 half in 4 games, just saying if they wanted pad stats they both could have well over 1800 yds! think this might be the first year MDP has even given any stats on his players I don't think MDP really puts his players stats before the team accomplishments. Not stating that St. Mark's RB's didn't have a good season but they also had a great O-line to run behind, just stating that MT backs were really over looked! To bad for #7 how was a senior!

E,Lewis from Wp Three Dog is not the best on Wp let alone best in the state. He could have made a team. But he is not the best on his team. #66 Tough Run Stopper.......Then Burton is a Beast..

Middletown's line was terrible??? Come on they had a top o line. You weren't stating the Middletown backs were overlooked in your short sighted opinion you said that Wilson must have been working back door deals and basically discounted what backs from St. Marks did this year. I never saw Middletown play but I saw St. Marks play about 5 times including playoffs. Their value to their offensive team was much more than rushing stats and they don't play a conference schedule half full of pushovers. That might have been why they were picked, I am glad they don't just pick the team based on coach kept stats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT