13. Milford
14. Charter
15. DMA
16. S. Central
17. Polytech
18. Lake
19. Conrad
20. Mt Pleasant

I stayed with St. Marks in the number 1 spot this week. I'm sure some may not agree and I welcome your comments. Good luck to all the Players this week!

Why would you have St. Mark's ahead of Caravel when they just beat them. Caravel lost yesterday 2-1 to Neumann-Goretti which no team in Delaware would have any shot at beating.

1- Caravel
2- St Marks
3- Hodgson

Think Hodgson would struggle against most of the top 10 without Walter on the mound. The rest looks OK. Might move Appo ahead of Archmere and maybe move up Mount and Conrad a little.

CHS89.........Caravel is a good team but please play more in state teams so we can gauge their performance fairly. Caravel got beat by Charter a couple weeks ago so I feel confident the top 5 teams (maybe top 10) would be competitive with NG. I'm not taking anything away from Charter because that was a great win for their program.
This post was edited on 4/19 8:27 PM by gone*country

It would be nice for Caravel to play more in-state teams, especially for parents trying to get to games during the week. No excuses but CA didn't have Fraley or Bilous in the lineup against Charter. They made some mistakes in the bottom of the 7th and it cost them. Three out of their oos teams so far would be top 5 teams in Delaware. Neumann-Goretti would easily be 1. They play a tough schedule which gets them playoff ready.

Btw gone*country...NG is ranked #2 in their division in all of PA. Not Delaware...Pennsylvania.

NG is a very good team as is indicated by their record/ranking in PA. Caravel played them very well. One, if not both of NG's runs the other night were unearned. Grant it, Caravel didn't hit very well against them, but Marenco held his own against a big offensive team and Fraley came in and completely shut them down. A balk and passed ball allowed NG to score their first run. Had it not been for that, they were two evenly matched teams. Not sure how many of Delaware's "Top 10" would do against them. Obviously if you had a Walters or Peluse on the mound you could make a case.

My understanding is that he will just be hitting this season. I can't see him risking his collegiate career at CC.

I have to agree with CHS89 regarding Caravel and St Marks. I still see Caravel #1, St Marks #2. In my opinion, I can't see having those two closely ranked and not consider the head to head result. If you want to make an argument that Hodgson is #1, with Caravel #2 and St Marks #3, i could buy that i suppose. I don't necessarily agree with it, but i could buy it. I think you have to give some credit to the OOS opponents Caravel is playing. You can't punish for it. At a minimum you have to give them credit for beating Riverdale & playing such a good game with NG. But a loss is a loss, so i can see discounting that as well.

As for CHS's comment regarding NG, i do agree they are very good and that they would certainly be in Delaware's top 5, if not #1. And i get your point regarding GONE COUNTRY not giving credit to Caravel. BUT lets not totally discount Delaware baseball. NG was good...but I would put my money on Hodgson (w/ Walter on the mound) over Caravel and NG. I also would like Appo's chances with Garret on the mound. I would also think that Sallies with Hinton on the mound would give them a run, Arch with Voge and maybe Mtown with Peluse all would have a chance. Sorry if i'm leaving out a few. But overall i would say our top 5 would all be very competitive if not beat NG. Our 6 through 10 would give them a run if they played their best ball.

COUNTRY - thanks for the Rankings. I know its not easy to do rankings and you can never make everybody happy. But at least we have something thats thought out and your willing to defend your ranking, even if we don't agree with it completely. I'm actually glad its different than what i have, it gives us something to discuss.

Oldskool I respectfully disagree. With Walter or Peluse on the mound you might keep it close or maybe squeak out a win vs. NG but that would be the only way a team from DE would have a shot to beat them. I was told they pitched their 3rd or 4th pitcher against us and he was mid 80's. The right fielder they brought in to pitch was being scouted by the Phillies at the game and he came in throwing just as hard. Their third baseman threw across the diamond like no kid I've ever seen at the high school level. Unless you have seen them you really can't comment. Fraley kept CA in the game with an outstanding performance on the mound. Up and down the lineup no team in DE could match their size and strength. I've seen most of the top teams in DE this year and am just being honest.

CHS you don't have to respectfully disagree because i think we mostly agree. I was stretching a little saying our top 10 would be competitive (i would like to think so). Though i was thinking that Appo's bats and Garretts' arm along with their best game would have a shot as well. I didn't realize that NG was throwing their #3 or #4. But on the flip side, i don't think Caravel is as good this year as they were last year.

I am curious to see Hodgson at Caravel on Thursday. I'm hoping Walter's throws. Walter is dealing against some decent teams like Appo, St G, Mtown, Dma. Walter shut Caravel and Bilous down last year if i remember correctly but Caravel had a late game comeback. But would love to see him against NG, Riverdale etc. to really gauge his stuff and would also like to see Hodgson's bats against formidable pitching. Hodgson against those Appo, St G, Mtown and DMA has averaged less than 4 runs per game. Of course with Walter pitching thats more than enough i guess. Though they did put up 9 against St Marks. If i was a betting man and Walter is pitching, i give Hodgson the edge over Caravel this year.

Just guessing but I would think Walter will pitch Thursday vs. CA. Hodgson plays Concord Tuesday and they will most likely pitch someone else. Not sure about who CA will pitch. They play Cape on Wednesday and its Carney's turn to start. They could pitch Silan and Marenco against Cape and have Carney and Fraley for Hodgson but that's just speculation. Should be a good game. Last year CA won on a two-run outfield error by Hodgson.

News Journal (4/20)

1. Caravel (6-2) Prev. 1

2. St. Mark’s (6-2) 2

3. Hodgson (8-1) 4

4. Sussex Tech (7-1) NR

5. Dover (5-1) 3

Reactions: DESPORTSFANFROMPA
Just guessing but I would think Walter will pitch Thursday vs. CA. Hodgson plays Concord Tuesday and they will most likely pitch someone else. Not sure about who CA will pitch. They play Cape on Wednesday and its Carney's turn to start. They could pitch Silan and Marenco against Cape and have Carney and Fraley for Hodgson but that's just speculation. Should be a good game. Last year CA won on a two-run outfield error by Hodgson.

I would love to see a Carney vs Walters match-up at 4:15pm, then off to Frawley for Reich vs Hinton at 7:00pm.

Reactions: DESPORTSFANFROMPA
Carney did throw against Cape. Looks like Caravel was up 14-1 and made a lot of changes. Cape came back 14-7 so Caravel switched back the changes in the field. Most likely it looks like Fraley tomorrow. They should of started him against NG because he shut them down after coming in. 1st start should be interesting vs. Walter.

Marenco started the game against NG and pitched 3+ solid innings. Both NG runs were unearned. I wouldn't say it was a bad decision to start him.

ADVERTISEMENT