ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Draft

Didnt see Pete Grasso Divsion 3 player of the year get drafted either, and I agree I though Glover would get drafted too

Anybody think Billy Sullivan gives it a go with the Phils? UD is a CAA contender every year, but the chance to pitch for the team you've grown up cheering for is a tough one to pass up.

CAA vs pro ball,,don't believe there is a choice

I disagree. It's probably a very difficult decision, unless the Phillies are offering him significantly more than the bonus pool limit of $100,000 for a 28th round pick. He could probably attend UD for 3 years for very little out-of-pocket money, become a much better prospect, and get drafted again in one of the top 10 rounds where the money is much bigger. He could also choose to go somewhere like Harford for one year and get drafted higher next year. IMO, the life of a college baseball player is a lot better than starting from scratch in the minor leagues.

Last edited:
I disagree. It's probably a very difficult decision, unless the Phillies are offering him significantly more than the bonus pool limit of $100,000 for a 28th round pick. He could probably attend UD for 3 years for very little out-of-pocket money, become a much better prospect, and get drafted again in one of the top 10 rounds where the money is much bigger. He could also choose to go somewhere like Harford for one year and get drafted higher next year. IMO, the life of a college baseball player is a lot better than starting from scratch in the minor leagues.
Anything over 125k would count against the Phillies pool amount. But, assuming they don't believe him to be the next Steve Carlton at this stage, his bonus is far more likely be in the 1k-15k range.

Last edited:
Anything over 125k would count against the Phillies pool amount. But, assuming they don't believe him to be the next Steve Carlton at this stage, his bonus is far more likely be in the 1k-15k range.
I don't claim to be an expert, but I think for a HS RHP in the 28th round it would be closer to $100K. Chump change for the club. I see the $1-15K bonuses more for the college seniors since they don't have any other baseball options. Here are some of the Phillies 2015 and 2016 signing bonuses.
http://philliesminorthoughts.com/draft/2015-draft/
http://philliesminorthoughts.com/draft/2016-draft/

Looks like Sullivan will attend UD.

__lilbill__.jpg

Caa comment meant as a compliment...he is force on the mound
Yes, good decision to go to UD. He should do well there. I get to as many UD games as my schedule allows. Look forward to watching him pitch in college

as a 28th round selection, his chances of getting anywhere above AA is slim to none. After his signing bonus, he'd be paid below the poverty level. Try living off that. If he goes to UD for 2 years and really performs then his stock goes up considerably. Otherwise, he languishes in the minors playing in front of 200 people in rookie ball and continually get passed over for more high priced draft choices.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/minor-league-baseball-players-lawsuit-mlb-mlbpa

Reactions: soccer07
as a 28th round selection, his chances of getting anywhere above AA is slim to none. After his signing bonus, he'd be paid below the poverty level. Try living off that. If he goes to UD for 2 years and really performs then his stock goes up considerably. Otherwise, he languishes in the minors playing in front of 200 people in rookie ball and continually get passed over for more high priced draft choices.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/minor-league-baseball-players-lawsuit-mlb-mlbpa
Agree. Get the education. That's his future.

The CAA is head and shoulders above UD's previous league...I believe it was called the America East.
As far as competing on a national level....it is tough but Coastal Carolina proved that a non power 5 East coast team can win it.

@Yaz
we always need qualified people to run our complicated equipment!!! (weed wackers)
$10 to start
No Health Insurance
No Dental
No Eye
No Annuity
No Pension!!
Ex Athletes a plus!!

see what I did there?

Is there money in minor league baseball? Wonder how rich guys like Derek Gibson are?
The only real money for minor leaguers is in their signing bonuses. As 2nd rounders in 2008 & 2012, Derrik Gibson and Jamie Jarmon received bonuses of $600,000 & $601,500, respectively. As far down as Sullivan was taken, life-changing bonus money is very hard to come by.

At the same time it is very common for teams to not only give a signing bonus but also agree to pay for college after their career is over. Going to college could be the right choice but also could be a horrible choice if he gets a bad injury

At the same time it is very common for teams to not only give a signing bonus but also agree to pay for college after their career is over. Going to college could be the right choice but also could be a horrible choice if he gets a bad injury
There are lots of strings attached to the MLB College Scholarship Plan. Most of the guys who get it never end up using their scholarship. It's also tough to go to college full time when you're broke, even with a scholarship. Also, the risk of a career ending injury for a pitcher in college is relatively low. The most common injury is probably a UCL tear, and odds of a full recovery are excellent. Most teams aren't afraid of Tommy John guys any more (unless it's their 2nd or 3rd). Shoulder problems can be a concern. But if you aren't signing for "life changing money", you're susceptible to those same injury risks in the minors. IMO, the college route is best unless you're a top pick, or unless the idea of going to one more year of school is just a total nightmare to you.

There are lots of strings attached to the MLB College Scholarship Plan. Most of the guys who get it never end up using their scholarship. It's also tough to go to college full time when you're broke, even with a scholarship. Also, the risk of a career ending injury for a pitcher in college is relatively low. The most common injury is probably a UCL tear, and odds of a full recovery are excellent. Most teams aren't afraid of Tommy John guys any more (unless it's
Plus I believe college pays for surgery . Not sure if the pro team would pay for surgery?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT