ADVERTISEMENT

Delaware Volleyball Brackets

NewarkWC

Mascot
Jul 18, 2011
Can anyone help me understand how they determine seeding for the state volleyball tournament? I am sure that there is an objective method used that explains what, to the eye, appears nonsensical.

It does not make sense to me, on the surface, that 3 of the 4 highest ranked teams are in the same half of the bracket (Padua, St Marks and Charter). What is just as puzzling is that the 2nd and 5th ranked teams (Archmere and AI) are in the same half of the lower bracket - so they meet in the quarterfinals (not to mention Concord is also in that group). But the bottam half of the lower bracket has none of the top 5 ranked teams. With all due respect to DMA, they've had a terrific season, they do not even play a top 6 or 7 team until the semi finals.

I am not even really arguing that DMA should not be the number 3 seed, but the highest seeded team in their half of the bracket is Caravel who lost to both AI (7 seed) and Concord (10 seed).

I will admit that I am biased towards Charter and disappointed about their placement so perhaps I am not being objective.

I am sure that there is a reasonable explanation driven by some objective measurement, and, despite my frustration I think it is better to have an objective measure than to rely on something so subjective as opinion. But I am just curious to understand the methodology.

Seedings based on point index meaning total points divided by number of games (usually 15) gets you an index.

2 points earned for every victory, 1 bonus point added for playing (Win or Lose) a team with a .501 winning percentage or better. 2 bonus points added for playing (Again Win or Lose) a team with a .701 winning percentage or better.

With so many trams playing each other throughout the state there is little difference from 1 to 8

1) Padua 43 pts 2.87 index
2) Archmere 42 pts. 2.80 index
3) DMA 39 points but only played 14 matches so index of 2.79
4) St. Mark's 41 pts. 2.73 index
5) Charter 40 pts. 2.67 index
6) Caravel 38 pts. 2.53 index
7) AI DuPont 37 pts. 2.47 index
8) Polytech 39 pts. played a total of 16 matches so index of 2.44

Bonus points help out a ton in this formula, so you need to play some quality opposition...

Perfect example Wilmington Friends, record of 6-9, but picked up 19 bonus points with a very tough schedule that included Padua, Charter, St. Mark's, Concord, and Archmere.

On the flip side Conrad (12-3) did not make it, only picking up bonus points from 4 of their games.

Hope this helps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT