ADVERTISEMENT

DelGreco Wilson: On AAU Basketball

I love the article and it says a lot as to how the powers to be view AAU and its coordination with these kids. Well there is a double edge sword for this: the first thing is not all AAU programs run like some these programs being described in the article. There are plenty of programs that say hey if your child can’t come to practice and play then there is no need for your child to be here. You want kids to understand loyalty and what it means to become a team. Being able to bounce around from team to team for the sake of winning a championship says a lot of a that program. I know of many programs that will do that all day long because they want to maintain their reputation as being a top program and want the best talent to come to them and play. IF you’re a winner it means you’re going to nationals, it means you’re going to have a chance for colleges to see you, and if you’re in the a bracket of tournaments and your winning then those colleges will come look at the program and your kids. Meanwhile the team that has put in the work of training coaching and improving their kids over the years playing together like a team gets over looked sometimes. And at certain levels if you have a team that has been playing together for years and there faced with playing team with size and are bunch blue chippers on the other team and there not even on the team. But go there and win. I get calls the time from other coaches wanting some of my top players to play with them for a particular tournament. I have lost respect for one coach who had the idea to call me and say “ can I have some of your kids and put them on my team to play, I want them. We are a good program and I feel we could win with them” I said to him do you know they play for my team now? He said “yes, I will even talk to the parents and explain to them want is going on” I just looked at this phone like this guy was crazy. And he was a cop. Now there are some good points out of this. some of these kids come from homes that can’t supplement a payment for a AAU team year after year. But these coaches now these kids want to play so bad and they know that the kids can help their team win. So they offer picking up the kid for games, food, shelter for hotels, and sneakers to get the kid to come play for them. It’s good for a kid when they only want to play basketball and gets a chance to compete with people that they would normally not come in contact with. Or a coach is interested in them. Its bad when the kid is getting multiple sneakers, money, and not having to even practice in order to play and give that team a chance to win and then other teams want that kid as well.. I say this to say that there are true AAU programs that spend the time cultivating the kids to get better. It only when they do get better that vultures come around to take them

Interesting, just.

Before the college basketball season began I saw a show on ESPNU with Coach K, Boeheim, Pitino, Gary Williams and a coach whose name escapes me. Coach K kind of hammered AAU ball a bit and said that the AAU coaches should have to go through a certification process.

When asked who would do the certification he said FIBA. It was interesting the blank stares he drew from the other coaches. Obviously, Coach K is a power in FIBA with the Olympics. The topic changed quickly.

Coach K is correct. It is crazy to see the lack of loyalty and continuity in the AAU coaching and programs. He was looked at that way and the subject changed because Coach K is on to this "game." My son played for a team that had a revolving door of "talent". New players each week/tourney. The one on nine approach. Watch High School games here in De and the AAU "coaches" are louder than the kids' high school head coach. I know "it's because the schools head coach is terrible."
Also sad to see the funneling of kids to high schools by jokers of some AAU programs. These kids get "aid" and admitted to some programs, whereas couldn't pass the entrance tests to be able to attend other programs that maintaine standards. This is not every case because integrity has not died but at some schools its 6 foot under. Not to mention the "re-classing" or shall I rephrase it de-classing of kids. Nothing like graduating HS when your 2 years older than your "peers"

I agree with your comment. There was an awkward silence. I wonder how much longer K is going to coach. He has the Olympics in 2016.....then?

This is the best article I have ever read on AAU Basketball every parent should read it before signing up their son or daughter to an AAU team!!!

AAU…MY ADVICE TO PLAYERS AND PARENTS
by Tiny Green

The AAU season is officially here
and I want to pass along SOME advice to everyone. First let me say this; my background allows me to discuss this topic as well as anyone. I have been at all 3 level of college basketball. Not only have I coached at the D3, D2 and D1 levels. I know am one of a few people that can say they been to the NCAA at all 3 levels and has had players drafted into the NBA at all three levels. Next my daughter went thought the recruiting process and I myself was somebody that did the recruiting . Next I have more contact with college coaches than most people. So I consider myself some what knowledgeable regarding AAU basketball as a player, recruiter and parent. I have been on all sides and have a full understanding of how the process works.

So here is my first bit of advice. D0 WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU ALWAYS. If you are a parent let me tell you something from real experience. No matter how good you think your AAU situation is, there is zero loyalty from anyone. Coaches, players, parents and organizations too many times have been disrespected and wronged by the “other side of the street is greener” Coaches of AAU teams know if they are too honest it creates problems, and the parents get angry when coaches are not honest. It’s not the way it should be, but that’s the way it is; and its the worst catch 22 possible. I have seen players change teams in the middle of a AAU season. I have seen kids quit teams before the start of the recruiting season, sadly leaving coaches and players scrambling. I have seen parents pressure AAU coaches and worst encourage there kids to play selfless. The bottom line is try and find a good group of kids and parents but understand…do not expect loyalty!

Finally my last bit of advice regarding AAU. The high school season and AAU season overlap in June, make sure that your AAU and your high school coach are on the same page. Because the politics of this can be horrible unless your player is a star. The high school coach makes it seem if you child doesn’t show up they are doomed. Every 8th grader is scared to death to miss summer workouts. The AAU coach reminds you July is around the corner, meaning you better not miss practice. Here are the REAL facts, everyone will find the High School summer practices will have zero effect on there up and coming season. The best players are going to play regardless of how anyone did in the summer. So do what you think will improve your child the most. AAU is about control, many coaches want to tell you who to train with, where and when your child should play.

Some people say AAU should never trump high school because it resembles college more and kids are held more accountable…I say sometimes that is true and sometimes its not. I’m not talking about just basketball. I also say despite what your high school or AAU coach says or does….DO WHAT IS BEST FOR YOUR CHILD. Make the choice you know is in your child’s best interest, that choice may have to be a political one or an athletic one. But if you are fearful of these people your in trouble one way or another. Often the disagreements in the high school and AAU world is nothing more than a pissing match, that has nothing to do with your child.

Be sure to promote your child every chance you get. Make sure that your child is always healthy and I wish everyone the best of luck..

Reactions: mr.basketball44
AAU parents, please put your child and his/her interest first. No matter if you are labeled a difficult parent, or too involved or used as a money grab; Maintain your cool. Remember your child comes first and its his/her academic, socialization skills, and future non basketball abilities that will carry him on to the championship of life's challenges. It's not a sin to come from a two family home, or have the ability to fund your child's pursuits; often we adopt the "I must control the Player" mentality rather than celebrate the endearing family structure. I shake to consider this being done solely to promote the "Program". Thus, we all know that it takes a village to get Billy that scholarship and Mom & Dad must be embraced too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT