ADVERTISEMENT

Nostalgia

Downstatecredit

D1AA Prospect
Aug 21, 2004
Man, it's been a while.

With that being said, a few years back (maybe 10) I recall someone posting about Bryce Harper. His or her child had attended something along the lines of a national AAU banquet for awards, recognition, etc. He or she also stated that Harper was for lack of a better term, a jackass. Very full of himself, and also sort of giving himself the celebrity status he hadn't yet earned.

At the time, I applauded the groans, the head shaking, and the plain old hatred of a young kid who simply knew what he was. (Or at least could be)

Also, at the time, I thought to myself, man I hope this kid is the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf.

It took me some time to realize how selfish I, as well as anyone else in that thread was being.

The person who lead that thread obviously had a son who had achieved in the sport of baseball to one of the highest levels at the time. To me, and anyone else that washed out post high school from the greatest game on earth, I'd be happy just to be in the room. This, however, was not the case for them. They say jealousy is an ugly trait.

Now of course Harper is doing things with a bat that are Barry Bonds (juiced) esque numbers while I'm writing this. And it's easy to like a favorite. But I think it's important to realize that he is and likely will be all that he said he would be. The hype was real, and although he may have acted quite immaturely in his younger years (22 is old now I suppose) no one hates Lebron, or MJ. All of the greats have a mean streak and a bit of swagger in them. It comes with the territory.

I think my point is that Harper won't be forgotten, and none of him should be. The glitz, the glamour, the flash, all of it is what makes him great. I'm just happy to be able to watch him play this game at the level he is right now. Watching 4 at bats a game hasn't been this exciting since Sosa/McGuire.

Reactions: 1avidfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT