ADVERTISEMENT

CR v Sussex Central

AMG,

I don't think there is a poster on here who does not respect the level of excellence that CR maintains in lacrosse year in year out(really that applies to all sports at CR). Cape and CR are my two favorite lacrosse programs in DE because they are public school programs that compete year in and year out against privates without having the same talent pool from wide areas that the privates have. Having said that if you don't see a problem in beating a hapless opponent 31-0 then really there is no use in really continuing the discussion. Best of luck to CR the remainder of the year.

AMG - I think you'd be surprised at how many on this thread have played lacrosse - and, at far higher levels than you might think.

This post was edited on 4/8 7:30 AM by WoodenStick

Wooden Stick good to see you are up and able to post. It is good you are able to bring an historical perspective to the board. The younger posters I am sure appreciate hearing the views of someone who played before lacrosse was on TV. The only question I have is did you play in an open field or did they actually line the fields?

I go back and forth on whether its better to keep playing to score like CR did against SC or refusing to shoot against an undermaned team like the Sals did when playing the Friends game. First let me be clear that runnig up the score like CR did against CS is going overboard. At least in my opinion. That being said it would be very interesting to hear from my fellow posters where CR should have drawn the line? Would we be happy if they stopped at 14 like the Sals did? What about 20 or 25? When do you call off the dogs? And if you are in Sussex Centrals shoes would you rather CR pepper you with shots or would you rather have them play 'keep away" like the Sals second teamers did agianst Friends? What say you fellow posters?

On another note: The Sals pulled the starters early against Friends and then had trouble scoring at the start of the Saint Marks game. Saint Marks is a good team and there is the traditional rivalry thing but does anyone think there is a connection?

The Sals play a national schedule now but 4 to 6 years ago the schedule was full of Delaware schools many that fielded weak teams. The Sals were pulling the starters early in most games and then lost a couple of state finals in rematches against Cape and Tower Hill. Both Cape and TH were well coached and fielded strong teams those years but the Sals were more talented those years but still lost finals during years they trashed most opponents and had the starters play way less minutes during the season then the Cape and Tower Hill starters. Does anyone think sitting starters for most games while playing undermanned teams came back to haunt the Sals in tight championship final games?

I think this is a really interesting topic. Where do you draw the line? If they had stopped at 29 would that have been different because they didn't hit the 30 goal barrier? Earlier this year I read about a football score, can't remember where, that ended up 98-0. This same debate popped up, the coach told his kids to continue to play as hard as they can regardless of the score. Then, on the other hand do you tell your players to run their sets but not shoot. I honestly can see both sides of the argument. 31-0 is pretty bad though . . .

I think that there is a lot of merit to the idea of pulling starters connecting with losing late season games. Teams like Sals and Cape schedule the tough games in order to make their starters better because they play more minutes...there's no denying that. So the question now is...why doesn't CR beef up their schedule? Didn't the conference split free up a few games on their schedule this year? Isn't that why Cape added teams like Bullis and Queen Anne's (granted, no the Malvern level teams that the Sals play)? It's not coincidence that the Sals started their three year run when they began going almost completely out of state!!

I think CR has worked on improving the schedule since they picked up Tower Hill and Friends this year but it would be nice to see them pick up some other challenging schools. Maybe they tried and couldn't? We can say a team should play other good teams but it has to work for both schedules.

Looking at crs schedule this year compared to the past few it's a lot tougher. I wish the state would eliminate conferences until the level of competition is higher. Letting teams like cape and cr play harder schedules and making the playoffs based off wins and strength of schedule would be better since they will have the experience needed to at least compete with sallies. The players will be used to playing teams with elite talent instead of playing two or three really good teams, and a whole bunch of teams who's talents quite frankly isn't up to par

Nobody will argue those points, AMG. Scheduling is a real challenge - especially when fielding JV and Frosh teams. Typically, out of state games are varsity only and it's a struggle for JV and Frosh to play in state as those games are usually attached to a varsity game. Makes it hard to develop your younger/less experienced talent.

Yes , Magpie, this fossil is back at it.

14-4 Sals. Starters out before half. Tough game Thursday night v La Costa Canyon @ Baynard. Will be a real test.

This post was edited on 4/8 10:39 PM by WoodenStick

Amglax- Last year 5 starters for CR lived in either Cape's or Milford's school district and used school choice to attend CR and play. So really CR isn't relying on luck. They are recruiting as well.
This post was edited on 4/9 9:13 AM by MD_lax_fan

Sals Up 12 late second quarter subs played end second all third and fourth quarter first team goalie gave up one goal rest on sub goalie.

WoodenStick, I noticed your post from earlier about youth ball. Atlantic has a very large and strong youth program ranging from U-9 to U-15, they play in the Eastern Shore Youth Lacrosse Association. There is also a youth program called Camden Midstate that feeds into CR, Dover, and Poly. It has gotten larger over the years to the point where they also have U-9 through U-15 and play in the ESYLA. I know there are also youth programs in Brandywine, Middletown, Newark, and now Milford but I'm not sure how good any of those programs are, plus they play against each other so they don't really have the chance to face stiff competition the way the Wilmington Wings do.

I'm not sure about CR having 5 school choice starters, that sounds wrong. I know they have one but I haven't heard of any other starters and definitely not half of the starters. But, CR and Cape recruit the same way Sallies recruits, it's not actively done but players want to play for quality programs so they go to those quality programs.

Tarzan I was just ready to comment that our good friends from SC took another beating this week. So the question has been answered: It's OK to beat someone by 25 but not 31.

I have not seen SC but they must "really" be bad. I guess teams like CR and Dover would have to bring their development teams or freshman teams to play the second half just to keep things from being embarrassing for both sides. There are no easy answers when one of the teams is so decidedly inferior.

One answer would be to move them out of the North division and into the Southern so that they're not having to play Cape or CR. SC is "really bad" against teams of that caliber but would only be merely bad against Milford or Woodbridge. Maybe that's what these coaches are trying to do by not holding down the scores - force the Conference to make that switch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT