ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings 5/3

gone*country

Water boy
Mar 10, 2015
1. S. Tech 11-2 (beat Dover & Smyrna), losses to CR & Cape
2. Dover 9-2 (beat Smyrna, Appo & parkside), losses to S. Tech & P. Tech
3. Caravel 9-3 (beat Sallies, St. Marks & Hodson), losses to Central & Charter
4. St. Marks 10-2 (beat Archmere, Sallies, Appo & hodgson), losses to Caravel & Conrad
5. Hodgson 11-2 (beat Appo, St. George), losses to St. Marks & Caravel
6. Appo 10-3 (beat Sallies), losses to St. Marks, Dover & Hodgson
7. Sallies, 8-3 (beat St. George), losses to Caravel, Appo & St. Marks
8. Smyrna 10-4 (no top 10 wins), losses to S. Tech, Dover, Lake & St. Marks
9. Archmere 10-2 (no top 10 wins)
10. St. George 10-4 (no top 10 wins)
11. S. Central
12. P. Tech
13. Conrad
14. DMA
15. Milford
16. Charter/Cape/Lake, Middletown, W.Penn, Mt Pleasant

St. Mark's truly has the toughest schedule in the state so they may be the top team (time will tell). Looking forward to seeing them play against S. Tech & Dover in the next couple weeks. Anyway, this is how I see it and I'm sure others will have different opinions. Looking forward to hearing them.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL PLAYERS THIS WEEK!

Gone Country....we may have to change your name to to Gone Crazy....Holy moly...Just Kidding

First of all, thanks for the rankings. I appreciate your opinion. I hope this certainly sparks some conversation because it sure is a little controversial.

I feel like your just plain tired of Caravel and St Marks being up top the rankings. Heck, i don't blame you, because i would really like to see some different teams adorn the top spots. But jeez....

In my opinion i can't get past the fact that St Marks has 5 wins over Top Ten opponents and one loss to a top ten opponent. Thats six games out of 13 against top ten opponents, and they won 5 of them. Tech won 2 games over top ten opponents as well as Dover only 2 wins. Caravel, if you only take Delaware opponents, is 3-0 against top ten opponents. More than Dover and Tech. But thats a little unfair to not give Caravel some credit for the Riverdale win at least.

I think St Marks has a little better resume right now than Caravel because i would at least count Riverdale, NG & St Joe's in our top ten. That would give Caravel a 4-2 record against "top ten" team while St Marks' 5-1 against top ten teams. BUT, since their so close in my book, you obviously have to count the fact that Caravel beat St Marks.

Also, Caravel crushed Cape, while Cape crushed Tech. I realize that Caravel lost a close game to Central, but Tech barely beat Central.

I also think its a stretch to put Tech and Dover over Hodgson. Hodgson has just as many wins against top ten oppoenents as those two and has played more games against top ten opponents. Four of them. Their only two losses are against top 5 teams...while Tech and Dover each lost to teams not in my top ten.

So I would have my top 5 like this:

1 Caravel
2 St Marks
3 Hodgson
4 Tech
5 Dover

I think Appo & Archmere are right now a distant 6 & 7.

Thats just my opinion....

Last edited:
I would have to agree with CHS that nobody has had a tougher schedule than Caravel. When i look at the games played thus far against top ten teams:

St Marks 6 Top ten opponents (5-1) record
Cape 5 (1-4)
CR 5 (1-4)
Various 4 ( Hodg, Appo, Central, Mtown, IR, Ai, St E, Glasgow)

Caravel is at 3 if you only count in-state, but i would argue its at least 6 including Riverdale, NG & St Joes.

Now if i expand this out to games against my TOP 20 Teams....

CR 9 (3-6)
St Marks 8 (6-2)
Mtown 8 (4-4)
Central 8 (4-4)
Cape 8 (2-6)
IR 8 (1-7)
Arch 7 (6-1)
Hodg 7 (5-2)
Smyrna 7 (3-4)
Poly 7 (3-4)
A.I. 7 (1-6)

Caravel is at 5 if you only count in-state, but i would argue that its over 10 including Rvdle, PnChrt, Conw, Curly, NG, St Joes. So i would say toughest schedules so far:

Caravel & CR.

I would have to agree with CHS that nobody has had a tougher schedule than Caravel.

Caravel is at 5 if you only count in-state, but i would argue that its over 10 including Rvdle, PnChrt, Conw, Curly, NG, St Joes. So i would say toughest schedules so far:

Caravel & CR.

IMO, there are just too many variables and unknowns to say with any confidence just who has the toughest schedule. Conwell-Egan and Curley are both having down years. I doubt that Caravel will get any bonus points for either one, but I suppose you could make the case that they're as good as the DE Top 20. (I would give you Delbarton.) And for those who may confuse the two, Caravel played St. Joseph (NJ) on Saturday, not St. Joe's Prep (PA).

Looks like you're just looking at games played to date and not entire schedules, right?

Last edited:
oldskool..........I get a little crazy sometimes. Thanks for offering your opinion, but this is how I see the top 5. First, St. Mark's got beat by Caravel so that puts Caravel ahead of them. Hodgson got beat by St. Marks and Caravel so that eliminates them. Dover got beat by S. Tech, and has not played caravel, st marks or hodgson. I believe they would be close games and Dover could win two of the three. S. Tech beat Dover, but has not played caravel, st marks or hodgson. They play st Marks on Saturday so that should offer some realization. Anyway, I'm not hating on Caravel or st marks but Caravel got beat by s. central and we continue to hear how they beat or get beat by out of state teams who would whip everyone in Delaware? They are 4-2 in state with 2 losses to teams not in the top 10. So my question is why not S. tech or Dover in the #1 spot?

Country...i accept your premise that why not Tech/Dover at the top. But you mention that Caravel/St Marks both lost to teams not in the top 10, which i agree...but so did Tech/Dover. All beat teams in the top ten as well. So because there are positives and negatives for all the teams mentioned, i still come back to volume...St Marks & Caravel have beaten MORE top ten teams (in Delaware) and therefore i give both the nod over Dover/Tech at this point. I just think that is a HUGE fact...St Marks 5 wins over your top ten teams...Tech 2 wins over your top ten teams. Plus if you throw in the fact that Tech got 10-runned by a team you don't even have in your top 15....and got beat 9-2 by CR, i lean to Caravel and St Marks higher again. Caravel hasn't lost by more than 2 runs and St Marks got beat by 3 runs. Don't get me wrong, i got nothing against Tech/Dover, i generally route for publics...but see that the force is stronger with Caravel/St Marks. Until they play one another, we will be left with a friendly debate. (I sure wish others would chime in).

(I can't believe i'm arguing the case for two private schools)...yuk...8yaz will never forgive me...)

Let's not leave out Dover's statement win over Parkside (MD) on Saturday, 8-1. Not only did Parkside come into the came with a 16-1 record, but Dover faced their ace RHP Hunter Parsons who signed an NLI to pitch for Maryland, and is ranked in the top 3 of Maryland players by most recruiting services. Dover doing a great job representing Delaware high school baseball.

Gone Country....did you happen to see the NewsJournal rankings. They don't even have Sussex Tech in the top 5. Thats just crazy. They also have St Marks #1 and Caravel #2. I guess according to the News Journal we were both wrong. Haha.

Below is last years quarterfinal teams. Not one is as strong this year. Most are still the top teams this year. I think the championship is wide open this year.

St Marks
CR
Hodgson
AI
Archmere
Dover
Caravel
Smyrna

I do not think Tech and Dover should be 1 and 2 at this time.

Last edited:
NJ is just being lazy. This is the place to go for some good insight on the baseball rankings.

Oldskool....I just saw that. Maybe you should email them your stats and recaps of the games so they know what is going on....sounds like they shoot from the hip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT