ADVERTISEMENT

FRESHMAN

Billy Phillips was 1st team All-State and won a state title as the starting pitcher as a freshman so the answer is yes.

Originally posted by CHS89:
Billy Phillips was 1st team All-State and won a state title as the starting pitcher as a freshman so the answer is yes.
Not typical with the top teams but it does happen.

Phillips was the only kid at St Marks that I can remember playing varsity as a freshman. He was 10-0 as a freshman pitcher. There were no sophomores on varsity last year.

I think Josh Culler pitched the championship game for Caravel as a freshman too. Last year Caravels starting shortstop Tyler Juhl was a freshman.

Rarely if ever happens at St. Mark's or Salesianun but happens quite often at Caravel. I'm sure it's because of numbers. Hunter Ellis started as an eighth grader and in recent years Jason Bilous, Brandon Fraley, Tyler Juhl, Ryan Zwier, Bryce Carney and Colin Adams have started or made major contributions to the team. I'm sure I forgot someone. Look for Joey Silan to make an impact for the Bucs this year.

Originally posted by TouchThemAll:

Originally posted by Past Chief:
I think Phillips repeated a grade, was an older 9th grader, which makes a big difference
I don't know the kid's school history, but I do know that he's an 18U for baseball, like the majority of high school seniors.
I don't know if he repeated a grade but I remember him playing district all stars for Brandywine as a 12 year old against some of the kids playing for St Marks in his senior class. So he is the same age as this years seniors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT