ADVERTISEMENT

How long has Coach Rago been coaching?

Too long? Meh. Coach Rago gets a lot out of those kids, has for years. It's just that he's been snake bitten when it comes some schools (public schools in the 80s and 90s, Sanford in the 21st century) just having the better team and none of that has anything to do with his coaching.

How many of his teams could have won the state title if they had Division 2 status like in football or track? I think a couple....

He hasn't been "coaching" for years. His assistants, primarily Rubincam before he left for Charter, run the show.

Even if there was 2 division basketball St E's would still have to deal with the Vo-Techs and Sanford would probably be a D2. Jersey goes public and private in different divisions. I dont think DE has enough privates for a division

I hear a lot of Henlopen South fans wanting two divisions in basketball as well. And then I remind them that they would have to deal with Sanford still. If I'm not mistaken, with St. Mark's moving down, Salesianum is the only private Division I school on the boys' side now. Personally, I hate the idea of two divisions in basketball. Football, wrestling, track. Those sports rely a lot on numbers and it makes sense to have two divisions. Most of the others, including soccer, which does now split, should only be one. In my opinion, at least.

No way am I saying go to 2 divisions in basketball.

Just giving Rago some credit.

1999 St E lost to Wm Penn 64-58 in the quarters. It was a great game. Penn then beat Sussex Tech by 16 in the semis and Lake Forest by 36 in the finals. No question St E was the second best team.

2003 St E lost in OT to Glasgow in the round of 16. Glasgow swept the rest of the field winning each game by about 10 to win the championship.

Just saying....

HEY HEY HEY BriggsBeall, I take offense to that being that I was on that Lake Forest team in '99...LoL. I mean that point differential can't always tell everything neither as we loss to Penn twice that year & it was a much more competitive game at Slam Dunk to the Beach that first game. As for St. E's being the second best team that year Idk about that...we loss 5 games that year losing twice to William Penn & twice to Sussex Tech but beat #1 seed St. Mark's who had only had one loss that entire regular season (vs William Penn I believe) which would mean that they had to have beaten St. E's twice earlie that year if the format was still the same back then.

FYI...William Penn was LOADED that year.

I agree w/ not going to 2 divsions though...I just don't think we have enough schools basketball-wise to warrant 2 divisions/State Champs. I actually like the fact that there is no questions who is THE State Champions.

No disrespect J.

BTW Lake had nice teams back then too. Went to many games there in the day. Any signs of a resurgence?

I don't know Briggs, just not much talent coming through that area anymore. The focus there is on other sports these days...we had a nice little run around '97-2002 but it has been downhill since then. I don't think basketball is taken too seriously there anymore.

We're gonna find out how far Rubincam can take St. E. He is the next St. E. head coach. Starting next season.

This post was edited on 3/15 8:49 AM by Twice Blessed

Rubican is good. He's done a lot for Charter but I don't know how much better he is though. Beat AI in regular season by 10 and lost to them by 20 in playoff game. And if the assistants have been coaching for all these years why would you hire one than if they can't win either?? Just saying...

Why would Rago,leave with all that talent coming back? Money, Curry, Cropper, Thomas, etc.

I couldn't resist posting on this topic as an avid HS fan, these jobs don't seem to open up to frequently. I don't know Rago personally and can't confirm anything as to wether he is staying or going. And while Rubicam seems to be a possibility, he is not the only one that's qualified and may have interest in that job should it come available. Former Hodgson Coach Sobo stepped down this past year to take a year or two off, Hodgson didn't look like the same team. I don't know him personally but his credentials and coaching abilities certainly would put him in the forefront for any significant job opening in DE HS. Anyone know him? or know if he wants to coach again?

No disrespect.But Coach Sobo will not be coaching at St. E. He has no ties to the school. That job will go to a coach with ties to St. E, like Rubincam. Coach Rago will be graciously removed from the job. He deserves that much. The fact that they have young talent is the reason a new coach will be brought in. One of the posters asked why he would leave with all that talent. It's not his choice. The new A.D. is looking to improve all aspects of St. E. sports. The previous A.D. (Hemphill) only cared about football and the other sports suffered because of it. The new A.D. is a good man and isn't afraid to make changes. If ya wanna coach at St. E. ya better have Viking blood in ya or ya got no shot.

Your kidding right? Under Hemphill Girls basketball won 5 state championships and several runner ups. Boys basketball has always been relavent and Baseball is always a top team. So don't agree with only cared about football and other sports suffered. The new AD is making change but I'm also hearing some alumni are not happy with how he is approaching things. More like you better be friend of the new AD or you have no chance for a job.

That's why I love being a yellow jacket. No of these issues.

Thank you for your post towel boy. I can surmise your a Viking alum and appreciate your loyalty to your HS and brothers over there. As is the case with most big jobs, a natural choice is typically someone with ties to the program. Rubicam or even Ty Perry would seem to be a good fit, but if the AD truly wants to find the best coach for the Job he certainly would be remiss not to consider all outstanding candidates for that job. Any other jobs opening up that anyone is aware of?

It's not so much the alumni that is not happy. It is mostly the school administration, which also happen to be mostly alumni. I am also an alumni and have heard plenty about this issue. It is also true that being a friend of the A.D. doesn't hurt. Touche' MightyMik. Well said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT