ADVERTISEMENT

Games Today - Thursday April 20, 2017

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
Middletown (6-1) @ Appo (9-0). NOON GAME. Hometown rivalries square off in what could very well be for the Conference title. Appo is 3-0 in the conference while Mtown is 4-0. They have 8 conference games total so a lot of things can happen, but the closest team to either of them has 2 losses already. Middletown is on a 5 game winning streak since their 9-0 loss to Cape. The competition in the five games hasn’t been the toughest with Concord, Newark, CR, MT P& Delcastle, none of which are in the top 20. But they have handled their business outscoring those opponents 52-8. Now their schedule gets tougher with Appo, St G and Sussex Tech up next. Mtown is getting pretty good pitching from Dunn, Wooten & Loper. The team has only allowed 23 runs in 7 games. Dunn, Wooten & Loper are all available to pitch I believe, but Mtown does play St G on Saturday. Their bats are especially hot lately and besides the Cape Henlopen goose egg put up, they haven’t scored any less than 5 runs in all their other games. Appo is clearly the top team in the state right now. They are undefeated and they have 5 wins over top 20 teams. Only 1 other team in the state has 5 wins against top 20 teams this year and that’s Sallies who Appo beat 6-0. Appo has one of the deepest pitching staffs in the state. Steckline (2-0), Garrett (3-0), Stamper (2-0) and even Ruhl (2-0). Stamper just pitched on Tuesday so I’m expecting a Steckline/Garrett combination especially since Appo doesn’t play again until next Tuesday. Appo has only allowed 18 runs in 9 games. They held St Marks & Sallies to just 1 combined run. At the plate they are averaging over 7 runs per game. Last year Dunn & Steckline were in a 1-1 pitchers duel before Mtown hit a grandslam in the bottom of the sixth to go on and win 7-1. In 2015, Garrett beat Dunn with Appo having 1 big 6-run inning to win 7-1. In 2014, Appo scored 3 runs late to beat Appo 4-2. In 2013, Appo won 3-2. In 2012, Mtown won 3-2. In 2011, Mtown won 2-1 in extras. I think you get the point. These are usually close games, at least until something happens.

Cape (5-3) @ Smyrna (3-3). 1 PM. They finish their extra innings marathon game tied at 2.

Caravel (6-3) @ Smyrna (3-3). 4:15. Smyrna has a warm up gain earlier with Cape. I’m sure they are hoping for a quick resolution to that game to save some pitching for Caravel. Then Smyrna plays on Saturday versus Newark. Smyrna went on a three game losing streak earlier being outscored by Delmar, Appo & Dover 30-6. They rebounded with a win over Milford,and a big win over Seaford 17-2. Smyrna is a little hard to figure out. They have had some good pitching at times but allowed a ton of runs at times. They have allowed 40 runs so far this year and scored 41 in 6 and a half games. Caravel is riding a three game winning streak after their 3 game losing streak losing by 1 run each game. In the last 3 games over St Marks, Hodgson and Poly they have outscored them 22-9. Silan has picked up two of those wins. Silan had 87 pitches on Tuesday so we wont be seeing him. Caravel is scoring just about 8 runs per game on average but 4 of the games they scored under 5 runs per game and 4 of those games 10 and over. In 2016, Silan and Caravel beat Smyrna 6-2.

Friends (5-4) @ Tower Hill (6-2). Tower Hill blanked Friends 3-0 earlier this month behind a 4-hitter by Hugh Love. Friends is on a two game losing streak after a nice 5-2 start. Tower could put a strangle hold on their conference with a win here. TH is already 3-0 in the conference they play 8 games. Friends and Tatnall are the closest behind them but each has 2 conference losses already.

Newark Charter (6-1) @ St Elizabeth (4-3). Newark Charter are the darlings of 2017. NC is riding a 6 game winning streak, 4 of which were 1-run wins. Most recently they have beaten Archmere, Mt P, Sallies and DMA. Only 5 teams have more wins over Top 20 teams so far this season. Chopko just pitched over a 100 pitches on Tuesday, so it will probably be Kelby or Vivian who are both 2-0. NC has to mindful of its pitching with a game against Caravel on Saturday in the wings. NC has only allowed 23 runs in 7 games. At the plate they are averaging just under 6 runs per game. St Elizabeth is 4-3 but lets keep in mind that 2 of their losses were to St marks and they lost a 6-5 game to Tower Hill. They have allowed just 30 runs in 7 games, keeping in mind that 17 of those were to St Marks in two games. They also are pretty good at the plate scoring 5 or runs per game in all their games except St Marks. In 2016, Kelby pitched a 4 hit shutout with NC winning 10-0.

Friends lost to Sanford the other day- congrats to the Warriors for winning their 2nd in a row after a 26-game losing streak. They only have one senior on the roster so better days may finally be ahead for them.

Smyrna over Cape 3-2 for final score in previously suspended game. Caravel at Smyrna at 4:15 today.

Reactions: jwb703
Smyrna 1-0 over Caravel . Top of 3rd.
Tied 1-1, top 5th

Last edited:
Question.....can a player play in a Varsity game (actually play not sit) and then the same day, go and play in the JV game?

That's big wins for both Smyrna and Middletown. Smyrna has been playing better of late. Congrats to Middletown for winning Flight A!

Reactions: CHS89
@DEJUICE ... I heard after the Varsity game that a certain player was going to play that had just started & played the entire Varsity game !! Not cool Appo

I've seen kids play on Varsity the whole game and than go down and pitch for JV. I'm not sure what the rules are. I know for basketball you can only play 4 quarters total.

Still not right ,in my opinion. Nor fair to other players.BTW, I have no "dog in the fight "

Yea, never really saw it before today so I wasn't sure of the rules. But then again, I hadn't had a chance to attend two games in one day. Congrats to Middletown Varsity on their win.

Reactions: CHS89
Yea, never really saw it before today so I wasn't sure of the rules. But then again, I hadn't had a chance to attend two games in one day. Congrats to Middletown Varsity on their win.
What's difference in playing a double header? Two games in one day. Agreed congrats to Middletown ... Big win!

A double header is a little different since it is usually the same team playing each other. Not a player playing on a Varsity Team and then going to another field to also play on their JV team. Just wasn't sure of the rules.

Reactions: Bucsnot
Looking into the situation, the player that went down to JV was a freshman that started the year playing JV but just moved up to Varsity a few games ago. Congrats to Middletown on a huge win though!

Doesn't really change a thing . If he's good enough to actually start and play entire game @ the Varsity level then should he then play the JV game too ? It's not like he was just a backup.

Reactions: DEJUICE and CHS89
Doesn't really change a thing . If he's good enough to actually start and play entire game @ the Varsity level then should he then play the JV game too ? It's not like he was just a backup.
I have no clue about this situation but there are circumstances that a coach could use the JV game for someone who pitches but hasn't been able to pitch during varsity game and they needed to get him innings . Maybe he has been sore or injured and is just coming back ? Just some thoughts !

You've got to be kidding me. If this is true it's absolutely ridiculous. Isn't the purpose of JV to develop kids that aren't good enough yet for Varsity. I could see if he sat the bench on Varsity or got a pinch at bat. If he started and played the whole Varsity game and then played JV then shame on the Appo coaches. They took an opportunity away from another young player to play and get better.

Reactions: DEJUICE and Bucsnot
You've got to be kidding me. If this is true it's absolutely ridiculous. Isn't the purpose of JV to develop kids that aren't good enough yet for Varsity. I could see if he sat the bench on Varsity or got a pinch at bat. If he started and played the whole Varsity game and then played JV then shame on the Appo coaches. They took an opportunity away from another young player to play and get better.
Its a flat out DIAA violation. You can participate in one contest per day, unless it is a scheduled double header, three per week. Don't know the kid or situation, but the penalty is forfeiting the game when the ineligible player was used. Appo. lost, no consequence.

Reactions: DEJUICE and CHS89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT