ADVERTISEMENT

Delmar/Lake Forest - St. Mark's

cduk13

In the weight room getting big
Nov 1, 2005
Looking at next year's schedules I noticed that Delmar, Lake Forest, and St. Mark's all have the week of 09/18 - 09/19 open.
Both Delmar and Lake Forest only have four home games scheduled, while St. Mark's has six. St. Mark's traveling to either school seems like a perfect fit, and a great early season matchup as well. C'mon AD's lets get it done!

why u b makes cents it prolly no go cuz spartcuz possy mos def gets stuck wif sum no instate brickhouse power a gain

Originally posted by oldtimer22:

Got your wish. St Marks plays at Lake Forest Friday 9-18 7:30PM.
Thanks for the info oldtimer22. Lake Forest is a quality program and Coach Johnson is a class act. Should make for a great early season match up. Kudos to the staff at both schools for making it happen.

IMO Matt Smith and staff have did an outstanding job with the Spartans 2015-16 schedule.

Originally posted by cduk13:

Originally posted by oldtimer22:

Got your wish. St Marks plays at Lake Forest Friday 9-18 7:30PM.
Thanks for the info oldtimer22. Lake Forest is a quality program and Coach Johnson is a class act. Should make for a great early season match up. Kudos to the staff at both schools for making it happen.

IMO Matt Smith and staff have did an outstanding job with the Spartans 2015-16 schedule.
@cduk Wonder why St Marks could not get a Blue Hen Flight A team to play them besides Penn the last few years? Now they are D2 they have 4 Blue Hen teams on the schedule.

@cduk Wonder why St Marks could not get a Blue Hen Flight A team to play them besides Penn the last few years? Now they are D2 they have 4 Blue Hen teams on the schedule.

From the outside looking in that ones a head scratcher. I thought with the move to division II, they would have difficulty scheduling in state opponents, but happy to see I was wrong. I have often heard that relations between athletic directors can weigh heavily in scheduling, perhaps that's the case here.

Originally posted by ceech1:

Lake is not all that. Should be a rather easy win for them.
You're right Cheech, Lake is not a powerhouse, but I do think they have a quality program. They have winning seasons more often than not, and qualify for the playoffs every couple years. I'm not familiar with their roster, but they do bring back many players from a 10 - 1 team. St. Mark's has a strong group returning as well, but will be young and inexperienced at almost all of the skill positions. Unless the young men that fill these positions come firing out of the starting gate, I expect a competitive early season game between the teams. Of course I wouldn't be upset if you're right and I'm wrong.

Lake is losing A LOT. Not saying they won't be any good but definitely can't see 10-0 again. They return talented players like their QB Noah Feague-Johnson and RB Trevon Milton. Return both starting OTs and a talented WR in Cameron Lewis. Whether Johnson finally decides to open the offense up a little more is a different story......

Losing guys like DPOY John Flamer and RB/LB DJ Cornish will hurt big time IMO. Also going to have to replace their whole interior OL as well losing a very good player in Brian Thomson.

They definitely went out and improved their schedule big time which should help in the long run but starting out against Hodgson, St. Marks, and Bayside powerhouse Queen Anne, MD is a tough task the first 3 weeks. The other OOC game I noticed on their schedule is Glasgow. Anybody know anything about them next year?

Thanks for the insight Smack. I saw they were losing 12 kids but couldn't gauge the impact. Sounds like it will be rather substantial.

Originally posted by cduk13:

From the outside looking in that ones a head scratcher. I thought with the move to division II, they would have difficulty scheduling in state opponents, but happy to see I was wrong. I have often heard that relations between athletic directors can weigh heavily in scheduling, perhaps that's the case here.
AD relationships may be the case but it does not explain Newark a D1 program on the schedule now. Why didn't they play them the last few years when St Marks was a D1? Makes no sense.

Why can't people understand that there was no huge conspiracy that NHS did not play St.Mark's the past two years
In reality, the only reason the two schools did not play was because of scheduling. Many attempts were made between the coaching staff's to secure a game but it couldn't be done. Just appreciate the fact that this long time rivalry will be back.

Originally posted by michigan56:
Why can't people understand that there was no huge conspiracy that NHS did not play St.Mark's the past two years
In reality, the only reason the two schools did not play was because of scheduling. Many attempts were made between the coaching staff's to secure a game but it couldn't be done. Just appreciate the fact that this long time rivalry will be back.
How do you explain Newark stopped playing them in basketball and baseball too? Two rival schools 4 miles apart. All of a sudden stop playing each other in football, basketball and baseball.

Oldtimer22, I never knew why the teams didn't play the last two years, but looking back on the teams schedules would indicate scheduling conflict as Michigan56 states. Newark's open dates those years were weeks #1 and #8. St. Mark's was on the back end of a home/home with DMA in week #8. William Penn's only open date for those years also happened to be week #1, so it looks as if St. Mark's had already scheduled Penn or had to choose between the two. That doesn't explain why they didn't meet in the others sports, then again, if you think about it, maybe it does. I'm just glad to see the game back on the schedule, it's a great neighborhood rivalry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT