ADVERTISEMENT

PLAYOFF POINTS updated May 21

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
Today is the final day for playing. It will interesting if the final remaining games aren't played. Most teams in the hunt are waiting for potential bonus pts from Mtown, Poly or Charter. This is as of right now!!

1. 4.00 St Marks (16-2) 72 points - NO MORE POINTS
2. 3.67 Archmere (16-2) 66 pts - 2 bonus pts remaining (mtown & poly) CAN"T GET BOTH
3. 3.56 Caravel (14-2) 57 pts - 1 bonus pt (charter)
4. 3.29 Hodgson (12-5) 56 pts - 1 gm remains and 2 bonus pts Mtown & Charter
5. 3.28 Smyrna (14-4) 59 pts - 1 pt remains (Poly)
6. 3.28 A.I. (13-5) 59 pts - 2 pts remain (Chart & Mtown)
7. 3.17 Sallies (12-6) 57 pts - 1 pt remains (Chart)
8. 3.17 Mt P (14-4) 57 pts NO MORE POINTS
9. 3.11 CR (13-5) 56 pts - 2 pts remain (Poly, Mtown) Cant get both
10. 3.06 Dover (14-4) 55 pts - 2 pts remain (Chart & Poly)
11. 3.06 Sus Tech (13-5) 55 pts - 1 pt (Poly)
12. 3.00 St Georges (13-5) 54 pts 2 pts (Chart, Mtown)
13. 2.94 Sus Centrl (11-7) 53 pts 1 pt remains (Poly)
14. 2.94 Conrad (12-6) 53 pts 1 pt remains (mtown)
15. 2.72 Tower Hill (12-6) 49 pts 1 pt remains (Chart) AUTO BID
16. 2.61 Delmar (11-7) 47 pts 1 pt remains (Poly) AUTO BID

Currently OUT
17. 2.83 Tatnall (11-7) 51 pts NO MORE POINTS
18. 2.82 Polytech (11-6) 48 pts - 1 gm remains with Mtown and 2 bonus pts (Charter & Mtown)
19. 2.78 DMA (12-6) 50 pts - 3 pts remain (Chart, Poly, Mtown) cant get all three
20. 2.78 Concord (11-7) 50 pts - 2 pts remain (Chart, Mtown)
21. 2.61 Newark (11-7) 47 pts - 3 pts remain (mtown played twice and Charter)
22. 2.61 Appo (9-9) 47 pts - 2 pts remain (Mtown and Charter)
23. 2.61 Sanford (13-5) 47 pts - NO MORE POINTS
24. 2.59 Charter (8-9) 44 pts - 1 gm remains with Hodgson and 4 bonus pts (2 hodgson, mtown & Poly)
25. 2.59 Mtown (8.9) 44 pts - 1 gm remains with Poly and 3 bonus pts (2 poly and 1 charter)

A couple of points:

If the games tonight are not played, the above would stand (assuming i am accurate).

Delmar and Tower Hill must have a higher pts index than 50% of all 48 teams in the state or they don't get their auto bid. Currently both do and if the games tonight ARE NOT Played, both Delmar and Tower HIll will get their auto bids. BUT, if the games tonight are played and Charter and Mtown both win, Delmar looks to be tied with Sanford for the 24th spot. Which means if Delmar loses the tie breaker with Sanford, Sanford would be the #24 team and Delmar be the 25th ranked team and would be out of the playoffs.

Aside from Delmar not making it from the 50% rule, i think the 1 through 16 above teams are all FINAL, it would just be a matter of exact seeding. But if Delmar is out, i believe Polytech, DMA & Concord would be in play for the final spot and potentially there could be a three way tie at 52.

Let me know if i missed something.

Just to be clear, this is not official. This is just how i see it. I have gathered all the information and hand calculated all this and the scenerios.

This post was edited on 5/21 12:28 PM by oldskool42

Originally posted by oldskool42:
Looks like the weather is going to hold.
More cyphering for you tonight.
smile.r191677.gif

Anyone know when the official announcement will be made?

Teams will probably know by the evening, it likely won't get released to the media until tomorrow morning.

Middletown 7
Polytech 4

Polytech loses the last 2 games of the year at home, now the fun begins.....

Just a guess...

1) St.Mark's
2) Archmere
3) Caravel
4) Hodgson
5) AI DuPont
6) Smyrna
7) Salesianum
8) Mt Pleasant
9) Caesar Rodney
10) Dover
11) St. George's
12) Sussex Tech
13) Conrad
14) Sussex Central
15) DMA
16) Tower Hill

This post was edited on 5/21 8:01 PM by skipsternicole

1. St. Mark's
16. Delmar

8. Mt. Pleasant
9. CR

4. HVT
13. Conrad

5. A.I.
12. Sussex Tech

2. Archmere
15. Tower Hill

7. Sallies
10. Dover

3. Caravel
14. Sussex Central

6. Smyrna
11. St. Georges

This post was edited on 5/21 8:33 PM by CountianJeff

This post was edited on 5/22 2:49 AM by CountianJeff

Originally posted by CountianJeff:
1. St. Mark's
16. Delmar

8. Mt. Pleasant
9. CR

4. A.I.
13. Conrad

5. HVT
12. Sussex Tech

2. Archmere
15. Tower Hill

7. Sallies
10. Dover

3. Caravel
14. Sussex Central

6. Smyrna
11. St. Georges

This post was edited on 5/21 8:33 PM by CountianJeff
Is this official?

Don't Hodgson and AI duPont both have 60 points???

Did Hodgson beat AI duPont 7-2 on May 12th?

Seems as though Hodgson should be the 4, and AI duPont be the 5 seed.

Hodgson has the 4 seed and will play Conrad in the first round while A.I. gets the 5th seed and will play Sussex Tech. With that being said a lot of interesting match ups first round should make for a fun day of baseball on Saturday

That is correct Hodgson beat AI 7-2 , head to head is the 1st tie-breaker when there is a tie in point index.
Hodgson should be the 4 seed. I hope the DIAA will make the correction and get it right!

Guy, i would think Hodgson would get 4 since both hod and ai had 60 and hod won but hearing Conrad at ai is official.

This is straight from the head man in charge. Now, they correct things later on occasion, but for now it is all official.

That one might get changed though. The email does say A.I. beat HVT head to head and was seeded fourth as a result.

Who's the man in charge??

Mel Gardner, Mike Hart???

Would love to get a copy of the final draft showing all of the teams, as I still don't believe Delmar. I had them finished tied for 24th, and would have lost a tie-breaker to Charter for that 24th spot.

Honestly if they can't get the AI - Hodgson thing right, I have serious doubts about everything.

Skip....i had Charter and Delmar tied for the 24th spot.

They didn't play each other

They had three common opponents, both going 1-2.

Then games against .650 winning percentage teams, i have Charter winning that tie breaker playing 8 versus Delmar's 5.

Not sure what i missed.

that rule you were talking about does not apply to all sports. Auto bid means just that.

not necessarily an "auto" bid as explained here...

B. Conference/Flight/Division Champions' automatic berths will be determined by the following qualifying criteria:

1. A Conference/Flight/Division must consist of five participating schools to receive an automatic berth. If a Conference/Flight/Division has fewer than five participating teams, the teams are still eligible for an at-large berth.

2. The Conference/Flight/Division Champion must possess a .500 winning percentage record or better.

3. The Conference/Flight/Division Champion must be in the top 50% of all eligible teams in the state tournament field

It's that 3rd criteria that seems to be the confusing one. As oldskool pointed out, and I agree, there seems to be a tie for 24th in the index. Now with 49 teams playing baseball, one would figure you need to be 24th to secure the auto bid for winning the conference.

I've exchanged e-mails this morning with Mel Gardener and he did agree that Charter and Delmar were in fact tied for 24th

Hi Joe. Delmar and Charter did end up tied for 24th but a tie breaker doesn't matter because there are only 16 teams in the tourney. Charter wouldn't have qualified because they didn't have a .500 or better record. Delmar qualifies because they were the Henlopen South champion and they become the 16th seed. Hopefully this answers your questions. Get back to me if you have more.

I wrote back this....

Thanx for writing back. I guess my confusion is in what exactly the top 50% of all teams eligible might be. If there are 49 teams playing baseball, are you requiring a team to be in the top 24, or top 25. If there was a tie for the 24th in the standings, how would you go about deciding who was 24th or 25th. Sorry if any of that is confusing.

To which he responded.....

There doesn't need to be a tie breaker. Delmar was a conference champ and tied for 24th and since Charter doesn't qualify for the tournament Delmar is in the top 50%.

Here's hoping that whomever writes the criteria for the 2015 Baseball tournament makes things a tad bit clearer.

Originally posted by rizzo2005:

that rule you were talking about does not apply to all sports. Auto bid means just that.
This is from the Baseball section of the 2014 tournament manual.

B. Conference/Flight/Division Champions' automatic berths will be determined by the following qualifying criteria:
1. A Conference/Flight/Division must consist of five participating schools to receive an automatic berth. If a Conference/Flight/Division has fewer than five participating teams, the teams are still eligible for an at-large berth.
2. The Conference/Flight/Division Champion must possess a .500 winning percentage record or better.
3. The Conference/Flight/Division Champion must be in the top 50% of all eligible teams in the state tournament field.

http://www.doe.k12.de.us/infosuites/students_family/diaa/files/SpringTournamentManual201443.pdf

I read his response as he is thinking you are asking about Charter getting into the tournament b/c they win a tie break over Delmar. Not that since Charter technically finished ahead of Delmar, pushing them out of the top 50% then it would actually knock Delmar out...therefore opening an at large bid for Tatnall or DMA

How does DIAA define ELIGIBLE Teams?

Do they need a .500 record or better to be eligible for the tournament field?
If that's the case, then only 27 of 48 teams had a .500 or better record.
So only 27 teams are Eligible for the tournament field.
A Conference Champ must be in the Top 50% of the 27 Eligible teams.
So to be a Conference Champ, you must be ranked #13 or better.

Furious Four...

Yes, that's why I originally posted DMA as the 15th seed in my guesstimate of the bracket. I figured I was clear enough in my question. Still don't understand any other way to interpret that 50% rule???

Originally posted by TheDETop20:

How does DIAA define ELIGIBLE Teams?
That appears to be one of the problems with the manual... it doesn't define "eligible teams". In this case, I think the intent is for auto-bid teams to be in the top 50% of all teams who were in consideration for the tournament. That doesn't seem to be defined for baseball. Golf does have one qualifier: "A team must play a minimum of twelve Varsity matches to be eligible for tournament consideration."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT