ADVERTISEMENT

D 2 Picture for upcoming season

rizzo2005

All-Conference
Sep 22, 2005
Who will be the favorites coming into the season. I know Delmar returns a ton of starters from last year. They will be back in the playoff hunt. The south in general lost a ton of SRs. Caravel Lost a ton of SRs as did HVT.

Just going from memory but in Flight B Howard had some nice young talent. It will be interesting to see how they progress. STG will be tough even though they lost a good bit. HVT will be a much different team but watch out for them at the end of the year. They will have speed to burn and need some kids to step up big time. Looking forward to being just a fan this year and hoping to get to places I've never been like Delmar.

Originally posted by ravensrooster2:

@nuk 9/25/15 7:30 Caravel @ Delmar road trip?
I'm in! Putting it on the calendar... but we gotta stop at Royal Farms for chicken!!!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/16 8:12 AM by nuk59

Just from memory, I've got to think Flight B is going to be whoever's standing at the end and that could be St. G and Hodgson, Howard and Glasgow. G-High has some young talent but struggled against the Newarks, Concords, Penns and Middletowns of the world. A schedule with McKean, Dickinson and Christiana will probably be a welcome sight for the Dragons.

South is anybody's ball game again - Lake, Woodbridge, Laurel, Delmar, IR - anyone of those five can win it.

And of course in the private/non conference ranks, Can't count out Archmere, Caravel or the big joker, which is St. Mark's. Conrad should be good too.

2015's gonna be a case whoever is there 1 through 8 will have earned it because nobody's really THAT much better than the other.

Originally posted by nuk59:

I'm in! Putting it on the calendar... but we gotta stop at Royal Farms for chicken!!!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

NO....NO....NO

You HAVE to go to Delmar Pizza!!!!!! Sit down and enjoy some of the best deep-dish you will ever have.

Dont forge St Marks is in D2 now. I am sure they will factor in
STM has a schedule that looks very challenging, perhaps the toughest in D-2. I think they are a step above most of the D-2 talent in Delaware. I have really enjoyed D-2 the last few years, teams have been on fairly equal footing. Really looking forward to this season.

Originally posted by Ikeyfbst01:
Originally posted by nuk59:

3dgrin.r191677.gif

NO....NO....NO

You HAVE to go to Delmar Pizza!!!!!! Sit down and enjoy some of the best deep-dish you will ever have.
Sorry Ikey but not a deep dish fan. YUK!!! Any other suggestions? And D2 was wide open the last 2 years during the regular season, but come playoffs HVT was clearly the cream of the crop. Looking forward to seeing STM and my alma mater G-High in D2 this year. I think they may be surprised just how good the top of D2 is...

They have lots of other good stuff on the menu, but IMHO the pizza is what they do best. I always try to find a local place when I travel to road games and Delmar pizza is my favorite down south.

Heard St. Marks and Caravel Lost a lot, is this true?

BTW, Delmar pizza is really not deep dish, more like pizza hut's pan pizza size, but 100x better.

I am good with that. Not so sure about this new format though lol... The old timers may have issues just saying..

Heard St. Marks and Caravel Lost a lot, is this true?

BTW, Delmar pizza is really not deep dish, more like pizza hut's pan pizza size, but 100x better.

Probably the better way to describe it, but the bottom line is that it is outstanding. As most of you know, I grew up in Brooklyn so take my pizza very seriously.

Think St Marsk goes 6-0 then finishes with Sallies, HVT, Caravel and STG. We will know at the end of that stretch how good they are!

Think St Marsk goes 6-0 then finishes with Sallies, HVT, Caravel and STG. We will know at the end of that stretch how good they are!

That's a heck of a way to end the year. And while we're talking about STM, the Williams kid was oh so impressive during Blue/Gold week. I can't believe no one snapped him up!!! He's a better QB than anyone on UD's roster right now inmho. Got to talk to him and he said he'd rather play basketball but I just envision him with 20 - 25lbs of muscle and in a UD jersey... can you say Flacco??? It would be interesting to see him develop. STM will have a huge hole to fill at that position.

We're a little less than 4 weeks away from practice starting and 53 days until the Kickoff Classics, so here's a little forecasting of the 2015 D2 playoff field just for fun.

1. Caravel - Bucs look to be the strongest of last year's D2 playoff teams, even with Savage and several others seniors now departed. They have a really strong schedule, but can they pick up a 10th game (Website4Sports shows them having 9) just to be safe? If they beat Concord, then it probably won't matter.

2. St. Mark's - Has to replace Matt Williams at QB, but years of D1 competition have them ready for the best D2 has to offer - and that's pretty much who's on their schedule (Lake, Archmere, DMA, St. Georges, Hodgson and Caravel). Will be interesting to see what their adjustment period is like.

3. St. Georges - Replacing the Selby twins is their main concern, but much of a defense that really didn't allow many points unless it was against Hodgson returns, so they're my early Flight B favorite. They've got a bear of a schedule also - at Penn and CR in the first month of the season, as well as the usual battle with Hodgson, and St. Mark's joins the fray.

4. Lake Forest - Returns QB Noah Feague-Johnson, but loses DJ Cornish and John Flamer to graduation, so offensively they might be challenged. Still has the champions advantage in the Henlopen South.

5. Hodgson - Life A.B. (After Buck) is going to be a tough adjustment for the Silver Eagles, but by virtue of St. Georges losing their top playmakers, can't count them out of the Flight B race. The Lake-Hodgson game opening night will go a long way to deciding who does what with these two predicted spots.

6. Archmere - The Auks lose a lot of seniors, but you can't discount them as one of the peskier teams in D2 - they have Howard the first Friday night of the season, as well as St. Mark's, Delmar and Caravel the first three weeks of October, so getting off to a good start will be vital for the Auks.

7. Indian River - new coach, KiAnte Sturgis returning at running back, plenty of talent means IR should be right in the thick of the Henlopen South race. IR's road to the tourney could be paved (or destroyed) with 2 Henlopen North matchups (Sussex Tech and Cape), and their own division will be a fight (see Lake and Delmar).

8. Howard - if the Wildcats can solve their passing woes (4 passing touchdowns in 2014 - OUCH), they can give Hodgson and St. Georges a run for their money. Those two teams coming back down to Earth slightly should give Howard a fair shot, but that opening night matchup with Archmere looms large for tiebreaker purposes.

Other contenders:

Glasgow - Moving down to Flight B should be a confidence booster for the young guys who went through some major growing pains against Flight A competition last year - in fact, they're my darkhorse favorite in Flight B.

Conrad - Started 2014 5-1, but the wheels came off towards the end. Can a team returning more than 80 percent of its players put a full season together?

Delmar - replacing Shane Leatherbury's gonna be tough, but they return enough to keep the Henlopen South honest.

Friends - Quakers surprised everybody with a 10-0 regular season and a first round win in 2014, but key graduations might bring them back to Earth.

Feel free to add on if I missed any teams or you have your own thoughts on how D2 will go this year. Should be fun.

You always have to pencil in HVT and ST G's just by virtue of their sheer numbers... of course St Marks now as well at least for a couple years.. CA may have a tough year due to their schedule they lose everyone on D except NG and the 2 corners... The only starting returners on O are the QB the center and right tackle.. That is allot to replace and next years Sr class is very thin.. Some young guys are definitely going to have to step up and hopefully grow allot.. Team speed will be way down though.. I am fearful it may be a tough rebuild year for the Bucs.. But you never know . One to watch will be a Soph this year Mandela Montgomery..kid can scoot and has nice ball skills..started last year as a freshman and did a great job at corner.. I would suspect he will play a vital role on O as well this year..

7. Indian River - new coach, KiAnte Sturgis returning at running back, plenty of talent means IR should be right in the thick of the Henlopen South race. IR's road to the tourney could be paved (or destroyed) with 2 Henlopen North matchups (Sussex Tech and Cape), and their own division will be a fight (see Lake and Delmar).

Still dealing with summer things, haven't looked at football yet, but last I heard Sturgis moved into the Sussex Central part of the school district and has transferred.

Looking forward to the Caravel Glasgow scrimmage. Was a hell of a game last year. Early scrimmage but a good indicator for both teams. Hear the Glasgow qb is looking sharp this summer at his college prospect days.

Wow sturgis transferred???? That's a game changer for IR.
I have heard Delmar has a ton of kids in the weight room and their lineman are all seniors. And their defense returns 10 starters. Watch out hen south.

A lot of kids have been in the weight room Rizzo..... Delmar are not the only ones....

Either way, every season we hear the same type of things about Delmar that RR posted, yet far more times than not the Wildcats prove them wrong. Again, I haven't focused on prep sports at all over the summer -- trying to go into this season with a fresh mind -- but I do know that it is never wise to bet against Delmar.

I am hearing St Marks only has 170 some incoming Freshman.. man they may be in D2 for awhile..

I am hearing St Marks only has 170 some incoming Freshman.. man they may be in D2 for awhile..

RR.....I have heard the number was even lower!
I did a very quick search so not sure how accurate it is but here is some rather disturbing info....In 2006 the enrollment was 1591 and in 2014 it was 851. That is roughly a 47% decline. They are now on their 3 principal in 5 years..... not good.

....it is my understanding that the current top 3 admin there have totally de-emphasized sports and the student athlete....baseball is still king though.

....Maybe its time to change something besides the principal.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT