ADVERTISEMENT

Public schools Vs. Private Schools

Jan 20, 2015
After attending about 8 playoff games I've been asked and I wonder myself has the private school community completely separated itself from the public schools? It took a technical school with 8 seniors to give everything they had to beat a young Sanford team, and then lost to a sallies team with an elite player and what seemed to be far less talent. Private schools not only can acquire talent but coaching as well.

Fanofthegame51- There are a number of reason why the private
school hold on athletics is so prevalent.

1st- the educational system is more structured in
a way that the majority of the kids that go to these school have aspiration of
going to college. So these schools prepare them for that. And the majority of
the parents are paying for these kids to school. And its gives the impression
that the parents are lot more in tuned to their kid's education. It's not
saying that the public school parent aren't. but when you're paying that bill you're
really going to make sure your child is attending all there classes and more
focused to get your money's worth

2nd-Well this one is hard. The public school
system just isn't what it used to be as far behaviors in the classrooms and how
they handled them. And how that can affect a kids learning when the teacher is
trying to teach and you have kids throwing things, yelling, or whatever could
happen in the classroom where the teacher cannot teach the lesson plan. And what
some people don't know that public schools have a higher percentage of kids
that need one on one assistance in order to learn. All school have them please
believe. But it is higher in public schools.

3rd- and this is the biggest one for me. A lot of
the private schools don't have a lot of conference games or any at all. So
there requirement for DIAA is to play at least 10 games of instate games and
then they can play the rest out of state. In the case of caravel they don't
have any conference games. Now those schools can travel and play possibly more exposier
games than say Newark who would have to satisfy their conference first before
scheduling those out of state games. Sorry I would send my kid to one of those
knowing that based on their scheduling each year a college could get glimpse of
me playing.

So if I was a parent that couldn't afford a private school,
then I would look at tech school, or honestly the best public school that is
not a tech school is A.I, and Concord High school as far as education and sports. So gone are the days
where the public schools will be able to compete in these sports and not just
basketball based on some these issues. Some schools are excluded at times like
the Newark, William Penn, and maybe a few downstate teams based on the sport or the times they will have put together some talent that wont transfer out. This year looks like mount pleasant seems to be the public school for now. But the parity is off where there could be a good talent across the board and all the schools
have a decent chance of competing for a chip in any sport. In my day you have
to figure out what school was losing people in order to go there and get time
in the sport you wanted to play. Now it is so many you can choose from to play
for.

This post was edited on Justabasketballfan

This post was edited on 3/16 2:29 PM by Justabasketballfan

Well since we're being honest about it at private schools you can recruit as well... The DIAA has made it hard w/ transfer rules & schools are selectively letting kids choice to there school now so the easiest way to play w/ ur AAU buddies is to go private or votech...in philly if your coach unexpectedly gets fired or decides to move on your not penalized for leaving that school but in DE you are which causes conflict as well....concord by far has the best public school track record as far as basketball goes but the rest of them can no longer compete!!!

So how do we even things out or try to create a level playing field? another issue is the upstate downstate basketball parody. IMO upstate kids have more opportunities and facilities to work on skills and grow as athletes. In the summer it has become increasingly hard for kids to get into a gym and work out, practice and things of that nature downstate. Private school kids tend to come from better financial situations so parents can afford trainers and those type things. No shade to that because its great, but I've seen plenty of talent downstate that if they had some offseason opportunities could turn into something and they simply fall off. is that far fetched?

Overall as far as talent goes this kids have become lazy...they need a gym to workout in but in my day we worked out at my local park 6:30am every morning now you see nothing but geese walking the courts in the am during the summer lol!!! Social networks & videos games are distracting these kids from there goals...last season we we had at least 5 kids signed from DE or formerly played DE HS ball before the season started this year only one, let's wake up!!!

its been like that for years Fanofgame? Sallies avg's 5 State championships a yr. in 2014 they had 7. its gonna get much worse now in Basketball. Some recruits who would normally go to Sanford are now going to go to Salesianum. If you play basketball and you dont wanna go to a small HS and want to go to a Large HS with Big time Football its a good alternative. Both schools are excellent choices for Academics. Public schools havent won a soccer title in like 25yrs or something stupid like that until they split to D-1.D-2 last yr . If they didnt spilt they wouldnt have won that title. Dont see it changing anytime soon.
This post was edited on 3/16 3:53 PM by 1superfan

One would have to think a kid who wants to play football and basketball at a high level that Sals would top the list of choices as being the only Private D1 left. If that doesnt work you would probablly look to D-2 privates like Caravel, St Marks, St E, or one of the D2 techs, HVT, Howard or St Georges.. but I agree AI and Concord will be solid choices as well if you want to stay d1.. Well Middletown also if you live close enough..

One of the benefits of going to the smaller schools is you get a chance to play right away.. I think Sanford will continue to draw some good basketball talent of kids who are soley focused on basketball... If a school such as polly could bolster their football program then they would really take control down their.. JMHO...

Tech schools really don't have the stigma academically like they used to due to all the technollogy classes offered now.. St Marks dropping to D2 will have a pretty big effect for Sals I believe..pariticuarly now that they have a legit hoop program with a young rising star coach..look for Sals to have some 6'2, 6,3 legit WR's roaming the halls soon
wink.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/16 4:11 PM by ravensrooster2

whats changed is basketball only kids who would once go to Sanford will be enrolling in Salesianum. 1000 kids vs 200 kids. youll see that starting next year. plus your Kids who would normally be going to St Marks will be going to Sals because of the D-1 D-2 thing. Trust me kids noticed 2 Freshman this year playing substantial roles. or should I say their parents..haha

Kids like what is HOT and NEW, Salesianum basketball is HOT and NEW

They have atleast 5 top tier (DE) c/o 2019 solely basketball kids coming in next year

Not to mention this years team is losing 7 seniors

Sanford must be being stingy with the financial aide

Like I sad before Sallies basketball program will roll with Haley at the helm.. I have watched him coach for three years now.. 1 semi-final and back to back championships for school who was never won a ship...Granted yes he had some talent but many schools have talent.. . He has NCAA coach written all over him.. It won't be long before the NCAA comes calling... The Sals will enjoy the ride but he reminds me of guys like Brad Stevens ( formally of Butler) this new breed of young coaches who come up from high school to a Mid-Major and land big money jobs. Its not like it used to be where you had to be a college assistant under a Dean Smith or Coach K. to make it.. Point being I see him moving up very soon.. as he should..

This post was edited on 3/16 8:30 PM by ravensrooster2

Semi's first year and back to back... Not quarters. If you knew him you wouldn't say that. He's not going anywhere. Its just starting to be fun.

Originally posted by 1superfan:
Semi's first year and back to back... Not quarters. If you knew him you wouldn't say that. He's not going anywhere. Its just starting to be fun.
You are right I don't know him.. but I know he is an up and comer and will have big money offers for college in the near future. No one in the High School realm of things would suggest he not see what he can become or deny him that... even Sallies fans.. He is young and talented...

RR...they lost to Sanford at the Bob three yes ago. Then Howard beat Sanford in the final
I corrected it.. I thought so but looked back on website for sports and miscalculated no big deal the point remains the same..

With the right coach salesianum could win every sport. I still feel like they would be winning baseball championships if coach Newell was still there

With the right coach salesianum could win every sport. I still feel like they would be winning baseball championships if coach Newell was still there
They have the largest enrollment of boys in the state as well as draw from surrounding states .. why shouldn't they? The numbers are hugely in their favor of course coaching would seal the deal... silly statement in my opinion.. Although they have what most consider the best Lax coach in the state yet they lost to Cape last year.. so sometimes the players and desire make the difference so there are no absolutes when it comes to sports..

Absoluttley Sallies numbers, reputation and coaching will have them in contention every year and in every boys sport but its no guarantee they win a championship ...

This post was edited on 3/16 8:46 PM by ravensrooster2

This post was edited on 3/16 8:50 PM by ravensrooster2

Not the largest..Penn,cr,dover have more boys.my point is coaching is everything. Look what Corey is doing with Sanford wrestling. If they had football they would have bigs and they would win it all

This post was edited on 3/16 8:52 PM by 1superfan

Not the largest..Penn,cr,dover have more boys.my point is coaching is everything. Look what Corey is doing with Sanford wrestling. If they had football they would have bugs and they would win it all
Academically ellgble boys? Corey is bringing in his tyrant guys .... not trying to discredit coaching at all... Of course these kids coming into the privates are coached uo coming in and while there,,, just like your baseball comment CA and ST Marks are getting a ton of talented kids based on rep and coaching in place.. Sure if Sallies brings in a baseball coach who has ties in the travel youth leagues it would take no time for them to dominate as those kids gravitate there..

Yes coaching is very important but coaching alone wont win.. you need the talent along with it.. just like talent alone won't win... Coaching attracts talent and talent makes coaching look better .. its hand in hand... Its not like Corey is just taking a bunch of Sanford kids who havent wrestled before and making them stud wrestlers... these are kids who followed him there from his youth program or his reputation...

This post was edited on 3/16 9:04 PM by ravensrooster2

That's the key my man "ties to youth programs" good points RR..have a good night
GNight "ties to youth programs" yes but you have to be a good coach as well... not a daddy ball coach.. just saying...

Let me just put this out there. How about having 1 school champion a public and private school in each sport? This way there would be no doubt, each year a champion would be crowned. No question, just a result. Break it down any way you want, but in the end those in the private schools would choose their team. They would go up against the Public School representative in Delaware.

OR

We could just keep blaming each other.

IKEY its not that big of a deal.. Most states have 5 or more state champions... state or regional... DE is small I get that.. but its one of very few who only have one or two and only one in a in a few sports.. In the grand scheme of things outside of the DE borders no one really cares and the kids that win a DE D1 or D2 ship dont care , they are happy with their rings... Its just forum fodder, old timers and malcontents that care its very few of them... Believe me my sons D2 State ring is sacred to him and none of this D1 or D2 and recruiting and whining meaning nothing to him... just food for thought..

Point being one persons comment on this forum is not indicative of common belief ... Its just 1 person giving their view not anything close to a consensus or popular belief

This post was edited on 3/17 8:02 AM by ravensrooster2

Originally posted by ravensrooster2:

You are right I don't know him.. but I know he is an up and comer and will have big money offers for college in the near future. No one in the High School realm of things would suggest he not see what he can become or deny him that... even Sallies fans.. He is young and talented...
This is starting to have genuine entertainment value. I think Coach Haley has 2 championships for 2 years as head coach. I respect the hell out of him but we are not in John Wooden territory yet. He would get a big laugh out of your "big money college offers" remark.

Here is where his mind is. He is looking in the mirror and saying "how did I go 10-10 with a team that just won 3 games in 5 days against teams that were cumulatively 60-6.?" It works both ways here. Coach basically said this in his interviews after the championship game.

Please excuse me for adding to the entertainment value. I am old and it is time to go to bed.

This post was edited on 3/16 9:48 PM by Chesdel

Originally posted by Chesdel:
Originally posted by ravensrooster2:

This is starting to have genuine entertainment value. I think Coach Haley has 2 championships for 2 years as head coach. I respect the hell out of him but we are not in John Wooden territory yet. He would get a big laugh out of your "big money college offers" remark.

Here is where his mind is. He is looking in the mirror and saying "how did I go 10-10 with a team that just won 3 games in 5 days against teams that were cumulatively 60-6.?" It works both ways here. Coach basically said this in his interviews after the championship game.

Please excuse me for adding to the entertainment value. I am old and it is time to go to bed.

This post was edited on 3/16 9:48 PM by Chesdel
I was projecting into the future "not this year or the next" just based on watching him and others in the past ... thats all ..I personally think he has that potential.. And of course he will be humble and have all that coach speak..

It's just my opinion in watching him as I believe college offers are not that far way... No reason to jump the shark from my comments to mult- million dollar major offers .. I made it quite clear the progression was through mid-majors on up.

This post was edited on 3/16 10:01 PM by ravensrooster2

anyone have insight on the 6'6" sophomore guard listed on the JV roster, saw the jv a few times and seen no such person

Agree Haley will soon (if not already) get offers to coach at.a higher level. Winning back to back to will do that.

I don't see him leaving Sallies. His father taught there. He has taught there for years. He was JV coach for many years. Sallies is a family.

Same thing with Waterman at Sanford. Can't imagine he hasn't gotten offers. But he is in a great situation.

As far as public vs private, it comes and goes. 3 years since Sanford won. Caravel has fallen off the map. Tatnall had some good years, Wright's a good coach, but nothing lately.

On public side, Penn had bounce back year, Mount looks like favorite next year. Dover looks good.

It comes and goes...

Mount looks like the favorite in what? cause dover, st. elizabeths, Smyrna, and Sanford all look better next year already.

Just to get back to the main subject here. Talent + coaching
+ parents involvement+ education= a winning program. Gone are the days when a
talented kid would go to a school and make their own mark and draw other talented kids to the team with them.
For the most part everybody wants to a super team. But a kid and/or a parents
point " I want to send my kid to good school and that will allow my kid to play
and have a chance at winning and a college to see them. Unfortunately all that
combination can only be done at a private vs a public based on the structure of
Delaware sports programs. My view on how to make some changes:

1st - Quality coaches: there are several teams
that I know for a fact hire coach because it's a friend of the AD or staff
member. They have no insight to the kids, there not attending youth leagues and
there not talking to parents so that a parent will feel secure in paying their
money for their school or sending them to that school and having their child
coached by them. -And on that note let's cut the crap there is a form of
recruiting out there but it not like money is being exchanged or anything like.
They are promising kids time a chance to hit the floor sooner as freshman or
whatever the arrangement is. It's happening but I believe it is totally harmful
to a certain extent. That could help with the parity.

2nd- I think the schools that are in big
conferences and have to do home and away games with each of the schools should
not be obligated to both home and away. Flight a and b are big conferences. If you
play home and away for all of the schools, your schedule is darn near full with
maybe two to three games to fill in. So if you happen to have some talent that
you have put together you should only have to play any of the schools just once
a year. I heard a rumor that one year when Sanford was really good and lowly
high school tower hill did not want to play two games with them because they
did not want to endure getting blown out. Delaware has to get a little more
progressive in allowing teams to schedule more games outside of Delaware to
draw coaches to here. That will take some of the heat off of a kid solely
depending on AAU to find a college. I mean sallies did not have a great record
and they played some out of state games and win a championship in Delaware. It's
not rocket science. Give that appeal to the public schools.

These are just a
couple of ideas I think would affect some of the schools. And give them a chance
at competing not just in basketball but all sports. It maybe still be off because
of a child's choice of team and the education back ground but some of these
schools have fighting chance. Kids and
parents are not dumb. If you can coach and do the right for their child and set
them up in schedule where they can be seen then you have cut some of the
battle. Concord, A.I, and mount pleasant
have the best fighting chance right now that could change in a few years.

The mystery 6-6 sophomore guard may be a Chinese exchange student. See the team photo at Salliessports

Rooster,

I've read your posts for a long time in the Football forum and now I see you posting in the Wrestling and BBall forums. I love your insights, always well thought out. What I like most is that you really make an effort to see both sides of the argument while still having your own opinion. I know you're fairly new to the wrestling talk. A little advice, don't get too caught up in the Cory hate and don't believe everything the haters tell you. 4 of the starters on the Sanford rosters are Tyrant Club originals. Another was bumped up to the roster because of an injury. So the other 7 are either from other clubs or have been coached up or both. The reason I know this is because I thought the same thing you did, so I looked into it and was surprised.

Tyrant has far more wrestlers spread across DE than any other youth club/feeder program. As a matter of fact 2 of your Caravel boys spent considerable time at Tyrant and 1 still does. In addition your State Champ spent at least a year on the Tyrant mats in middle school.

CYO Football and BBall kids pretty much go to St Marks and Sallies. Smyrna Little Wrestlers go to Smyrna, (all 200 of them). MOT Youth Football players go to Middletown, unless they are not studs, then they go to Appo (weird huh?) Young Rider Wrestlers go to CR. Henolpen Hammer wrestlers go to CR (unless they're not studs or can't make the trip, then they get spread around). It goes through every sport. I know my daughter was playing Summer league Field Hockey with her High School teammates prior to enrolling. Coach wasn't directly coaching, but she was involved. So coaches that don't get involved, get what they earn.

So maybe it has nothing to do with Private vs Public. It has to do with time. The winning programs are taking the time to get directly involved or aligning themselves with a good feeder programs. Maybe Private school coaches are afforded more time???

Worn down.. Sorry if I was misunderstood about my Coach Corey reference..No hate at all from me. I am fan of Coach Corey and what he does.. I enjoyed watching him coach when I saw him work with the kids when the Tyrant wrestling program was at Red Lion.. Its only natural some of his kids will follow him or goto the HS where he is coaching.. Certainly nothing wrong with that as I also suspect Sanford will coninue to build a very solid wresttling program with him at the helm... Point was successful programs have a combination of great coaching and great athletes..

This post was edited on 3/17 2:50 PM by ravensrooster2

Rooster
Never felt hate from you on any topic. I just know from experience that people like to talk, and stories tend to grow more and more ridiculous as they're passed down. There's a lot of noise on the subject.

Justabasketballfan

I agree with you 100%. Just my experience here downstate that it boils down to; not always, but more often most parents, school administrators and coaches as a whole don't care enough! There will be some people who will defend the status quo no matter how much proof you show them otherwise. Until this changes nothing will change. If Polytech couldn't win this year with their height advantage and all their seniors, then no team downstate will win period, sorry Dover!

There's no need to hash out all the same issues every year:
1) Poor coaches, teachers who are coaches just for extra money, good old boy hiring practices ..
2) Lack of involvement in youth leagues, no feeder programs
3) Lack support from parents to get the kids evolved at a early age.
4) Kids who are lazy and rather play video games instead of working out or working on their skills.

From a public school guy, I have no issue with the privates. Public's need to step up and stop complaining. There are a few exceptions like Middletown football or Smyrna's wrestling program, good support from the community, great feeder programs, they find better out of state competition to compete with (Blair, McDonough national ranked teams
). Are you listening Poly? Results don't lie! It's not a secret formula or magic on how to build a successful High School sports program. Yes, there are some things out of the public's control that makes it harder (DIAA rules, socioeconomic issue, etc..) But that's life. . .

This post was edited on 3/17 4:20 PM by Simmonj4618

A little Hype Superfan! I doubt Sallies will get 12 top of the top 15 8th graders. They have a few going now and the rumor mill is spinning the facts! Its true their recent success will draw kids initially. As stated in previous posts Sals is both hot and new.

I agree parents and to a lesser extent coaches need to do more off season so DE HS basketball thrives both public and private...The kids finding success with bball are focused and work hard to achieve!

This post was edited on 3/17 8:27 PM by FoulShots

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT