ADVERTISEMENT

Games Saturday April 22nd 2017

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
Conrad (8-0) @ St Marks (6-3). Conrad has won eight straight games, 4 of them against top 20 teams (Wilm Chr, Sallies, DMA, Arch). Conrad has only allowed 13 total runs in 8 games. Bradigan is 5-0 and Maxwell is 3-0. At the plate, Conrad is scoring over 7 runs per game. St Marks has 3 straight losses by 1-run each to Appo, Caravel and Sallies. Their pitching has been very good, only allowing more than 3 runs in a game just once. Sullivan and Ludman have been leading that charge. Where they struggle a little is at the dish. Their averaging just 4 runs per game and in the last four games they have only got 9 runs across the plate in total. Of course they are seeing most teams best pitchers so that stat is a little biased. Last year St Marks won 13-3 over Conrad and in 2015 Conrad beat St Marks 4-1.

Caravel (7-3) @ Newark Charter (6-2). Caravel has won 4 straight games recently against St Marks, Hodgson, Polytech & Smyrna. Prior to that they had lost 3 games straight by 1-run. Newark Charter had been on a six game winning streak before lost in extras to St E on Thursday. Last year Newark CHarter played a close game with Caravel only down 3-1 going into the bottom of the fifth. But Caravel scored 4 and pulled away for a 7-1 victory (Dorr took the loss) . In 2015, Dorr and Fraley battled it out in a 1-0 game that Caravel won by scoring in the 6th inning.

Middletown (7-1) @ St Georges (5-2). Middletown is on a 6 game winning streak and is coming off a 5-4 win over #1 ranked Appo on Thursday. MTown haven’t allowed more than 4 runs in a game over the last six games, with 2 shutouts. Wooten, Dunn and Loper have pitched very well. Wooten pitched Thursday, so Dunn could be up. At the plate, Mtown has scored at least 5 runs in every game but one. St Georges started of a little shaky at 2-2 with a loss to Glasgow in there. But they have won three straight over the likes of McKean, Friends and Milford where they outscored them 46-7. They are coming off a 12-3 win over Milford. St G is averaging over 12 runs at the plate while allowing just under 4 per game. St Georges has beaten Middletown in four straight seasons.

Dover (8-1) @ Glasgow (5-3). Dover brings their unbeaten in Delaware streak of 7 games up to Glasgow. Dover has taken a little flack for their light schedule thus far only playing 3 teams top 20 worthy. But they beat Poly and destroyed Smyrna 13-1. Their only loss was to a pretty decent out of state Parkside team 4-1. Dover is scoring over 7 runs per game and is allowing under 3 runs per game. Velazquez is 6-0 on the season but just pitched on Wednesday. Glasgow started the season 0-3, losing to DMA and two subpar teams this year, A.I. and Wm Penn. But they have bounced back with 5 victories. The first was an 8-7 win over St Georges. Then a 9-2 decisive win over Howard. Their last three were against DAPSS, Bwine and Christiana outscoring those three teams 45-6.

St Elizabeth (5-3) @ Archmere (5-4). St E is playing well right now with 4 straight wins, last one was against a hot Newark Charter team on Thursday where St E won 3-2 in extra innings. Archmere has been playing pretty good baseball this year, they just are coming up short in some games. 3 of their 4 losses were by 2 runs or fewer. They lost by one to Newark Charter and St Marks. Just recently they lost 5-3 to a very good Conrad team. Arch beat St E 7-3 last year.

Mt ST Michaels @ Sallies (7-3). After a 2-2 start where Sallies was very close to being 0-4 actually, Sallies has responded winning 5 of its last 6 games. Sallies beat Caravel by a run, blanked Cape 2-0, Newark 7-0, beat Tech 8-4 and just beat St Marks earlier in the week 5-4. Sallies pitching is improving but they are allowing almost 5 runs per game. At the plate they are doing okay, scoring just over 5 runs per game. Mt St Michaels hasn’t played Sallies in the regular season since 2013 where Sallies beat them 11-3 in New York. In 2012 Sallies beat them in two games over a weekend at Sallies outscoring them 24-3. The Mountaineers are just 1-6 on the season.

Newark (4-6) @ Smyrna (4-4). At 4-6, Newark is a pretty decent team. Aside from a 16-6 drubbing by Sussex Tech and a 3 hit shutout by Sallies, their other 4 losses were closely contested. To start the season against Archmere, Newark was tied 5-5 going into the 5th, but allowed 3 late runs to lose 8-5. Against Mtown they rallied back and fell short 5-4. Against DMA they lost in 10 innings by a walkoff wild pitch. Then earlier this week they got beat 4-2 by A.I. Their 4 wins were blowouts against Dickinson, WP, Charter and Concord were they outscored their opponents 74-2. Newark needs a big win because they have a tough week next week with Caravel, St E & Friends. Smyrna started off slow at 1-3 with big losses to Delmar, Appo and Dover. They went on a 3 game winning streak with close wins over Milford & Cape and a blowout of Seaford. On Thursday they lost an extra innings game to Caravel 2-1. If you look closely at the runs. Smyrna has scored and allowed about 5 runs per game. Last year Newark lost 11-2 to Smyrna.

Reactions: jwb703
Smyrna over Newark 3 or 4 to 1, I think . Not sure of the score because of the following craziness. Smyrna runners on 1st and 2nd. Batter hits long fly to right field. Ball goes a little over RF's head while he's running with back to plate. He reaches down, picks ball off the ground and throws it in. Smyrna runners saw that the ball hit the ground and advanced with one RBI, man on third, and batter now on first. No call from field ump. Once ball got into the infield, Newark coach told players to throw ball to first and second bases, claiming that catch was made and runners failed to tag up. Umps got together, ruled a catch and cleared bases. That half inning continued for another out. I guess one runner was given a tag up and only two outs resulted. Not sure if run scored or not. Cold and rainy...But field ump had a rough day (that's the best way to put it). Question just for opinion: If coach asked you if you caught ball what would you say? If you were coach and you knew a catch wasn't made, would you have played the catch was made swindle? If you were an Umpire and wasn't sure one way or the other, would you lean on a no catch call instead of bailing out with a drop on the transfer call? Btw, if still running out when ball was "dropped" ,the catch was not completed to make a transfer ruling. Real head scratcher. Competence and integrity both took a hit on one play. Btw, I was at the outfield fence so even if unclear from infield, it was crystal clear to everyone out there.

Figured scores would be higher with such a bad day for baseball. Surprised Smyrna got their game in. Good luck doing a top 10 for next week.

Sallies beats the NY team 10-0. Homerun from maguire, triple from maguire and doubles from Andreoli and Nordmeyer

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a baseball championship with LX, track and Volleyball. Golf doesn't look like it will get it done this year. I would love to see baseball capture the crown for that uncle bummy guy and just ruin the summer for him

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Conrad is a very good team but still kinda early to tell. There's a lot of teams that can catch fire and win it all.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a baseball championship with LX, track and Volleyball. Golf doesn't look like it will get it done this year. I would love to see baseball capture the crown for that uncle bummy guy and just ruin the summer for him

Bummy didn't know Spring sports counted. The Slowskys have made a track comeback after their golf run.

Bummy is looking forward to the Fall. It can't come quick enough. Smyrna and Middletown to open the regular season. Smyrna and the Slowskys to close the regular season. New sheriffs in town in Middletown and Glasgow.

Maybe I will grab my Notre Dame hoody and make it up to 19802 to see a baseball game. Bummy was there years ago when Pedro Swann, Jr put one onto the Tennis courts.

Bummy didn't know Spring sports counted. The Slowskys have made a track comeback after their golf run.

Bummy is looking forward to the Fall. It can't come quick enough. Smyrna and Middletown to open the regular season. Smyrna and the Slowskys to close the regular season. New sheriffs in town in Middletown and Glasgow.

Maybe I will grab my Notre Dame hoody and make it up to 19802 to see a baseball game. Bummy was there years ago when Pedro Swann, Jr put one onto the Tennis courts.
I am surprised you haven't picked up on the Golf Team all of a sudden struggling? Did the competition get better or is there a Coach that needs to be fired?

Conrad will be State Champs
They will be ranked 1st this week for sure. Bradigan was in total control today, locating pitches and changing speeds. Very aggressive on the bases as usual, but had two picked off second and one thrown out trying to stretch a double into a triple (Didn't pick up his coach). Suicide squeeze worked but the catcher should have not touched it in play. Would've spun back foul. Conrad has a complete team and is well coached. But the season is only half over. This year is wide open. A handful of teams has just as good a shot at winning it all as Conrad. Getting a first round bye by being a top 12 seed will go a long way to getting there.

Last edited:
I would have to agree with CHS89 about Conrad will or should I say should be #1 this week. This year is a crazy season that yes is only 1/2 way over. Remember too that the weather hasn't settled in yet so I think arms are still not where they should be. Will be interesting the next few weeks as the weather settles in and the ball really comes off the bat and out of the pitchers loose arms.

I know there is allot of science involved in baseball..angles, velocity,mass etc... is that Conrad's secret? Are baseball players choosing a science school to better their chances for a scholly?

Reactions: 84rider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT