ADVERTISEMENT

Henlopen Split

baseballisboring

Towel boy
Nov 1, 2012
Heard that the henlopen conference is going to be split between the north and south. Anyone know if this is going to change the way they do playoff seedings?

Laxpower has 7 teams in the North and 4 teams in the South on their site, don't know if that is correct or not.

I doubt that will change how playoff seeding is since it is done by a points system.

Maybe they are getting ready if they try to force the lacrosse community to split to two divisions like in other sports. It was denied last year by the coaches.

Doubt an automatic bid will go to a conference with 4 teams, glad to see more schools getting lacrosse teams.
This post was edited on 12/3 5:30 PM by Tarzan79

With the addition of IR and Woodbridge to the conference, it just made sense to split things up. I also believe, Cape and maybe CR, pushed to split as they viewed games against Delmar, Milford, IR, and Woodbridge as a waste of their time. Those would be four games that they could use to schedule much better out of conference games. I can't say I disagree with them.

Lake just added LAX as well, which will mean five of the seven South teams will have the sport soon. Seaford and eventually Laurel, if it has enough students, will get it I'm sure.

The success of these new programs is based on the development of solid youth programs. What's happening with U15/13 and under?

Hope the entire state does not allow lacrosse to split into two divisions.

Youth programs will come as more HS get lacrosse.

The lacrosse head coaches won't allow it. There was only a handful of coaches who wanted it and the rest were totally against it. It's more likely to split public school vs private school before two divisions.

Unfortunately, the spilt conference talk is directly related to the Sals recent run. This will sort itself out as more kids begin playing at younger ages and the game continues to develop at multiple levels. One can easily make the old chicken vs egg argument regarding the development of HS and youth programs. I think that strong youth programs drive demand at the HS level. This is exactly what Carol Spiker did when she created the Wilmington Wings. She and her team provided the management structure to allow the coaches to coach. Such a great model for others to follow.

Henlopen split has nothing to do with Sals run, Henlopen has had two divisions for years, its just now there are enough teams with lacrosse to split divisions. Same as Blue Hen divisions A/B in lacrosse

Break into two divisions for the state - that's what I was referring to. You are right that henlopen N/S is a different issue. The two division for DE move was being pushed hard last year by a couple of upstate coaches. Those schools dropped Sals.
Sorry - made the mistake using the word conference. Meant division in response to Tarzan's comment.
This post was edited on 12/7 4:21 PM by WoodenStick

I don't get it. Wouldn't we rather have true state champion? I'm sure IR would love to get another shot at Sallies in Soccer. I'm sure Hodgson would love to get a shot at Sallies in a Football. Have we forgot about to be the best you beat the best.

IR was one of the teams that pushed for the split in soccer. And likewise, in my opinion other sports should follow with the split. Without the split, smaller public schools have zero chance of ever winning a State Championship. In fact, as good as Delmar appears to everyone in football, if it were not for football being one of the sports that split, Delmar would have zero State Championships in football. I certainly mean no disrespect to Delmar, overall they have very good programs for a small school, but High School sports is all about numbers.

The Henlopen split is as you listed it, with 7 teams in the North and 4 teams in the South, The South plays each of their 3 opponents twice a year while the North plays each conference for once a year. The two divisions can play each other but it would be non-conference.

I think it's a nice split- there were talks of doing it by maturity of the program originally to give the newer schools (IR/Woodbridge/Smyrna etc) a chance to develop a program before they butt heads with established programs in the Henlopen North. Although some of the newer schools didn't split to the south, I think it will establish more interest and better play in the long run for the conference top-to-bottom.

In fairness to the top teams in the Henlopen, the split has opened the door to play some tough non-conference opponents and raise the level their competition.

Possibility of a "Conference Championship" between the North/South winners would be pretty cool too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT