ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings as of March 29 2015

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
I realize its too early to do rankings, but i didn't really do a "preseason Ranking", and we kind of need a starting point...at least in my mind.

No rocket science here... i started with the 16 playoff teams last year. Since some teams have played i did take that into consideration to adjust teams a little. But again, its mostly based on playoff performance last year still.

Feel free to comment...but its just for fun... I do want to get it "as right as possible" so the more input the better and i will try to adjust things accordingly going forward.

1. Caravel (1-0). Reigning champ and beat a good Riverdale team.
2. St Marks (3-0). Last year runner up; beat IR, St E and a pretty good CR team.
3. Dover (1-0). In semis last year, Beat Cape.
4. AI. Has not played yet, in semi finals last year.
5. Smyrna (1-0).. Beat Delmar pretty bad 12-1.
6. Hodgson (1-0). Beat a decent Appo team.
7. CR (1-1). Beat Tech 9-2 and lost a close one to St Marks.
8. Archmere (1-0). beat Penn 13-0.
9. St Georges (2-0). Beat Conrad 9-2 and Christiana.
10. Sallies (1-0). beat Glasgow
11. Central (1-0) beat Lake
12. Mt Pleasant (1-0) beat Newark
13. Tech (1-1). beat Newark Charter and lost to CR
14. DMA. Has not played yet
15. Polytech (1-0). beat IR
16. Conrad (1-1). Lost to ST G and beat St Tom More.

Noteworthy. Milford 2-0, Wilm Christian (2-0), Mtown (1-0), Woodbridge (1-0), DEAPSS (1-0).

Oldskool, it's never too early to post a rankings list to stir up some debate. I guess the list of last years playoff teams is a good place to start. But I think you may be off in where you ranked some of these teams. AI is probably ranked too high and St. Georges is ranked too low. Hodgson is probably a top 5 team and Archmere is probably not a top 10 team. Appo will be somewhere on this list soon. You might want to rethink your Noteworthy list too. Wilm Christian, Woodbridge, DEAPSS, I don't think so.

Pretty good start, I think St Georges and Sallies could be a bit higher. Hodgson, I worry about their depth. Same with Mount and AI. Would probably drop them down a bit. I think Middletown might be the Flight A champ. Also don't sleep on Glasgow this year.

I would go with:

1. Caravel
2. St Marks
3. St Georges
4. Sallies
5. Smyrna
6. CR
7. Hodgson
8. S.Tech
9. Conrad
10. Polytech

Caravel and Sallies play today. Both teams will start their aces i'm sure with all the rest from the rain. Plus Hinton did not throw Saturday. I would say Hinton vs. Carney or Frayley.

This week we will get some games in to really start getting a idea were the rankings will be.

DETOP20. Your points are very valid especially St Georges (with their dominant win over Conrad - a playoff team from last year) and Hodgson (with its with over what we expect to be a pretty decent Appo team). We just haven't seen enough to drastically move anyone from last years performance spot. I didn't want to drop AI without even playing. They were a good semi final team last year. Appo will have to get a win before they jump up into the rankings.

As for the Noteworthy teams...it was a little tongue in cheek...thats why i said Noteworthy...not teams to watch or something like that. Wilm Christian and DEAPSS probably won't get much "airtime" so i thought i would give them a little credit.

Thanks for the input DETOP20. I look forward to us discussing teams again this year.

@ furious, Dover is definitely a top 10 team and don't sleep on Milford

I've seen St Marks, Polytech and Dover play against IR. IMO I think Dover and St. Marks look to be evenly matched. Both teams are far better than Polytech. Dover is big and has lots of team speed with a ton of seniors. Dover threw #3 today and #4 closed the game. They should make another run this year in the tourney. Hope to see a public school in the finals.

Milford and Lake will both give the South some credibility for the first time in a while. Lake beat Smyrna today. Milford is 3-0 after an 11-1 win over Delmar today. Also, I picked Central to win the North before the season started. I'm sticking with that. Not sure why more people aren't mentioning the Knights.

Here is News Journal's Top Five

BASEBALL
1. Caravel (1-0)
2. St. Mark's (3-0)
3. Hodgson (1-0)
4. Dover (1-0)
5. Smyrna (1-0)

I think the top 3 are Caravel, St Marks and Dover. Not sure how good Hodgson is without Walter on the mound. Hodgson plays St Marks Tuesday and St Georges Thursday so will find out this week. Smyrna just got beat by Lake who is not exactly a baseball power. CR looked good against St Marks and I would probably put them at 4. I also think that Appo is better than people think.

1- Caravel 2-0
2- St Marks 3-0
3- Dover 1-0
4- CR 2-1 (lost to St Marks)
5- Sallies 1-1 (lost to Caravel)
This post was edited on 3/31 9:35 AM by oldtimer22

While I'm not as sold on Smyrna as some people are, it has a good team. As far as Lake not being a power, traditionally speaking that's definitely correct. But this Lake team has the potential to be pretty darn good. Mark my words. Like I said, with Milford and Lake, the Henlopen South has two teams capable of winning in the tournament. I can't remember the last time that was the case. Probably back when Gibson was at Seaford and IR was pretty good.

Don't really see archmere competing against some of the top 10 teams. Some good talent on the team, but always seem to fall when its a tight game. and with deely gone, not sure if the team will be able to compete against some of the mediocre teams.

I thought the same thing on Archmere, but beating Conrad 4-1 yesterday after blowing out a decent Penn team 13-0 should get some attention. Not championship level, but with Voge on the mound they will not be an easy W for someone if they make the tournament.

Does Archmere have much depth?
On another note, how is kyle hinton doing for sallies? I know he's committed to Delaware, but I have not seen/heard much about him in the last year or so. Is he still projected as a shortstop or a pitcher now?

Hinton:

Game Changer showed him at 3rd base against Glasgow.

Also, heard he had a rough outing against Caravel. Someone said he might of it 83-85 but most of the time around 82-83.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT