ADVERTISEMENT

Sallies . . .

MagPie is certainly capable of speaking for himself, but knowing him and his son, I can assure you if Salesianum offered athletic scholarships, his son would have been at the top of the list. He's now doing extremely well in college - in the classroom and on the field - playing for a solid D1 team. As I mentioned in an earlier post, financial aid at Salesianum is managed through the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and their School & Student Services (SSS) process. Not sure why this is so difficult to understand or accept. No comparison to what was done with football at the former Red Lion - despite what some of the other posters claim.

I do agree with you, Laxfool, about the importance of youth programs. Having spent many hours over many years coaching and supporting these programs, I know how they help. My kids have benefited and so have may of their friends - providing a growing group of knowledgeable talent who will provide future coaching and continued support for the game. Good for the future but certainly doesn't solve today's problem.

How do you propose managing choice and charter schools? One could make the case that Wilmington Charter and DMA are privates as well - with testing and admissions criteria that may be even more restrictive. I would expect that these are among the many issues the DIAA is struggling with, making decisions even more difficult.

I wouldn't mind seeing a public and private championship - as long as there is a title game. A public/private all star game makes sense, but I do not think that this would impact any player's school decision. Ultimately, it all comes down to numbers. More kids playing and more kids developing skills equals more competitive play. Exactly what's happening now at the college level.

WoodenStick, I am very familiar with what was done at Red Lion, and I agree that it is not the same. Personally, it doesn't matter to me if Delaware high school lax stays the way it is, but I hate to see controversy in such a great sport when it can be resolved with simple play-off adjustments that will benefit all - even the DIAA.

I think charter schools should be considered privates as their enrollments are also dynamic - in other words not limited to geographic boundaries. To me the division is clear: Schools with geographic boundaries are one category, and any school not subject to geographic boundaries are in the other category. Within these two categories smaller and larger schools can be divided, but not right away. My reason for this is that a great coach (one with "feeder" capability to colleges) can just as easily load up a charter school roster as a private school. Now that I say it, I realize that a great coach at a charter school can probably achieve more than a private because the academic environment is likely better than the typical public, and without tuition.

Per my example in an earlier post, what if a great D1 coach retired to Delaware and volunteered to coach at a northern Delaware charter school? (Example - what PJ Kesmodel has done with the Cape girls in the last 5 years) They could be a national powerhouse within a few short years. People might even move to Delaware from nearby states to have their kids play at the school without the cost of tuition.

The bottom line - you solve the big issue first (public/private inequity) and then you work on the lesser problems within each category. I hope that a few qualified people can get together to organize this before the bureaucrats try to do it on their own.

Sallies played Saint Ignatius Prep from California at 3:00 today. Anyone go to the game?

Originally posted by laxfool:

WoodenStick, I am very familiar with what was done at Red Lion, and I agree that it is not the same. Personally, it doesn't matter to me if Delaware high school lax stays the way it is, but I hate to see controversy in such a great sport when it can be resolved with simple play-off adjustments that will benefit all - even the DIAA.

I think charter schools should be considered privates as their enrollments are also dynamic - in other words not limited to geographic boundaries. To me the division is clear: Schools with geographic boundaries are one category, and any school not subject to geographic boundaries are in the other category. Within these two categories smaller and larger schools can be divided, but not right away. My reason for this is that a great coach (one with "feeder" capability to colleges) can just as easily load up a charter school roster as a private school. Now that I say it, I realize that a great coach at a charter school can probably achieve more than a private because the academic environment is likely better than the typical public, and without tuition.

Per my example in an earlier post, what if a great D1 coach retired to Delaware and volunteered to coach at a northern Delaware charter school? (Example - what PJ Kesmodel has done with the Cape girls in the last 5 years) They could be a national powerhouse within a few short years. People might even move to Delaware from nearby states to have their kids play at the school without the cost of tuition.

The bottom line - you solve the big issue first (public/private inequity) and then you work on the lesser problems within each category. I hope that a few qualified people can get together to organize this before the bureaucrats try to do it on their own.
There is no precedence for separating charter or vo tech schools from publics as both are publically funded and fall under public school rules and regs.. Also the coaches nor school admins decide who gets in.. Yes there are ways techs can fool the system by kids choosing unpopular career paths knowing they don't fill up.. When your talking about private dominance you are really talking about one school.. That school dwarfs all other privates in the amount of boys in the school..

Saying charters or techs for that matter have bigger boundaries is also not the case in DE.. DE has school choice so pretty much no school is limited on geographical boundaries. jmho..

Parent choose which school best suite their child need and their budget ...

You cant separate privates from pubs in DE because there are simply not enough privates that can compete on a Division one (1000 students or more) level.. a few can but most cant...

Sallies in an anomaly because the have top thee in DE in numbers of Boys and are private.. Double whammy.. but they are alone in that..

Being private and the ability to attract kids for sports or whatever just levels the field when competing against publics who have numbers. But when a private equals or betters the top enrollment public's then you have what we have..

Take football for example Sallies is the only private division 1 team in terms of enrollment in DE.. Its really the same in LAX. .. Yes privates have an advantage but only if the enrollment is equal.... a 300 enrollment private has no advantage over a 1000 enrollment public...but they can be equal..

Would someone please give the score from Saturday night's Sals vs. St Mark's game? It is nowhere online that I can find.

Thanks.

Game was held due to rain and lightning with 1:22 remaining in 1st half with Sals up 12-1. Game resumed around 9:30 with the 1:22 added to 2nd half. Sals subs started after delay va St Marks starters who scored 6 against them. Not at all like the first game - game was never a contest.

Sals won again in Maryland vs Cambridge 16-1. Big game Thursday v Shawnee (NJ). Should be competitive. Sals beat Shawnee 13-1 last year - team finished 19-5 in 2013. Playing better this year.

This post was edited on 5/5 9:57 PM by WoodenStick

Lax Power had tonights game 14 to 1. I was not at the game. s
So was the real score 16 to 1? Lax power has the wrong scores on occasion

Of all the Maryland Bayside teams, why would the Sals schedule Cambridge? With their national schedule, it makes no sense to have Cambridge on the Sals schedule. I can see Kent Island, Queen Annes, Easton, or Stephen Decatur as traditionally strong Bayside teams, but not Cambridge (a small 1A school). Just wondering.

Yes. When the Sals played Easton they employed the strategy they usually employ against over matched opponents. That is to pull the starters early and then refuse to shoot.

Convincing win for Sals 17-7 against previously unbeaten Shawnee. Game was fairly tight until 4th when Sals scored 6 unanswered.

Shawnee was South Jersey's number one team in the latest Philly Inquirer poll. Big win.

That "is" a convincing win. Shawnee was undefeated and beat Saint Augustine this year. Are the Sals middies improving? It was clearly an area of weakness for the team earlier in the year.

It's a young group that is improving daily with game experience. Attack and middies are working together with less turnovers. They'll only continue to get better.

I'd like to see them get another shot at Malvern Prep. They lost to them in their first game (it was Malvern's fifth).

Lax Power has Sallies Kennett score 18 to 4. Sallies web site has score 16 to 4. Which was correct?

Uncle Angelo told me Sallies beat Cape this evening 14-7. He said Cape was a very worthy opponent and both teams played at a high level the entire game. Sallies did not end up with with extensive substititions and did not hold the ball without attempting shots as had been the case frequently this season.

Cape goalie played very well and stopped a number of door step goals. The pipes also helped with at least three in the second half. Gillian had a very good game and should be commended. @BlueTea Coach H went deeper into the bench starting the first half, mixing starters and bench rather than wholesale exchanges in the second half. Well coached with a number of guys seeing time at top levels. Always a great game - Sals v Cape!

This post was edited on 5/15 10:01 PM by WoodenStick

Hey I guess we didn't need a All Star team to beat Sallies it only took one team from Delaware.......Cape 9-7 and State Champs!

Personally I didn't have a horse in the race but couldn't resist because the level of arrogance was unreal.

Sounds like Cape and Sallies played a great game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT