4. Hodgson- beat a descent st. George team
5. CR- played two top 3 teams and lost, but beat a descent S Tech team
6. St. George- lost 2-1 to Hodgson
7. S. Tech- lost to CR, but beat a descent Smyrna team
8. Sallies- 1 lost to caravel, will be tested again this week with Appo
9. S. Central- Beat a descent Lake team
10. Archmere

on the bubble: Appo, Lake, Milford, Cape, Smyrna

Just my opinion. I welcome any comments.

Gone Country....

Its hard to argue with the that top ten. I have the same top 4 and slightly different order to 5-10.

Weather isn't looking good this week for baseball. Monday looks good but only 2 games, but greater than 50% chance of rain every other day through Friday. Cmon baseball gods...lets play some ball this week.

Highlighted games this week (if the weather cooperates):

Monday

Concord plays two against Newark and Glasgow to get on track after 0-2 start

Tuesday
St Georges @ DMA

Wed

Tech @ Wood
Smyrna @ Poly

Thurs
Cape @ Lake
Newark @ Tech
Hodgson @ Mtown
DMA@ Archmere
Appo @ Sallies
St E @ St Marks

Friday
Mt St Michaels @ Sallies
Tiger Classic Starts (St Georges, Ai, St E, Dickinson)

Saturday
CR @ Archmere
Sallies @ Central
Appo @ Cape
Tiger Classic

Sunday
Tiger Classic Championship
St Marks vs Conrad at (WU) Wilson Field

descent - an action of moving downward, dropping, or falling

decent - of an acceptable standard; satisfactory

oldskool... I hope the weather cooperates. Most teams are not designed to play 3-4 games a week. There are some good games scheduled and will be exciting to see the outcome.

@top20........dissent- a difference of opinion...to argue.............. Please share your top 10

I agree with your top 3, though I haven't seen Dover yet. I think these 3 are a cut above the rest, but none are powerhouses this year and all of them can be beaten.

Hodgson can beat anyone with their ace on the mound, but will struggle against good teams when he's in the outfield. SGT is solid.

We should get a better read on CR over the next 2 weeks. Archmere, Milford, Lake and Middletown coming up.

Dover is the early favorite in Henlopen North. Is anyone going to challenge Milford for the South?

Archmere helped themselves with the early win over Conrad, but I'm still thinking that Diamond State is wide open.

I expected better starts from Smyrna, Conrad and Newark. Still early for the first two, but Newark has dug a deep hole.

Middletown hasn't faced a top team, but they've taken care of business. I will reserve judgement until I see them against Appo.

Looks like it could be another year where it will come down to the last game and the crazy points system to see who makes the tournament.

Touchthemall...

I agree with your comments. Though I do think Dover deserves that 3 spot for now...especially with the win over CR 6-0. Probably not a strong 3 and i'm thinking they won't keep it there as the season progresses. At this point have to ding Hodgson a little losing to St Marks. I do think Hodgson is better that Dover, especially with their ace on the mound. But this is a tough time for rankings because you have to go with results as of right now and some teams have weaker schedules to start while others have tough schedules to start. Thats why a team like hodgson or a Sallies is tough to judge at this point. Sallies has a 5-1 over Glasgow (who is 1-4 so far) and a 4-2 loss to the top team in the state. Personally i think they are a top 5 team, possibly #3, but its hard to judge a team with a loss.

I'm looking forward to the Appo/Sallies game this week if it happens. Both teams lost a good game to a top 5 team. Appo has three dominating performances since their loss to Hodgson. Granted it was over Concord, Newark and Delmar, all teams that look pretty weak this year. But they really took care of business outscoring them 31-3.

I'm worried that Diamond State may be back to mediocre. Arch is definetely weaker than last year, Conrad got handled by St Georges, didn't do well against a weaker Archmere team and barely beat Tatnall 1-0. DMA beat up St Thomas More, beat DEPSS 7-0 and 3-0 against Glasgow. Curious to see DMA against St Georges and Archmere this week if it happens.

Middeltown is another team i'm curious about. 3-0 but against Penn, Dickinson & Concord. Mtown has Hodgson this week, that should tell us something. In fact over a 12 day period Mtown is scheduled to play Hodgson, Charter, Glasgow, Appo, CR & St Georges. I think we will have our answer on Mtown.

Smyrna's another interesting one. 2 one-run losses against Tech and Lake, then blowing out what we thought was at least a decent A.I. They still may be tough to figure out for awhile because they have Poly, Newark, Milford and Laurel coming up. We don't know what Poly and Milford really are yet, so it good be 4 wins or only two wins, but either way we still won't be sure about Smyrna i don't think until they play Central and Dover after that.

Milford at 4-0 hasn't been challenged but their next 2 scheduled games are against Smyrna & CR.

Originally posted by gone*country:

@top20........dissent- a difference of opinion...to argue.............. Please share your top 10
Great comeback Country, had me cracking up.

Oldskool, I like your comments. I think a lot of these teams are inconsistent so far because it's early and because they are only playing 1 game a week with this wet weather.

My best guess at the top 10 -

1 Caravel
2 St. Marks
3 Dover
4 Hodgson
5 Sallies
6 St. Georges
7 Archmere
8 Appo
9 CR
10 Milford

Concord loses again today to Glasgow 3-1. Coates (Glasgow) pitched complete game with 13 strikeouts and hit a home run.

@top20..........I'm glad I can make a few laugh now and then...this board helps break up the work day
3dsmile.r191677.gif

Touchall.........I agree that the top 3 are solid. the jury is still out on Hodgson and CR. and there is definitely parity from 5-16.

i also agree Dover is the front runner in the North, but believe Lake shares equal favoritism in the south with Milford.

Archmere is a good team. but they have not started anyone else, or as far as i know, thrown any one else at all. If voge pitches every game, hats off to him for carrying the team, but how good is the actual team when voge isn't on the mound. Will be interesting to see if Archmere as a team can play or if Joey Voge is simply carrying the team on the mound.

Originally posted by DEsportmaniac:
Archmere is a good team. but they have not started anyone else, or as far as i know, thrown any one else at all. If voge pitches every game, hats off to him for carrying the team, but how good is the actual team when voge isn't on the mound. Will be interesting to see if Archmere as a team can play or if Joey Voge is simply carrying the team on the mound.
Got a feeling Archmere will be 3-2 after this week. Games on Wednesday St Marks, Thursday DMA and Saturday CR. They probably will not pitch Voge against St Marks. Will save him for conference game vs DMA on Thursday.

The Independent teams aren't looking all that strong, but the top of the conference should be competitive. Just not enough strong players to be a threat to the top teams.

Archmere is probably the same, unless Voge is pitching. We learn a lot about them and DMA this week as DMA has St Georges today and Archmere Thursday. With Conrad struggling to score runs, the Diamond State Conference is wide open at the top too.

Appo vs Sallies today will be another telling game. How good is Appo and has Sallies really fallen so hard that they are just another good team. Seems like the only sport at the school that isn't a front runner year after year anymore.

Two games of note yesterday:
Appo 1 - Sallies 0
DMA 3 - SGT 2

Both "unranked" winners besting teams on country's Top 10. DMA could do that again with a win over Archmere, assuming they can get the game in this week. Things are getting interesting already.

Sals at 1-2 to start the season is a little bit of a surprise, but there certainly is no shame in losing close games to Appo & Caravel (2 playoff caliber teams). Though, Sals next game is against Sussex Central, so its certainly a possiblity of going 1-3.

I don't think the Sals fans need to panic though. There are a lot of winnable games (7 i count) left on their schedule (RLCA, St E, Newark Charter, Tower HIll, St E again, Sanford, IR). Not to mention games against Cape, Ai, Charter that i would probably have them favored to win as well.

Originally posted by oldskool42:
Sals at 1-2 to start the season is a little bit of a surprise, but there certainly is no shame in losing close games to Appo & Caravel (2 playoff caliber teams). Though, Sals next game is against Sussex Central, so its certainly a possiblity of going 1-3.

I don't think the Sals fans need to panic though. There are a lot of winnable games (7 i count) left on their schedule (RLCA, St E, Newark Charter, Tower HIll, St E again, Sanford, IR). Not to mention games against Cape, Ai, Charter that i would probably have them favored to win as well.
I agree that it's too early to panic, but with their schedule they won't be wracking up the bonus points, so wins will be critical.

Definitely can't panic, but with the downgraded schedule from years past..12 wins might not get them in. Lose to Central this weekend and you are looking at having to run the table of the games they are favored in and split the 4 games that are their most challenging(Smyrna, STM twice and STG)....that would get you 13 and probably safe.

ADVERTISEMENT