ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P. Biff Lee

Chesdel

D1AA Prospect
Oct 3, 2003
Hope this link works to Kevin Tresolini's article on Biff Lee who passed away yesterday.

Biff was a football DE HS FB official and a colleague of vertical stripes. A classic Biff moment was at the tri scrimmage at SC a couple of years ago. He actually came up and sat with the Big S fans for part of the scrimmage.

Biff was a Laurel loyalist to the bone. About a decade ago Laurel was a like a 16 seed beat the Big S in the first round of the baseball tournament. He never let me forget it.

Rest in Peace, my friend.

Biff Lee

Chesdel thank you for sharing this. The Delmarva Football Officials Association and the Delaware high school football community has endured a great loss. Biff was the senior active member of our association. I considered him to be one of my mentors having great influence upon my officiating career. When you worked a game with Biff, expectations were high. He demanded your best. His pregames were simple yet effective and put the crew at ease. I learned as a young official if Biff shook your hand after a game and told you good job, you had truly done a good job. He was brutally honest in his post game conferences and his ratings. If you had a bad night, you were held accountable for it, but he always explained his position, and made suggestions on how to get better. On the rare occasion that Biff made a mistake, he owned it, we discussed it and we all improved from it. In a time when many officials publications are writing extensively about how you as an official are perceived by coaches and their staffs, Coach Collick's remarks hit the nail on the head. I think most of all I'll miss those mid week phone calls...."Biffer here, we're going to Tech Friday night, I'll pick you up at 6:15".

Vert .. he will missed by many. I remember when you brought me into the association and we had our first scrimmage at Tech .. he didn't know me from Adam, but yet he took the time to explain what I needed to look for as well as my positioning before, during and after the play. When we walked off the field, I'll never forget his words " young man, you keep up the hard work and you'll be on the varsity field before you know it" that's when he shook my hand and turned to you and said " we may have something here, he's green but we may have something". I've kept those words as my motivation every year. I considered him as my mentor as we all did, not only on the football field but in life.

I remember when Biff sat with us after the tri- scrimmage a few years ago. We also chatted with him before and after some games after that. He was a true gentleman and I was glad to have met him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT