ADVERTISEMENT

LSU/Jake Fraley

Jan 25, 2013
Congrats to Jake Fraley on an outstanding Freshman season at LSU. Although the Tigers Season ended abruptly last night, those of us following in Delaware enjoyed the ride.

Jake finished with a .372 average, 3 homeruns, 1 triple and 7 doubles. A .521 slugging % and a .419 on-base%.

Not too shabby for a kid from Delaware who was never good enough to be our POY!

Way to go Jake!

Watched Jake on TV a few times this year...he is going to be a special player in Baton Rouge with huge upside

Congrats, he is a special player.

Justde, you bring up another great point thou, by now I'll bet you realize what it means to be a Buc, as far as how outsiders treat CA.

Everyone seems to like numbers...try these

NO First team All-State players for the:

2014 Delaware State Champs
#1 raked team in the Northeast region (Maxpreps)
#27 raked team in the country (Maxpreps)

1st base - Brendan Erne - Highest batting average in the State, and NO errors in the field. none!
Pitcher - Jason Billous - Most wins (11-1) in the State and lowest ERA, 84 K
Pitcher - Cory Hart (8-1) 1.91 Era 75K
2nd base - Connor Corbitt - over 400 batting average most of the year and one error
Ryan Zweir - feared batter and go ahead try to steal. Handles top five pitchers with ease

These stats were not elevated by batting or only pitching against the likes of Tatnall/Tower Hill/Sanford/Red Lion, these were earned against Riverdale, St. Joe's, St. Marks, Arch Curley etc...

I would like to nominate a new category for All-State, Trainer of the Year, problem is every year that would go to Marty Yuhas, he is the man behind the success.

At some point other schools will figure out why St. Mark's and Caravel play the schedule they play.

Caravel players do sometimes get the short end of the stick when it comes to All state selection. This might have to do with in state teams not seeing them play because of all the out of state teams they schedule. Could be a bias because of this. Bottom line is they have many outstanding players.

All the titles like "Delaware all state" does not carry much weight. Yes it is an honor to those selected and to those who receive such awards (not discounting any players or school/coaches), but a title such as 1st team all state does not confine a player from being successful in higher levels of baseball (high school, college, or pro). At the end of the day, it's about who is able to achieve what in situations most dream of. Congrats to Jake and all the caravel players who have made the program what it is. Not taking anything away from any other team or players who have received attention for their performance, but in the end, it's about what a person is able to achieve time and time again, not about an award received in high school!

Originally posted by CACULT:

1st base - Brendan Erne - Highest batting average in the State
Pitcher - Jason Billous - Most wins (11-1) in the State and lowest ERA, 84 K
How would one go about finding out who had the highest batting average, or the lowest ERA in the state? Does this comparative data exist in one place somewhere?

This post was edited on 6/4 6:10 AM by 8yaz

This takes a simple but time consuming seat in front of computer. Looking at Maxpreps, Website4sports, newspaper (for pitcher wins/loses) and gamechanger type programs. Be careful of scorekeeping programs as they are sometimes completed by a parent of the team.

This takes a simple but time consuming seat in front of computer. Looking at Maxpreps, Website4sports, newspaper (for pitcher wins/loses) and gamechanger type programs. Be careful of scorekeeping programs as they are sometimes completed by a parent of the team.
None of those sites have complete stats for every team and every player in the state. I'm sure these kids that you wrote about had great stats, but there is no way to know who had the "highest batting average in the state" by doing some research on maxpreps, website4sports, etc.

NASA and DIAA are cut from same cloth....plus in 2014 you cannot hide from the internet.

NASA and DIAA are cut from same cloth....plus in 2014 you cannot hide from the internet.
NASA? Do you mean the NSA? Are you saying you have access to all baseball stats in the state?

CACULT. the only problem I have with the stats you mentioned is that I have been to many CA games and seen multiple errors made during a game and then the box score the next day shows no errors and all hits. These were not questionable errors but somehow they never get recorded which makes your players averages better and makes them look like better fielders. IMO, no one trusts your coaches or your score keepers. This is probably a statewide issue but coaches have to trust that the stats are genuine. You can quote all the stats you want, but other coaches don't put much stock in them. Perform head to head in a meaningful game and you make an impression. Coaches and parents are also upset that CA gets to coach their kids out of the season in travel ball which hurts the CA kids chances also.

If you look just at the performances during the tournament, the Hart kid and Bilos kid deserve to be 1st team for sure! Hart put the team on his back. The 1st baseman had a number of key hits also. Pitching wins tournaments and CA had the best pair.

And on the original topic, it is great to see Fraley doing great things at LSU and representing DE!

Unfortunately, you will never know what the true batting average was for each player by looking at websites4sports... If a kid had a double and a single in a game, you will most likely only see the double on there. Or if he hit two singles and didn't get any rbi's you may not see those singles either.
In college, I believe you will see that all stats are "true" stats. High School isn't like the unfortunately, They sometimes pad the stats to make it look better for the player going into the conference selection.

Congrats to Jake!!! Look forward to following this 2014 group of boys to the next level.

TheDEtop20 ....you are absolutely correct, you cannont get enough information on any of these sites to put together stats. Trust me i tried. I am very interested to see these stats that were compliled on the entire state to determine somebody had the highest average in the state. Even if you could get them, as others have pointed out, their very subjective. I'm a stats guy and i have been to just as many games this year probably as anybody. I have seen at least 30 delaware teams play this year. What makes it in the paper isn't remotely accurate. Just about every game i went to i didn't agree with what was on Website4sports or gamechanger or maxpreps.

CACULT - if you could, please do me a favor and post some of your findings for averages for the state. Top 10 averages maybe so we can see what you compiled. I'm very curious of the results and lets give recognition to all the kids in this top ten.

Also, to the kids you mentioned, Erne, Corbitt, Bilous, Hart, Zweir....all good quality kids with great stats and had a great 2014.

I understand now CA. I was thinking that the agency that took Americans to the moon, NASA, and the DIAA were clearly not cut from the same cloth!

I'd also like to give kudos to Jake Fraley on a great season. Pride of Delaware!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 9:10 PM
Subject: LSU 9, SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA 8 (box score attached; story below)
To:

LSU Baseball Report
For Immediate Release - February 26, 2015

LSU Rallies for 9-8 Win Over Southeastern Louisiana

BATON ROUGE, La. - LSU (7-1) earned a hard-fought victory Thursday night against Southeastern Louisiana (5-4) as a two-run RBI triple by Jake Fraley in the bottom of the eighth inning provided the winning runs in Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field.

LSU returns to action at 7 p.m. Friday against Princeton in Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field. The game will be available online through the SECNetwork+, Watch ESPN and the WatchESPN app. Live audio will be streamed in the Geaux Zone, and the game may be heard on LSU radio affiliates throughout the state.

Freshman right-hander Doug Norman got the start for LSU on Thursday night, working 4.1 innings and allowing six hits and five runs with six strikeouts. Reliever Collin Strall earned the first win of his LSU career after pitching the eighth inning and allowing no runs on one hit.

Southeastern Louisiana reliever Pat Cashman (0-2) was charged with the loss after giving up two runs, one earned, on three hits in three innings.

"Jake Fraley was certainly the hero tonight," said LSU coach Paul Mainieri. "He had a great night at the plate with three hits, and the two-run triple in the eighth that was the difference in the game. He is a tremendous ball player and an even better young man, and I couldn't be happier for him."

In the top of the first, Southeastern's Kevin Carr scored Jacob Seward from third with an RBI single, putting the Lions on the board 1-0.

LSU was able to load the bases in the second inning, and Kramer Robertson helped tie the game with a bases-loaded walk.

The Tigers then exploded for a six-run third inning on five hits. Chris Chinea started the scoring spree with an RBI single to score Mark Laird from second. Alex Bregman also scored on the play after a fielding error by the left fielder Ryan Byers to put LSU up 3-1.

Kade Scivicque then had a sacrifice fly to right-0center for the Tigers' fourth run of the game. After a Danny Zardon walk, Robertson blasted a singled up the middle for an RBI to extend LSU's lead to five. Jared Foster doubled to left for a two out, two-run RBI as LSU moved ahead 7-1.

Norman found himself in trouble early in the fifth inning with the bases loaded and nobody out. After Southeastern's Carson Crites singled for an RBI, Parker Bugg entered the game in relief of Norman, but he was unable to immediately stop the threat. Byers had an RBI walk, and Daniel Midyett was able to score on a wild pitch from Bugg. Pinch hitter Webb Bobo singled to left field for a two-run RBI as Southeastern cut LSU's lead to 7-6.

The Tigers got off to a good start in the bottom half of the inning after a Fraley double to deep right put runners on second and third. Southeastern's Gage Pickett walked Robertson to load the bases with only one out, but LSU was unable to take advantage as Pickett retired the next two batters to end the inning.

Southeastern loaded the bases in the seventh, and the Lions were able to take the lead 8-7 after Zac Person walked Julian Service with the bases loaded, and a wild pitch scored Kennon Menard.

"It was an unusual night for our pitching staff with the number of walks and wild pitches that we're not accustomed to seeing," Mainieri said. "It's tough to throw strikes in extremely cold weather, and that probably had something to do with it. I thought Jesse Stallings threw the ball very well in the ninth to end the game."

LSU found itself in a jam in the eighth when Southeastern loaded the bases after a walk and a wild pitch. Foster was able to save a run with a phenomenal diving catch in right field, and Strall was able to get Nico Cuccia to ground out to keep LSU within one run.

In the bottom half of the inning, a fielding error by Menard at shortstop put two men on base, and LSU was able to take advantage as Fraley helped the Tigers regain the lead, 9-8, with a two-run RBI triple.

Stallings, the LSU closer, took the mound in the ninth to finish the game, earning his fourth save of the season with no hits, one walk and one strikeout.

--------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 10:06 PM
Subject: KENTUCKY 5, LSU 4 - 12 innings (box score attached; story below)
To:

LSU Baseball Report
For Immediate Release - March 13, 2015

KENTUCKY TAKES GAME ONE 5-4 IN 12 INNINGS

BATON ROUGE, La. - Kentucky leftfielder Ka'ai Tom doubled down the right field line to plate two runs for the Wildcats in the 12th inning Friday night, as the Wildcats posted a 5-4 win over top-ranked LSU in an SEC series opener.

Kentucky improved to 17-9 on the season and 3-4 in SEC play, while LSU fell to 22-4 overall and 4-3 in conference play.

The teams will meet in Game 2 of the series Saturday at 6:30 p.m. CT. The game will be available online only via SEC Network+ and can be accessed at LSUsports.net for live stats and audio through the GeauxZone.

Freshman right-hander Alex Lange will get the start on the mound Saturday for LSU, and Kentucky will counter with junior right-hander Dustin Beggs.

Kentucky junior right-hander Zach Strecker earned the win and improved to 2-0 on the season after coming on in relief in the bottom of the ninth for Kentucky, limiting the Tigers to one run and four hits in three innings with two walks. Spencer Jack earned his fourth save of the season after pitching the 12th inning.

LSU redshirt freshman Jesse Stallings (0-1) suffered his first career loss, surrendering two runs on four hits and walking one in 3.2 innings pitched.

LSU starter Jared Poche' worked 6.2 innings, giving up three runs on six hits, striking out three.

"This was one of the most frustrating games I've ever coached, because we made mistakes that we don't usually make," said LSU coach Paul Mainieri. "That falls back on coaching - it's my responsibility to make sure we don't make those kind of mistakes, and I have to make sure the players understand how to correct them and are prepared to execute the right way. Kentucky has a good ball club, so we have to brush this game off and look forward to tomorrow for a chance to even the series."

In the top of the second, centerfielder Andrew Stevenson singled up the middle to lead off the inning, and first baseman Chris Chinea followed with a single through the right side. With runners on first and third and no outs, left fielder Jake Fraley grounded into a fielder's choice to score Stevenson from third. After second baseman Jared Foster reached on a walk, designated hitter Chris Sciambra singled to right-centerfield, scoring Fraley from second base. The Tigers lead Kentucky 2-0 heading into the third inning.

Poche' retired 12 straight batters, heading into the fifth inning. Kentucky second baseman JaVon Shelby reached on an error by third baseman Conner Hale. Poche' worked out of the inning after giving up his first hit to right fielder Dorian Hairston.

In the top of the seventh with one out, Hairston doubled to right-centerfield, and third baseman Thomas Bernal followed with an RBI single. After Bernal advanced to second base with two outs, back-to-back singles by shortstop Connor Heady and centerfielder Kyle Barrett plated two runs for the Wildcats. Kentucky was up 3-2 heading into the bottom of the seventh.

With one out in the bottom of the seventh, Laird singled through the right side. Hale reached on an error by Bernal, allowing Hale to advance to second and Laird to score with two outs. The score was tied at 3-3 after seven innings, and the game eventually headed into extra innings.

In the top of the 12th, Barrett singled through the right side, and first baseman Evan White was hit by a pitch, putting runners on first and second for Tom with two outs. Tom doubled down the right field line, and Kentucky took the 5-3 lead.

In the bottom of the 12th, pinch hitter Grayson Byrd and Andrew Stevenson reached on throwing errors by the third baseman and second baseman, respectively. After a sacrifice bunt moved the runners to scoring position, Fraley flied out to right field, scoring Byrd, leaving the score 5-4.
Jack retired Foster on a ground ball to shortstop to end the game.
---30---
Bill Franques
LSU Athletics
Athletic Administration Building
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Cell: 225.241.4359[/URL]
Office: 225.578.2527[/URL]
wfranqu@lsu.edu

Sent: [/B]Saturday, April 4, 2015 4:52:26 PM
Subject: [/B]LSU 6, ALABAMA 4 - 13 innings (box score attached; story below)

LSU Baseball Report
For Immediate Release - April 4, 2015

TIGERS POST 6-4 WIN OVER ALABAMA IN 13 INNINGS

HOOVER, Ala. - Third-ranked LSU completed a three-game sweep of Alabama Saturday with a 6-4, 13-inning victory over the Crimson Tide at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium.

LSU, posting its second extra-inning win of the series, improved to 27-5 overall and 8-4 in the SEC. Alabama dropped to 15-15 overall and 4-8 in conference play. The sweep was LSU's first in a road series at Alabama since 2001, when the Tigers swept the Tide in Tuscaloosa.

LSU will play host to the University of New Orleans at 6:30 p.m. CT Tuesday in Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field. The game may be viewed on SEC Network +, accessible at WatchESPN.com and the Watch ESPN app. Tuesday's game may be heard on affiliates of the LSU Sports Radio Network, and live audo and stats are available at www.LSUsports.net.

"Another tremendous effort by our players to earn a sweep on the road, which is very hard to do in the SEC" said LSU coach Paul Mainieri. "I'm extremely proud of the way our guys competed throughout the weekend; we demonstrated a lot of poise in winning three tight ball games against a very tough Alabama club. Our bullen, which had struggled early in the series, was outstanding today, and it allowed us to finally break through in the 13th."

The Tigers broke a 4-4 tie in the top of the 13th when centerfielder Andrew Stevenson walked, stole second and moved to third on a throwing error by catcher Taylor Poe, and scored on an errant pickoff attempt by Alabama pitcher Thomas Burrows.

LSU extended the lead to 6-4 when first baseman Chris Chinea singled, moved to second on a passed ball and scored on designated hitter Jake Fraley's single. The single was Fraley's fourth hit of the game, establishing a career high.

Freshman right-hander Jesse Stallings (1-1) earned the first win of his college career, as he worked the final 4.2 innings, allowing no runs on three hits with no walks and two strikeouts.

Stallings retired the first two Alabama hitters in the bottom of the the 13th, but centerfielder Georgie Salem kept the game going with a double down the right-field line. Stallings, however, forced shortstop Mikey White to ground out to second base to end the contest.

Burrows (0-3) was charged with the loss as he surrendered two runs on two hits in 2.1 innings with two walks and one strikeout.

The Tigers grabbed a 2-0 in the first inning as rightfielder Mark Laird singled and scored on a triple by shortstop Alex Bregman. Third baseman Conner Hale grounded out to second base to score Bregman.

Alabama, however, responded with four runs in the bottom of the first against LSU starter Jake Godfrey. Second baseman Kyle Overstreet lined a two-run single and designated hitter J.C. Wilhite and catcher Will Haynie each delivered RBI singles to highlight the rally.

Freshman right-hander Austin Bain relieved Godfrey in the first inning and turned in a brilliant effort, firing 6.2 shutout innings. Bain allowed just three hits while walking one and firing a career-high nine strikeouts.

LSU tied the game with two runs in the fifth as Laird singled and scored on Bregman's double, and Bregman later scored from second base on a wild pitch by Alabama starter Geoffrey Bramblett.

Alabama nearly won the game in the ninth inning on first baseman Cody Henry's single, but LSU centerfielder threw out pinch runner Daniel Cucjen at home to nullify the run.

---30---
Bill Franques
LSU Athletics
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Cell: 225.241.4359
Office: 225.578.2527
wfranqu@lsu.edu

New Orleans Privateers (11-20) at #1 LSU Fighting Tigers (27-5)

DATE/TIME
Tuesday, April 7 - 6:30 p.m. CT (SEC Network +)

STADIUM
Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field (10,326)

RANKINGS
LSU - No. 1 by Perfect Game; No. 3 by Baseball America; No. 3 by USA Today; No. 4 by Collegiate Baseball
UNO - unranked

RADIO
LSU Sports Radio Network affiliates, including WDGL 98.1 FM in Baton Rouge
LSUsports.net - live audio and live stats

The game may be viewed on SEC Network +, accessible at WatchESPN.com and the Watch ESPN app

SERIES RECORD
LSU leads the all-time series with New Orleans, 56-34, including two wins over the Privateers last season. LSU defeated UNO, 2-0, in Baton Rouge in the 2014 season opener and then posted a 7-4 win over the Privateers the next day at Zephyr Field in Metairie, La. The teams will meet again this season on May 12 at Maestri Field in New Orleans.

PITCHING MATCHUP
LSU - Sr. LHP Kyle Bouman (0-1, 9.00 ERA, 10.0 IP, 8 BB, 12 SO)
UNO - Jr. RHP Kevin Kelleher (1-3, 3.54 ERA, 20.1 IP, 12 BB, 29 SO)

BATON ROUGE, La. - Top-ranked LSU (27-5) takes on the University of New Orleans (11-20) at 6:30 p.m. CT Tuesday for Military Appreciation Night at Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field.

The UNO contest begins a five-game week for LSU, which will play host to Northwestern State on Wednesday and to Auburn this weekend.

The Tigers will wear special camouflage caps during Tuesday's game, and fans will receive an LSU Baseball camouflage T-shirt as they enter the stadium. The evening will also feature pregame and in-game ceremonies to recognize military personnel.

The game will be carried on affiliates of the LSU Sports Radio Network, including WDGL 98.1 FM in Baton Rouge, and live audio and stats may be accessed at www.LSUsports.net.

The LSU-UNO game may be viewed on SEC Network +, accessible at WatchESPN.com and the Watch ESPN app.

LSU is ranked No. 1 in the Perfect Game poll this week, marking the fourth week this season the Tigers are No. 1 in at least one poll. LSU was 4-0 in its games last week, including a three-game sweep SEC sweep at Alabama over the weekend.

The Privateers are coached by Ron Maestri, who returned to the program last season after coaching the Privateers from 1972-85 and enjoying a successful career as athletic director at the school. LSU coach Paul Mainieri played for two seasons at UNO under Maestri's leadership in 1978 and '79.

"Aside from my own father, Ron Maestri has made the biggest impact upon me throughout my career," Mainieri said. "He really has been like a second father to me. Coach Maestri showed me how a high intensity level and a strong work ethic can translate into success. I know he will have his team ready to play against us."

Junior shortstop Alex Bregman helped lead LSU to four wins in four games last week, as he batted .529 (9-for-17) with three doubles, two triples, one homer, six RBI, seven runs and three steals in three attempts. Bregman also posted a 1.118 slugging percentage and a .609 on-base percentage, and he recorded a perfect 1.000 fielding percentage in 29 chances, including 19 assists.

Bregman batted .429 (6-for-14) in LSU's three-game SEC sweep at Alabama with two doubles, one triple, two RBI, five runs and three stolen bases. Bregman also kept alive his current streak of reaching base safely in 29 straight games.

Junior first baseman Chris Chinea hit .444 (8-for-18) in the Alabama series with two doubles, two homers, three RBI and three runs. Chinea, who is riding a 10-game hit streak, has four homers this season, and all four dingers have come in the Tigers' last six games.

Sophomore leftfielder Jake Fraley delivered a career-high four hits in Saturday's win at Alabama - his final hit was an RBI single in the top of the 13th inning that added an insurance run in LSU's 6-4 victory.

UNO is hitting .264 as a team with five homers and 24 steals in 34 attempts. The Privateers are led at the plate by senior infielder Jonathan Coco, who is batting .322 with three doubles and 12 RBI. Junior outfielder Ryan Callaway is batting .314 with one double, one homer and 11 RBI, while sophomore outfielder Hezekiah Randolph is hitting .293 with five doubles, one homer and 14 RBI.

LSU leads the all-time series with New Orleans, 56-34, including two wins over the Privateers last season. LSU defeated UNO, 2-0, in Baton Rouge in the 2014 season opener and then posted a 7-4 win over the Privateers the next day at Zephyr Field in Metairie, La. The teams will meet again this season on May 12 at Maestri Field in New Orleans.

---30---
Bill Franques
LSU Athletics
Athletic Administration Bldg.
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
225.578.2527 (office)
225.241.4359 (cell)
225.578.1861 (fax)
wfranqu@lsu.edu

Date: Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 8:18 PM
Subject: LSU 9, NORTHWESTERN STATE 6 (box score attached; story below)
To:

LSU Baseball Report
For Immediate Release - April 8, 2015

LSU DEFEATS NORTHWESTERN STATE, 9-6, FOR SIXTH STRAIGHT WIN

BATON ROUGE, La. - Third-ranked LSU defeated Northwestern State, 9-6, Wednesday night behind three-hit games from designated hitter Chris Sciambra and first baseman Chris Chinea at Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field.

The Tigers improved to 29-5 on the year and extended their winning streak to six games. The Demons fell to 17-15 on the year with the loss.

LSU delivered 15 hits on the night, recording their 12th straight game with double-digit hits. Chinea has now had three or more hits in four straight games. Shortstop Alex Bregman reached base four times and collected four steals. The junior became the fourth player in school history to have four steals in a game.

LSU returns to action this weekend against Auburn. All three games over the weekend will be on SEC Network+ through WatchESPN.com and the Watch ESPN app. Fans can listen to the game through LSU radio affiliates in the state or in the Geaux Zone at LSUSports.net/Live.

LSU freshman right-hander Jake Godfrey (6-0) earned his sixth win of the year and remained unbeaten in his first season. Godfrey worked five innings and only allowed three runs on four hits. Northwestern State's Evan Tidwell (2-3) was charged the loss after pitching two innings and allowing five runs on seven hits.

"I thought we played a pretty good ball game tonight, and we swung the bats very well again," said LSU coach Paul Mainieri. "Godfrey struggled a little bit early, but he minimized the damage and then threw three straight shutout innings. We had some miscues, and it wasn't a completely clean game, but Northwestern State has a very good club and we responded to their challenge."

Northwestern State got on the board in the top of the first inning. Godfrey hit the first batter of the game, Joel Atkinson. Atkinson found himself at third after a groundout and single. The shortstop scored the first run on an RBI groundout by third baseman Chase Daughdrill.

Sciambra tied up the game in the bottom of the first inning with a solo shot over the left-center field wall. It was the third of his career and the second game in a row that he's had a home run.

The Demons added two runs in the top of the second inning on a home run by catcher Garrett Logan.

The Tigers added four more runs in the bottom of the second to take a 5-3 lead. Second baseman Jared Foster hit a one out solo home run to left field bleachers. Third baseman Grayson Byrd reached first on a throwing error and moved to third on a throwing error by the pitcher. Byrd eventually scored on a sac fly by Jake Fraley. Bregman doubled to left- center field to score Sciambra and Chinea singled to right field to score Bregman.

Fraley hit LSU's third home run of the game to lead off the bottom of the fourth inning. The Tigers plated another run on an groundout by Chinea.

Northwestern State cut it to 7-5 in the top of the seventh inning on an RBI groundout by Caleb Dugas and RBI fielder's choice by David Fry.

LSU once again responded with a run in the bottom of the seventh. Chinea added his third hit of the night to score Bregman from second.

Fraley scored from third on a wild pitch by Northwestern State's Chase Hymel to extend the Tiger lead to 9-5 in the bottom of the eighth inning.

The Demons added one final run in the top of the ninth after Zardon made an error on a chopper by Fry.

---30---

LSU WINS SERIES, DEFEATING AUBURN 6-2

BATON ROUGE, La.-Top-ranked LSU erupted for six runs in the first three innings Sunday and defeated Auburn by a score of 6-2 to win the SEC series at Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field.

Senior left-hander Zac Person (2-0) earned the win for the Tigers. He had his second career start and pitched for a career-high of three innings, giving up one hit and striking out two, surrendering no runs.

"We chose to start Zac Person because he's an experienced pitcher who we thought would get us off to a good start, and that's especially important in the third game of a series," said LSU coach Paul Mainieri said. "We also had potential weather issues, so getting off to a good start was critical and Zac did that for us. (LSU relievers) Parker Bugg and Jesse Stallings followed Zac with very good outings and allowed us to win the series.

"We're at the halfway mark of the SEC schedule with 10 league wins, so we're pleased with that record, but we know we can improve. We didn't swing the bats especially well this weekend, and (freshman ace right-hander) Alex Lange didn't pitch in the series, but we still won two out of three, so I'm very proud of our guys."

Auburn's Rocky McCord (2-3) suffered the loss after giving up six runs-five earned-on six hits, walking two and striking out one in two innings of work. Right-hander Justin Camp came on in relief of McCord, allowing only one hit in his 5.1 innings of work, striking out three.

LSU will be back in action Wednesday as the Tigers face Lamar at 6:30 p.m. CT in Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field. The game will be available online only via SEC Network+ and can be accessed at LSUsports.net for live stats and audio through the GeauxZone.

LSU took the early 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first after back-to-back doubles from left fielder Chris Sciambra and right fielder Mark Laird. After an infield single by shortstop Alex Bregman, first baseman Chris Chinea grounded out to the shortstop, allowing Laird to score from third.

In the bottom of the second, centerfielder Andrew Stevenson led off with a walk, and third baseman Conner Hale put runners on the corners after hitting a single to right field. Stevenson scored on designated hitter Jake Fraley's fielder's choice, making the score 3-0 in favor of LSU.

With bases loaded in the bottom of the third inning after Laird singled, Bregman walked and Chinea was hit by a pitch, catcher Kade Scivicque singled to right field, scoring Laird and extending his hitting streak to 20 games. Bregman scored on a wild pitch during Stevenson's at-bat. Stevenson grounded into a fielder's choice, allowing Chinea to score from third base, and LSU took the 6-0 lead after three innings.

In the top of the sixth with two outs, Auburn hit three consecutive singles against Bugg, and designated hitter Blake Logan scored on third baseman Kyler Deese's single, cutting the LSU lead to 6-1.

Auburn scored a run in the top of the eighth inning against Stallings, making the score 6-2 in favor of LSU, after catcher Ben Craft singled Justin Ebert home. Ebert had pinch hit for first baseman Daniel Robert earlier in the inning and singled to right-center.

Bugg and Stallings combined for two earned runs on eight hits and four strikeouts in six innings of work. Bugg pitched a career-high of four innings during his outing.

Date: Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 8:28 PM
Subject: LSU 4, TEXAS A&M 3 (box score attached; story below)
To:

LSU Baseball Report

For Immediate Release- April 23, 2015

TOP-RANKED LSU POSTS WALK-OFF WIN OVER NO. 2 TEXAS A&M, 4-3

BATON ROUGE, La. – Designated hitter Danny Zardon hit a walk-off single down the left field line Thursday night to score second baseman Jared Foster as top-ranked LSU defeated No. 2 Texas A&M, 4-3, in Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field.

LSU improved to 36-6 overall and moved into sole possession of first place in the SEC standings with a 13-5 league mark. Texas A&M dropped to 36-6 and 12-6.

The teams return to action on Friday for Game 2 at 7 p.m. CT. The game will be televised on the SEC Network Alternate channel, and it can be heard on affiliates of the LSU Sports Radio Network. Live audio and stats will be available atvwww.LSUsports.net.

In the bottom of the ninth, Foster singled to center witn one out to put a runner on for the Tigers, and a wild pitch by reliever Andrew Vinson advanced Foster into scoring position. Zardon then bounced a single inside the third-base bag, giving LSU the win over the Aggies.

“It’s a great example of what perseverance and determination can accomplish,” said LSU coach Paul Mainieri. “Danny Zardon has been in and out of our lineup this season, but he’s always kept his head up and continued to work extremely hard. In fact, I thought he had his best batting practice session of the year yesterday in practice. His hit culminated a fantastic college baseball game; it was like two heavyweight fighters slugging it out and absorbing body blows, and fortunately we were able to earn the walk-off win.”

LSU’s Collin Strall (3-0) earned the win for the Tigers, recording a strikeout in the top of the ninth to with the bases loaded and the Aggies threatening to take the lead. Vinson (3-1) was charged with the loss, allowing four hits and one run with one strikeout in two innings.

In the top of the first, Texas A&M’s Nick Banks singled to right against LSU starter Jared Poche’, scoring Blake Allemand to give the Aggies a 1-0 lead.

Catcher Michael Barash’s RBI single in the second inning increased the Aggies’ lead to 2-0.

LSU catcher Kade Scivicque singled to right in the fourth to put runners on first and second. Centerfielder Andrew Stevenson hit an RBI fielder’s choice, scoring third baseman Conner Hale with the Tigers’ first run. After Stevenson stole second, first baseman Chris Chinea tied the game for LSU with an RBI single through the left side.

In the bottom of the seventh, LSU leftfielder Jake Fraley stole third base to put runners on the corners. Rightfielder Mark Laird was safe on an RBI fielder’s choice, bringing in Fraley as LSU grabbed a 3-2 lead.

The Aggies tied the game in the top of the ninth on an RBI single by third baseman Logan Nottebrook. After the Aggies drew a pair of walks to load the bases, Strall was called from the bullpen and struck out G.R. Hinsley for the third out.

Poche’ pitched very effectively, limiting Texas A&M to two runs – one earned – on six hits in seven innings with no walks and one strikeout. Texas A&M starter Grayson Long pitched 6.1 innings, allowing three runs on six hits with three walks and four strikeouts.

---30---

For Immediate Release – April 24, 2015

TOP-RANKED BASEBALL DEFEATS NO. 2 TEXAS A&M, 9-6

BATON ROUGE, La. – Down 5-2 through six innings, top-ranked LSU scored seven unanswered runs in the seventh and eighth innings to defeat No. 2 Texas A&M, 9-6, Friday night in front of over 12,000 fans at Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field.

LSU, which posted a 4-3 win in Game 1 of the series on Thursday night, improved to 37-6 and 14-5 in the SEC, while Texas A&M dropped to 36-7 overall and 12-7 in league play.

The teams conclude the series at 1 p.m. CT Saturday in a game that will be televised by ESPN. Saturday’s game may be heard on affiliates of the LSU Sports Radio Network, and live audio and stats will be available at www.LSUsports.net.

“It was a another tremendous night for college baseball,” said LSU coach Paul Mainieri. “Two outstanding teams performing in front of a huge crowd in an electric atmosphere. I’m extremely proud of our guys for the effort in making a great comeback. Their starting pitcher was excellent – he had a terrific curveball and he was throwing his fastball at 93-94 mph. Fortunately, we finally started to get to him in the seventh inning as his pitch count went up, and we had some tremendous at-bats.

The Tigers went into the seventh inning with a three-run deficit and Aggie starting pitcher Ryan Hendrix throwing his best stuff. That changed in the bottom half of the inning as LSU scored four runs to take the lead.

First baseman Chris Chinea and left fielder Jake Fraley led off the inning with back-to-back singles. Second baseman Jared Foster singled through the left side to score Chinea and get Fraley to third. Designated hitter Chris Sciambra followed with a perfectly placed safety squeeze to score Fraley.

Relief pitcher Mark Ecker entered the game with one out and Alex Bregman at the plate. Bregman and Ecker battled to a 3-2 count and the shortstop doubled down the left-field line to push LSU to a 6-5 lead.

LSU didn’t let up in the bottom of the eighth inning as the Tigers added three more runs. Stevenson hit a one-out single up the middle and flew from first to home on a double to left field by Chinea. The Aggies brought in reliever Blake Kopetsky, but LSU pushed two more runs across the plate on a triple by Fraley and a groundout by Foster.

LSU reliever Russell Reynolds improved to 4-0 on the year after entering the game in the sixth inning and allowing just two hits in 1.2 innings of work. Sophomore Hunter Newman earned his third save in his last three appearances after working two innings and allowing one run with no walks and one strikeout.

LSU starter Alex Lange worked 5.1 innings and was charged with five runs – four earned- on eight hits with five walks and seven strikeouts.

Hendrix (3-1) was charged with the loss as he surrendered six runs on 10 hits in 6.1 innings with no walks and nine strikeouts.

Texas A&M got on the board first with a one-out RBI single up the middle by left fielder Logan Taylor.

Third baseman Conner Hale responded for LSU in the bottom of the first with a two-out RBI single through the right side to score Bregman.

LSU grabbed a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the second on a single up the middle by Fraley that scored Stevenson.

The Aggies plated a run each in the third and fourth innings. Third baseman Ronnie Gideon singled up the middle to score Taylor in the third, and shortstop Blake Allemand scored centerfielder J.B. Moss with a double down the right field line in the fourth

Right fielder Nick Banks pushed the Texas A&M lead to 5-2 in the top of the sixth inning with a two-RBI single up the middle.

---30---

Date: Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 5:43 PM
Subject: COLLEHE BASEBALL: Neumann 8, Gwynedd Mercy 4
To: Jill C Weigel <WEIGELJ@neumann.edu>

Neumann University

4/24/15

Baseball

Neumann 8, Gwynedd Mercy 4

ASTON, Pa. – The Neumann University baseball team defeated Gwynedd Mercy University 8-4 in Colonial States Athletic Conference (CSAC) action on Friday evening.

AJ Koscelansky (jr. East Norriton, Pa. / Pope John Paul II) led the Knights with three hits and three RBI. Matt Sheneman (sr. Flemington, N.J. / Hunterdon Regional) contributed two hits and three runs.

Matt Anderson (so. Newark, Del. / Hodgkin Vo. Tech) started the game and went the first 3.0 innings. He gave up four runs on five hits and struck out two. Zach Youngberg (so. Delran, N.J. / Delran) came in relief and went 4.0 innings. He picked up his second win of the season. He gave up one hit and struck out five. Tyler Thomas (so. Elkton, Md. / Elkton) closed out the final 2.0 innings and did not give up a hit.

Neumann got on the board first in the second inning. Eric Bergman (so. Ridley, Pa. / Ridley) singled to lead off the inning. He advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt and then to third on a groundout. Kyle Leone (sr. Elmhurst, Ill. / York) drove him in with a single.

Neumann and Gwynedd Mercy would go back and forth, changing leads three times in the first three innings. After three innings, Gwynedd Mercy had a 4-2 lead. Neumann would take the lead for good in the top of the sixth.

Leone got on by an error and Buddy Elgin (sr. Chestertown, Md. / Kent County) followed that with a double. Jarad Carney (sr. Aston, Pa. / Sun Valley) singled to bring in Leone. Sheneman doubled to drive in Elgin and knot the game at 4-4. Koscelansky gave the Knights a 6-4 lead with a two-out, two-run single. Neumann would add two runs in the top of the eighth to increase its lead to four.

Neumann (15-8-1, 8-5 conference) will host Gwynedd Mercy on Saturday for two CSAC contests. First pitch is slated to be at 12:00 PM.

Subject: LSU 5, MISSISSIPPI STATE 3 - 14 innings (box score attached; story below) EXTRA-INNING VICTORY MARKS PAUL MAINIERI'S 400TH LSU CAREER WIN
To:

LSU Baseball Report

For Immediate Release – April 30, 2015

EXTRA-INNING VICTORY MARKS PAUL MAINIERI'S 400TH LSU CAREER WIN

STARKVILLE, Miss. – Senior third baseman Conner Hale’s two-run double in the top of the 14th inning Thursday night lifted top-ranked LSU to a 5-3 win over Mississippi State at Dudy Noble Field.

The victory was the 400th career LSU victory for coach Paul Mainieri, who is now 400-156-3 in nine seasons at the helm of the program. Mainieri is the second-winningest coach at LSU, trailing only Skip Bertman, who had 870 wins in 18 seasons (1984-2001). Bertman also earned his 400th career LSU win during his ninth season in Baton Rouge.

LSU improved to 39-7, 15-6 in the SEC. The Tigers are in a first-place tie with Vanderbilt in the overall league standings. Mississippi State dropped to 23-23 and 7-15.

LSU is 4-3 this season in extra-inning games, 3-3 in extra-inning SEC contests.

The teams continue the series with Game 2 at 7 p.m. CT Friday. The game will be televised by ESPNU, and it can be heard on the affiliates of the LSU Sports Radio Network. Live stats and audio are available at www.LSUsports.net.

“It was an unbelievable game and a very important win for us as we play what is essentially a pennant race down the stretch,” Mainieri said . “We made some tremendendous plays to stay in the game, and I thought our pitching was outstanding.”

The Bulldogs took a 2-0 lead in the first as first baseman Wes Rea delivered an RBI single and leftfielder Reid Humphreys added a run-scoring groundout.

LSU responded with two runs in the top of the fourth as third baseman Conner Hale reached on an error and later scored on a wild pitch, and designated hitter Danny Zardon produced an RBI single.

The Tigers added a run in the fifth as shortstop Alex Bregman doubled, moved to third on Hale’s infield single and scored when catcher Kade Scivicque grounded into a double play.

The Bulldogs tied the game at 3-3 in the bottom of the ninth against LSU starter Jared Poche’ when Humphreys ripped an RBI double to score third baseman Luke Reynolds, who had singled and moved to second on a single by Rea. It appeared Mississippi State would win the game on Humphreys’ double, but pinch runner Matt Spruill, who was following Reynolds, tripped as he rounded third and was tagged out by the Tigers.

Later in the ninth, Bregman kept a potential game-winning single from going into left field to keep the Tigers alive.

Fraley also extended the game in the 11th when he threw out centerfielder Jacob Robson at the plate when Robson was attempting to score the winning run from second on shortstop Ryan Gridley’s two-out single.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen three game-saving plays in one night,” Mainieri said. “It was amazing, and I’m very proud of our guys for maintaining the focus necessary to win a very hard-fought game.”

LSU finally broke out on top in the 14th as MSU reliever Trevor Fitts walked leftfielder Jake Fraley to start the frame, and Fraley advanced to second on rightfielder Mark Laird’s sacrifice bunt. Fitts intentionally walked Bregman before the runners advanced to second and third on a wild pitch.

Hale then blasted a double to the right-centefield game to score Fraley and Bregman with the go-ahead runs.

LSU closer Jesse Stallings earned his 12th save of the season, retiring the side in order in the bottom of the 14th.

Freshman right-hander Jake Godfrey (7-0), who recorded two outs to end the Mississippi State 13th, was credited with the victory. Godfrey allowed one hit, but also recorded a strikeout to close out the inning.

Poche’ pitched a career-long nine innings, limiting the Bulldogs to three runs – two earned – on eight hits with two walks and four strikeouts.

Fitts (2-4) was charged with the loss, as he allowed two runs on six hits in 4.1 innings with three walks and two strikeouts.

---30---

Bill Franques

LSU Athletics

Baton Rouge, LA 70803

wfranqu@lsu.edu

LSU Baseball Report

For Immediate Release-May 10, 2015

TOP-RANKED LSU POSTS 6-5, 10TH-INNING WIN OVER NO. 21 MISSOURI

BATON ROUGE, LA. —Sophomore leftfielder Jake Fraley hit a walk-off single up the middle in the bottom of the 10th inning Sunday, lifting top-ranked LSU (43-8, 19-7 SEC) to a 6-5 win and series sweep of No. 21 Missouri (28-24, 14-13 SEC) in Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field.

LSU is in first place in the overall SEC standings, 1.5 games ahead of second-place Vanderbilt (18-9). The Tigers are two games ahead of Texas A&M (17-9) in the SEC Western Division race.

The Tigers will travel to face the University of New Orleans on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. CT at UNO’s Maestri Field. The game will be televised by Cox Sports Television, and it may also be viewed at ESPN3.com. The game will be carried by LSU Sports Radio Network affiliates, and live audio and stats are available at www.LSUsports.net.

LSU concludes the regular season with a three-game series at South Carolina Thursday through Saturday.

Sophomore right-hander Russell Reynolds (5-0) earned the win Sunday for LSU, working a scoreless top of the 10th inning. Missouri right-hander Breckin Williams (4-3) was charged with the loss, as he allowed one run on five hits in 3.2 innings.

In the bottom half of the 10th inning, senior third baseman Conner Hale and senior catcher Kade Scivicque delivered singles before Fraley scored Hale from third base on a single up the middle to give LSU its second walk-off win of the season.

“This was a game with a lot of ebbs and flows,” said LSU coach Paul Mainieri. “We faced an early deficit, as we have in eight of our last nine SEC games, but our guys didn’t flinch. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that we’ve trailed early in so many games lately because we weren’t affected by being down by three runs in the first inning. We fought back, took the lead, they tied it, we got the lead back, they came back to tie it in the ninth, and we finally were able to win it in the 10th.

“I told our guys that from now on, we will be playing for a championship every weekend,” Mainieri said. “Our players have worked extremely hard to put themselves in a position to play for a ring each week for the rest of the season. We have a chance to win a division title and a conference title this coming week, then there’s the SEC Tournament and afterwards the NCAA Tournament. We’re looking forward to playing for something significant for the remainder of the season.”

LSU starting pitcher Kyle Bouman pitched a third of an inning, giving up three runs on two hits. Freshman right-hander Austin Bain came relieved Bouman in the first inning and was spectacular, limiting Missouri to one run on two hits and firing seven strikeouts in 5.1 innings. Bain struck out the first six Missouri batters that he faced.

Missouri starter Peter Fairbanks pitched 4.2 innings, allowing four runs on five hits with three strikeouts.

In the top of the first, third baseman Josh Lester’s three-run homer off of Bouman gave Missouri an early 3-0 lead.

LSU’s bats caught fire in the fourth as shortstop Alex Bregman broke up Missouri’s no-hit bid with a double off the left-center wall. Bregman stole third on the next play, and Hale hit an RBI-single for LSU’s first run. A base hit from Fraley loaded the bases, and first baseman Chris Chinea hit a sac fly to bring in Hale, cutting Missouri’s lead 3-2.

A passed ball advanced rightfielder Mark Laird to second in the bottom of the fifth. After Bregman was walked, Hale tied the game with a single up the middle. Scivicque’s two-out RBI-single gave LSU its first lead of the game, 4-3.

Missouri responded in the sixth as shortstop Ryan Howard blasted a homer to left against Bain, tying the game 4-4. Chinea retaliated in the bottom half of the inning, ripping a solo shot to left to reclaim the lead for LSU, 5-4.

In the ninth inning, Missouri’s Zach Lavy singled and advanced to second on a fielding error. Designated hitter Shane Benes doubled to left field to drive in Lavy for the tying run.

Reynolds entered the game in the top of the 10th with runners and first and third and nobody out, but he worked out of the jam, including inducing an inning-ended double play grounder from right fielder Trey Harris.

---30---

Date: Wed, May 20, 2015 at 8:26 PM
Subject: LSU 9, AUBURN 8 (box score attached; story below)
To:

LSU Baseball Report

For Immediate Release – May 20, 2015

LSU RALLIES FOR 9-8 WIN OVER AUBURN IN SEC TOURNAMENT

HOOVER, Ala. – Top-ranked LSU erased a five-run deficit with a six-run fifth inning Wednesday night as the Tigers posted a 9-8 win over Auburn in the SEC Tournament at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium.

LSU (47-9) will play the winner of Wednesday night’s Florida-Arkansas game at approximately 8 p.m. Thursday night. Auburn (35-23) will face the loser of Wednesday night’s Florida-Arkansas game at approximately 1 p.m. Thursday.

Two-time defending tournament champion LSU has won eight straight SEC Tournament games, dating back to 2013. The Tigers have won 11 straight games in Hoover Metropolitan Stadium, including three regular-season wins earlier this season against Alabama.

LSU’s game on Thursday night will be televised by the SEC Network, and it can be heard on affiliates of the LSU Sports Radio Network. Live audio and stats are available in the Geaux Zone at www.LSUsports.net.

Trailing 8-3, LSU erupted for six runs on six hits in the fifth inning to take a 9-8 lead. Leftfielder Jake Fraley lined an RBI single before third baseman Conner Hale delivered a two-run single to narrow the deficit to 8-6. Kade Scivicque’s RBI double reduced Auburn’s lead to one run before first baseman Chris Chinea’s double tied the game at 8-8.

The six-run outburst was culminated by an RBI single from designated hitter Chris Sciambra that scored Chinea and gave LSU its first lead of the game.

“That was about the ugliest game of the year that we have played for the first four innings,” said LSU coach Paul Mainieri. “Somehow we found a way to win the game. That to me is a credit to our kids. They really hang in there. We’ve become so used to falling behind in games that our guys don’t flinch. They know we have a good offensive team, and they’re not going to give up when we fall behind like that.”

LSU’s opponent has scored first in 11 of its last 13 games against SEC opponents. LSU is 8-3 in those 11 games in which it faced an early deficit.

Freshman right-hander Doug Norman (5-1), the third of seven LSU pitchers, earned the win, allowing one unearned run on one hit in two innings with no walks and one strikeout.

Auburn reliever Trey Wingenter (1-6) was charged with the loss as he surrendered three runs on four hits in three innings with no walks and three strikeouts.

Sophomore right-hander Parker Bugg earned his second save of the season for LSU, pitching a scoreless ninth inning with one walk and two strikeouts.

Auburn grabbed a 5-0 lead against LSU starter Jared Poche’ in the top of the first inning as catcher Blake Logan lined a run-scoring single, third baseman Alex Polston produced a two-RBI single and shortstop Cody Nulph blasted a two-run double.

LSU narrowed the gap to 5-3 in the second inning as Sciambra delivered a two-out RBI single, and second baseman Jared Foster launched a two-run homer, his ninth dinger of the season and his first since April 8 versus Northwestern State.

Auburn extended the lead to 7-3 in the third against reliever Jake Godfrey as designated hitter Jordan Ebert ripped a two-run single. Auburn added a run in the fourth when second baseman Melvin Gray lifted a sacrifice fly.

---30---

Bill Franques

LSU Athletics

Baton Rouge, LA 70803

wfranqu@lsu.edu

ate: Thu, May 21, 2015 at 10:05 PM
Subject: LSU 10, ARKANSAS 5 (box score attached; story below)
To:

LSU Baseball Report

For Immediate Release – May 21, 2015

LSU ADVANCES TO SEC TOURNAMENT SEMIFINAL WITH 10-5 WIN OVER ARKANSAS

HOOVER, Ala. – Top-ranked LSU advanced to the SEC Tournament semifinal for the third straight year Thursday night as the Tigers posted a 10-5 win over No. 20 Arkansas at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium.

LSU (48-9), which has won five of the previous seven SEC Tournament championships and two in a row, will play either Florida or Arkansas in the semifinals on Saturday afternoon. The game will begin 30 minutes after the conclusion of the Noon semifinal game on Saturday between Texas A&M and either Alabama or Vanderbilt.

Thursday’s win marked LSU’s ninth straight victory in an SEC Tournament game, dating back to 2013.

Arkansas dropped to 35-21 with Thursday’s loss and will face Florida on Friday evening in an elimination contest.

LSU capitalized on six errors committed by Arkansas in Thursday’s game, including three miscues in the first inning as the Tigers seized a 4-0 lead.

“I think Arkansas’ errors were the result of the pressure that we put on them,” said LSU coach Paul Mainieri. “We put a lot of pressure on them with our speed and the running game. I thought our team’s speed and our bat-handling ability were big factors early in the game. We put pressure on them, they made some mistakes, and we took advantage of them.”

LSU scored four runs in the top of the first inning against Arkansas starter James Teague. Third baseman Conner Hale lifted a sacrifice fly and first baseman Chris Chinea lined an RBI single to highlight the outburst for the Tigers, who also stole two bases and took advantage of a wild pitchh and three Arkansas errors in the frame.

The Tigers extended the lead to 6-0 in the second as rightfielder Mark Laird ripped an RBI double and shortstop Alex Bregman delivered an run-scoring single.

Arkansas narrowed the deficit to 6-4 in the second against LSU starter Austin Bain as shortstop Michael Bernal, first baseman Clark Eagan and leftfielder Joe Serrano each lined RBI singles, and another run scored on a Bain wild pitch.

LSU reliever Russell Reynolds took over for Bain in the second with two outs and a runner at first, and he retired Arkansas centerfielder Andrew Benintendi, the SEC Player of the Year, on a fly ball to left field.

Reynolds (6-0) was brillant in relief, working 3.1 shutout innings and allowing just two hits with no walks and three strikeouts.

Teague (4-4) was charge with the loss as he surrendered six runs – two earned – on six hits in two innings with one walk and no strikeouts.

The Tigers scored two runs in the fourth against Arkansas reliever Jackson Lowery as leftfielder Jake Fraley slapped a run-scoring single and Bregman contributed a sacrifice fly.

Bregman lifted another sacrifice fly in the seventh and centerfielder Andrew Stevenson added a two-out RBI single to give the Tigers a 10-4 advantage.

Arkansas plated a run in the bottom of the seventh rightfielder Tyler Spoon lined a run-scoring single.

Bregman finished 1-for-2 at the plate with three RBI, and second baseman Jared Foster collected three hits and scored two runs to pace the Tigers’ 12-hit attack.

---30---

Bill Franques

LSU Athletics

Baton Rouge, LA 70803

wfranqu@lsu.edu

LSU Baseball Report

For Immediate Release – May 29, 2015

Baseball Topples Lehigh in NCAA Opener, 10-3

BATON ROUGE, La. – LSU stole eight bases for the first time in more than 20 years, overcame a rain delay and a 2-0 deficit to advance in the NCAA Baseball Regional, 10-3, over Lehigh on Friday at Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field.

LSU (49-10), champions of the Southeastern Conference and No. 2 national seed in the 64-team tournament, scored at least a run in each frame from the fourth through the eighth innings to pull away from Lehigh (25-30).

“First of all, I would like to compliment Lehigh,” said LSU coach Paul Mainieri. “I was just so impressed by the caliber of young men in their program.. You can just see they have an aura about them of maturity and poise. Their left-handed pitcher really gave us a tough time in those first few innings. He wasn’t a hard thrower, but he was making his fastball run. He was throwing some good change-ups and breaking balls.”

The Tigers return to action in a winner's bracket game against the winner of Friday's nightcap between UNC Wilmington and Tulane. The game will be televised starting Saturday at 8 p.m. CT. by the SEC Network with live streaming video on ESPN3.com. The LSU Sports Radio Network pregame show begins at 7:30 p.m. on Eagle 98.1 FM in Baton Rouge and around the world in the Geaux Zone at www.LSUsports.net/live.

As planned, the Tigers used seven pitchers, of whom Austin Bain was the only to throw more than an inning of work. The staff allowed only five hits with two walks and seven strikeouts.

Andrew Stevenson led LSU at the plate, going 3-for-5 with two runs and an RBI. Eight players had at least one of LSU's 13 hits.

In winning its 26th-straight NCAA Regional opener, the Tigers stole eight bases for the first time since March 26, 1995, at Vanderbilt. It was also a postseason record for the LSU program, breaking the previous mark of five set in 1975.

Lehigh dropped into Saturday's loser's bracket game at 3 p.m. CT. That game will be streamed on ESPN3.com.

LSU starter Alden Cartwright needed only 11 pitches to retire the Mountain Hawks in order in the top of the first. However, when a sudden downpour soaked the infield and delayed the game prior to the bottom of the inning by more than two hours, LSU head coach Paul Mainieri elected to use his bullpen an inning or two earlier than originally planned.

Austin Bain took over for the Tigers and worked around a single and a walk in the third inning to keep the game scoreless.

In the fourth, Mike Garzillo hit his 17th double of the season off Bain and scored on a fielding error by LSU second baseman Jared Foster to put Lehigh ahead. A double by Patrick Walshe increased the lead to 2-0.

A second time through the batting order, the Tigers figured out soft-throwing lefty Nick Macaione in the bottom of the fourth. Stevenson and Chris Chinea each singled and advanced to second and third on a wild pitch. Danny Zardon's RBI groundout cut the deficit to 2-1 before another wild pitch allowed Chinea to tie the game.

Hunter Newman (3-0) took the mound for LSU in the top of the fifth and worked around a leadoff walk with three-straight outs.

In the bottom of the fifth, the Tigers took their first lead, 3-2, off Lehigh reliever Kevin Boswick (3-4), who took the loss. Alex Bregman was hit by a pitch and stole second before Conner Hale walked. Bregman advanced to third when Hale was caught stealing second and then scored on single back up the middle by Kade Scivicque.

A quick 1-2-3 inning by LSU's Jessie Stallings in the top of the sixth allowed the Tigers to continue its momentum with three more runs in the bottom of the inning. The Tigers extended the lead to 6-2 with an RBI double by pinch hitter Chris Sciambra, a bases-load walk to Hale and an RBI groundout by Scivicque.

First, (Kade) Scivicque came through with a clutch hit for us with an RBI single up the middle,” Mainieri said. “Then when Chris (Sciambra) came in after they made the pitching change and that was just an enormous hit for us. I felt like it really loosened us up and gave us some space on the scoreboard. Just to see a good clutch hit like that gave our guys a big lift.”

After Lehigh struck for a single run off a Doug Norman wild pitch in the top of the seventh, the Tigers added a pair of runs in both the seventh and eighth innings. In the seventh, Sciambra drove in Chinea with a sacrifice fly and Jake Fraley scored on a wild pitch to give LSU an 8-3 lead.

In the eighth, a double by Stevenson scored Hale from second and Stevenson scored from third on a sacrifice fly by Chinea that put LSU ahead, 10-3.

Hunter Devall, LSU's seventh pitcher of the evening, finished off the Mountain Hawks in the ninth.

Date: Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 3:12 PM
Subject: LSU 2, UNCW 0 - recap below
To:

LSU Baseball Report

For Immediate Release – June 1, 2015

POCHE’ PITCHES TOP-RANKED LSU TO NCAA REGIONAL TITLE

BATON ROUGE, La. -- Sophomore left-hander Jared Poche' nearly mirrored freshman Alex Lange's pitching gem with a six-hit, 2-0 shutout of UNC Wilmington on Monday afternoon to give the LSU baseball team its 21st NCAA Regional Championship.

Poche' (8-1) had a career-best eight strikeouts and finished off the Tigers' three-game sweep of the four-team, double-elimination regional at Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field that included several rain delays and schedule adjustments.

At 1:09 a.m. Sunday, tournament Most Outstanding Player, Lange, polished off a similar six-hit complete-game shutout of UNCW by the same score (2-0) to put the Tigers into Monday’s championship game.

LSU pitchers threw consecutive shutouts for the first time in the program's 190-game NCAA postseason history.

Following a two-out double in the top of the ninth by UNCW's Corey Dick, LSU's Parker Bugg relieved Poche' to get a strikeout of the potential game-tying run and earn his third save of the season.

LSU (51-10) will face Louisiana-Lafayette (42-21), which defeated Rice on Monday to win the Houston Regional, in a three-game NCAA Super Regional starting either Friday or Saturday at The Box.

Dates and game times will be announced late Monday or early Tuesday.

“First of all, I'd like to congratulate North Carolina‑Wilmington on a tremendous season,” said LSU coach Paul Mainieri. “They've got a classy group of kids and an outstanding coach in Mark (Scalf), and they have a good ball club. They were scary. They were a scary offensive lineup, and I think that just goes to show you just how great Lange was the other night and Jared was today. To shut that team down two games in a row between our pitching and our defense was really amazing to see.

“You know, we didn't knock the cover off the ball these last two games, but one of the things we preach to our players all the time is that ‑‑ to the position players who are both the offensive and defensive players, that if you don't have a great hitting day, you can still help your team win by making great plays on defense or drawing a clutch walk, stealing a base, whatever, and I think today was an example of that.

“I felt good,” Poche’ said. “About the fourth inning things kind of got out of whack. I got six balls in a row, and I’ve got to give a little bit of credit to (LSU catcher Kade) Scivicque. He kind of helped me out mechanically, and I was able to locate my fastball and curveball on both sides of the plate.

“I'd say I had good bite on my curveball, and I was able to locate it on both sides of the plate. I was able to get some swings and misses.”

The Tigers scored a pair of unearned runs in the bottom of the second inning off Seahawks starter Justin Crump (1-2). With two outs, Andrew Stevenson reached on a fielding error by Dick and advanced to second on a balk. Chris Chinea's double down the left field line scored Stevenson from second, and Chinea came home on a single by Jake Fraley.

Both LSU and UNCW left six on base, as the Tigers' pitching held the Seahawks to 1-for-25 batting with runners on base in its past two games.

Defensive gems by LSU shortstop Alex Bregman and Stevenson in right field helped Poche' keep a clean sheet.

NCAA Baton Rouge Regional All-Tournament Team
P - Alex Lange, LSU
P - Ryan Foster UNCW
C - Gavin Stupienski, UNCW
1B - Chris Chinea, LSU
2B - Mike Garzillo, Lehigh
3B - Conner Hale, LSU
SS - Stephen Alemais, Tulane
OF - Andrew Stevenson, LSU
OF - Richard Carthon, Tulane
OF - Zach Shields UNCW
DH - Luke Dunlap, UNCW
Most Outstanding Player - Alex Lange, LSU

---30---

Bill Franques

LSU Athletics

Baton Rouge, LA 70803

wfranqu@lsu.edu

--------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 9:24 PM
Subject: LSU 4, UL-LAFAYETTE 3 (box score attached; story below)
To:

LSU Baseball Report

For Immediate Release – June 6, 2015

SCIAMBRA’S WALK-OFF HOMER LIFTS TIGERS TO VICTORY OVER UL-LAFAYETTE

BATON ROUGE -- After Louisiana-Lafayette silenced a partially-drenched sell-out crowd at Alex Box Stadium with a solo homer in the ninth inning, LSU's Chris Sciambra answered with a walk-off shot of his own to give the Tigers a 4-3 victory over the Ragin' Cajuns on Saturday night.

LSU (52-10) managed only five hits, but Sciambra's third home run of the season along with Jake Fraley's two-run homer in the third inning were enough to hold off ULL (42-22). It was the Tigers’ first walk-off home run in NCAA play since Jon Zeringue beat UNC Wilmington in the NCAA Regional fional on June 1, 2003.

The Tigers and Cajuns will meet in game 2 on Sunday at 6 p.m. CT on ESPN2. Pregame on the LSU Sports Radio Network will begin at 5:30.

In the top of the ninth, ULL's Brenn Conrad hit his first collegiate home run in 57 career at bats off Alex Lange, who started for the Tigers and allowed three runs on 10 hits with 11 strikeouts and a walk. Lange left the game after one pitch in the frame with the game at 3-3.

With one out, Sciambra's line drive to right-center field landed about six rows above Conrad's home run in the right field bleachers.

“Well, first of all, Alex (Lange) kept us in that game,” Sciambra said. “We really made it way too tough on ourselves and on him to keep us in that game like that. Right whenever he gave up that swing in the top of the ninth I started focusing my attention on ‑‑ I knew I was going to get an at‑bat in the ninth inning. I stopped being a fan for a second and ready to cheer him on for a complete game and got my mind ready to go up there and hit.

“Honestly I had two not great swings to start the at‑bat, and I got a decent pitch to hit again - I missed my first one, and I got that one and I just put a good swing on it and it’s just an unbelievable feeling for me.”

“I'd like to compliment UL-Lafayette for the way they played tonight; they just played tremendous,” said LSU coach Paul Mainieri. “I told (ULL starting pitcher) Wyatt Marks after the game how much I thought he'd improved and he competed really hard. His stuff was good. Jake (Fraley) put a couple of good swings on him early in the game, and then he kind of settled in and didn't give us a lot of good pitches to hit, and when we did hit them, the third baseman (Joe) Robbins just made some unbelievable plays.

“The shoe was kind of on the other foot tonight, we got out‑hit just like they got out‑hit all weekend last weekend but found a way to win. This game they out‑hit us and somehow we found a way to win, and I think Chris said it right. Alex Lange just put the team on his shoulders tonight and gave us a real chance.”

The drama missing after LSU took a 3-0 lead to the top of the sixth inning turned up a notch when ULL touched Lange for single runs in the sixth inning and eighth.

In the sixth, the Cajuns ended the shutout with three singles off Lange including an RBI by Tyler Girouard with two outs. Lange ended the first-and-third threat by forcing a groundout.

In the eighth, a sudden rain shower wasn't deemed hard enough for the game to be halted, as ULL mounted a two-out rally against Lange with a single by Stefan Trosclair, a walk and an RBI double by Evan Powell that narrowed the margin to 3-2. Lange again put out the second-and-third threat by forcing another ground ball to Alex Bregman.

In the ninth, Lange was lifted after the game-tying home run in favor of Parker Bugg. Bugg (1-2) retired the next three batters in order to setup the walk-off drama.

With one out in the bottom of the ninth, Sciambra roped 2-2 pitch over the right-center field wall and half way up the bleachers. After rounding the bases, he tossed his batting helmet into the air, touched home plate in the middle of a mob of teammates. As he made his way toward away from the celebration, Sciambra's jersey and undershirt were pulled off by his teammates before he was lifted in celebration.

Despite its offensive struggles, the Tigers moved within a victory of a 17th trip to the College World Series.

Saturday's win was LSU's fifth in its postseason history with five or fewer hits, the most recent coming June 13, 2004, when the Tigers had five hits in a 4-0 win over Texas A&M in a Super Regional at The Box.

---30---

Todd C. Politz

Director of Digital Media

LSU Sports Properties

W (225) 578.8958

C (225) 772.6656

tpolitz@lsu.edu

LSU EARNS 17TH TRIP TO COLLEGE WORLD SERIES

BATON ROUGE -- With an NCAA Super Regional sweep, No. 2 national seed LSU (53-10) earned its 17th trip to the College World Series on Sunday, beating Louisiana-Lafayette, 6-3, at Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field.

After helping the Tigers advance to the Super Regional with a 2-0 blanking of UNC Wilmington Monday, LSU starter Jared Poche' (9-1) pitched another gem for the Tigers. He allowed only one run on five hits with a walk and seven strikeouts.

For its opening game in Omaha, the Tigers will face either No. 7-seed TCU or Texas A&M on Sunday at either 2 or 7 p.m. CT.

“This team deserves to go to Omaha,” said LSU coach Paul Mainieri. “They've played at a high level all year. We haven't lost two games in a row one time the entire season. Different aspects of our team have done the job, taken turns doing the job, and it's a very selfless team that plays well together. They genuinely like each other, and I couldn't be more proud of a team going to Omaha. That's where we belong, and we're looking forward to going up there.”

With 12 zeros posted to open the game, LSU catcher Kade Scivicque quite literally put the first run on the board in the top of the seventh with a no-doubt solo home run off the scoreboard in left field.

LSU led 1-0, as Poche' finished seven innings allowing only three hits of his own.

“It's definitely a dream for all these Louisiana boys that come and play at LSU,” said Poche’, a native of Lutcher, La. “I'm just kind of living in the moment right now and enjoying it.”

“Jared Poché is one of those pitchers that when you give him a lead, he shifts it into another gear,” Mainieri said. “There's an extra competitive juice running through his veins, and he gets that lead and he just smells the victory, and that's when he's at his best, and he's done that so many times in his career.

“Once we got that lead, I knew as long as he wasn't tired from the humidity, which it was awfully hot out there, listen, he was still throwing the ball hard. His curveball still had a lot of bite to it, and I thought he could even possibly finish, but I thought when we took him out, it was the right time.”

The Tigers offense knocked ULL starter Gunner Leger (6-5) out of the game with two outs in the eighth. Leger walked Danny Zardon to open the frame, and Saturday night's hero - Chris Sciambra - entered to pinch run following a standing ovation.

Sciambra moved to second on a balk when Leger stepped toward home plate on his pickoff attempt. Though Jared Foster wasn't able to get down a sacrifice bunt, Mark Laird singled and both runners moved up a base on a high chopper by Jake Fraley.

Bregman, who struggled to an 0-for-15 start in the NCAA Tournament, broke out of his slump by chopping an 0-1 pitch over Leger's head to score both Sciambra and Laird.

“It was unbelievable,” Bregman said. “The ‘Box’ was rocking after it. As soon as I hit it, I knew it was going to go to the middle, and I ended up just the same way I came in, base hit up the middle, RBI single, and what I wanted to do, not any other way.”

The Tigers led 3-0 when Leger headed to the dugout in favor of righthander Dylan Moore. With two outs, Bregman immediately stole second, moving into second place on LSU's single-season list with 37. After Scivicque walked, Conner Hale hit a bases-clearing triple into the right field corner to give LSU a 5-0 lead.

To open the home half of the eighth, ULL's Dylan Bulter doubled down the left field line and advanced to third on a single by Joe Robbins. With runners on first and third, Poche' coaxed a ground ball to Hale at third. However, Hale had to wait to make the throw and second baseman Grayson Byrd's relay to first was late, allowing Butler to cut the deficit to 5-1.

With two outs, Poche' was lifted for Russell Reynolds, who too was pulled after walking the only batter he faced. Lefty Zac Person earned the final out of the eighth.

LSU added an insurance run in the top of the ninth against ULL's Greg Milhorn. With one out, Sciambra walked, stole second and advanced to third on a pop-up by Byrd. Laird's single to right field drove in Sciambra to give LSU a 6-1 lead.

ULL scored twice off Person in the bottom of the ninth with an RBI triple by pinch hitter Kennon Fontenot and a sacrifice fly by Butler. However, a pop-up to LSU's Chris Chinea at first base sent the Tigers sprinting to the outfield for their own version of a dogpile.

---30---

ate: Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 5:18 PM
Subject: LSU 5, Cal State Fullerton 3 (box score attached; story below)
To:

LSU Baseball Report

For Immediate Release – June 16, 2015

LANGE LEADS LSU TO 5-3 COLLEGE WORLD SERIES WIN OVER CAL STATE FULLERTON

OMAHA, Neb. -- National Freshman Pitcher of the Year Alex Lange threw a complete game six-hitter and the Tigers' bats came alive for 13 hits, as the LSU baseball team eliminated Cal State Fullerton from the College World Series, 5-3, on Tuesday.

Lange, who became the third pitcher in LSU history to start a season 12-0, allowed three runs on four-straight hits in the first inning before recovering to complete a brilliant performance. After the first, he gave up only two hits while striking out 10. Aaron Nola (2013) and Lloyd Peever (1992) each reached a dozen wins without a loss at LSU.

“Obviously, the understatement of the day is that we're so happy to get a win finally at TD Ameritrade Ballpark,” said LSU coach Paul Mainieri. “Beautiful ballpark and a wonderful city. But it was like it was a ‘curse’ on the LSU Tigers for a couple of years. But great ballgame. Obviously the story of the game was Alex Lange, who has been just absolutely terrific all year. He just put the team on his shoulders after a rough first inning.

“I just think the true character of a player shows when they get knocked on the ground like he did in the first inning, and then he just regrouped, never lost his confidence, never lost his aggressiveness.”

“I wasn't really nervous or anything, or amped up,” Lange said. “I left a couple of pitches up and they do what good hitters do, they hit the ball. I took a step back and regrouped in the dugout and just really focused on what I needed to do to go out there and execute my pitches, just hit my spots where (pitching) Coach (Alan) Dunn and (catcher) Kade (Scivicque) calls them and leave it up to the defense. They've been great all year. Pitching with that defense behind me makes it real easy.”

LSU's high-powered offense broke a streak of four games without double figure hits and took its first lead of the 2015 CWS with a four-run top of the third inning.

Alex Bregman, batting leadoff for the first time this season, was 4-for-5 with singles in each of his first four at bats -- three of which started innings. Mark Laird, who batted eighth, was 3-for-4 while Kade Scivicque was 2-for-4 at the plate with two runs.

“It was great to see Bregman have a big game,” Mainieri said. “It was great to see Laird have a big game, and Kade has been so outstanding for us all year. We had 13 hits, unfortunately scored only five runs. We made it a little tougher on Alex (Lange) than it needed to be. We needed to take advantage of a few more opportunities that we did have, and we'll have to do better as we go forward if we want to continue to play.

“But we'll take the win. We're not going to critique too much of it today. We're just happy to win a game.”

LSU (54-11) returns to action on Thursday at 7 p.m. CT and will face the loser of Tuesday night's winner's bracket game between Vanderbilt and TCU. The game will be televised by ESPN and broadcast on the LSU Sports Radio Network beginning at 6:30 p.m.

In the bottom of the first inning, Lange gave up four straight hits for the first time in his college career. After a pop-up to start the frame, CSF's Tyler Stieb singled to center field and came home on a triple by Davi Olmedo-Barrera to put the Titans ahead, 1-0. Jerrod Bravo also singled up the middle to score Olmedo-Barrera, and Tanner Pinkston added another base hit to right to put LSU behind, 3-0.

The Tigers' big inning came in the top of the third when Bregman, Jake Fraley and Scivicque each singled to left off Titans starter Connor Seabold (5-4). Bregman scored on Scivicque's hit and Fraley came around to score on a single to right by Chris Sciambra that sent Seabold to the shower. A sacrifice fly off CSF reliever Miles Chambers by Andrew Stevenson scored Scivicque to tie the game at 3-3.

With two outs, Chris Chinea singled to put runners on first and second, then Laird lined a single through the right side. LSU took a 4-3 lead and never looked back behind Lange.

Chambers got into a groove until the seventh inning when Scivicque doubled to left-center field and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt by Conner Hale. Cal State Fullerton went to the bullpen, and LSU countered with pinch hitter Danny Zardon, who hit a sacrifice fly on the first pitch to give Lange another insurance run, 5-3.

---30---

Todd C. Politz

Director of Digital Media

LSU Sports Properties

W (225) 578.8958

C (225) 772.6656

tpolitz@lsu.edu

Date: Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 10:00 PM
Subject: TCU 8, LSU 4 (box score attached; story below)
To:

LSU Baseball Report

For Immediate Release – June 18, 2015

TCU POSTS 8-4 CWS WIN OVER LSU; SEC CHAMPION TIGERS COMPLETE SEASON WITH 54-12 MARK

OMAHA, Neb. -- After entering in a tie game in the fourth inning, TCU reliever Trey Teakell retired all 13 batters he faced to help eliminate the LSU baseball from the 2015 College World Series, 8-4, on Thursday night at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha.

LSU (54-12), champion of the Southeastern Conference, saw its season come to an end just short of the CWS "final four." The Tigers managed seven hits while TCU collected 10 off eight Tigers pitchers.

“Right now my feelings are just very, very sad for our players that gave so much and so much effort this year with the goal of winning a national championship, and we've come a little bit short,” said LSU coach Paul Mainieri. “In particular, it's going to be really difficult to say goodbye to a group of really wonderful kids that have played their last game for LSU. The tough thing about this business is you work so hard all year, really for the years leading up to this year. And you have hopes and aspirations, and then the finality of it is so quick and so cruel, really. You expect to be playing for the championship, and your team wins 54 games during the season and you win championships along the way, but the one you really want to win is so difficult.

“And tonight we just got outplayed. We got outplayed by a team that brought in a really good relief pitcher and he baffled us for five innings. We just didn't pitch quite well enough today. And they got a few big hits. We scratched and clawed and fought as hard as we could, but it was just not enough tonight. Because of that, our season comes to an end. But we've won a lot of games. We just couldn't win the last game of the year.”

Teakell (3-1) needed only 36 pitches to complete 4 1/3 perfect innings that put the Horned Frogs in a bracket final rematch against Vanderbilt on Friday. He entered with the game tied at 3-3 in the fourth inning and exited with two outs and no one on base in the eighth, leading 8-3.

LSU took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first innings against TCU starter Mitchell Traver. With one out, Jake Fraley drew a walk after an 11-pitch at bat, stole second and scored on a single through the right side by Kade Scivicque.

In the bottom of the second, the Horned Frogs responded with three runs off LSU starter Zac Person, who gave up singles to Evan Skoug and Dane Steinhagen before walking Derek Odell and then Keaton Jones with the bases loaded to tie the game, 1-1. After Hunter Newman entered relief of Person, Crain singled on the first pitch to drive in two runs and give TCU a 3-1 lead.

The Tigers came back in the next frame to tie the game at 3-3. Alex Bregman singled with one out and scored on a triple by Fraley, who then scored on a wild pitch by Traver.

Though Scivicque added another single, the Tigers were unable to drive home a go-ahead run off Traver.

After a walk in the top of the fourth, TCU went to Teakell in relief. He didn't allow a hit until he was lifted in the top of the eighth with two outs.

Meanwhile, the Horned Frogs added three more runs in the fifth when Austin Bain walked two of the first three batters in the inning. A double by Skoug scored Wanhanen to send Bain to the dugout. WithJake Godfrey on the mound, Steinhagen's single to right added two more runs to put the Horned Frogs ahead, 6-3.

TCU scored two runs in the seventh when Jesse Stallings walked Cody Jones to lead off the inning and Jeremie Fagnan added a bunt single. Jones came around to score on an RBI groundout by Skoug, and Steinhagen drove in Wanhanen for the Horned Frogs' final run.

Of LSU's five walks, four of the TCU runners scored.

LSU attempted to mound a rally with one out in the top of the ninth, as Chris Sciambra reached when TCU couldn't field a high pop-up in shallow left field. Andrew Stevenson hit a double inside the third base bag to cut the deficit to 8-4. A two-out single by Mark Laird and a stolen base put runners at second and third for Jared Foster, who struck out on three pitches from TCU reliever Preston Guillory.

---30---

Mills Dominates Keys And Brings Rocks Magic Number Down To One
Wilmington Hurler Turns In Second Consecutive Brilliant Outing

FREDERICK, MD – A brilliant effort from pitcher Alec Mills, plus one swing of the bat by Cody Stubbs, propelled Wilmington to a 2-0 win over the Frederick Keys and brought the Blue Rocks to the precipice of a first-half Carolina League Northern Division championship. Mills went 8.1 scoreless frames and then Luis Rico got the final two outs for the save. The Blue Crew’s magic number is down to one thanks to Thursday’s victory plus Lynchburg’s rainout at Myrtle Beach. Wilmington leads the Hillcats by 3.5 games with three contests remaining for the Rocks and four to go for Lynchburg. Frederick was eliminated from contention with the loss.

Mills turned in his second straight marvelous start. After keeping Salem off the board over eight scoreless innings, but taking a no-decision on Saturday, Mills went 8.1 frames without yielding a score on Thursday in Frederick. The Carolina League All-Star allowed just three hits, walked only one, fanned seven and got 23 of his 25 outs without allowing the ball out of the infield.

Wilmington jumped on Frederick starter Mikey O’Brien in the top of the first inning for a pair of runs. O’Brien retired the first two Rocks to bat, but Mauricio Ramos extended the frame by legging out an infield single. Cody Stubbs would be next, and he launched a homer over the right-field fence to give the Blue Crew a 2-0 lead. Frank Schwindel followed with a double, but O’Brien got out of the inning without further damage.

Logan Moon saved the game in the ninth. With two outs and a runner at first, Rico allowed a deep fly ball to right-centerfield. A homer would have tied the game and an extra-base hit would have put the tying run in scoring position, but Moon, who entered the game as a defensive replacement in the eighth, chased it down, crashing into the fence after making a brilliant contest-ending grab.

O’Brien took the loss despite allowing just the two runs in five frames. Neither team could manage much success with runners in scoring position. Wilmington went 0-for-6 with men at second and/or third base, while Frederick was hitless in eight tries with RISP.

The Blue Rocks and the Keys continue their four-game series on Friday as the Rocks look to clinch. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00 p.m., and fans can listen to the broadcast on 89.7 WGLS-FM. Wilmington returns home on June 25 for the start of a three-game series against Potomac. For tickets, call 302-888-BLUE, or visit www.bluerocks.com.

PEBBLES OF KNOWLEDGE:

Alec Mills turned in a career-long outing for the second time in as many starts. The right-hander went eight innings in a no-decision at Salem in his previous outing on Saturday, but went 8.1 frames en route to the win this time. Coming into the season, the fourth-year pro had never made it past seven frames in an outing. Only Jakob Junis has worked deeper into a game in 2015. Junis went nine frames, but took a no-decision against Winston-Salem on May 19. Mills has not allowed a run over his last 16.1 frames of work, the longest scoreless streak by any Blue Rock this season. The Carolina League All-Star ranks third in the circuit with a 2.34 ERA, and second with 75 strikeouts.

Frank Schwindel roped another double on Thursday. The Wilmington infielder now has 22 two-baggers this season. Schwindel had 32 doubles combined in 118 games all of last season. Thursday was only his 61st game of 2015. He went 1-for-3 overall though, and has just eight hits over his last 43 at bats. Schwindel does love hitting against the Keys, however. The New Jersey native is batting .340 with 10 two-baggers and eight RBIs in 13 games versus Frederick this year.

Cody Stubbs blasted his second home run of the season on Thursday night, accounting for the only two scores of the ballgame. A year ago, Stubbs played in 92 games for the Rocks, and led the team in 2014 with 10 long balls. He spent April and most of May of this season in extended spring training rehabbing from a hand injury, and since joining the Rocks, he has been raking. Through 18 games with Wilmington in 2015, Stubbs has hit safely in 15 of them. He even began his season with a team-high 11-game hitting streak, lasting from May 27 to June 10. Overall, the lefty is batting .343 with those two homers and 8 RBIs.

The Blue Rocks shrunk their magic number to clinch a first-half Carolina League Northern Division title to one with their victory on Thursday evening. One more victory, or one more loss by the Lynchburg Hillcats, would give the Blue Crew the first-half crown and the playoff berth that comes with it. The last time Wilmington claimed a first-half division title was back in 2006 as an affiliate of the Boston Red Sox. That team included future major leaguers such as Michael Bowden, Clay Buchholz, Jacoby Ellsbury, Tommy Hottovy, Jed Lowrie, Justin Masterson, Luis Mendoza, and Carlos Rosa. In the game that clinched the first-half for the Rocks that year, Wilmington sealed the deal on a bases-loaded hit by pitch in the bottom of the ninth, with Ellsbury scoring the game-winning run. The last time the Blue Crew won a first-half crown as an affiliate of the Kansas City Royals was back in 2002, when the Rocks won both halves.

THEY SAID IT:

Catcher Cam Gallagher:

“(Alec Mills) even looked better tonight (than his last time out). That last time, too, in Salem he was throwing everything for strikes, same thing for today. He was putting people away with two strikes. Everything he was throwing: off-speed, changeup, curveball, slider, everything he was getting ahead with. Once you get ahead with that, it’s pretty tough to hit off him.”

“(Cody Stubbs homerun) was big. I think we were pressing a little bit as a team, trying to clinch the first half. We had a meeting yesterday just trying to lay back and have fun. That was huge. It kind of took the weight off of our shoulders and let us relax and go back and have fun playing baseball like we have for all of the first half.”

“Yes (my heart dropped when Wynston Sawyer hit the final out). I thought it went over (the fence). It was kind of a weird play. (Logan) Moon was telling me that (Abraham Nunez) told him to come in ten steps about ten seconds before that pitch was thrown, but he’s a great outfielder and he got to it and made the catch.”

“It’s always big (to celebrate with a win). We kind of wanted to see what (Lynchburg) did tonight, obviously it’s a lot better celebrating after our win. Now they have to go out and sweep Myrtle Beach who is also in contention (for a first-half title), so they’re going to be trying to win their first half. We’ve just got to go out and play baseball and not look at it and take care of business the way we have.”

“(We like our chances). It’s definitely a lot better to be in our shoes than Lynchburg right now, but…we can’t lay back, we’ve just got to go out and play baseball. Not too much pressure, just go and have fun.”

Starting Pitcher Alec Mills:

“I felt good. I just established early and was able to elongate the game. I just filled up the strike zone and let them get themselves out.”

“Yes (working out of jams helps me later in the game). Sometimes you have to step off the mound and relax and go back to what you know how to do, versus trying to do too much. It definitely is a momentum-swing into the next inning.”

“You never have any idea what pitch count you’re at. Obviously, they’re going to restrict you a little bit, but I wanted (a complete game) really bad. It’s one of those things where (Luis) Rico came in and got the job done and I couldn’t be happier.”

“(My heart dropped with the ball off the bat of Sawyer) not because of the no-decision or a win. He put a good swing on it and Logan (Moon) made an unreal catch.”

“Anytime you want to clinch you want to clinch as early as you can but it’s one of those things where it’s nice that we can go handle our business and we don’t have to worry about what they’re doing.”

www.bluerocks.com

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT