ADVERTISEMENT

SEMI FINAL GAME - Cape/Caravel May 2015

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
The Delaware High School Baseball 2015 Semi-Finals are here !!!!! Sadly it means the season is coming to a close. But we still have 3 games to play. I’m really excited about these two games. Good matchups and really I don’t see any clear favorites. Who would have predicted that St Marks & Sallies would be out and that Caravel almost got beat by Tower Hill. I can’t wait to see whats going to happen next.

#10 Cape Henlopen (13-7) @ #4 Caravel (16-4)

Despite Cape being around a long time, they have only played in 11 post season games and this is only their second appearance in a Semi Final game. The lack of history all means nothing at this point. Cape is the lowest seed left in the playoffs, but I would have to say it’s the favorite right now. Since mid season this team has been one of the hottest teams. After their 16-7 loss to Caravel, they went on a mad tear through the schedule. They started 4-5, which included a 3 game losing streak where they were outscored 3 to 24 by Lake, Appo & Central. But something must have clicked in that Caravel loss, because they bounced back and beat Tech 10-0 and Milford 14-4. They won over IR and ST G, then 10 run CR. They beat Poly and Smyrna who were both vying for playoff spots. 7 straight wins to earn a playoff spot. They had a little letdown in the final game against St Marks 6-2. But they came back with a big win over Tech in the first round of the playoffs scoring 5 in the first inning and another 3 in the 3rd inning to go up 8-0. They did have a last inning letdown to allow 4 runs to make the game look closer than it was, but Cape dominated early and played strong behind the pitching of McCoy. Then we saw against Sallies they spotted the Sals with 3 runs in the first but then exploded in the 3rd with 9 runs to serve the knockout blow behind the pitching of Gelof. Cape scores the runs. They are averaging over 7 runs per game, but here in the playoffs they have scored 8, then 9. Their offense is led by Kwan, Kennedy and Vitella, but have many contributors including Drew Mulcahy who has been hot in the playoffs. On the mound, they have been led by McCoy, Vitella & Elliott. On average, their defense has been giving 5 runs per game during the season, which makes sense that they have allowed 4 runs in both of their playoff games.

Who is this small private school that is in the PUBLIC School Championships??? Oh wait, they are the defending State Champs. We all know Caravel’s playoff success, but let me go over it again for anyone emerging from out under a rock. Caravel has played in 3 of the last 4 state championship. The past two years splitting wins with St Marks in the champioinship games and back in 2011 beating Appo. Caravel has played in 56 postseason games since 1970, but most have been recently. Caravel has 4 state championships and is appearing in its 11 semi finals, already going 7-3 in Semi final games. Caravel has been at the top of my rankings pretty much all season deservedly so. Caravel hasn’t really showed any dominance this year (meaning blowing teams out), but they are playing very well against a pretty tough schedule. I have seen them and they look very beatable, but I think that’s because they aren’t blowing teams away. They are playing close games, some they are losing and others require them coming back to win it. But they are winning most of them. They scored late to beat a pretty good Riverdale team. Then they won a close one over Sallies 4-2. Two close games with decent out of state teams Penn Charter and Conwell, winning those. Not a lot of luster but some good baseball. Then they get upset by an average Charter team by a walkoff run to end the game. Man Caravel must not be good this year we thought???? But they beat St Marks in a close game, beat a decent Curly team and lose a very good, close game with a pretty good NG team. They explode on cape for a rare blowout, then win a great game with Fraley (who hadn’t started) throwing a no hitter against Hodgson, besting a great Walter performance. Since then Fraley has started half the games and has clearly emerged as arguably the premier pitcher in the state (just a reminder that Fraley and Carney are 11th graders). After beating Delbarton, Caravel came back and lost a close game to Central and lost to a good St Joseph team. Man, Caravel must not be that good this year??? Hold the phone. They have since won 5 straight regular season games and 2 playoff games. 4 of the 5 last regular season games were complete games by Fraley & Carney, including a 3-1 win over Appo were Fraley struck out 11 batters. Caravel isn’t exactly pounding the ball, scoring just 5 runs per game on average this season. On the mound as mentioned, they are led by Carney and Fraley. They do give up 3 runs per game on average this year, but I believe that’s a little misleading given the final 5 games of the season they only allowed 2 total runs. Here in the playoffs they gave up 1 to Smyrna and 3 to Tower Hill.

These two teams did meet in the regular season with Caravel winning a wild one 16-7. This was not a pitchers duel and it was not a good game defensively. First of all both teams recorded a combined 10 errors that game. Which we all know, the recorded number is generally low balling it. Secondly, there were 23 recorded hits in the game. The game was also hard to judge because the scoring was in clumps. At one point Caravel was leading 14-1. Caravel scored 5 in the top of the 1st inning, then another 8 in the 4th inning, while Cape scored 6 in the bottom of the 5th. Also, this was before Cape’s wake up call were their season turned around.

Now this time I’m not sure of the pitching matchups. I’m assuming McCoy who pitched 6 innings last Saturday would be Cape’s starter. Elliott didn’t pitch long at all for Cape against Sallies. Caravel had Carney start and pitch 3 against Smyrna, with Fraley coming in for 4 innings to get the win. I believe that Carney started and pitched 5+ innings against Tower Hill, with Fraley pitching 2+innings. I’m assuming Fraley will start against Cape since he only pitched 1 on Tuesday. Carney can’t pitch on Thursday. You obvisouly have to win this game so there is no looking ahead. But in the back of the coaches mind is IF we win, what will we have for the championship game. If anyone pitches more than 3 innings on Thursday, they can’t pitch Saturday. Pitching matchups will obviously make or break the game, but since both might limit things, I’m inclined to go with the experienced team, Caravel. But I do think Cape is the hotter team right now. This should be a great matchup.

Just thunder. CA was about to take infield at 3:20 when the delay started. Haven't gotten started yet.

Fraley walks lead off batter. 3-2 count on 2 hole but then double play. Then a k

Out. Fraley HBp. Error on p/o Fraley to 2b. Stole third. Weber walked. First and third. Weber to 2b uncontested. Juhl sac fly run scores, Weber to 3b. Jones k. 1-0 caravel

Bot. 2nd. Marchan walks then steals. Findley doubles in run to left. 2-0. Next batter F2. Wood ham walks while Findlay steals third. Wood ham steals 2b. 2nd and 3rd 1 out. Bilious walks but pass ball 1 run scores. 2nd runner thrown out at plate. 3-0 two outs, guy on 2b. Fraley up. Bilous caught in run down off base but slides under tag at 2b. Then Fraley k but pass ball and run scores. Fraley all the way to third. But apparently time was called. Controversy. Now Bilous back to 2b and Fraley batting again. Fraley then F9

Top 3. Caravel 3-0. Elliot F9. McCoy BB. Mulcahy BB. 8 straight balls from Fraley. Last one hit backstop.

3 balls. Strike one. Grounder to third. Force at 2b. Run scores. First and third 2 outs. 3-1

Bot 3. Caravel 3-1. Weber up first. K. Juhl F2. Jones BB. Marchan singles jones safe at 3b but Marchan pegged trying to stretch to 2b. Caravel 3-1. On to top 4.

Top 4. Surprised Fraley still in. He looked done last inning and this ensures he can't pitch Saturday if the get there?? Kennedy walks. Engel awesome bunt that died in front of home plate. Good play by catcher throws engel out. Engel hurt sliding into first. Why do they go head first into first??? Hurt leg somehow? Carried off.

1 out Kennedy on second. Pass ball and on third one out. Wiberg rung up looking for walk. Elliot scorcher to third. Mishandled run scores. 3-2. Score Pass ball. Grounder to 2nd. 3-2 caravel going into bot 4

Bot 4. Findley K. Adams crushed one into left field corner for double. Wood ham K. Bilous walks. Last 2 pirches looked real good. First and third 2 outs. Bilous takes 2nd. Fraley triples to fence scores 2. McCoy out. 5-2 caravel. Elliott in to pitch to weber.

Top 5. Fraley hitting backstop in warmups. Mulcahy up got on first (texting with wife missed how ). Stole second. K. Vitella K. Fraley was playing possum. Looking untouchable now. Kwan blooped one in front of left fielder, run scored. 5-3. Kennedy crushed one to right-center. First and third. 2 out. Caoe tried squeeze twice fouled. Then cape tried a pickle unsuccessfully. Lol

Bot 5. Junk long out. Jones HBP. Stole then Pb Marchan ground to short. Pb on walk. Run scores. Runner thrown out at 2b. 6-3 caravel going to 6.

#19 caravel pitching. Donahue k. Wiberg double to right corner. Elliot singles. First and third. walk. Bases loaded. Malcahy walked in a run. Marenco pitching. Short Pop up. No tag. Vitella up. 2?run single. Tie game.

Caravel bases loaded 1 out. Wicked line out to second baseman, doubles up guy at second. Crisis averted. Going to 7. Tied. Phone dying : (

Marenco pitching still. #21 for caravel about 100 warm up pitches in pen over last 4 innings. Leadoff single. Int walk. Elliot up.

Hell yeah!!! A public school will win the championship!

Final score? How many innings?

I don't get many baseball games but wow this was a classic. Great job by Cape never quitting. Great catch by 2nd baseman and then turning into a DP. Also nice catch by Cape catcher on foul pop near Caravel dugout to end an inning.

Even after getting the 2 in top of 9th you knew Caravel would rally. Bucs got first 2 on and executed perfect sac bunt. next batter struck out on curve in the dirt but ball got past Cape catcher, run scored, batter safe at first. But Cape pitcher steadied and struck out next hitter and got fly to center to end it.

Cape will tough in the final.

Raven is referring to Bilous not being able to pitch due to his arm injury. He could bat.

8yaz...i thought you would have been there for the games. It was like the Public school 2nd coming...haha...great 1st game and since your an adopted fan of Appo, you would have enjoyed the second game...

ADVERTISEMENT