27. 41 Lake
28. 41 Friends
29. 37 Bwine
30. 35 RLCA
31. 34 DEPSS

Let me know if i missed anything

Last edited:
Reactions: TouchThemAll
Middletown and Polytech will most likely play Wednesday after Middletown won their protest from Friday's game. Polytech plays today and Tuesday already. This might change your points totals.

Oldskool not sure if you know but teams are seeded by a index which is #of points divided by number of games, but I am guessing most teams will have same number of games

Middletown and Polytech will most likely play Wednesday after Middletown won their protest from Friday's game. Polytech plays today and Tuesday already. This might change your points totals.

What was the nature of the protest???

Polytech batted out of order. The starting pitcher for Polytech got ejected after he struck out in top of 1st. Instead of putting his replacement in his spot in the order they put him in after the nine hitter, essentially batting ten the first time through the order.

DETITANS...you should know oldskool knows all...haha...just kidding. My fingers got cramped just doing point totals, let alone the indexes as well. (I'm sure you know what i mean).

But seriously, aside from possible weather issues this week and this poly/mtown issue, the only team in playoff contention that doesn't have 18 games scheduled i can think of is NewarK Charter.

My wise old friend you are absolutely correct. We need to try and meet up during the tourney so we know who each other are. I will be coaching Saturday down in Gtown but maybe Tuesday we can catch up at a game

Batting out of order was something that has always confused me. What I am even more confused about is that it was possible to win a protest with regards to it. Did the umpire actually fail to enforce the rule when it was brought to his attention that the player was batting out of order?

This was the way I always understood it:

(c) When an improper batter becomes a runner or is put out, and a pitch is made to the next batter of either team before an appeal is made, the improper batter thereby becomes the proper batter, and the results of his time at bat become legal.

I always took that to mean that everything that occurred after the first batter was legal.

Last edited:
We need an experienced umpire to explain it because I was there and still don't know exactly what happened. A bunch of us Dads who have coached many years were not sure what the rule was and how to correct the mistake. The umpires and coaches got together for quite some time to discuss it. They would be the ones to know exactly what's going on. Vertical Stripes on the fb board is always good at explaining rules questions.

After yesterday it looks like Sallies will jump to the 2 seed beating RLCA and getting 2 more bonus points for St E's 9th win. Hodgson jumps over Tech for 5th with win over Archmere. Still a lot of moving pieces for the bottom 4 slots.

I was there with CHS89 and I think this is what happened at the MHS/Poly protest;

First you can't win a protest simply because a team batted out of order, but you can win it if the umpire does not enforce the rules correctly in regards to substitution/batting order.

Once the player was ejected after the top of the first, I saw the Poly coaches huddle with the home plate ump. I believe they were discussing how to handle the ejection and the substitution. They somehow came to the conclusion together that the correct way to handle it was to slide the rest of the order up one spot and insert the sub in the 9 hole position, which really was the "10 hole".

First I'm surprised a varsity baseball coach did not know the substitution rule. I'm even more amazed (but not shocked) that the umpire didn't know the substitution rules. Ultimately the blame rests on the shoulders of the umpire and that was why I believe the protest was upheld. I don't think this gets the Poly coaches off the hook though, they absolutely need to know the rules also and this is an example of where not knowing a fairly basic rule cost a team a win.

Polytech's rain-out last night really makes this interesting. They already have games scheduled today (DMA) and tomorrow (Laurel). I think tomorrow is the final day of the regular season. How are they going to finish a game with Middletown? Or do they have to forfeit?

So does this game not get counted now. Poly has games the next two days and I think wed is the last day for regular season games to be played?

Great explanation mac1015. Now the next problem...Polytech got rained out yesterday and has a game today that could get rained out as well. The last day for games is supposed to be tomorrow. Will the DIAA push that back or cancel remaining games? Seedings are based on an index so not every team has to play the same amount of games.

Games Wednesday need to be called in by 6 PM in order to count. Middletown and Poly both need to play the game and win in order to have any chance to make the tournament.

YIKES...this Mtown/Poly throws a wrinkle in things. Obviously there are 3 pts at stake for the win. But there are also bonus pts at stake from Poly. That win gave Poly its 9th win which dished off pts to all its opponents which specifically could hurt Milford and Central who are right above the bubble teams at 51 and 50 pts. Central should be fine because they still play Laurel, so they will be favored to garner another 3 pts. Poly does have two games remaining, one against Laurel, so they could jump right back to 9 wins anyway.

Mtown though this is huge for. Right now there is a FOUR way tie for the final spot at 49 pts (DMA, MTP, Mtown, Charter). Mtown is one of those teams at 49. If Mtown could win this one, they jump 3 pts higher possibly securing a spot.

Now besides the aforementioned mess....There are currently only 3 teams that could potentially dish out bonus pts still; DMA, Conrad and Mt Pleasant. All three still have one game remaining. If any wins, all their opponents get an extra bonus pt.

I was just about done working through the scenerios for the final spots...but this Mtown/Poly could throw all that for a loop. I will try to repost pts later but here is the bottom as i see it right now (not changing things for the Mtown/Poly issue yet).

#13. 51 Pts Milford (no games)
#14. 50 Pts Central (1 game left)
#15 50 pts Newark (no games left)
#16 49 pts DMA, MT P, Mtown, Charter (DMA & Mt P have a game to play)
#20 47 pts St E (1 game left)
#21 46 pts CR & Conrad (each with a game to play)
#23 45 pts Wm Penn (no games)
#24 44 pts Poly (2 games left)
#25 44 pts Lake (no games left)

Of course the weather could cause more fun as the index becomes a factor.

Tie-breaking criteria.
1) Head-to-head competition. If three or more teams are tied, they must all have played each other.
2) Records against common opponents.
3) Number of opponents with 65% or better records.
4) Number of opponents with 50% or better records.
5)The Baseball Committee will decide.

Oldskool, you had St.E at 44 pts prior to playing Charter, so shouldn't they be at 48 (not 47) after winning, as Charter has 9 wins?

wow nothing like down to the last minute with getting the games in, both teams could be in the hunt for that last spot

Appo was up 3-2 over Mt Pleasant when lightening stopped the game. Don't know if it continued later, I left

Thanks for the info Mac, so hard to believe the umps got it so wrong. A guy a work with umps and said he couldn't possibly fathom an ump not knowing the rule. Worst case scenario, they should have opened up the rule book as soon as there was a question.

OK oldskool42, I think the two Poly games are the only ones left that matter. Where do we stand, please?

Yeah come on OS42, you're falling down on the job!. What do we pay your for? Dying to know what that big win yesterday for Mt Pleasant does for the bottom teams.

Reactions: sc09
How accurate is website4sports.com standings for baseball...compared to the excellent job oldskool does keeping us updated?

How accurate is website4sports.com standings for baseball...compared to the excellent job oldskool does keeping us updated?

The website4sports standings only look at wins and losses. It's not accurate at all in terms of who will make the tournament because of how bonus points and conference championships impact the seeding.

Umpires should know as many rules as possible when being assigned a high school or college game, and between the two or three of them on the field, they should get it right after a brief discussion. Especially when a manager shows them the rules in a rule book or one a web enabled phone pointing back to the governing rules on line.

I have been thrown out more times than I need to mention because an umpire did not know a rule interpretation. Several months later, the umpire will come up to me and say that i was right and apologize that they did not know the rule at the time. As coaches, we are not trying to embarrass an umpire when we question a ruling. When an umpire does not get a rule interpretation correct, it is the managers choice/right to file a protest just like it was done in this case. I think over all the umpires have done a great job this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT