ADVERTISEMENT

Delmar!

Dec 6, 2013
Delmar has come a long way in a short amount of time as a lacrosse program... if you told me a few years ago that they could even hang with Archmere I would have laughed.
Huge props to that coaching staff and those kids, let's see how they do in the tourney
Now if only they could get the Delmar football crowd to show up for lacrosse games...

Any comments on the Archmere-Delmar game from those who saw it?

Delmar "has" come a long way. They upset CR last year toward the end of the regular season so maybe beating Delaware top 5 teams will start to become a regular occurrence. If so we'll have to stop calling them upsets.

Delmar is an example of how every new high school lax program can achieve proficiency in a reasonable amount of time. It begins with competent coaching - preferably those who have played or have dedicated appropriate time and attention to understanding the fundamentals and core elements of the game. Simultaneously, new team players should be encouraged to participate in off-season play and/or development camps, Finally, coaches, players, and parents of players should encourage the development of younger players through volunteer participation in area rec and/or club programs so that when young players hit the high school level they are proficient in basic lax fundamentals and stick skills. Of course this formula is easier said than done, but Delmar is proof that it can happen.

Delmar's Lax coaching is great! Coach glassman is doing a great job. Dont take the wildcats lightly cape, they will smack you in the mouth.....

I'm not sold on Delmar, but I haven't seen them lately. I saw them lose 12-8 to Sussex Tech early in the year, in a game that wasn't nearly as close as the score. I thought they played very undisciplined, talked a lot of smack and the Jester kid was ejected and acted like a jerk after he was shown the way to the bus.

I'm not throwing the Wildcats under the bus at all; I have kids in the Delmar district. I'm proud of what they've done for downstate lacrosse, but this is just one guy's observation. Apparently they've gotten better as the year has progressed.

they upset cr last year and now archmere this year. i was not at the game but i heard we were better than tech but were down a man and sometimes 2 men the whole game because of penalties. they have cleaned that up from what i hear. watch out cape

Sorry to burst the bubble rizzo but if delmar is still playing D in that zone from the years past cape will out shoot them. They have to talented of a team to not play them man to man. They will exploit the soft spots and snipe.

If you know Rizzo from the football forum, he comes on here to get everyone stirred up. It would take a miracle from 8 lb 9 oz sweet Baby Jesus for Delmar to beat Cape. The Delmar boys are looking to go compete and have a good time.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but when Delmar beat CR last year CR was resting the big guns from what I understand. Cant take that away from them but the did get beat up the following week in the tournament by the same CR team.

That being said I have seen Delmar play twice this year. They are legit. Good ball control. Great Face-offs. That #10 kid is so quick on the whistle. And #22 is a real player. He is going to Stevenson next year to play and could give Cape some problems. Going to be a great game.

Delmar is not looking to just go compete and have a good time, there are in it to win it, trust me. And CR was not resting anyone, your crazy, they were fighting for there lives that game.

I was just saying what I had heard. I was not at that game and I am not trying to take the win away from them. I am sure they both fought hard but I just heard they rested some guys. But anyway about Friday night. I still think it will be a good game but I don't think they can pull it off. Cape just has too much depth and lacrosse IQ.

The night before the Delmar game CR beat Cape (at cape) in overtime to win the conference. CR wasn't resting any guys, they simply over looked Delmar. A week later CR won 14-5. Not taking anything away from Delmar, it's nice to see another downstate team making some noise. Maybe Cape will assume they'll win and Delmar will knock them off. It would be cool to see someone other than Cape and CR win the henlopen conference. It is really impressive that they've been able to beat two perennial powers in the past two years.

This post was edited on 5/15 11:58 AM by DELacrosse

I was not at the Delmar victory over CR last year, but there is no way I believe CR rested players at the expense of a team victory.

Don't shoot the messenger .......but I heard CR lost on purpose to get a better placement in the playoffs so they didn't have to face Sallies...until the finals.

So, by that line of reasoning CR lost 4 games this year in order to potentially meet up with Sallies before the finals this year? Hard to decide if that comment was just an attempt to troll the board or just ignorance in action.
CR lost to Delmar because they weren't up for the game and Delmar was. Can't believe that we're still talking about this a year later. Let's concentrate on this year's matchup between Cape and Delmar rather than rehash last year.

Hope some of the Delmar players get some consideration in the All State meeting this year, think they have earned it.

There is absolutely no way that CR lost on purpose. There are always so many moving parts at the end of the season that there is no way CR could know for sure that losing would keep them away from Sallies until the finals.

Like I said, Don't shoot the messenger and I am talking about LAST YEAR with them losing to Delmar (last game of season) then meeting up with them in first round a week or so later and beating them. It gave them a different seed #.

I don't buy the "lose to avoid Sallies" story at all.

First, beating Delmar would have almost locked them in at #3 seed - away from Sallies.

Second, there were still 3 days of games for other teams, after their May 8 game v Delmar, that could have put them at #4 or #5 - on the Sallies side of the bracket.

It was an odd set of circumstances that had them end up at #6.

Congrats to Delmar for winning game #1 v CR in 2013. Congrats to CR for winning game #2 and then making it to the finals.

On to 2014.

Originally posted by Tarzan79:

Hope some of the Delmar players get some consideration in the All State meeting this year, think they have earned it.
Agreed.
Travis Gilmore deserves some consideration at attack. He has a great, fast shot and has worked hard on improving his ability to dodge defenders. He scored 4 or 5 goals against Archmere.
Otto Jester faces off and stays on the field to play middie on offense and defense (not just a FOGO). Switching from long pole close defender to midfielder last year, he has developed into one of the better face off guys around. He dominated at Archmere winning all but two face offs, keeping the ball away from Archmere's offense.
Robby Jennette is the leader on defense using great positioning and stick skills with the long pole. He usually matches up on the best offensive player and does a great job clearing the ball from the defensive zone.
Sam Ash is a really solid goalie who has sometimes kept Delmar in games making save after save.

Third Team or Honorable Mention are not out of the question for these guys. It is time Delmar's players get the recognition they deserve and not be held back because they play for Delmar. The Wildcats are now in that 5th to 8th place ranking in the state and you don't get there without great players.

Delmar has some decent players but is a long way from Cape's level of play. To Delmar's credit they never got "chippie" in a game that was lost within a few minutes of the first whistle. Delmar's Gilmore had a great handle and behind the back finish on an inside feed for one of their 2 goals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT