ADVERTISEMENT

Sals Reeder starting to get big time interest

dovetail

All-State
Nov 13, 2003
Early buzz. If I were counseling the young man , I'd suggest he give the Princeton offer some serious consideration. Not everyone plays pro ball after college.

http://hsdelaware.scout.com/story/1522831-first-offers-coming-for-reeder?s=387

Thanks for the link. Can't wait for FB season.

Ivy Leaguer???.........The Big S had a nice player at Columbia years ago....was it Bob Hanisch?
This post was edited on 3/16 10:35 AM by Chesdel

Colby Reeder

Originally posted by dovetail:
Early buzz. If I were counseling the young man , I'd suggest he give the Princeton offer some serious consideration. Not everyone plays pro ball after college.

http://hsdelaware.scout.com/story/1522831-first-offers-coming-for-reeder?s=387

I agree in principal with what you say. Everything on this board revolves around the idea that getting an offer from a big football factory is the goal or equates with "success."

I see Duke and Wake Forest also have taken a look - solid academic reputatons.

The kids going to big schools are signing on for a full-time football job with academics taking a back seat. In reality, it is pretty tempting for someone excelling in HS to want to prove their athletic prowess at a Miami type school......but unless they play on Sunday some day I think they are better served by being a college student at an ethical program.

This post was edited on 3/16 2:17 PM by BlueTea

Nice to know hard work, good parenting and good genes still payoff, good luck where ever he decides to go.... It's nice to have options !!!

84rider.....nice to see the old name pop up again. Thanks for taking my call concerning some industry insights last December.

My daughter thinks I was mean We did OK.

@BT, it was good to talk to you also, i'm glad i was able to assist....stop by next time you are down this way. bring Ches, maybe we can con him into treating us to a good meal !

Princeton is great but there is one problem with the offer -

Ivy League Schools do not offer athletic scholarships. I had a kid go to Penn few years back. Parents paying the full $55,000.00 a year. They turned down other full scholarships for him to go to Penn.. They could afford it.

But If he does go to an Ivy like Princeton - It will cost him over 50K a year. Again no athletic scholarships are offered in the Ivy League.

Just the trade off you have to consider if you are fortunate enough to be in that position (99.9 % of us are not).

Originally posted by 84rider:

@BT, it was good to talk to you also, i'm glad i was able to assist....stop by next time you are down this way. bring Ches, maybe we can con him into treating us to a good meal !

That would be my pleasure. Now that BT has stayed on that diet I can afford to buy you both a good meal!

Having a son who UPenn was interested in until he signed with a D1 school last year I can tell you there is no money going out to Ivy league football players for athletic scholarships. Ivy League has something called academic bands for athletes. The athlete is placed in a band ( category) depending on his failure/ success risk that admissions foresees the player will have. Most teams can only have so many players per band/ category. Upenn has can only have one player on the team who is at serious risk for failure. i believe that's band 1, this decreases the risk of high academic failure rates for players and keeps the school with a high academi success rate. From my sons experience foitball don't help you get accepted into Ivy League.

Ivy League Schools are utition based on income schools. Not everyone pays 50,000+ to go there. If you are wealthy then yes you are going to pay the high cost, but that doesn't really bother the wealthy. they have it so use it. Middle class down farther in the income scale pay based on what they can afford. And if they can't afford anything, then they don't pay anything. It's not something extra they need to apply for, it's just part of the process at all Ivy League schools. Harvards basketball team has taken HUGE advantage of this, hence their recent string of NCAA Tourney appearances. There coach gets good quality basketball players who have the grades to get into the school and who are low income and would get tuition free. He has gotten them on board with the idea that yeah if they improve and get better maybe they'll have a shot at NBA (Jeremy Lin), but if not they will walk out with zero debt and a degree from Harvard, which would mean guaranteed job of their choosing.
Ivy Leagues Athletics for the lower income households and grades up to snuff and athletic is a NO BRAINER IMO.

Granted I understand this kid goes to Sallies, so most likely not qualifying for free tuition, but he may not have to pay 50,000+ to go there either.

Reactions: 1stStateRealist
@chief - if that's true, that's a smart move, repeating a year just may wind up getting him a free college education

Excelling at sports def helps you get into an Ivy league school.you only need a 1150 (CR and M) and a 3.0 GPA. Without sports you'll need a perfect SAT and 4.0 GPA. Just to get in the discussion of getting in Princeton,Yale or Harvard. And by the way Miami is very hard to get into if your not a big time athlete. Minimal 2000 sat...3.6 GPA to go pre Med there. They'll tell you those exact words on the tour.Top univ in USA, Miami is #48 Univ of DE #76..just saying Blue

This post was edited on 3/22 9:20 AM by 1superfan

Yea, and that's why the"U" is on probation more than not. Anything to be a winning program. Like most big time programs.

I'm just saying top 25 football program..top 50 academic school.and the campus in Coral gables.sounds like fun place to spend my college yrs.

Saw a while ago on a Miami board that the Canes offered and they were pissed. Just goes to show you how Al Golden is trying to turn Miami into Penn State South. No offense, but this kid doesn't belong at a school like Miami. The only reason he got an offer was because of Golden and his ties to the Northeast. Props to Reeder for the work he puts in though. He's still a very good player and teams like Maryland, Penn State, UD, Temple, Ruthers, etc. should be recruiting him.

Just curious if there's a reason Reeder, a junior getting offers is talked about, but Roberts, a sophomore with offers and I believe one he accepted isn't being discussed. Is it because of the schools they currently attend are different?

40 days ago AI posted the attached. It brought no comments from neither you nor me nor anyone else at that time.

If your point is that Roberts would be discussed more if he were a Big S player then I agree. The 2 young men get to play against each other again this year....

Avery Roberts Thread

#28 will be a senior during the 2015-2016 school year. He is currently an 11th grader.

How many days to DE HS FB begins?

@Ches

beach volleyball starts real soon...I suggest you check out a game or two..
although the the talent is so so , the outfits are amazing....

just saying

247Sports.com put out new rankings today. They have Roberts listed as the #1 Player in Delaware, #5 Linebacker in the country, and 137 Ranked Player in the 2017 class overall. That is a great accomplishment for a player from ANY Delaware school.

Also, just checked out his Rivals profile. He has picked up some BIG Time offers to be only a sophomore from Delaware. Also, his trainers say he is still uncommitted at this time.
This post was edited on 4/14 5:20 PM by A.I.Pride

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Avery-Roberts-170238

I said the same thing. You would think they would have said something to him first, being as though his brother plays there.

Originally posted by A.I.Pride:
I said the same thing. You would think they would have said something to him first, being as though his brother plays there.
Interesting considering Brock went to all the DE schools and also pulled the DE kids aside at his camps when he first got here and was saying he believed there was allot of talent in DE and he intended to keep all the talent in state if he can.. Interesting enough Kyle Flood said the same in NJ and he is losing players left and right even Jersey kids who have committed to Rutgers..

I have seen Brock offer other kids from other states who are lessor players but they have a FLA or NJ next to their name.. I guess its kind of how recruiting is these days.. The coaches have gotten lazy and rely on Rivals or 247 ratings and of course their recruiting class is ranked on these ratings and that keeps the alumni happy. These ratings are based on athletic scores and potential not necessarily football acumen. If you go this route you better coach them up or you will lose and be fired anyway..

The other big thing in recruiting is offering kids from top ranked or nationally known teams They will offer a third tier player from these teams and pass on a top tier player from a nationally unknown team ..Again being lazy.. As a recruiter in an area you should scout your area for any kids who can flat out play not just hit up the the top programs but again its how it is..

It also says allot about Avery Roberts in that he is a good enough talent to overcome those obstacles but the premier athletes usually will. It is the second level kids who get overlooked if they are not from a power state or program

Personally I don't think Brooks is long for the job at UD particularly if he follows the Flood school of recruiting.. which he seems to be doing.. You need a balance of great hard nosed "football" players and leaders to go with the premier athletes .. Loading up on athletes and potential ranked players only works if your staff can coach them up big time.. JMO

This post was edited on 4/14 8:03 PM by ravensrooster2

This post was edited on 4/14 10:29 PM by ravensrooster2

Agree completely, its Coach Dave Brock at UD, spoke with him once, he spoke with my son once, was a very uninspiring recruitment, they had little interest, as such my son will be attending and playing for a competing CAA program

Originally posted by carlo12:
Agree completely, its Coach Dave Brock at UD, spoke with him once, he spoke with my son once, was a very uninspiring recruitment, they had little interest, as such my son will be attending and playing for a competing CAA program
Carlo I get it .. My son is going to UD and had a PWO offer but is not inspired to go out for the team... mainly because he has other interests at this time but the program certainly is not inspiring kids to come..

This post was edited on 4/15 6:57 AM by ravensrooster2

@RR

I am really surprised your son isn't playing football at the next level...

Originally posted by spartakos:
@RR

I am really surprised your son isn't playing football at the next level...
He had plenty of oppertunities just decided he wants to persue other interests while in college.. Mostly stuff that pertains to what he wants to do after college.. Really into wrestling and wants to get into MMA or some martial arts.. Its something he was always interested in and never had time to do due to sports commitments and off season training etc... and who knows if he ends up missing it he can always go out for the football team his soph year if he wants..

This post was edited on 4/15 9:27 AM by ravensrooster2

Anyone know where John Flamer and all the Wm penn seniors are going to play college ball? They dominated first team all state and I can't find anything about them signing anywhere. Meanwhile third team has two or three players going to play D1 college ball

My son said when he recently talked to Flamer he told him he was going to Wesley.

POY going to a D3 college and third team all staters are going to play football at D1 colleges? thought Flamer would go at least d2.

Originally posted by FlyersFan74:
POY going to a D3 college and third team all staters are going to play football at D1 colleges? thought Flamer would go at least d2.
Going to a D1 school doesn't mean a thing when it comes to all-state voting. Flamer is a terrific young man and Wesley is an awesome program. My son seriously considered Wesley before deciding on UD. Guess if he chose Wesley he shouldn't have been a 1st team all-stater by your logic... just sayin

No. By my logic there's something wrong with AS voting this year . When most your first team all staters ( wm penn) can't get a college to look at them for football ( except their kicker) and some of your third team all staters are getting D1 football scholarships there is some flaw. I'm sure you are aware that Wesley can offer a FA assistance while D1 (ud) can offer full one year football scholarships for one year at a time).
I am a fan of johns ( except when he wrestled my son:) and believe him to be an all around athlete, I just thought he'd be playing at a higher level and getting tuition money for his FB talent

2 of the 5 all-state players are Jrs other 3 2 are going to Prep school and one is going to Wesley and another is going to a very good D2 school Alderson Broaddus.I doubt you can name any player in the state that are better than them 5 at there position.

All State has nothing to do with college recruiting. D1 colleges are all about height/weight/speed. I don't know the numbers on any of these kids. I can only assume that they are lacking in one of those areas. Some kids know how to maximize the potential earlier thus they are more productive high school players but everybody has a ceiling based on genetics.

No. By my logic there's something wrong with AS voting this year . When most your first team all staters ( wm penn) can't get a college to look at them for football ( except their kicker) and some of your third team all staters are getting D1 football scholarships there is some flaw. I'm sure you are aware that Wesley can offer a FA assistance while D1 (ud) can offer full one year football scholarships for one year at a time).
I am a fan of johns ( except when he wrestled my son:) and believe him to be an all around athlete, I just thought he'd be playing at a higher level and getting tuition money for his FB talent

You may not be considering the all-important GPA/Test Score factor...Schools may be looking at kids and maybe they don't qualify. Who knows.

AS is flawed, as is all-conference, college all-conference/region/american teams, and even NFl pro-bowl/all pro. But the coaches and sport writers do the best they can to represent the best players and inevitably kids get left off the list.

As others have said your potential does not outweigh your performance. Performance in games should be the determining factor in voting.

ADVERTISEMENT