ADVERTISEMENT

Blue&Gold

Teams will be announced like second week of Jan. The School Coches should have been notified and then Public will know in Jan.

Some Players have already been notified and told what teams, but I'm curious Who decides what senior players go to blue/gold? Is it political like all state? Why do some schools have one player while other schools have three or four players going to blue/gold?

My understanding is (all) All-State & All Conference seniors automatically are selected,

All state and All conference players are not automatically selected for the game. In some cases those players are not even nominated by their coach. The Blue Gold game is about a lot more then football and some players aren't mature enough to handle the experience. Players must have character verification forms filled out by the coach and the schools principal... Each head coach nominates a player they feel would represent the character and maturity required by DFRC to participate in the hand in hand programs, these may not always be the teams top tier players. Rosters are made up of 36 kids, so after these first nominations are made by respective coaches the rest of ther roster is selected by the Blue and Gold staffs respectively. There will always be a few deserving players who are left out because of the sheer numbers.... The DFRC Blue Gold game is the second longest running all star game in the country and has raised millions of dollars for children's with disabilities. So yes this is a football game, but let's remember what the game is played for.

Blitz thanks for clarity, I miss read the blue / gold participant nomination pocess

There's several people not making the Blue&Gold game that should and it makes know since why they aren't on the Roosters.

@Football...pert18 Tiberi from St. Es is a stud and Top of his class didn't make it and that's a great person to represent your school

I know a couple downstate D linemen in the south that should make it with ease ... Not saying any names ...
TECH, LAKE FOREST, LAUREL

You can not relate the B/G in any way to the all state and all conference selections. This is not purely a "all star" game. The players ability is not the 1st, 2nd, or maybe even 3rd on the list of why/how they make it. Are there some deserving players that don't make it? Sure, but there are many reasons for that and politics is not one, at least for this game. You also have to realize that each coach gets to put one player on the team. So after the automatics the B/G coaches my be left with few certain positions and no need for more players at certain positions.

3dogs. Not to take anything from Tiberi but Mcloskey from St. Es ( this years blue gold player) is also a class act. The small schools ( DMA St. Es Conrad and Archmere) only have one football player from their schools.

Agree and them schools shouldn't have more than one kid.After the coachs who are coaching take there kids there's not many spots left.I know Ziemba from St.Marks didn't make it and there's know way he shouldn't be on the roster.

Originally posted by Threedogs3:
Agree and them schools shouldn't have more than one kid.After the coachs who are coaching take there kids there's not many spots left.I know Ziemba from St.Marks didn't make it and there's know way he shouldn't be on the roster.
There is no way to know that... Do you know its a 6 page application for each kid signed off on by HC, AD and Principle/Headmaster on character? Like others have said football ability is just one of other factors... I don't know Ziemba or anyone else from Adam or his record.. But I do know if the HC nominates them and if they clear the process then they should get in..

This post was edited on 1/9 8:12 AM by ravensrooster2

I know the process I played in the Blue&Gold game and the process isn't what people think it is I know for a fact there's several names on here that people have received detentions and suspensions from school and suspended from games.

BLUE TEAM - Head Coach: Frank Moffett (Hodgson)

Quadree Henderson - A.I. duPont
John Nocket - Archmere
Cody Hoesterey - Brandywine
Dennis Robinson - Caravel
Robert Heintzen - Caravel
Lloyd Badson - Caravel
Jonathan Zitofsky - Caravel
Matthew Oliver - Charter of Wilmington
Brycen Alleyne - Concord
Zackary Zupan - Concord
Jacob Grajewski - Conrad
Juwan Morrow - DMA
Warren Underwood - Delcastle
Daryl Smith - Dickinson
Ray Jones - Hodgson
Jacob Jones - Hodson
Dwight Chavis - Hodgson
Kyle Taylor - Hodgson
Elijah Ralph - Howard
John Fischer - Mount Pleasant
Isiah Woodland - Moyer Academy
Brendan McCloskey - St. Elizabeth
William Holland - St. Mark's
Marquise Normand - St. Mark's
att Williams - St. Mark's
Zach Warren - Salesianum
Kyle Hinton - Salesianum
Connor Freeborn - Salesianum
Nicholas Robinson - Tatnall
Jaleel Heyward - McKean
Luke Borda - Tower Hill
Reggie Carroll - William Penn
Tre'Vone Skinner - William Penn
Myric Rhodes - William Penn
Jalin Stanley - William Penn
James Carney - Friends

Gold Team - Head Coach: Mike Tkach (Milford)
Nelson Collins - Appoquinimink
Jordan Downes - Caesar Rodney
William Gibbs - Cape Henlopen
Devin Miller - Cape Henlopen
Diondre Hamm - Christiana
Shane Leatherbury -Delmar
Nicholas Glover - Dover
Dominique Drewery - Glasgow
Spencer Sturla - Indian River
Brian Thomson - Lake Forest
John Flamer - Lake Forest
Jarrell Johnson - Laurel
Chucky Auguste - Laurel
Reggie Green - Laurel
Johnny McGinnis - Laurel
Erich Schneider - Middletown
Luke Elentrio - Middletown
Giacomo Degnoirs - Middletown
Michael Tkach - Milford
Ben Campbell - Newark
Peter Suski - Newark
Derek Reigle - Polytech
Grayson Ahl - Saint Andrew's
Amri Jones - Seaford
Alajuwon Hunter - Smyrna
Cody Biddle - Smyrna
Dhameer Madison - St. Georges
Thomas Halloway - St. Georges
Keyjuan Selby - St. Georges
Taronn Selby - St. Georges
John Messeck - Sussex Central
Amontay Clanton - Sussex Central
Kani Kane - Sussex Tech
Ryan Parker - Sussex Tech
Scott Wolk - Sussex Tech
Logan Wescott - Woodbridge

This post was edited on 1/9 9:19 AM by ravensrooster2

Originally posted by Threedogs3:
I know the process I played in the Blue&Gold game and the process isn't what people think it is I know for a fact there's several names on here that people have received detentions and suspensions from school and suspended from games.
Ohh really?? . how would you know?? (do you have access to school records?) and who are they??.. do tell... Because I know for fact some kids that were very deserving that did not make it through the process and were left out in the past... I am not saying some high character good players dont make it because it happens due to numbers but looking at the list and what I know of the kids they are all deserving... Not that some that didn't make it aren't BUT I don't believe there are any bad character kids on the list IMO

This post was edited on 1/8 9:23 PM by ravensrooster2

Also keep in mind some kids may not be able to play do to other commitments or choose not to play because of scholarships for other sports like lacrosse or baseball. RR is right about the application and acceptance process. There was a huge brawl after the game in 2004 I believe that nearly led to the game not being played again. This has totally changed the focus of the selection process from taking the best player to taking the best person. There will always be deserving All State, All Conference, and team captains that do not get selected to play, but lets keep in mind what this game is ultimately about.

Originally posted by teamblitz77:
Also keep in mind some kids may not be able to play do to other commitments or choose not to play because of scholarships for other sports like lacrosse or baseball. RR is right about the application and acceptance process. There was a huge brawl after the game in 2004 I believe that nearly led to the game not being played again. This has totally changed the focus of the selection process from taking the best player to taking the best person. There will always be deserving All State, All Conference, and team captains that do not get selected to play, but lets keep in mind what this game is ultimately about.
To add to this .. the bigger part of the game and weeks leading up to it is parents of mentally challenged kids have to be confident the player that is assigned to their kid who also takes and spends time with them away from the home is vetted out as being of sound character and trustworthy.. That is a big deal these days and a liability from the DFRC's stand point,, just saying

IMO it is huge responsibility to accept the nomination and should be taken as such by the player. The BIG BUDDY aspect is 100x more important than the game itself and only the young adult willing to accept that responsibility should be a part of it IMO because it is a huge responsibility and young peoples lives (handicapped or not) and how they view the world and their place in it is at stake... Point being Blue-Gold is a huge honor for all involved and football ability is a tiny piece of it Touching another and making a difference is whats really at stake.

This post was edited on 1/9 8:01 AM by ravensrooster2

Don't think there are any bad character kids either but I do know for a fact about the things I posted but I agree with you the big picture is the reason for the game.

My understanding is that the buddy program is not mandatory. However a great many of the players selected take part in it. It is a fantastic aspect of the program and has changed lives.

Originally posted by Ikeyfbst01:

My understanding is that the buddy program is not mandatory. However a great many of the players selected take part in it. It is a fantastic aspect of the program and has changed lives.
Ikey I wasn't aware the Hand in Hand program was optional.. It's "my" opinion any player who wouldn't or can't participate in that part of it really shouldn't be playing.. thats just my opinion though.. The reallity is even though the Buddy is touched by the player its really the Buddy who enriches the players life... The Buddy's teaches the players more about being a good Man, overcoming adversity and being a caring person than the players could ever teach them .. again JMHO

This post was edited on 1/9 8:20 AM by ravensrooster2

@ravensrooster2

I really appreciate your opinion about how the player should participate and how the hand in hand program enriches the player as well as the child that is involved life. I really don't comment on here much as I have been a member of this board for a long time. Some of you know that Hodgson's Dwight Chavis #54 is my son and has been selected to play in the game. His brother and my step-son, Derrell Smith, who also played for Hodgson 02-06 and later went on to play for Syracuse played in the game and won most outstanding player. However, this is not why I commented. My daughter has special needs and has been on the receiving end of the greatness of this program for many years. She has had many buddies from various schools for many years and they have all been quality kids. Some were football players, cheerleaders or ambassadors for the program. Many still check in on her to this day and she looks forward to it every year. The Blue-Gold has been such a blessing to my family in so many ways you can't imagine. So with that being said all players that are involved please heed to advice of ravensrooster because he is spot on about this event. This is more than an all-star game as some of you have stated. Many kids have worked with this program throughout the year and may or may not have been chosen to play in the game. I pray all the players involved take it seriously because it is a lot of work and an honor for the players involved but it is also a chance to give back the community in ways that many have not before.

God Bless!!

Originally posted by rizzo2005:

4 players from caravel and no savage? somethings fishy
Savage has a comittment to UMD hat not in the ring.. 4 for CA (all deserving and great young men), 4 for HVT, 4 for Laurel, 4 for St Georges, 4 for Penn 3 for ST M 3 for Sal etc. .. not sure what your point is.. Good SR laden teams will have more that qualify.. as I am sure there were years when Delmar had 3 or 4

This post was edited on 1/9 11:24 AM by ravensrooster2

@rizz If Im not mistaken troy Glenn also didnt play in the blue gold game and had a commitment to bucknell

This post was edited on 1/9 11:31 AM by FlyersFan74

Originally posted by FlyersFan74:
@rizz If Im not mistaken troy Glenn also didnt play in the blue gold game and had a commitment to bucknell

This post was edited on 1/9 11:31 AM by FlyersFan74
Quite honestly CA had 8 SRs going both ways and I could make a strong case for any of them as being deserving.. Shriner (Loyola for LAX), Laznik, Lepere, Weber.. all great kids and players.. along with the four that were selected and Savage..

This post was edited on 1/9 11:40 AM by ravensrooster2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT