ADVERTISEMENT

Most Intriguing First Round Games - and Predictions

May 14, 2009
Now that the tournament seeds have been set in stone, among the first round of match-ups, which games are the most intriguing?

#12 CR vs. #5 DMA (Winner playing #4 Friends)
#11 Charter vs. #6 Archmere (Winner playing #3 Tower Hill)
#10 Concord vs. #7 Mount Pleasant (Winner playing #2 Cape Henlopen)
#9 Tatnall vs. #8 Polytech (Winner playing #1 Sallies)

My predictions are as follow:

CR and DMA will be a close game until halftime. CR's team depth and midfield play will show in the second half, where they pull away from DMA and win.

Charter and Archmere will be a very competitive game, but the discipline and support of Archmere's offense and defense will be too much to overcome. Archmere wins.

Concord and Mount Pleasant looks to be the most evenly matched first round game. These two teams appear to be very evenly matched. The past two seasons they have both gone 1-1 against each other, with Concord winning by 1 last year, and Mount winning in overtime this past Thursday. However, I believe this game comes down to goalie play. And for this factor, I have Mount Pleasant coming out the victor.

Tatnall vs. Polytech. Polytech is a very well discplined team on the defensive side. Their goalie is exceptionally good. However, Tatnall has ended the regular season hot, with a win over Tower Hill. Look for a big time statement win from Tatnall.

These are my predictions from what I have observed from a very up and down lacrosse season in Delaware. I do not forsee any of the first round winners making it through the second round however. What do you all think? If you all have something else in mind to any of the above mentioned, please feel free to help me account for anything I have overlooked.

i agree with every prediction you made except for the DMA CR game, i think that CR will blow DMA out and people will be leaving by the end of the 3rd quarter

Obviously you're wrong and the DMA vs CR predicition is utterly wrong,DMA is a team that has recieved great amounts of uneccesary garbage talk, they are not a garbage team and they have the upper hand against CR, you and your little hater friends need to relax and wait until the game, you'll learn a lesson after DMA wins.

Hopefully that comment was not pointed in my direction. If it was, in no sense was I attempting to degrade DMA. Coach Madison has turned that program around in just a few years. The team plays very disciplined defense, however, in a match-up with CR, and any other big program, depth is the ultimate factor. I think DMA plays solid disciplined defense, but I'm questioning the offensive fire-power if CR decides to shut off their #1 attackmen.

I would love to read that DMA beat CR in the paper, don't get me wrong. But anyways, if you are affiliated with DMA in any way, goodluck on Wednesday

cr over dma hands down. i think the charter vs archmere game is going to be the best of the first round games, i think it'll be a 2 goal difference either way.

cr and tatnall seem to be clear favorites. i will concede that i have not seen dma play before. i have never seen mount or concord either. tatnall is at worst the 5th best team in the tourney. of the seeds 1-4 sallies looks like they will play the best team to come out of the first round.

Correct me if I'm wrong but CR and DMA played one common opponent, Archmere, and both lost by 5 goals. Did not see DMA play but witnessed the beating CR took at Tower Hill. I would think CR's experience playing faster and more skilled opponents during the year would better prepare them for the tournament. I would not be surprised in the least if DMA won but predict CR will win a close one.

The seeds are set in stone, but are the brackets? If #12 CR defeats #5 DMA, wouldn't they be playing #1 Sals in the 2nd rnd? Isn't that how playoff brackets work? Highest seeds matched against the lowest?

man dat dma Archmere game was a blowout till Archmere put in the youngins. Thats when dma scored 6 goals to come within 5. While C.R and Archmere battled all game seeing no scrub time. DMA has beatn the lil sisters of the poor all year with not one real win and made the tourny over teams who are better and would beat the brakes off DMA. With that said thats why we play the game and on any given day you can win so DMA has a shot but they are all playing for second place LOL GO CAPE

My two cents....

Mount v Concord.
Concord gets the win. Close game losing in OT will push them to add just a bit more effort.

Archmere v Charter.
Gonna be the best game. Archmere's keeper is a stud. Charter's D is sick. Low scoring game, 7-5 Charter.

Polytech v Tatnall.
Tatnall too strong, playing too well.

DMA v CR.
Don't know that I'm on the DMA hater wagon but, CR has two real good players that I think take over the game. CR wins by 5.

Maybe I'm wrong but I hope not!
This post was edited on 5/18 12:48 PM by Relaxer

this argument seriously wants to make me drive over to dma right now and make a large bet with one these dma kids. you played one even remotely decent team and lost by 5. i appluad you on a great season but stop it honestly. the second best team you played was hodgson and im pretty sure sallies frosh played them and made a game out of it. just stop. not a hater just wait till you play one of the elite teams in the state before you run you mouth.

I said it earlier - CR is the perfect test for DMA

DMA lost to Archmere by 5 - yes, Archmere had a big lead and then let in some soft goals, but Archmere had a few easy ones too. The 13-8 score was a rough approximation of how the game went. They have solid wins against McKean, Hodgson and Mount Pleasant - not powerhouses, but teams that had good years.

CR played a tough schedule, but finished just 2-6 against tourney teams, and had what looks like a very puzzling loss to Dover (didn't see it - no idea what happened). Dover looks to be on the Hodgson-Concord- Mount Pleasant level outside of their win over CR.

Having seen both teams, I would favor CR, but DMA has a legitimate chance to knock them off.

archmere didnt let in some soft goals, they put in their bench. Theres a big difference. Cr may have gone 2-6 against tournament teams, but it is going to be a huge advantage for them just playing 8 teams that are in. I still say CR wax's dma.

Originally posted by baller1030:
this argument seriously wants to make me drive over to dma right now and make a large bet with one these dma kids. you played one even remotely decent team and lost by 5. i appluad you on a great season but stop it honestly. the second best team you played was hodgson and im pretty sure sallies frosh played them and made a game out of it. just stop. not a hater just wait till you play one of the elite teams in the state before you run you mouth.

Since when is Archmere a "remotely decent team"? The only teams they lost to were Sallies and Tower Hill, with wins against Friends, St Marks, Tatnall, CR, and St Andrews. They are legitimately ranked as the #4 team in the state, but the point system put them at the 6 seed.

I dont think anyone has noticed this, but I am pretty sure that Archmere was coming off of spring break before the DMA game...just sayin

The reason people are hating on DMA so hard is because #1) They came on the website and started talking themselves up and #2) they nearly got the bye. DMA supporters: your team deserved to get into the playoffs, but getting the bye with that schedule was ridiculous. That is why DEpreps has blown up with all of this DMA hate...it is not all unwarranted.
This post was edited on 5/18 6:27 PM by laxbro7

with all this talk of dma, how stupid are you all gona look when they lose to cr first round

archmere is a good team but also has alot of cupcake games because of the schedual they are in like delmarva and wilmington christian.

archmere is on the same level as sallies th cape as i see it. i see them with friends cr tat and charter.

Ceasar Rodney @ DMA CR 16-8
Charter @ Archmere Charter 11-8
Tatnall @ Polytech Tatnall 14-5
Concord @ Mount Mount 8-7

This generation just uses words at the wrong time like gangsta and hater. What they consider "Gangasta" just happens to be some of the dumbest crimes committed nothing gangsta about stupidity. The post about DMA are not hating it is explaining the obvious. THEY PLAYED NO ONE not hating just explaining. Second you only hate the good teams, the ones who have CHIPS hard to hate the underdog GO CAPE

Since this has all been about DMA and trying to throw some reality into the conversation, it will all be answered by around 8:00 PM tonight.

Then all the talk about them not being for real will be answered and we can all say "see I told you so" or we can start on why they won't beat Friends.

I think the prior.

the charter vs archmere game looks like its going to be the best of the first round, but ill go to the dma game just to see what happens its killing me.

I agree that Archmere and Charter offer the most interesting match up. I saw a few Charter games but they were all blow out victories so it is hard for me to rate them. Like wise I attended Archmere's beating at the hands of Tower Hill. Looking at common opponents though, Charter was 1-3 while Archmere was 3-1. Against tournament teams Charter was 2-3 while the Auks were 4-2. Based on that I will predict a close victory, a one or two goal margin for the Auks.

Looks like Tatnall and Archmere have advanced. Any other score updates? Did anybody attend the games. It looks like the Tatnall win was not as lopsided as everyone thought it would be.

Archmere 8 Charter 5 - defensive struggle for the first 3 Quarters (3-2 Archmere). Archmere goalie played another great game - #2 and #3 on Archmere offense outscored #11 on Charter offense in the 4Q.

I was at the Mount Concord game. Concord won 9-3 I think. It was never close, Concord isn't a great team and Mount shouldn't be in the playoffs.

Really guy, don't take it so personal. There is not a team in the state that does not have kids that work hard. Mount didn't invest hard work and commitment. Most of the elite teams have a large percentage of players working year round, on their own, at there own expense. They have seen the kind of play that is really out there in teams from Long Island,
Jersey, PA and Maryland. The calibre of play there even at the lowest level would embarrass most teams in the state.

Truth is the team is not good. Its not an attack on your mom or your puppy. Its just a statement of fact. You claim it was an off day. Seriously, on your best day you would not beat anyone of the other teams in the Playoffs and there are at least 3 other teams not in the playoffs that would spank you too. Be happy you got in. Go work hard and maybe learn some humility.

The best smack talk is made by plays on the field and biscuits in the basket. You earn respect through actions, not words.

Ty27, I know you're not the AD for mount, but the reason everyone isn't happy is because of the quality of your schedule. Yes, you play in the Blue Hen Conference, and flight B is terrible. But that's only 6 required games right there. That leaves the other 9 games to be played out of conference. Yes, your school did schedule Polytech and DMA, but your team lost both of those games. You did schedule concord and brandywine, both flight a teams, and therefore considered out of conference, and lost to Brandywine and beat Concord in OT. We understand your conference wasn't that great, but what about a team like Charter? They're in Blue Hen, and granted they lost yesterday, but they had schedule Friends, Tatnall, Tower Hill, Caesar Rodney, and St. Marks. The thing is, you had an opportunity to be tested by potentially scheduling those consistantely upper-tier teams, and really testing yourselves, but you didn't. This is the entire problem with the Blue Hen conferences, and DE Diamond conferences. There are those 3 or 4 teams that are competitive, and then there are a bunch of teams in those conferences who aren't, and the teams have to play most of their games against those lower-tier teams.

ADVERTISEMENT