ADVERTISEMENT

GAMES TODAY Tues May 5, 2015

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
TOP GAMES

A chance of thunderstorms might be rolling in at game time. Hope we get the games in.

Hodgson (11-2) @ St Georges (10-4). This game could decide the Flight B Conference championship. As I see it, if St Georges wins, they are the Conference champs since worst case they would end up tied, but they would have beaten Hodgson and Mt P. If Hodgson wins, Hodgson would still have to beat Mt P to clinch. Hodgson already beat St Georges 2-1 earlier in the season in a NON-Conference game where Walter pitched a no-hitter with 12k’s. Campbell pitched well against Hodgson as well. Hodgson has won three straight games since its heartbreak loss against Caravel. St Georges has lost 2 of its last 3 games losing to Sallies and Cape. We all know the year Walter is having, he is 6-1. 4 of his 6 wins were shutouts (3 against top 20 teams). I would expect him to pitch today. Hodgson isn’t doing too bad at the plate either, scoring over 7 runs per game. St G is averaging almost 9 runs per game and are tied for the lead in the state for most Homers by a team, but I would be surprised if St G scores 9 runs against Walter as 7 teams only have scored a total of 5 runs all season against him. Since St G has come into existence they have only beaten Hodgson twice in 12 attempts including 7 straight losses. Although that sounds dominant, an Interesting fact, out of the 12 games, 7 have been 1 run games. Hopefully this will be a classic.

Dover (10-2) @ Sussex Central (7-5). Both teams need this game to stay pace with the other playoff hopeful teams in the Henlopen North Conference. Dover has won 3 straight games including a big win over Parkside and their D1 bound ace pitcher. Dover has scored 18 runs in its last two games, both over quality opponents. Dover’s Defense has been their strong suit though so far this year. They are barely surrendering 2 runs per game (#2 in the state), including SIX games where they held their opponents to 1-run or less. They are led by committee on the mound with Small, Lawson, Johnson & Rowley. They also near the top of teams committing the fewest errors. Central has been up and down all season. They have had one of the toughest schedules thus far, arguably, as they have played 9 of their 12 games against teams in the top 20 in the state. Of their 5 losses 3 were by 2 runs or less and came late in the ballgame. Central lost to Dover 8-3 last year and haven’t beat Dover in 4 years.

CR (5-7) @ Cape (8-6). CR is another team that started off good at 3-1, but has gone 2-6 since. CR has one of the toughest schedules as well playing 9 teams in the TOP20. CR has also had some tough losses. 4 of their 7 losses were by 2 runs or less. Cape is quite the opposite. Cape started off 2-4, but are 6-2 since then and currently on a 4 game winning streak. In their last 6 games Cape is averaging scoring over 11 runs a game, and that includes against teams like Caravel, Tech, Milford, IR & St G. CR has fallen to the bottom of the Henlopen North at 5-4 (2 and a half back), but has 4 henlopen games remaining. Their bigger problem though is that they need to get back to .500 to even get a chance of getting into the playoffs. They are 2 games under with only 6 remaining including games against Cape, Milford and #3 Hodgson. Cape lost to CR 9-4 last year.

Milford (7-4) @ Lake (7-5). Huge Henlopen South game!!! Milford leads Lake by 1 game in the Hen. South at the moment. Milford has had a tough time of late. They started out 6-1, but lost 4 straight (2 by 1 run). Their most recent game they won big over Wood 12-2. Lake also started off strong at 3-1 with big wins against Smyrna and Cape, but have gone 4-4 since then. Lake has had 5 one-run games this year going 2-3 in those games. Lake beat Milford 12-8 last year in a close game that Lake poured on 8 runs late.

Mtown (7-5) @ St E (5-6). Mtown has had a tough time of it lately. They started out really strong going 5-1, but have gone 2-4 in its last 6 games. Mtown has been very inconsistent though. They crush Charter 13-0 right after Charter upset Caravel. Then Mtown needs a walkoff to beat Glasgow. Then get beat 7-1 by Appo, but then upset CR 9-7. Then they get crushed by St G 14-2, then get beat bad by Newark 8-1. Then they lose a close one to Archmere 4-3, but come out and beat up DMA. St E after going 2-5, have been coming back lately winning 3 of 4 including a 3-0 win over Archmere. St E almost beat St Marks, but then comes back and loses 16-15 to A.I., a game they were up 12-1??? I’m not sure which of these two teams will show up.

Charter (7-4) @ Sallies (8-3). Charter has a tough game before its big showdown with Appo for the Flight A Conference championship. Charter has been Team Rally. Every one of their wins were by comeback fashion, including 3 walkoffs but yet all of their losses were big losses including 3 shutouts. I guess if you can keep them down, you can pour it on them…but if you keep it close they will comeback on you. Sallies have been quietly moving along this season. You don’t hear much from the fans and they are just floating around the ten spot in the rankings. Sallies have won 7 of their last 8 games including wins against St G, Cape and Central. Their 3 losses were close ones to the likes of Appo, St Marks and Caravel. Teams aren’t scoring much on Sallies, on average they are only giving up 3 runs per game. Only one team has scored more than 4 against them, ironically its Newark Charter. Hinton is the best pitcher with a losing record, hands down as he has been charged with all the teams losses. But don’t let that fool you, he is one of the better pitchers in the state. Sallies 10-run Charter last season.

Other Games
Mt P @ McKean. Mt P should pick up another easy win. Mt P beat them 13-1 last year.
Tatnall @ Archmere. Arch 15-run Tatnall last year.
Ai @ Concord. Used to be a top game in Flight A, but they are a combined 6-19 this year.
Seaford@ Delmar. Delmar trying to salvage their season.
Laurel @ Tech. Laurel is quietly at 5-5. But haven't beaten a team remotely close to having a winning record.
IR @ Wood. IR is only a game and a half back in the Henlopen South.
Friends @ Newark. Newark has won 6 straight games to go 8-6. They are making a run for the playoffs.
St Andrews @ Tower Hill. 11-2 TH versus 0-12 St Andrews for their third meeting of the year.
Delcastle @ Glasgow. Both have 4 wins on the season.
DEPSS @ Dickinson. Both teams are 2 games off of a .500 record.
Bwine @ Christiana. Bwine only has 2 more wins than Christiana this year.
St Thomas More @ Wilm Christian. At 6-5, WC is dangerously close to its first winning season in 11 years.

Reactions: TouchThemAll
Great summary oldskool42. I see that you are going above and beyond now by doing baseball and adding the weather forecast!

548....Great comment about the weather. I'm glad someone noticed. Its one stop shopping. If you can't get to a window, but your internet is working...get your baseball and weather all in one spot. I'm really trying to draw some interest. I might just do stock tips next or something.

For the downstate fans i might include a Shark Watch since a lot of the shark tracking sights are getting a lot of pings of sharks off the Delaware Shore.

Over on the football boards they do food reviews of the concession stands. Since that doesn't apply, maybe i can recommend good seating for the various games. Maybe out of the sun...under a tree.

IR beats Woodbridge 7-2. Jake Hudson throws complete game. Hopefully Lake takes down Milford today to force a showdown between IR and Lake on Thursday.

Hodgson won 4-1 with great pitching from Walter. The game had alot of energy from both teams but in the last four years hodgson as beat st Georges 8 times and it seems like the seniors just have their number as a team

Milford takes out Lake 11-1 in 5 innings. Milford hit the ball fairly well and took a 5-1 lead and then Lake fell apart defensively. Started their lefty, then brought Dillon Cole out from behind the plate and then Curtis Reed to finish up. Cole Davis went the distance on the hill for Milford.

Newark won their 7th straight. That's not a bad Friends squad they beat yesterday. They hit the ball. Seems Newark has changed their infielding lineup since the last game I saw of theirs. Looks a lot stronger. Stranahan started for Newark yesterday but as I arrived, he was being removed from the game, apparently due to injury after throwing only 14 pitches.

8yaz. Hopefully the injury to Stranahan is minor.

Newark is playing decent ball winning 8 of 9 games with the big 8-1 win over Middletown in their. These last three games we will see if Newark is playoff ready. They have Penn, DMA & Mtown again. All are a good test for Newark and if they have hopes for the playoffs i think they probably need to win all three. Still not sure with bonus pts that would be enough, but i don't think 11-7 would have any chance though.

ADVERTISEMENT