ADVERTISEMENT

Non-Public Schools Should Be D1

taway

Towel boy
Dec 14, 2017
Division classifications in the state are based on enrollment, which for public schools is directly related to geographic boundaries. From that area a certain number of students 'must' go to that school, with some exceptions. A (public) school's possible athletic participants are therefore easy to calculate and schools can easily be grouped together for competition because they are all subject to the same formula - total enrollment from which one can reasonably derive expected athletic participation.

Then we have non-public schools whose enrollment is not tied to geographic boundaries and which students attend for different reasons.

Public school athletics draw from a pool of students who must attend (with some exceptions) that school. Private schools may have a pool of students that may contain proportionally many more athletes since some attend just for a particular sport. This means that non-public schools are operating with an inherently different enrollment formula for athletics.

A 1,200 student public school, with set boundaries, can expect to have a certain number of wrestlers, let's put that number at 50. A 500 student public school can reasonably expect to have a certain number of students interested in wrestling, let's put that number at 25. This is the calculus that DIAA uses to calculate division placements, a simple formula that assumes, mistakenly, that expected participation for private schools is directly related to enrollment. I say mistakenly since a 500 student private school that is able to actively recruit wrestlers, unbound by geographic limitations, will have a significantly larger number of students interested in wrestling.

Private schools to D1.

P.S. School choice breaks the formula too.

Reactions: 2StChampDad
Division classifications in the state are based on enrollment, which for public schools is directly related to geographic boundaries. From that area a certain number of students 'must' go to that school, with some exceptions. A (public) school's possible athletic participants are therefore easy to calculate and schools can easily be grouped together for competition because they are all subject to the same formula - total enrollment from which one can reasonably derive expected athletic participation.

Then we have non-public schools whose enrollment is not tied to geographic boundaries and which students attend for different reasons.

Public school athletics draw from a pool of students who must attend (with some exceptions) that school. Private schools may have a pool of students that may contain proportionally many more athletes since some attend just for a particular sport. This means that non-public schools are operating with an inherently different enrollment formula for athletics.

A 1,200 student public school, with set boundaries, can expect to have a certain number of wrestlers, let's put that number at 50. A 500 student public school can reasonably expect to have a certain number of students interested in wrestling, let's put that number at 25. This is the calculus that DIAA uses to calculate division placements, a simple formula that assumes, mistakenly, that expected participation for private schools is directly related to enrollment. I say mistakenly since a 500 student private school that is able to actively recruit wrestlers, unbound by geographic limitations, will have a significantly larger number of students interested in wrestling.

Private schools to D1.

P.S. School choice breaks the formula too.
Are you out of your mind
First, most of the private schools have a tuition of around $30,000.00 a year.most family’s can not afford to go there. They don't give scholarships for athletics.
Most Private schools can not fill a line and up giving up many forfiets.
Sanford about 6
Tatnall about 6
Friends About 4
Archmere about 3
St Marks about 6
even Caravel has 2 or 3
All have small enrollments.
So out side of Sallies where do get private schools to D-1

Last edited:
Are you out of your mind
First, most of the private schools have a tuition of around $30,000.00 a year.most family’s can not afford to go there.

Immaterial to my post.

They don't give scholarships for athletics.

Also immaterial to my post.

Most Private schools can not fill a line and up giving up many forfiets.
Sanford about 6
Tatnall about 6
Friends About 4
Archmere about 3
St Marks about 6
even Caravel has 2 or 3

I'm curious how Caravel shut out McKean while giving up forfeits.

All have small enrollments.
So out side of Sallies where do get private schools to D-1

What I am saying is that private schools, not limited to a geographic boundary, do not follow the same formula as public schools when determining likely number of athletes. This invalidates the division assignment formula.

Private school student athletes deal with a more rigorous academic responsibility. They are held to higher academic standards than the public schools to be eligible for athletics. Also enrollment at almost all private schools are way less than the publics. How are you getting that private schools field their teams with more athletes? Especially wrestling

I get the geographical limitation argument But Delaware is an open choice state and you can find a kid in public school That is out of his or her feeder pattern

Reactions: spartakos
Immaterial to my post.

Also immaterial to my post.

I'm curious how Caravel shut out McKean while giving up forfeits.

What I am saying is that private schools, not limited to a geographic boundary, do not follow the same formula as public schools when determining likely number of athletes. This invalidates the division assignment formula.[/QUOTE
So I'm trying to understand all of your points. Are you saying all private schools in De. should have to play a D1 schedule both boys and girls in every sport?Sallies
plays a national schedule in lax . As mentioned earlier St. Marks was nationally in wrestling in the 90's. I don't see the better up State teams in any sport ducking D1 teams ?

I'm trying to follow the logic. Are you saying that all private schools in Delaware should play a D1 schedule,both boys and girls,in all sports or just the ones they are good in?

If you’re looking a Caravel as a Powerhouse there are flows with up years and down years. Two years ago they had a down year. But with great coaching and a strong middle school program they have put their team as one of the best. Other private schools don’t have a middle school program or a club to feed. Also with having kids come from different areas they have a hard time getting together to practice outside school practices living sometimes over 30 miles away.
Also if you put all private schools in D1 what will school like Wilmington Christian,Tatnall Sanford,St. Andrews do with no chance of winning a match

If you’re looking a Caravel as a Powerhouse there are flows with up years and down years. Two years ago they had a down year. But with great coaching and a strong middle school program they have put their team as one of the best. Other private schools don’t have a middle school program or a club to feed. Also with having kids come from different areas they have a hard time getting together to practice outside school practices living sometimes over 30 miles away.
Also if you put all private schools in D1 what will school like Wilmington Christian,Tatnall Sanford,St. Andrews do with no chance of winning a match
I agree with you totally and didn’t understand taway’s point? Maybe it’s directed at wrestling only. If Caravel is the example who else could they have put on the schedule inD1 wrestling? Sallies plays a National Schedule in lacrosse, I don’t get his point?

Is this the twisted logic of someone butt-hurt by Caravel dominating D2 in wrestling this year? Asking for a friend...

Reactions: BackinBlack86
I would guess because in some sports size of school and # of students wouldn’t factor into the overall competitiveness like in basketball. Or perhaps a sport that makes cuts...but idk- that’s a good question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT