ADVERTISEMENT

High School Fall Baseball

oldtimer22

All-State
Nov 16, 2007
If anyone is interested there is a high school fall ball league that plays games out of Piedmont, HB DuPont and Bear. The teams are Charter, Conrad, DMA, Hodgson, Middletown, Mt Pleasant, St E's, St Mark's, Sallies and 2 independent teams. 7 or 8 games each Sunday among the 3 sites.

The high school fall ball league is getting popular fast. Last year I think there were 5 teams and in just it's 2nd year, the league is up to 11 teams. I watched a game at Swift this past Sunday. It's good to watch the boys putting in the extra work.

This weekend's games, 7 games, 11 teams

Sunday, 9/15 Teams and Location

10:00 AM - DMA vs. Conrad (at Swift Park)

10:00 AM - Charter vs. Mt. Pleasant (at HB DuPont)

12:30 PM - Conrad vs. Indy #2 (at Swift Park)

12:30 PM - St. E's vs. Charter (at HB DuPont)

12:30 PM - Hodgson vs. Middletown (at Bear)

3:00 PM - Sallies vs. St. Marks (at Swift Park)

3:00 PM - Indy #1 vs. Hodgson (at Bear)

This is great news to me.

Why not play in the fall? The weather in the fall in Delaware is better than the spring!

Where is Swift Park and HB DuPont?

@8yaz

HB DuPont
735 Meeting House Road, Hockessin

From Newark.
Swift Park is a Piedmont Babe Ruth Field. Take a left on North Star off Paper Mill Rd and follow across Limestone (Rte7). North Star turns into Valley. Field is on the right and uses the library parking lot.

I assume they are using the Bear Babe Ruth field by Red Lion but not sure.

Watched 3 games this weekend. Middletown beat Mt Pleasant, St Mark's beat Middletown and St E's.

St Marks 0 Sallies 0

9 Inning game in a little less than 2 hours.

Well played game by both teams. They both pitched 4-5 pitchers and got 16-17 players into the game.
This post was edited on 9/16 12:20 PM by oldtimer22

September 22nd Schedule

@Swift Park (Valley Rd)

10:00 AM Mt Pleasant vs St Marks
12:30 PM Independent 2 vs Mt Pleasant (Indy 2 is mostly Concord)
3:00 PM Independent 2 vs Sallies

@HB DuPont

10:00 AM DMA vs Hodgson
12:30 PM St E's vs DMA
3:00 PM Conrad vs Sallies

@Bear

12:30 PM Independent 1 vs Middletown
3:00 PM Charter vs Independent 1

Saturday Sept 28th

@Wilson Field

11 AM Conrad vs Sallies

Sunday September 29th Schedule

@Swift Field (Valley Rd)

10 AM Charter vs Hodgson
12:30 PM St E's vs Charter
3:00 PM Independent 1 vs St E's

@HB DuPont

10 AM St Mark's vs Independent 2
12:30 PM Hodgson vs St Mark's

@Bear

12:30 PM Middletown vs DMA
3:00 PM Mt Pleasant vs Middletown

This post was edited on 9/25 10:11 AM by oldtimer22

The game on Saturday at 11:00 is at Wilson Field, Wilmingotn Univerisity. Sallies vs Conrad

Sunday October 6 Schedule

@Valley Road (Swift Field)

10 AM St E's vs. Independent 2 (Concord/Archmere)
12:30 PM St Marks vs. St E's
3 PM Mt Pleasant vs. Independent 1

@ HB DuPont
10 AM Charter vs. DMA
12:30 PM Independent 2 vs. Middletown

@Bear
12:30 PM Hodgson vs. Conrad
3 PM Hodgson vs. Sallies

Hope I got it right this week.

Beautiful weather on Sunday to watch the games. Was really impressed with what HB DuPont has done to their field. New backstop, dugouts and fence. Dirt infield but it was perfect and the outfield was in great shape. Nice place to watch a couple games.

Glad to see that everyone is enjoying the games ! Here is some background on the league. The league is sponsored and was put together by Piedmont Babe Ruth. This is the second year for the league and it has grown from 5 to 11 teams. So far it has been well recieved and we hope that if we do a good job this year we can add more teams from New Castle and possibly Kent County next year. Our goal was to provide an opportunity for high school kids to play some local baseball at a reasonable fee and get ready for the spring season. A secondary goal is that we hope some of these teams will think about playing as a high school team in the 16-18 year old Delaware Summer Babe Ruth league which many people do not know about. The summer league plays it games opposite the American legion schedule, so if kids want to play local baseball all summer they can play both Legion and Babe Ruth baseball.

The fall teams are managed by volunteers and to keep this in the spirit of giving kids an opportunity to show what they can do, playing time rules are very liberal and we do not keep standings. To keep the games from being more than just pick up games we added umpires and uniforms. I think we have found that sweet spot of keeping games competitive but allowing all kids an opportunity to play. Although at times you can tell when schools that are rivals play each other, these games can become pretty competitive which is also fun to watch.

Both the HB and Valley Road fields were put in and are maintained by Piedmont and we believe they are some of the best fields in the county. When we got to 11 teams we needed another field and Bear Babe Ruth was nice enough to allow us to play some games at their brand new baseball complex just off route 1.

Good teams, great coaches, nice fields and unbelivable fall weather has made for a great season so far. If you see a guy riding around on an orange tractor or red toro sand pro, feel free to say hi and talk some baseball !

Groundskeeper99, we see you out there on the orange tractor working on those fields. You have done a great job. I know it's all volunteer work too, so just want to say thank you.

Groundskeeper99 - Ditto 548's comment. Your work makes this league go. Thanks for pulling it all together. And I've always enjoyed talking baseball, Penn State and field work with you.

We did not hold an open registration, but let the fall coaches pick the players they wanted on their teams. We really did not get involved in how coaches picked their players. For the most part it worked, but we did have a few kids that new about the league that did not get picked to be on their respective fall high school team or their high school could not come up with enough players. In the end we were able to place them on one of the independent teams so it all worked. While not perfect, we really have not received many complaints, but I think we need to do a better job making sure that kids know that if they want to play they can be on an independent team. The kids seem to like playing with their high school teammates so we will always probably divide the teams by high school, however if a high school age kids wants to play some baseball and for whatever reason did not end up on a high school team, we want to find them a team to play on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT