ADVERTISEMENT

PLAYOFFS - ROUND 2 May 26, 2015

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
I think this will be a VERY exciting quarter-finals.

#8 Appo (14-5) @ #1 St Marks (16-3)
Appo coming off a very close game against St Georges in the first round winning a back and forth game 5-4. St Marks was also in a close game despite the 7-3 final. St Marks was losing 3-2 going into the bottom of the sixth were they scored 5 to break the game open. Now in this second round game, to show the difference in experience, St Marks will be playing in its 102nd playoff game since 1970 (81-20 record), Appo in its 8th playoff game ever. These two teams met in 2013 in the second round with St Marks winning 12-1. More recently though a few weeks back Appo & St Marks played one of the best games of the season, an 11 inning 6 to 5 game. In that game it was Steckline/Banning vs Sullivan/Reich/Perry. So though Appo will be without its ace most likely, Garrett, hopefully we will see another classic game. Both Appo and St Marks are averaging around 7 runs per game and giving up around 2 runs per game. I think St Marks will have the experience advantage as well as the pitching advantage. But both teams can hit the ball, so i'm thinking this could be a back and forth game, scoring type game.

#4 Hodgson (15-4) @ #5 Dover (15-4)
Hodgson is coming off a blow out of Mt Pleasant in the first round, scoring fast (9 runs by the 4th), winning 10-0. But more concerning is that Walter threw a complete game and won't be available for this game. IF Hodgson can get through Dover, they will be setup nicely in the semis with Walter going...but they got to get there first. Dover played a much close game in the 1st round, beating DMA 4-3. Dover was down 2-0, before a 4 run fourth inning rally (including a 2 run HR by Kendall Small) put them ahead and they held on. Now in this second round game, Hodgson plays in only its 17th playoff appearance (seems like it should be more) with an overall record of 5-11. Dover on the other hand has played in 41 previous game, going just below .500. Hodgson is looking to go to its first ever Semi-final game while Dover is looking for its 10th Semi Final appearance, most recently losing a close one in 2014 to Caravel. Hodgson played Dover in the first round of the playoffs in 2013 and lost 8-2. Hodgson and Dover did not play in the regular season in 2015. Of their common opponents this year, they both beat Appo in a close game, both lost to St Marks, both beat DMA and Charter pretty good. The only difference in common opponents this year was that Hodgson lost to CR 7-2, while Dover beat CR 6-0. Hodgson and Dover are both scoring about 6 runs per game and giving up just under 3 runs per game. But it must be mentioned that Hodgson gives up a lot more runs when Walter isn't pitching. Hodgson gave up 51 runs in the regular season this year, 43 were when Walter wasn't on the mound. Andrus has been the #2 guy this year, going 4-1 on the season. But i saw that Sayers pitched last week, so i don't know if he is available??? Dover pitched their 6-0 ace Rowley last game, but still have their other 2 starters available, Small (4-1) and Johnson (2-3). I have to give Dover the advantage due to pitching. This second round is tough on teams. You have to have the depth to survive with your #2 guy.

#10 Cape (12-7) @ #2 Sallies (16-3).
Cape is coming off a huge win last week going on the road beating Tech 8-4 in a game that was really a blowout from the start. Cape jumped on them scoring 5 in the first, then another 3 in the third. Sallies did the opposite in the first round, starting slow, but hanging in there and showing strength later in the game. Sallies went down 2-0 in the first, but settled down and chipped away at the lead over the next couple of innings tying it up at 2 and then scoring 3 runs in the 5th to secure the lead. Sallies is looking to get to their 22nd semi final appearance since 1970, second only to St Mark's 23 semi final appearances. Cape is looking to make only its 2nd semi final appearance in that same time period. Cape last played Sallies in the playoffs in 2004, with Sallies winning 17-1. This year, Cape and Sallies played about mid-season and Sallies won that 3-1 with Robino on the mound going against McCoy. It was a very good game, where Sallies scored 2 in the first but then both teams only scored 1 run each the remainder of the game. Cape also outhit Sallies 6-3, but just didn't get more runs across. This was also before Cape really started to pick up steam and go on their 6 game winning streak. But fairly, Sallies has won 12 straight games. Since mid-april, St Marks is the only team to beat either of these teams. Both teams pitched their #1 guy in the first round, McCoy for Cape and Hinton for Sallies. So i would assume it will be Robino (5-0) for Sallies, who already beat Cape once and it will be either Vitella, Elliott or Jarrell. Cape has been one of the hottest teams in the state since mid season. But arguably Sallies is just as hot or hotter with their 12 game winning streak. Cape scores about 7 runs per game, but does give up over 5 runs per game. Sallies on the other hand score about 5 runs per game for the season but during this 12 games is over 7 runs per game. The big difference between these two teams is on defense, because Sallies only gives up about 2 runs per game. Sallies run production in big games has been their downfall this season. Cape doesn't have the pitching that Sallies usually struggles against with run production, so i'm leaning toward Sallies if they can score. Because i'm thinking Cape will score this go round.

#11 Tower Hill (16-3) @ #3 Caravel (15-4)
Tower Hill is coming off a big statement win in the first round against Archmere 7-2. Tower HIll was the underdog and the team that nobody wanted to give credit to because of its easy schedule. But Tower Hill after going down 1-0 in the first inning, scored a run or 2 in each of the next three innings jumping out to a 5-1 lead against one of the better pitchers in the league, Voge (7-1), then dropped 2 more runs on Archmere in the 7th to seal the deal. Just what a legitimate playoff team does !!! Tower Hill hasn't had a win the playoffs in many years with their overall record being 9-17. But now they move on to one of the more successful teams in the state, Caravel, who has been in the 3 of the last 4 championship games and are the defending state champs. Caravel played a very good game in its first round matchup with Smyrna. Caravel started off slow with a scoreless tie going into the bottom of the 4th, but piled on 6 runs over the next two innings to pull away from Smyrna. Tower Hill pitched its #1 guy, Brendan Harris (7-1) who pitched a complete game and won't be available. Caravel pitched both of its top pitchers, Carney (3 innings), Fraley (4 innings). Tower Hill and Caravel did not play in 2015. They only had 2 common opponents Sallies and Charter. Caravel won a close game with Sallies, while TH lost big 10-2 but TH beat Charter 5-3, while Caravel lost to Charter 4-3. Tower Hill last played Caravel in the playoffs back in 2007, it was the year that Tower Hill last made it to the second round of the playoffs. Caravel greeted Tower to the 2nd round in 2007 by beating them 9-0. Tower HIll has been averaging 7 runs per game this season, including the 7 they scored on Archmere on Saturday. Tower HIll has given up less than 3 runs per game this year. Hill will be without Harris, so i assume they will go with their #2 Fagan, who is 5-2 on the season. Caravel only averages 5 runs per game, but does that against some pretty stiff competition. Caravel only allows 3 runs per game. I'm not sure what Caravel will do for pitching as they pitched both Carney/Fraley. But both should be available, but will they start someone else hoping this will be a managable game and they might want those two rested for a potential Semi Final matchup. Silan started 3 games during the regular season. If Caravel goes to its #3 pitcher, i think Tower HIll might have a chance to do something. But unfortunately, i just don't see Tower HIll beating Caravel, especially without its own #1 guy. Sorry Caravel, but who doesn't love a good underdog story...go Hillers.

I think this will be a VERY exciting quarter-finals.

#8 Appo (14-5) @ #1 St Marks (16-3)
Appo coming off a very close game against St Georges in the first round winning a back and forth game 5-4. St Marks was also in a close game despite the 7-3 final. St Marks was losing 3-2 going into the bottom of the sixth were they scored 5 to break the game open. Now in this second round game, to show the difference in experience, St Marks will be playing in its 102nd playoff game since 1970 (81-20 record), Appo in its 8th playoff game ever. These two teams met in 2013 in the second round with St Marks winning 12-1. More recently though a few weeks back Appo & St Marks played one of the best games of the season, an 11 inning 6 to 5 game. In that game it was Steckline/Banning vs Sullivan/Reich/Perry. So though Appo will be without its ace most likely, Garrett, hopefully we will see another classic game. Both Appo and St Marks are averaging around 7 runs per game and giving up around 2 runs per game. I think St Marks will have the experience advantage as well as the pitching advantage. But both teams can hit the ball, so i'm thinking this could be a back and forth game, scoring type game.

#4 Hodgson (15-4) @ #5 Dover (15-4)
Hodgson is coming off a blow out of Mt Pleasant in the first round, scoring fast (9 runs by the 4th), winning 10-0. But more concerning is that Walter threw a complete game and won't be available for this game. IF Hodgson can get through Dover, they will be setup nicely in the semis with Walter going...but they got to get there first. Dover played a much close game in the 1st round, beating DMA 4-3. Dover was down 2-0, before a 4 run fourth inning rally (including a 2 run HR by Kendall Small) put them ahead and they held on. Now in this second round game, Hodgson plays in only its 17th playoff appearance (seems like it should be more) with an overall record of 5-11. Dover on the other hand has played in 41 previous game, going just below .500. Hodgson is looking to go to its first ever Semi-final game while Dover is looking for its 10th Semi Final appearance, most recently losing a close one in 2014 to Caravel. Hodgson played Dover in the first round of the playoffs in 2013 and lost 8-2. Hodgson and Dover did not play in the regular season in 2015. Of their common opponents this year, they both beat Appo in a close game, both lost to St Marks, both beat DMA and Charter pretty good. The only difference in common opponents this year was that Hodgson lost to CR 7-2, while Dover beat CR 6-0. Hodgson and Dover are both scoring about 6 runs per game and giving up just under 3 runs per game. But it must be mentioned that Hodgson gives up a lot more runs when Walter isn't pitching. Hodgson gave up 51 runs in the regular season this year, 43 were when Walter wasn't on the mound. Andrus has been the #2 guy this year, going 4-1 on the season. But i saw that Sayers pitched last week, so i don't know if he is available??? Dover pitched their 6-0 ace Rowley last game, but still have their other 2 starters available, Small (4-1) and Johnson (2-3). I have to give Dover the advantage due to pitching. This second round is tough on teams. You have to have the depth to survive with your #2 guy.

#10 Cape (12-7) @ #2 Sallies (16-3).
Cape is coming off a huge win last week going on the road beating Tech 8-4 in a game that was really a blowout from the start. Cape jumped on them scoring 5 in the first, then another 3 in the third. Sallies did the opposite in the first round, starting slow, but hanging in there and showing strength later in the game. Sallies went down 2-0 in the first, but settled down and chipped away at the lead over the next couple of innings tying it up at 2 and then scoring 3 runs in the 5th to secure the lead. Sallies is looking to get to their 22nd semi final appearance since 1970, second only to St Mark's 23 semi final appearances. Cape is looking to make only its 2nd semi final appearance in that same time period. Cape last played Sallies in the playoffs in 2004, with Sallies winning 17-1. This year, Cape and Sallies played about mid-season and Sallies won that 3-1 with Robino on the mound going against McCoy. It was a very good game, where Sallies scored 2 in the first but then both teams only scored 1 run each the remainder of the game. Cape also outhit Sallies 6-3, but just didn't get more runs across. This was also before Cape really started to pick up steam and go on their 6 game winning streak. But fairly, Sallies has won 12 straight games. Since mid-april, St Marks is the only team to beat either of these teams. Both teams pitched their #1 guy in the first round, McCoy for Cape and Hinton for Sallies. So i would assume it will be Robino (5-0) for Sallies, who already beat Cape once and it will be either Vitella, Elliott or Jarrell. Cape has been one of the hottest teams in the state since mid season. But arguably Sallies is just as hot or hotter with their 12 game winning streak. Cape scores about 7 runs per game, but does give up over 5 runs per game. Sallies on the other hand score about 5 runs per game for the season but during this 12 games is over 7 runs per game. The big difference between these two teams is on defense, because Sallies only gives up about 2 runs per game. Sallies run production in big games has been their downfall this season. Cape doesn't have the pitching that Sallies usually struggles against with run production, so i'm leaning toward Sallies if they can score. Because i'm thinking Cape will score this go round.

#11 Tower Hill (16-3) @ #3 Caravel (15-4)
Tower Hill is coming off a big statement win in the first round against Archmere 7-2. Tower HIll was the underdog and the team that nobody wanted to give credit to because of its easy schedule. But Tower Hill after going down 1-0 in the first inning, scored a run or 2 in each of the next three innings jumping out to a 5-1 lead against one of the better pitchers in the league, Voge (7-1), then dropped 2 more runs on Archmere in the 7th to seal the deal. Just what a legitimate playoff team does !!! Tower Hill hasn't had a win the playoffs in many years with their overall record being 9-17. But now they move on to one of the more successful teams in the state, Caravel, who has been in the 3 of the last 4 championship games and are the defending state champs. Caravel played a very good game in its first round matchup with Smyrna. Caravel started off slow with a scoreless tie going into the bottom of the 4th, but piled on 6 runs over the next two innings to pull away from Smyrna. Tower Hill pitched its #1 guy, Brendan Harris (7-1) who pitched a complete game and won't be available. Caravel pitched both of its top pitchers, Carney (3 innings), Fraley (4 innings). Tower Hill and Caravel did not play in 2015. They only had 2 common opponents Sallies and Charter. Caravel won a close game with Sallies, while TH lost big 10-2 but TH beat Charter 5-3, while Caravel lost to Charter 4-3. Tower Hill last played Caravel in the playoffs back in 2007, it was the year that Tower Hill last made it to the second round of the playoffs. Caravel greeted Tower to the 2nd round in 2007 by beating them 9-0. Tower HIll has been averaging 7 runs per game this season, including the 7 they scored on Archmere on Saturday. Tower HIll has given up less than 3 runs per game this year. Hill will be without Harris, so i assume they will go with their #2 Fagan, who is 5-2 on the season. Caravel only averages 5 runs per game, but does that against some pretty stiff competition. Caravel only allows 3 runs per game. I'm not sure what Caravel will do for pitching as they pitched both Carney/Fraley. But both should be available, but will they start someone else hoping this will be a managable game and they might want those two rested for a potential Semi Final matchup. Silan started 3 games during the regular season. If Caravel goes to its #3 pitcher, i think Tower HIll might have a chance to do something. But unfortunately, i just don't see Tower HIll beating Caravel, especially without its own #1 guy. Sorry Caravel, but who doesn't love a good underdog story...go Hillers.

I heard Bilous may be pitching for Caravel......just kidding!! I find it hard to believe that Caravel would not go back to Carney with Fraley ready to close if need be. Makes sense if Silan or Marenco can chew up some innings for them and get Carney/Fraley in position for the next round(s). I would not look past Tower Hill though. They have some guys that can bang the ball around and Caravel has still shown an inability to hit/score at times this season. Not sure what the Hillers pitching looks like past Harris.

1stballer...your right, Walter can go. I just assumed he wouldn't. But i wonder if they will start him again??? He could go 3 innings and still pitch on Thursday by rule.

Appo up 3-0.

Dover up 7-1 in the 2nd inning over Hodgson. Wow. Sayers started, Andrus in now.

Cape explodes for 9 runs. Leads Sallies 9-3 and Cape still has bases loaded in 3rd Inning...

After 4. Appo still 3-0

Dover leading Hodgson 8-4 in 3rd inning

Cape leads 9-4 after 4 innings
Dover leads 8-6 after 3 innings
Appo leads 3-1 after 6 innings

APPO wins. #1 seed is out. 1st time in 4 years St Marks WILL NOT be in Championship. And for the 1st time in 3 years, WE WILL have a public school in the championship.

Reactions: concord87 and 8yaz
5 balks called in the hvt game against hvt in first two innings leading to 2+ dover runs. Not one to complain about officiating but if you were there then you'll understand. Glad the diaa was able to witness that one, wow.

Sallie and St Marks go down! Life is good. Now let's get Caravel out of there. Would like to see someone different.

Reactions: concord87
5 balks called in the hvt game against hvt in first two innings leading to 2+ dover runs. Not one to complain about officiating but if you were there then you'll understand. Glad the diaa was able to witness that one, wow.
In regards to the umpiring I was there but they didn't cause Hodgson to lose that game, the balks were legit calls, Sayers was not stopping, someone should have talked to that young man and tell him to slow down enough to stop getting called. Hodgson made a baserunning mistake which took them out of an inning and made a few errors that were costly. Was a great game to watch, lots of timely hitting and kid from Dover they brought in really kept them in the game.

@DETitans how about that "do over" call? two umps make different calls so they have a do over? Never heard of that before in my life. Sorry but let the kids play the game.

Last edited:
Was at the Hodgson/Dover game. Went to watch baseball but a circus broke out. Had no player on either team, just a long time baseball fan. Sat behind the backstop and in all the balk calls did not see the violation one time. (I umpired for years.) If it was there, it was very ticky-tacky. For my money, in a state tournament game it better be extremely obvious, to everybody! Later, Sayers(?) for HVT, while at bat, was being given a warning (I was told) for uttering an expletive. The home plate ump walked behind him while he was taking a practice swing to inform the HVT coach. When he did, Sayers' bat hit the ump's shoulder on the follow-thru. BANG...he ran Sayers faster than you could blink an eye. I was 15 ft. from them and it was clearly unintentional. Later, a Dover batter was hit in the hand by a pitch. HVT complained that he was in the act of swinging...he wasn't. BOOM...umpire changed the call to strike 3! Later still...Dover at bat w/ 2 out and runner on first, who gets picked off while stealing. As HVT is leaving the field, umps call for another pow wow. Can't agree on a ruling, so put the runner back on first, take the 3rd out off the board and have a "DO-OVER"! Have never seen a do-over in organized baseball. Moving on, HVT, with runner on 1B, batter gets a hit to LF. Batter takes 2nd as throw comes into 3rd. Dover appeals that runner on 2nd missed 1B. No call from 1B ump but 2B ump calls runner out! There are 4 umpires doing this game. How does the 1B ump not make the call? STILL later, HVT at bat w/ runners on 1st and 2nd and 2 out...Dover pitcher starts to make a move to first base, but evidently one of the umps called time. So the pitcher holds the ball. HP ump calls a balk and puts HVT runners on 2nd and 3rd. The umpires lost control of this game early on and it went straight downhill from there. I've never seen anything like it in all the years I've watched baseball. I would LOVE to have seen these 2 good, closely matched teams play a game where the outcome was determined by the PLAYERS! In a single elimination tournament of this stature, that's all you can ask and/or hope for.

@redskin2b Hit the nail on the head with that one! 100000% agree. These kids work WAY too hard all year to have a game dictated so much by the umpires, and i believe by rule, if hvt would have won, sayers would have had to sit the next game also? so you are taking a seniors possible last baseball game away from him on a cheesy call like that. It was just an absolute mess and i hope DIAA got a good look at this game. 4 umpires and this is what happens?! Unreal and very disappointing. Good luck to dover the rest of the way and congrats on a great season for hodgson!

If the umpire walked behind the batter and got hit on backswing or follow thru or whatever, that's his own fault. He should have called time and not walked directly behind the hitter. Duh? Just because he calls time doesn't mean the batter can't take a swing or the catcher stand up. Man, what a crock!

Wow...despite the balking issue from the Hodgson game. What a good day of baseball!!! Exciting games...back and forth...upsets...almost upset...

Appo beat St Marks 3-1. I wouldn't say this was a huge upset other than #8 took down #1. St Marks and Appo played a great game a few weeks back going 11 innings. What i was most impressed with is how Appo's #2 pitcher Ryan Steckline stepped up to shut down St Marks. 1 run allowed over 6 innings to the #1 team in the state is pretty impressive. This kid is a sophomore i do believe, so we will see him a lot the next couple of years. Of course he got the help of his defense as well. Appo scored a run in each of its first 3 innings. The runs went silent the rest of the game, but good pitching kept St Marks bats asleep. It was a tough year i'm sure with the loss of BP this season. St Marks did great despite losing their #1 pitcher before the season.

Cape beat Sallies 9-4. Sallies jumped out to a 3-0 in the first inning and looked poised to run over Cape, but wow, the fatal 3rd inning were Cape scored 9 and put Sals down and out. The way Sallies was playing, i thought this might be their year. It was a good season for them though.

Caravel beat Tower HIll. TH took a 3-1 lead over Caravel late. Caravel just couldn't get going against the team that everyone expected to get smacked around. Caravel rallied late and stole the game back. Kudos to Tower Hill on a great season and really proving yourself in the playoffs.

Dover beat Hodgson 9-7. The balk gate!! Its always a shame when a game takes a twist because of a bad call or an incident or an inning. I wasn't there, i'm not blaming anyone. But It clouds the fact that this could have been a good game, thats what sucks. Dover jumped out to a huge 7-1 lead partially due to the balking issue, but Hodgson battled back late and made this a game, but it wasn't enough to overcome the early run production.

No offense to St Marks and Sallies who are great teams and had great seasons, but its nice to see different teams get in the semis. And being a public school kid myself, its nice to see 3 true publics in the semis (1st since 2008 that 3 publics were in the semis) and though i'm an upstate kid as well, its nice to see 2 Henlopen teams in the Semis (only the 3rd time in the last 24 years). Now the big IF....If Cape can beat Caravel, it would be the first time we will have two publics in the championship game since 1990. For the past 24 years either St Marks, Sallies or Caravel have reached the championship game. Thats pretty amazing. But sorry Caravel, i have to route for that streak to end. Also we haven't had a public school as champion since 2002. I would like to see that end as well. I don't mean to bash on the privates, I have much respect for what they accomplish and at the level they play the game, i just would like to see the publics to be more of a force. It just makes Delaware baseball even stronger !!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: TouchThemAll
Nice recap, OS42. Now the pitching really gets interesting, particularly for Caravel who has relied heavily on 2 pitchers for most of the year. Carney can't go tomorrow due to days rest rules, and Fraley is eligible but has thrown a lot of pitches since Saturday. Could be two more close games in the semis.

Thanks Touchthemall...

But don't feel too bad for Caravel. They have more talent on the bench than most. Heck their bench could probably beat half the teams in the state. Who actually pitched for Caravel against TH and how many innings did they pitch???

Freshman, Silan started 3 games for Caravel this regular season, pitching 5 innings against Penn Charter and a good St Joseph team, but only pitched 2 against EPIS to end the season. Silan came in for relief a few times as well. Marenco and Findley both started games as well.

how cool would a appo vs cape final be, as appo head coach Billy Cunningham is a former player of Cape's Ben Evick

Thanks Touchthemall...
But don't feel too bad for Caravel. They have more talent on the bench than most. Heck their bench could probably beat half the teams in the state. Who actually pitched for Caravel against TH and how many innings did they pitch???

Hah! I'm not worried about Caravel. They're still the overwhelming favorite in my book. I think the official count should be Carney 5 innings and Fraley 3 innings yesterday since they both pitched in the 5th.

Great recap oldskool. No surprises here to see a public school in the finals. Now winning is another story, although I believe this Cape team is clicking on all 8 cylinders and is poised to make a run for the Championship (I'm a downstate graduate so am a little biased). But as you mentioned no one should discredit this Caravel team as their past certainly speaks volume, so this will be no cake walk for the Vikings. With regards to the Appo/Dover game I wish I could see for myself as I expect to be exciting and fan friendly game, but duty must call with providing for my family so I will wait for the updates from this website. GOOD LUCK TO THE 4 TEAMS REMAINING!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT