ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma HS FB Controversy / Vert

Chesdel

D1AA Prospect
Oct 3, 2003
Vert...this looks like a sad case of officiating. When get into the story there should be internal links with more information.
The short story is that Douglass loses the game when it appears they scored the winning TD with a minute left.

An apparent late flag by an official eliminated the play because of a sideline violation. I don't know the rule but the argument is that the penalty should have been assessed on the kick off and not eliminated the TD.

There apparently is some history in the story..

This has become a political controversy in Oklahoma.
This post was edited on 12/1 10:16 AM by Chesdel

Oklahoma HS 3A Semis

Ches .. as a wingman, myself, I can understand why he threw the flag because of the coach being literally next to him running down the sideline. But, let's face facts, when does the coaching staff not do that. It seems in the clip that the official goes untouched, so therefore, he shouldn't have a call and if for some reason, he was touched, then the flag is warranted. Wih that being said, a game of that magnitude .. you have to have marbles the size of the Grand Canyon to make that call ..

It looks like the Oklahoma equivalent of the DIAA board will make a decision on Wednesday afternoon about replaying the last minute of the game. If you read Jawnsky's link you will see that the refs should have allowed the TD and assessed the penalty on the kick off. The athletic board has admitted that there was an error and has punished the officials.

Unbelievable. Frankly, I didn't know the rule but the officials should have.

http://m.koco.com/high-school-playbook/douglass-trojans-want-replay-of-end-of-playoff-game-after-controversial-call/29998058

Grid, maybe I am misinterpreting the situation. If BT was still active on the board he would surely correct me if I was off track. Is the issue the judgement of the officials or a misapplication of the penalty? Either way, I feel bad for the Douglass team.

Reading several articles and talking head videos, it seems that a bench warning had been given earlier so a violation was warranted. The problem is that the TD should have stood and a penalty walked off on the extra pt or ensuing kick-off. The person on the field running along side the official turns out to be the ball boy getting down field to exchange balls. But even if the call was on the ball boy or the exuberant sideline (coaches, players), the TD shouldn't have been taken off the board. If they do the one minute business, I don't think they will start after the TD but replay that down. IMO, if play continues, it would start with the point after attempt and then see if the other team can score after kick off. I doubt there will be a satisfactory resolution to this "cluster...". This doesn't not fall under the "calls are made on both sides throughout the game and judgement is judgement" category. A TD was scored and incorrectly removed. This seems like an easy correction if those in position really wanted to do the fair thing. It would have taken a Big Set for the opposing coach to speak up and not accept a tainted victory. It's not for certain Douglass would have won but the TD should stand and the remainder played out.

Ches .. the call is completely at the officials discretion. Now with that being said, since he's already given them a sideline warning, the next flag is in fact a 5yd penalty. Since its a live ball foul that resulted in a touchdown, by rule it negates the score and backs them by 5yds and the down is replayed. So, by rule, it was enforced correctly.

This post was edited on 12/1 9:58 PM by gridknowledge

@grid...from TulsaWorld.com...
"A flag for a sideline violation was thrown during the Trojans' 58-yard touchdown pass from Patrick McKaufman to Quasean Sims. That would have given Douglass a 25-20 lead.

It was Douglass' second violation of the game of that particular rule. National Federation regulations call for a dead-ball foul and 5-yard penalty to be applied on the extra point or kickoff. But the officials penalized the Trojans from the previous spot and erased the play.

"This error by the officials is inexcusable at this level and the results are extremely unfortunate for the players, coaches and fans involved," OSSAA director of officials Mike Whaley said in a news release. "A reprimand of the crew will be filed and the crew has been removed from further OSSAA playoff consideration."

People seem to be making this way more confusing than it is.

Penalty was correctly called, but incorrectly applied. TD should have stood as called, with the 5 yard penalty being enforced on the try or the kickoff.

Youjustme ..I just looked that up in my rule book and you are exactly right. It's one of those pleats where you only ever make it a scenario instead of something that happens on the field. I stand corrected.

Originally posted by gridknowledge:
Youjustme ..I just looked that up in my rule book and you are exactly right. It's one of those pleats where you only ever make it a scenario instead of something that happens on the field. I stand corrected.

.....and that is why the Oklahoma's DIAA equivalent can rule that the teams have to redo the last minute and count the TD. We shall see...I am old but I don't recall anything like this before......

It's very seldom that a states (DIAA) will a protest, especially of that magnitude. But I must say, I applaud them for standing corrected and trying to figure how to fix it .. and also getting that crew off of the playoff field for a while. In the words of Vert, the best games we work are when we get the comment, " I didn't even know the officials were on the field". You never want to make the game about yourself or the crew ..

It looks like the misapplied penalty will stand and the game is over as Oklahoma's DIAA has rejected an appeal to replay the last minute of the Douglass-Locust Grove game.
Who knows? Maybe it will go to court.

I believe DE's last court involvement in a HS tournament was Glasgow in 2006? That suit was brought about by students and parents and not the district.

Douglass Loses Appeal

This was on the front page of the NY Times today. I believe it says there is a court action tomorrow. I am not sure if a judge will actually rule one way or another. Unreal.

NY Times

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT