ADVERTISEMENT

Gatorade Player of the Year

OneJourney

Tackles too high
Sep 10, 2014
Just heard the news Taronn Selby Fullback from St. Georges was named Gatorade Player of the year. Great job Taronn. Very talented athlete ! Good luck on your career!

This post was edited on 12/4 4:23 PM by OneJourney

Congrats on the award. But I am lost on how the Hodgson kid did not get the award. Or the Boy from Sussex Tech or the Wp running back all three kids I feel had the upper leg on this award, How is this picked by the Coaches in the state?

Originally posted by HSSPORT#1:
Congrats on the award. But I am lost on how the Hodgson kid did not get the award. Or the Boy from Sussex Tech or the Wp running back all three kids I feel had the upper leg on this award, How is this picked by the Coaches in the state?
First of all for this award your coach has to take the time to send in a nomination on the Gatorade website.. Then the folks from Gatorade use this criteria to select the GPOY for each state.

The Gatorade State Player of the Year award winners are evaluated and selected on the basis of three criteria:

Athletic Achievement - success made at the club, national or international levels of competition, and standout performances in their respective sport. Includes statistical production, honors, skill-set evaluation, leadership ability, overall impact on team success and historical context of accomplishments.

Academic Excellence - review of GPA and class rank, as well as SAT and ACT scores, academic honors and distinctions.

Exemplary Character - overall sportsmanship, but also membership and participation in positive activities that demonstrate commitment to character and community.

State Player of the Year award winners are eligible for the Gatorade National Player of the Year award in their respective sports.

This post was edited on 12/8 9:32 AM by ravensrooster2

I agree SPORT not sure how this kid got this award over others as you had mentioned from Penn, Sussex Tech , Hodgson . That must have been the case they must not have been nominated by their coaches because by far there were better candidates .

Originally posted by DEFENSEREST:

I agree SPORT not sure how this kid got this award over others as you had mentioned from Penn, Sussex Tech , Hodgson . That must have been the case they must not have been nominated by their coaches because by far there were better candidates .
Did you read RRs post? It is not just about what you do on the field. That is only 1/3 of what gets considered. It also includes academic and character excellence. Kid was a 1st team all state RB that apparently is doing the right things off the field too.

jones was ejected from a game this year, no chance when that happens. I did think Kane was better

Good choice. RR is right. The criteria is like what the Heisman winner is "SUPPOSED" to have.

Reggie Carroll for Penn is the most model citizen kid I ever seen and unselfish . The kid put his stats aside for the sake of his team to win a championship sat out 2 games not to mention was pulled in a few games right after halftime. Also his work outside the school should have been recognized he visitied younger kids in grade school and talked with them so the kid Selby isn't the only one doing things off the field Carroll is a better back and faster hands down and that cant be disputed and didn't even play the amount of time Selby did my vote still goes to Carroll he should have been Gatorade's Player of The Year.

Congratulations to Mr. Selby. If you read the requirements there are other things that go into this award. this young man is not only a good football player but an excellent student as well. He is well rounded. I personally don't know him but when you look at his performance athletically he has matched it academically as well. Mr. Caroll is outstanding as well but unfortunately didn't win the award.

Reggie Carrol was Nominated by the Coach. But was not selected. I know Reggie and being a State Champion is more important then this individual award. Congrats to Selby a fine young man and a great player...

Congrats to Selby. Too often in Delaware the academics are overlooked because of athletic ability. It's nice to see a kid who excels in the classroom and on the field get recognition.

Congrats to Selby! It's a shame that a child or his parents have to read such negative comments. Obviously the best candidate won. I don't really mean to use the word "negative", but the posts about players that should have won seem to be based on the success of the player or program. I know that this is an open forum, but everyone should try to show a little bit of praise for a child before showing such animosity towards them. P.S. Dont be surprised if he wins the same award for track and field...

Because you have to be smart kani was not

ADVERTISEMENT