ADVERTISEMENT

POINTS as of 5/19

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
Here is how i see it: ( * means waiting on 1 pt from Poly if they end at .500 or above)

I do realize its actually by points index, which means you take total pts divided by number of games played, but since everyone playoff eligible played 18 except NCS (and they don't have enough pts), it wasn't a factor.

1. 70 St Marks
2. 66 Sallies
3. 64 Caravel
4. 62 Hodgson
5. 60 Dover **
6. 59 Archmere **
7. 59 Sussex Tech **
8. 58 Appo
9. 56 St Georges
10. 55 Tower Hill
11 54 Cape **
12. 54 Mt Pleasant
13. 53 DMA **
14. 53 Newark
15. 51 Milford ** (MILFORD in VIA AUTO BID for Hen. South Title)

16. 52 Smyrna **
17. 52 Sussex Cetnral **
18. 51 Conrad
19. 50 Mtown ** Possibly Poly pt and has 1 game remaining
20. 49 Charter **
21. 48 CR **
22. 47 Wm Penn
23. 47 St E
24. 42 Poly (has two games, Mtown and Laurel, no bonus pts available)

Please let me know if you see anything i missed.

If the team has an asterik, you can get a point. If no asterik their done.

Last edited:
As i see it: Poly, St E, Wm Penn, CR, Charter and Conrad are DONE.

If Mtown wins against Poly, and then Poly wins against Laurel, Mtown would be in at 54. Then there would be a 3 way tie at 53 for the final spot between Smy, Central & Newark.

If Mtown wins against Poly, and then Poly loses to Laurel then Mtown, Newark and DMA are all tied at 53 and get in. While Central and Smyrna would be out.

If Mtown loses against Poly, Mtown is out and Newark, Central and Smyrna would be tied for the final 2 spots.

OH...if the Mtown/Poly game doesn't take place. Is that a forfeit by Poly??? Or considered a game not played??? If its a game not played, Mtown total pts divided by only 17 games.

Last edited:
Thanks sc09. I do my best to get info out. I would love to have my numbers confirmed though. Lots of gyrations.

Great job on putting that together.

Only thing I see is:

Milford has the Henelopen South Auto Bid in it's pocket regardless of points and

I count Newark at 53;
12 wins Plus
+2 MTP
+2 Appo
+2 Sussex Tech
+2 Smyrna
+1 Red Lion
+1 Charter
+2 Middletown(played twice)
+1 Brandywine
+1 Friends
+1 WP
+2 DMA

17 Bonus Plus the 36 for wins.

FuriousFour...you are correct about Milford and Newark. Thanks for the double check. I totally lost track of Milford. They are in no matter what. I will correct my assumptions above.

What are the match ups for the first round? Even though the points aren't official, what seed will play which seed in round 1?

I missed Central's potential bonus point for Poly on the first try. Going through it again. :mad:

Last edited:
Trying this again.

OS42, based on you doing the heavy lifting, I think these teams all made the tournament:

70 St Marks
66 Sallies
64 Caravel
62 Hodgson
60 Dover *
59 Archmere *
59 Sussex Tech *
58 Appo
56 St Georges
55 Tower Hill
54 Cape *
54 Mt Pleasant
53 DMA *
51 Milford *
* add 1 point if Poly wins one more game

Milford is the #16 seed. Assuming Poly plays both games, final seeds get decide based on:
Poly loses both: Mtown and Newark in, Smyrna and Central out.
Poly beats Laurel, loses to Mtown: Mtown in, Central/Newark/Smyrna tied for one spot.
Poly beats Mtown: Mtown out, Central/Newark/Smyrna tied for two spots.

Tie breakers if needed:

Central, Smyrna, Newark

1. No clear head to head
2. Record against Common Opponents - All played Tech and lost
3. # of Opponents with a .650 record - Central 7, Newark and Smyrna both have 5
4. # of Opponents with a .500 record - Central 13, Newark 12, Smyrna 11

Therefore if Poly beat Laurel, but loses to Mtown....Central would win out over Newark and Smyrna for final spot
Therefore if Poly beats Mtown (mtown is out) .....Central and Newark would win out over Smyrna

My head hurts....

I think according to my calculus computations...Smyrna can't get in...

Last edited:
Poly beat laurel so everyone that played poly gets a point. Just waiting on the weather tomorrow now

I hope your headache is gone OS42, because there's one more unknown regarding the 3-way tie-breaker for two open spots. Since Newark/Smyrna would still be tied after the .650 tie-breaker, do you continue to the .500 tie-breaker, or start back at the top for a two-way tie? Newark wins the former, Smyrna wins the later (head-to-head).

The forecast is calling for rain in Middletown all afternoon. It would be a real shame if Middletown misses an opportunity to pick up those 3 points through no fault of their own with the protest. I haven't done the math, but I can't image they get in at 10-7.

I hope your headache is gone OS42, because there's one more unknown regarding the 3-way tie-breaker for two open spots. Since Newark/Smyrna would still be tied after the .650 tie-breaker, do you continue to the .500 tie-breaker, or start back at the top for a two-way tie? Newark wins the former, Smyrna wins the later (head-to-head).

The forecast is calling for rain in Middletown all afternoon. It would be a real shame if Middletown misses an opportunity to pick up those 3 points through no fault of their own with the protest. I haven't done the math, but I can't image they get in at 10-7.
Tie breakers if needed:

Central, Smyrna, Newark

1. No clear head to head

Therefore if Poly beat Laurel, but loses to Mtown....Central would win out over Newark and Smyrna for final spot
Therefore if Poly beats Mtown (mtown is out) .....Central and Newark would win out over Smyrna

My head hurts....

Guess I'm confused with "Smyrna can't get in". With the Poly win today they have 53 points by my count. On the Newark / Sussex Central/ Smyrna deal, Smyrna beat Newark 5-4 on April 11th and beat Sussex central 10-4 on April 16th. Isn't that "clear head to head" ???

Guess I'm confused with "Smyrna can't get in". With the Poly win today they have 53 points by my count. On the Newark / Sussex Central/ Smyrna deal, Smyrna beat Newark 5-4 on April 11th and beat Sussex central 10-4 on April 16th. Isn't that "clear head to head" ???

Now you're really going to make OS42's head hurt. I'm sure that he was thinking, as I was, that the 3 teams didn't all play each other, so you can't compare head-to-head. But even if Newark played Central, that game couldn't change the fact that Smyrna beat them both. I'm glad I'm not on that committee.

I believe if there are 3 teams tied for a spot, they must have all played each other for that tie-breaker to come into play. Once a tie is broken between three teams, if a tie still exists between two teams, tie breakers revert back to
1) Head to Head
2) Common Opponents
Etc., Etc.

Safe to say Smyrna is rooting for Polytech tomorrow

I am almost 100% certain that when using the tiebreaker scenerio of head to head with more than 2 team, all teams MUST have played each other so even though Team3 beat teams 1 &2, it is disregarded since 1 and 2 didn't play. Now ironically when i looked up the tourney rulebook from a previous year...for conference tiebreakers it is more descriptive and clearly states that all teams must play each other. But when it gets to "POINTS" tie breakers it just briefly states "HEAD to HEAD"...and thats it. My assumption is that the intention is the same for the various tiebreakers.

But what i'm not sure about is that as Touchthemall states, since Central clearly wins the .650 tiebreaker...does at that point the tiebreaker scenerio start back over from the top again between just Smyrna and Newark (where Smyrna wins head to head)...or does it continue on to the .500 tiebreaker because Smyrna and Newark where tied at the .650 tiebreaker and we need another team. In that case Newark wins.

I understand that the three teams involved in a tie breaker are required to have played each other to begin using the stated criteria but I hope a little common sense prevails here. If Smyrna has beaten both Newark and Central, the fact that those two teams haven't played each other it shouldn't matter. If it were a round robin situation in which each team only beat one of the other two, then I could see common opponents, point differential, etc. coming into play. The current scenario (if Smyrna , Newark, and Central are indeed tied in points) seems relatively simple and obvious...Smyrna should get the nod.

Last edited:
Tie breakers if needed:

Central, Smyrna, Newark

1. No clear head to head

My head hurts....

Unfortunately, these calculations are incorrect too. Smyrna also has 12 games with opponents now at a .500 record, not the 11 as stated. So, the wait goes on. Just hope the selection Committee can figure it all out correctly !!

Regardless of how this pans out for the last couple spots, this has the makings to be one heck of a tournament. A lot of parity this year.

DE Sussex...i agree, it should be fun...

If my numbers are correct....these matchups could be set...

#9 St Georges @ #8 Appo (interesting, Did Not Play this year)
#10 Cape @ #7 Tech (rematch...Cape embarrassed Tech 10-0)
#11 TH @ #6 Archmere (rematch...Arch won 7-0 about a week ago)
#12 DMA @ #5 Dover (DMA was 2-0 against Downstate this year - Poly, Milford)
#13 MT P @ #4 Hodgson (rematch...Mt P won 11-4)
#14 ??? @ #3 Caravel
#15 ??? @ #2 Sallies
#16 Milford @ #1 St Marks (St Marks 8-0 against Downstate this year)

Umpires at the field at Middletown. It's pouring. Batter up!!!

Asking the tournament committee to let them play tomorrow. They are meeting today at 5:00.

DE Sussex...i agree, it should be fun...

If my numbers are correct....these matchups could be set...

#9 St Georges @ #8 Appo (interesting, Did Not Play this year)
#10 Cape @ #7 Tech (rematch...Cape embarrassed Tech 10-0)
#11 TH @ #6 Archmere (rematch...Arch won 7-0 about a week ago)
#12 DMA @ #5 Dover (DMA was 2-0 against Downstate this year - Poly, Milford)
#13 MT P @ #4 Hodgson (rematch...Mt P won 11-4)
#14 ??? @ #3 Caravel
#15 ??? @ #2 Sallies
#16 Milford @ #1 St Marks (St Marks 8-0 against Downstate this year)

Mother Nature 1...Middletown 0. Really stinks that the Cavs didn't get a shot to make the tourney because of the rain today. They had to win, I know, but I feel bad for the Seniors who never played in a tournament getting their hopes up for nothing. What a shame.

ADVERTISEMENT