ADVERTISEMENT

First Round

Oct 2, 2010
Does any lower seeded team have a chance of beating a higher seeded team in the first round? Looking for a competitive game to watch on Tues or Wed, thoughts?

These are my thoughts:

#10 Caravel at #7 Archmere 4pm Wednesday
#11 Middletown at #6 Delmar 7pm Tuesday

Middletown is aggressive should be interesting to see them against Delmar
Caravel has a great FOGO (Shriner) would like to see how it plays out against Archmere

Not seen Sussex Tech play but ST vs Tower Hill may be a good game. Tower Hill shows flashes of excellence but then has some off days. Caravel at Archmere, possibly due to Coach Duncan leaving Caravel for Archmere this season. CR vs Poly may turn out to be a really good game.

Caravel does have a great faceoff guy, but he is not a fogo he is a great player too, but there is no way caravel beats archmere

I'm going to see the ST/Tower Hill game on Wed. I think ST is underrated, but we'll know for sure after this game.

I want to see for myself if the reports on the TH fans are correct...hopefully they're greatly exaggerated...
smile.r191677.gif

I have not been impressed with ST in the past, but have not seen them this year, so things can change.
TH on the other hand has been very off/on this year. Yeah there schedule was a little weak. From what I heard they also lost a good D-pole for some behavioral issues, so it will be interesting to see how that end of the field comes together. Their goalie is so/so..I think he is a fill in because they lost their goalie last year.

I don't see many upset opportunites in the first round. I think the better question may be how many runnig clock games will we see in the first round? Cape and Sallies will almost certainly get there. Any guesses on others?

I know Tower Hill beat CR this year, so I guess when they're on, they're on. I dunno, they look pretty tough to me...
ohwell.r191677.gif

ST is much better than years past, but this is a tough first round draw. The Quillin kid is an outstanding LSM that has gotten some D1 looks.

How is TH's FO guy?

Middletown/Delmar is the game I think to watch

Sals, Cape, and St. Marks win 12+

CR, Appo, Archmere, and T. Hill win comfortably

Sallies beat DMA 15 to 1

Sals pulled starters with 10:47 to go in the 2nd period. Martin Bailey carted off the field with a leg injury. It was an ugly game.

CR 10
Poly 9

Great first round game! Went right down to the end. CR was sloppy and Polytech scored several goals off transition but played just well enough in the 4th quarter to prevail.

Sloppy is being kind. They played terrible but managed to dig down and pull it off. Been their problem all year, un-forced turnovers and bad decisions. But when they play as a team and take their time they look like like the top ranked team they really are. Hopefully they can get focused for the next one.

This post was edited on 5/20 10:55 PM by bootsindad

Need to go back to byes for the 1 & 2 seeds. Games like tonight's Sals DMA game do nothing for either team. 10-0 after 1 is not playoff level - especially after watching Malvern & Haverford last night.

I agree Woodenstick. The Sals could have won by 40. I have to give DMA credit though as they played hard all the way to the end. I thought 30, and 14 played well for DMA and the goalie made some nice saves. They were just so over matched is was hard to watch when the Sals starters were in.

How about the other two games? Any scores?

Players get pissed, fans get obnoxious and it's all downhill. I can understand the DMA fans being frustrated, but the smart ass comments do nothing for the game.

Think we heard the same excuses from you last year in the 9-7 quarter final game. CR played awful, the refs were awful (of course you deleted that awfully fast last night). I think those kids in "black and red" may have had something to do with a 10-9 game. There was no need for a "fourth official" as you called it. CR earned a win.

Middletown/Delmar was an competitive game, with Middletown sealing it in the 4th quarter. Great first round tournament game for fans to watch.

Cr/Polytech was a closer game than people expected, heard that "ref" excuse before.

Woodenstick, before you make that statement, perhaps you need to check with the players of DMA and Indian River and probably half of the playoff field, none of which will give Sallies a decent game, to see if they enjoyed the tournament experience and were proud to have made the playoffs. You don't necessarily need to win the State Championship to have a successful year.

It's like playing the lottery $2 and a dream
Every single kid is dreaming of the win and if they aren't and are cocky in thinking they are guaranteed a win, that says something about character
I'll take the kid with a dream any day
Miracles happen!

Tower Hill is up on Tech 9 to 5 at half. TH moves the ball well on offense. If Tech could clean up the turnovers a bit in the second half it could be more of a game. Andrew Petite is a very talented player.

And then the second half happened...
frown.r191677.gif

TH made adjustments at halftime and never looked back. 22-9 final. Things started to get a little ugly towards the end; a Hiller pole stomped on a Tech middie's foot after a time out. The refs didn't see it, but I did. Boys being boys I suppose. Both coaches and the refs did a nice job of keeping everyone under control when tempers and frustrations flared.

Petit is a beast. TH is a very good team. I hope they give Sallies a game.

On another note...the TH fans have gotten some bad run on here; I thought they were fine. It probably didn't hurt they won going away, but the game was tight in the first half and everyone I sat around was classy or at least kept it to themselves. Our usual rowdies sat over on the other side which probably helped contribute to the harmony.

I hear what you're saying, FB, and understand your POV. Yes, it is an exciting achievement for the teams to make the playoffs - my expression was frustration for the process and results. No easy answers for that and I'm sure once the season is over, the annual battle cries for multiple divisions, a public/private split, Salesianum to leave the state, etc. will resume.

I was in the stands last night for the Sussex Tech/TH game and commend ST for their play. They are well coached, have talented kids and a very supportive group of fans. In fact, it was great hearing them cheer for their kids' successes with no BS directed at the other team - unlike what I've heard and seen far too many times from the other side of the field - and am sure I will again this Saturday. The first half was fun to watch and the ST kids challenged TH.

Second half was a different story. 22 goals with 6 in the 4th quarter? What message is that trying to send? TH starters should have been pulled. Another bad example of stats padding - for what end? Yes, Pettit is a very good player - we'll see how good Saturday against Freibott. That will be a great matchup and fun to watch. Looking forward to Saturday at Baynard.

Yes, I am looking forward to the Pettit/Freibott match up as well. Pettit was free to move anywhere he wanted against ST which won't be the case against the Sals. Pettit may get his goals but I dont think it will be enogh to keep this from becoming a running clock game by the end.

Wooden Stick....Tower Hill had a 13 goal win... Sallies won by 14, St Marks by 21 and Cape by 15 in their contests. I see no mention of that in your posts.

Real simple. Sals Starters were pulled early in the second quarter, score was 10-0 after 1. Subs we're put on yellow in the scond half and the score could have been double the final total.

Difference is obvious, TH starters ran it up with 6 in the 4th. No need to run the score - any team. Goes to an earlier point I made in this thread regarding seedlings.

Curiously, What"s your issue with TH?

You do not seem upset about the Saint Marks or Cape scores. I wont discuss Sallies because I am well aware of how Bob runs his program.

I have no issues with TH. If you've read my earlier threads, you'll know I raised the same issue after CR hammered Sussex Central earlier this year. Cape, St Marks, TH or Sals - there would be no difference in my position when it comes to running it up. If you know Coach H then, obviously, you know his position about this topic, too. Respect for the other team. Seems pretty simple to me - hardly an issue focused on TH. And despite my comments about the ST game, I've always been a fan of Brad DuPont and his ability to shape a team around the talent he has available - remarkable for a small school with talent that fluctuates dramatically from year to year.

This post was edited on 5/22 11:26 PM by WoodenStick

Originally posted by WoodenStick:
I have no issues with TH. If you've read my earlier threads, you'll know I raised the same issue after CR hammered Sussex Central earlier this year. Cape, St Marks, TH or Sals - there would be no difference in my position when it comes to running it up. If you know Coach H then, obviously, you know his position about this topic, too. Respect for the other team. Seems pretty simple to me - hardly an issue focused on TH. And despite my comments about the ST game, I've always been a fan of Brad DuPont and his ability to shape a team around the talent he has available - remarkable for a small school with talent that fluctuates dramatically from year to year.

This post was edited on 5/22 11:26 PM by WoodenStick
Well said....
I would add that Sallies SHOULD win it all. All things considered.

ADVERTISEMENT