ADVERTISEMENT

SEMI FINAL GAME - Appo/Dover May 2015

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
The Delaware High School Baseball 2015 Semi-Finals are here !!!!! Sadly it means the season is coming to a close. But we still have 3 games to play. I’m really excited about these two games. Good matchups and really I don’t see any clear favorites. Who would have predicted that St Marks & Sallies would be out and that Caravel almost got beat by Tower Hill. I can’t wait to see whats going to happen next.

#8 Appo (15-5) @ #5 Dover (16-4).

Appo in its short history, is beginning to cement itself as a powerful baseball school. Appo’s 1st varsity season was 2010 and they went 10-8. They have only had one losing season since inception, in 2012. In 2011 they shocked everyone getting hot at playoff time and going to the championship game. In 2013 they ran into eventual champs St Marks in the 2nd round. Now their back in the Semis, by repaying St Marks for the 2013 defeat in the 2nd round. Appo has had a really good season. They have done this with two sophomore starters, Garrett and Steckline. Garrett has been the ace, but its Steckline who twice has pitched well against St Marks, beating them to get the team to the Semi finals. Now I would assume the ball gets handed back over to Emir Garrett who was 7-2 in the regular season and who’s only losses were during great pitches performances of his, but just slightly getting outshone by Walter and Fraley those days. Appo’s 5 losses were all to playoff teams (Hodgson 2-4, Dover 2-5, St Marks 5-6, Caravel 1-3 and Mt P 3-4). Some of their best games of the season have been in defeat, 2 were extra innings and 2 were late inning rallies by the other team). It just shows that Appo is for real. Appo is one of the best offensive teams in the state this year and also one of the best defensive teams in the state as well. Appo is scoring over 7 runs per game are allowing less than 2 runs per game. They blanked Sallies and Cape, while only allowing 1 to St Marks and 3 to Caravel. They did allow 5 to Dover midway through the season, but that included a 5 run 4th inning for Dover.

Dover has certainly more history than Appo. Dover just got its 20th playoff victory since 1970, having played in 42 post season games in that time period. Despite its long history in the playoffs, Dover only has one State Championship since 1970 and that was in 1972. Dover is appearing in its 10th semi final game in that time period, only winning 2 of them. Their last appearance was in 2013, losing to Caravel. Dover had a very good season, but lost its final two games of the season to fall back into a tie for its conference title. Its final game was a 10-0 loss to St Marks. I don’t know what to make of that other than it was the final game and they had the playoffs locked up. Dover has played two close games here in the playoffs. They eeked out a win over DMA 4-3 and barely held on to a big early lead against Hodgson ,winning 9-7 after being up 7-1. Dover has been led on the mound by senior Jared Rowley who was 6-0 during the season . Rowley also got credit for the win over DMA, pitching a complete game with 11 k’s. I would assume he would get the ball here in the Semifinal. Dover has been led at the plate by Hutchins, Graham, Small. Small hit a critical 2 run HR against DMA to help get Dover the win. Not sure if anyone will be putting any balls over the fence at Frawley, but that’s a big outfield to drop balls into. Dover averaged about 6 runs per game, while allowing just over 2 runs per game.

These two teams met in the regular season as mentioned. It was a good game, where Appo had more hits, but Dover had one big inning scoring all of its runs. Appo went yard for both of its runs last game and I don’t see that happening at Frawley. The pitching matchups back then was Steckline vs Small. I’m assuming it will be Rowley/Garrett for this one. I think Garrett is the more dominant ACE, and since Appo has slightly better bats, I feel like Appo should have the advantage in this one.

Can someone give oldskool a charger for his phone so he can update the score for the second game?

Curious what people thought about Appo pitching Garrett so long. Once he pitched 4 innings, he was ineligible for the championship game, because you have to rest 2 days if you pitch 4-6 innings is my understanding. My game plan would have been to pitch Garrett the whole game UNLESS Appo got a big lead, then i would pull him with no more than 3 innings. That way he isn't required to rest and hence available for Championship game Saturday.

So when Appo went up 9-1 in the top of the 4th. I would have pulled Garrett. Sure you have to worry about getting there first and secure your win. And sure, Dover could have come back and you would look like a fool i guess. But up 9-1, i would trust that my "pen" could hold that led. Especially since Dover's pitching was just about done and Appo bats were on fire. Garrett is your ace, wouldn't you at least want him available. Even if you still start Steckline, i would want Garrett as a possibility. Maybe a somewhat fresh closer possibly. I think its supposed to be hot too. I would want more arms available, especially your ace.

I don't mean to question the coach.. just my thoughts.i'm just wondering what others would have thought and or done? Am i crazy?

You win the game you are playing! Dover is capable of putting up runs in bunches.

Appo's bats were hot until Willey took the mound. He 1 hit them for 3 and 2/3rds so a comeback was not out of the question.

I think the coach made the right call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT