ADVERTISEMENT

Patriots Football (not New England)

Yunforce

JV stand out
Jun 1, 2018
I just saw on the interweb that Newark Charter will now be fielding a football team. Going to do more damage to the teams from Christina and Red Clay Districts. Maybe this is where Billy D or Mikey Ryan get back into the head coaching ranks. Maybe Zeb Blum? The school is K-12, so possibly youth football to feed right into the high school system. Will the adjacent neighborhood let them play FNL?

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
I can't see them being any kind of threat.. No more than Wilmington Charter is or Pencader was. It's not like they are any good in any other sport.. Will be just another crappy 1A football team

I just saw on the interweb that Newark Charter will now be fielding a football team. Going to do more damage to the teams from Christina and Red Clay Districts. Maybe this is where Billy D or Mikey Ryan get back into the head coaching ranks. Maybe Zeb Blum? The school is K-12, so possibly youth football to feed right into the high school system. Will the adjacent neighborhood let them play FNL?
My guess is it will be Dave Fulton . The DC from Middletown who was let go after being made the scapegoat from Coach Blum after the season. He is a teacher at Newark Charter. He was heavily recruited by schools to join a staff this year but took time away.

Reactions: MTownCavs09
They have a strict lottery system to get into the school. They do give sibling preference and 5 mile radius gets preference over families outside of the 5 mile radius.

My question is this: how are they going to finesse getting middle school dogs from other schools enrolled into the high school? Or do they just roll with what they already have enrolled?

My guess is it will be Dave Fulton . The DC from Middletown who was let go after being made the scapegoat from Coach Blum after the season. He is a teacher at Newark Charter. He was heavily recruited by schools to join a staff this year but took time away.
Fulton is at MOT charter...

Reactions: DEfootballFan6
While people are making predictions by year 5:
Newark Charter will be a D2 Playoff team.
St. Marks will return to D2 because they will lose a lot of kids to NC as will Red Lion and Caravel.

While people are making predictions by year 5:
Newark Charter will be a D2 Playoff team.
St. Marks will return to D2 because they will lose a lot of kids to NC as will Red Lion and Caravel.
Only if Newark Charter changes its admission criteria to go beyond the 5-mile radius to admit students. And half of that is in Maryland. According to NCS, there are more than 3600 students on the waiting list for K-12. Those families must reapply every year for the lottery. It would be, um, something, if all of a sudden football players suddenly started hitting the lottery AND lived outside that radius.

NCS does have some decent athletics as volleyball is very competitive, FH is the number one seed for d2, swimming has champs over the last several years, wrestling has placed some guys and soccer for both has been on the rise. That being said, NCS also finishes in the top three for state testing scores. Like CSW, they will have teams that compete and some that don't but they will not sacrifice the academic rep to grow some sports. CA and RL will not lose great athletes to NCS. Likewise, NCS, CSW and the private schools, well those with a backbone, will not get caught up in the musical chairs of athletes bouncing around looking for the best deal or athletes returning "home".

Reactions: Dadof3smartkids
Over the past couple of years, there have been a few All State players and quite a few all district/conference players that have left NCS because they didn't have football. Those players will stay there and I am sure they will add some others. I know for a fact the schools I mentioned earlier have benefitted from NCS not having football.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Foghorn
Over the past couple of years, there have been a few All State players and quite a few all district/conference players that have left NCS because they didn't have football. Those players will stay there and I am sure they will some others. I know for a fact the schools I mentioned earlier have benefitted from NCS not having football.

My son went there and we pulled him out for this exact reason and I know of another young man who went and was my son's friend who is now at a different school who is also a very good athlete at his new school. While we were still there, I had a conversation with a friend of mine who coaches a different boys' sport there and he told me they lose very good athletes every year because they didn't have a football team. That was 4 years ago, so it's been going on for a while.

Reactions: SCash
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT