ADVERTISEMENT

Playoffs, lets talk playsoffs

EducatedEye

D1A Prospect
Jan 22, 2004
With a little over 1wk remaining in the season....

These guys all appear to be in good standing

Sanford
Polytech
Mount Pleasant
Concord
St. Elizabeth
Howard
William Penn
St Marks
Appoquinimink
Smyrna
DMA
Conrad
Laurel
Delmar

Then there's a clutter of teams that appear to have to fight for their lives for the final 10 spots

A.I.
Middletown (strength of schedule)
Delcastle
Newark (strength of schedule)
Charter
St. Georges
Hodgson
Dickinson
Sussex Tech
Dover
CR
Cape
MIlford
Woodbridge
Indian River
Salesianum
Red Lion
DAPS

This post was edited on 2/14 9:12 AM by EducatedEye

Im predicting milford to win the south with the remaining schedule they have along with what laurel and Delmar have left so that puts them in. Sallies on strength of schedule as well

AI should make it as well based off their strength of schedule. They will have played 9 of the top 10 teams according to the point index by the end of the season. They will need to hopefully beat Middletown and maybe upset another team down the stretch, and they will be a 10-15 seed team.

FanOfTheGame51, I agree w/ your Milford statement. W/ only 2 games left Milford should beat Lake & if they can get by Delmar (who they beat the first time around) then they will be right there in the mix for the Henlopen South title & automatic bid. Even w/ a win over Lake & loss to Delmar I think they'll squeak in w/ strength of schedule & that win over Dover will also mean a lot.

Sallies will be safe even if they finish at 10-10 (they still have St. Mark's, Smyrna & Concord left on shedule) w/ that brutal schedule. Dover should be OK too as long as they don't slip up a couple times w/ their last 4 games all vs teams below .500. I'd also pencil St. George's in. These 3 teams...Sallies, Dover & St. George's will be my bracketbusters because neither will be getting a Top 8 seed but all are capable of making a deep run.

I'm not saying that these 2 teams are not deserving of a spot in the tournament but I don't think DMA or Conrad has beaten a team w/ a record above .500 all year besides each other so I hope that they dont get a higher seed then some of the better teams.

This should be one of the most interesting tournaments in a while. Will Sanford continue their dominance & go wire to wire #1 in DE this year? Will Polytech finally get over the hump this year & make some noise in the tournament this year?

With all the senior leadership that polytech has included with their athleticism and good guard play, I would hope this would be the year they get over the hump. Im predicting st. georges to be in the final four no matter the seeding. And dover has everything a team needs but they may just be a year too early. They've gotta play together more and for a team with size they must learn to rebound better.

Let's be honest... Is St George's really tournament safe? They haven't Beating anybody on they're schedule with a decent record but DMA who I doubt will win a game in the tournament this year! they beat hogdson but I doubt Hogdson will finish above .500 they have Sanford, Howard, and Mt.P remaining

Originally posted by J12:

I'm not saying that these 2 teams are not deserving of a spot in the tournament but I don't think DMA or Conrad has beaten a team w/ a record above .500 all year besides each other so I hope that they dont get a higher seed then some of the better teams.

Lets be fair here. Delmar and Laurel have not played anyone besides themselves. Look at their out of conference schedules. Weak.

DMA beat Middletown and play a couple other tough teams like St Georges, Appo plus other out of conference games against Delcastle (11-6) and Charter (8-8).

Mcfly, St georges is safe they just got hamrick back this week.
Sallies will be safe off of SOS alone. St.E's made it to the Bob last year despite having a losing record in the regular season. Besides the obvious like Poly and Sanford the teams I would not want to face are Sallies, anytime Donte is playing you have a chance. StG, with Hamrick back they have a real chance to win it all. Finally Mount, they are a scrappy team and have played in a lot of close games. They hungry and battle tested.

sal, I'm not saying they won't do damage they could possibly win it with Hammerick... But will they get in?

Had they had Hamrick all season they'd had 3 losses at max thus far.... St Georges is the favorite against anyone except Sanford and Poly going forward

@oldtimer22, I'm well aware of Delmar & Laurel's schedules & have always said that they avoid tougher out of conference games every year & beat up on the Christian schools & weaker Bayside Conference schools. Laurel plays Delmarva Christian TWICE, Salisbury Christian, Holly Grove Christian & Salisbury School (MD). Delmar played Salisbury School (MD) TWICE & Salisbury Christian. I feel the same away about them as I do about DMA & Conrad...I hope that they are not rewarded w/ a high seed because they have feasted on nothing but cupcakes.

DMA has a tougher out of conference schedule than Delmar & Laurel BY FAR so that's not a bad thing by challenging yourself & I'm all for that so they are deserving...but my point was that they haven't beaten anyone good so I wouldn't like to see them seeded higher than other say .500 teams that are better than them. And if Middletown (6-11) is DMA's biggest win then that doesn't say much. Bottom line is everyone knows the point system so there can't be too many complaints...unfortunately teams like Laurel & Delmar this year simply take advantage of it which you also can't be mad at them for. To their defense I have not seen either team so I'm not sure how good they are but it's hard to judge when you haven't played anybody. I'm anxious to see how they do in the tournament though...keep in mind that I believe Laurel went upstate & upset Newark last year in the tournament before giving Howard a good game also.

@8yaz, I get the feeling you are not a Sallies fan...LoL.

Will you be making the trip downstate to check out Newark-Dover tonight?

Fan, EE, ok just checking.... Sanford is the favorite I think.

I haven't seen Poly but your not 16-1 by an accident they're margin of victory is in impressive!

Mount is scrappy team they play great D it makes up for lack of size but they Go as far Burnett takes them. We all know that can be a gift and a curse but I'll say gift because he make them all better he's a true pg best Pg in the state I've seen.

Concord is legit they Have a nice 3 guard trio but they don't win it unless Malloy is on his A game

St. G if they're in can take it all. I think bracket and seeding plays a big part.

Salesianum comes down to Donte he's gonna have to be heroic I think they just don't have enough honestly. I've seen them 3 times this year and clearly Donte is the most talented kid on the floor but I see alotta (unforced unnecessary) turnovers from him.

Howard has no Depth I think they sub in 1 guy and when the game gets crunch time they go 1 on 1 playground mode if they can stick together as a team they'll be ok. They have enough talent.

St. E ... The kid Money get busy like a one way street they also have a chance.

Appo ... After what concord did to them I jus cant see it Sorry. I only bought them up because of the record

these are the teams I think we see at the Bob

Sanford, Mount, Poly, Concord, St. E's, Sallies, St. Georges, Howard - That's the 8 at the Bob that seem the most likely, but you have teams a lil ways down the bracket (St. Mark's, William Penn, Smyrna, Milford) that could drop at least one upset on someone and change the whole direction of the tournament. Should be fun.

My AD buddy says if the tournament started Tmw the 8 teams with a bye would be

1. Concord
2. Mount
3. Sanford
4. Sallies
5. Poly
6. Appo
7. St es
8. Howard

Outside looking in

Penn
St M
Castle

@Realtalk035, I'm not saying your information is wrong & I know Sallies has a brutal schedule but I find it hard to believe that they'd be the #4 seed @ 8-8 if the tournament started today.

@Realtalk035, I'm not saying your information is wrong & I know Sallies has a brutal schedule but I find it hard to believe that they'd be the #4 seed @ 8-8 if the tournament started today.
I agree.

What happened to A.I.? They started off 7-1. And are 1-6 in their last seven games. And that one win in the losing stretch was against Tatnall. Talk about collapsing!

This post was edited on 2/12 9:26 PM by 8yaz

Just looked over Sallies schedule. They look to currently have 22 bonus points. They have played 10 games against teams that currently have a .701 win percentage or over St Marks, St Es twice, Howard, Sanford, Penn, Mount P. Ewing, St Vincient-St Mary and MLK. Plus 2 games with teams .501 or better AI and St Mary's. They have only played 4 games against teams that have losing records and it includes 12-13 Malvern Prep. Not exactly a cup cake. They have 3 games left against teams currently .701 or better St Marks, Smyrna and Concord.

This is all based on

1 bonus point playing .501 team
2 bonus points playing .701 team

Sallies is definitely piling up the bonus points...but St. Mark's & Smyrna are both 12-5 right now which is not .701 or better. Both teams would have to win out to finish .701 or better. St. Mark's has Sallies, Charter & St. E's left so I doubt they win out. Smyrna has CR, Sussex Tech & Sallies so it will be a tough task for them to win out as well. Either way w/ all of those bonus points Sallies will be knocking on the door of a bye. If they win out I think they will get a bye @ 12-8.

Sallies is definitely piling up the bonus points...but St. Mark's & Smyrna are both 12-5 right now which is not .701 or better. Both teams would have to win out to finish .701 or better. St. Mark's has Sallies, Charter & St. E's left so I doubt they win out. Smyrna has CR, Sussex Tech & Sallies so it will be a tough task for them to win out as well. Either way w/ all of those bonus points Sallies will be knocking on the door of a bye. If they win out I think they will get a bye @ 12-8.
Not to out math you but 12-5 is .7058. Go to http://www.websites4sports.com/ standings section at top of page. Scroll down and bring up the basketball standings.

Those standings are based on win percentage not the points you need to make state tournament

Originally posted by Realtalk035:
Those standings are based on win percentage not the points you need to make state tournament
Understand that but the standings are an easy place to figure out a teams bonus points based on opponents winning percentage.

@oldtimer22, you are correct on that win percentage. Although that will change by year's end w/ both teams having to win out to stick at .701 or above. This should be very interesting.

Originally posted by 8yaz:

Originally posted by sals2011:

Sallies will be safe off of SOS alone.
So all they have to do is keep losing games and they get in.
yaz......gotta love that point system huh :) Always a catch-22 for Sals.......year after year they seem to play the toughest schedule of any program in all sports but they manage to rack up titles and banners......go figure...

pts system is ok and is what it is but opportunity for improvement is there....look at football last season....many would/did think Sals were a top 6 team/others....not so much. The main impact the points system had in football probably hit Spartys boys the most. They were probably the 2nd best team in the state to WP.....their reward.....Concord then WP again in round 2......no biggie, right?....but the question remains.....did the best 2 teams play at UD? Happens in D2 as well.....and some years, the best team may be a D2 team.....

said it before and say it again....points are fine, maybe need some tweaking but maybe teams should get in on points and then seeds assigned with a few other factors included (SOS-margin of victory-commons) just to name a few.

I'll tell you one thing I'd rather have a root canal then sit through that Sallies v St. Marks game last night.

Originally posted by 8yaz:
I'll tell you one thing I'd rather have a root canal then sit through that Sallies v St. Marks game last night.
I was there and agree. The place was packed too. A Donte block in the 2nd Q was worth the price of admission. STM had an easy break away layup and I swear he took off from the foul line to block the shot. The kid is far and away the most athletic player I have seen in Delaware in many years. Anyone who has not seen him play should catch a game before he moves on.

Haven't had the chance to see Dante this year. Last night wasn't going to be the night with the way St Marks plays. He only had two baskets, so despite his blocked shot, I'm glad I didn't make the trip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT