ADVERTISEMENT

Smyrna vs Cape

Smyrna vs Cape 1/18 @ Cape. Give me a prediction and why.
I can't call it. My calculations come up one way and then the other. Smyrna is as vulnerable as they have been in a long time but they usually find a way. I'm going to say 28-28 (recalculated)... Smyrna by criteria!

Last edited:
Reactions: proudscfan
I can't call it. My calculations come up one way and then the other. Smyrna is as vulnerable as they have been in a long time but they usually find a way. I'm going to say 28-28 (recalculated)... Smyrna by criteria!
That is as lose as it gets. Having seen Cape in person, they are pretty solid. I would give the advantage to Cape but I think they are forfeiting 106 and 112 from what I hear. That may come back and haunt them.

Reactions: 1st takedown
Cape 29-27. Think Cape has enough in the middle to keep it close and matches up well up top. The forfeits hurt so have to make it up with bonus where they can.

Well, given the latest intel, I have 3 decisions and 1 pin each, 2 Cape ffts [I'll believe them when I see them :)], 2 Smy probable wins, and 2 toss ups. The ffts will tilt things in Smyrna favor. I won't be there but best of health to all. Lot of season still left.

They have been forfeiting 106 almost every match and I think 113 from time to time. There 106 is a girl who has yet to see any mat time, just gets her hand raised if the other team doesn't have an opponent for her. Not really familiar with their 113, but I think he is fairly new and also not sent out on the mat to wrestle all that much.

They have been forfeiting 106 almost every match and I think 113 from time to time. There 106 is a girl who has yet to see any mat time, just gets her hand raised if the other team doesn't have an opponent for her. Not really familiar with their 113, but I think he is fairly new and also not sent out on the mat to wrestle all that much.

Dang. Must be pretty good if they can forfeit two weights and still be in the conversation for best team in the state

Reactions: youjustme
Dang. Must be pretty good if they can forfeit two weights and still be in the conversation for best team in the state
They have three monsters (little, medium, and big) as well as three beasts (just below monster status) as well as other decent wrestlers that can sneak up on higher rated guys on any given night. No team can look pass them, forfeits or not.

Reactions: wtc76
They have three monsters (little, medium, and big) as well as three beasts (just below monster status) as well as other decent wrestlers that can sneak up on higher rated guys on any given night. No team can look pass them, forfeits or not.
Problem in this match is that 106 and 113 are two weights that Smyrna is very beatable before you hit that tough middle they have.

Just looking through some results from Cape this year, it looks like they have forfeited every match at 106. At 113, the Cape wrestler pinned his opponent vs Lake Forest and he was pinned vs CR. Everything else I can see was all forfeits.

Problem in this match is that 106 and 113 are two weights that Smyrna is very beatable before you hit that tough middle they have.
Smyrna has several "beatable" weight classes, so what makes this match most intriguing is that Smyrna also has a tough middle. That's where the match will be won or lost. Bonus points will be big but rare, I think. Wins are the most important.

Cape did very well against SC with bonus points. But Smyrna is very good at avoiding bonus point situations. Think Cape may have a slight advantage. Coin toss could be big.

Just looking through some results from Cape this year, it looks like they have forfeited every match at 106. At 113, the Cape wrestler pinned his opponent vs Lake Forest and he was pinned vs CR. Everything else I can see was all forfeits.
I can't see Cape forfeiting any weight classes tonight. Smyrna starts four freshmen and sometimes works in another one. It's better to throw a body out there with some "don't give up six" instructions than to give a free six or twelve points.

I think they roll out their 113 pounder tonight. But I still see a forfeit at 106. Cape took the forfeit at 106 early in a tough match with CR. Just my opinion.

Reactions: youjustme
They will FF 106 unless it's the last match and up by less than 6. Coin toss us huge in this one. Hate to say it but can't see cape pulling out a win if they don't win the toss.

They will FF 106 unless it's the last match and up by less than 6. Coin toss us huge in this one. Hate to say it but can't see cape pulling out a win if they don't win the toss.
I don't think that coin toss matters too much in this one. Neither team has much "wiggle room" to make moves. Any attempt to shift kids around will probably backfire.

I don't think that coin toss matters too much in this one. Neither team has much "wiggle room" to make moves. Any attempt to shift kids around will probably backfire.
Oh stop mr Wilson! You know you have plenty of wiggle room and much more depth than cape at many weights.

Reactions: spartakos
Oh stop mr Wilson! You know you have plenty of wiggle room and much more depth than cape at many weights.
Actually, Smyrna is the "shallowest" they have been in a long time, but it doesn't hurt for folks to think otherwise. And call me YJM or at least Dr. Wilson! "Mr. Wilson"?!?!...what is this...Dennis the Menace? :)

Reactions: myrealname
Why did Cape forfeit against Wuest? Yeah the match was over at that point but why not trot a kid out there?

I'm honestly curious, not trying to bash Cape or anything. I just don't understand why they forfeited

Why did Cape forfeit against Wuest? Yeah the match was over at that point but why not trot a kid out there?

I'm honestly curious, not trying to bash Cape or anything. I just don't understand why they forfeited
Psychologically, it's sometimes better to not subject a kid to discouragement unnecessarily. It may pay dividends later. Of course, that is a new school way of thinking.

Reactions: MatMiracle
Did not see the match either but the full match is on 302sports.com on youtube.

Beat CR 47-27. Honestly wasn't really that close. SC gave up 2 pins by being a little over agresseive, but that is how you learn. Just need to stay healthy.

I was a little surprised to see Nartacola (sp?) pin Curusso... No knock to a solid cape team but smyrna just looked wayyy more technically sound.
Several Smyrna kids got off to a rocky start but seem to have found their grove. Smyrna is a better team than I thought. I looked too hard at the weaknesses and didn't appreciate the strengths. I don't think the score will be so lopsided if they wrestle again, but feel more confident that Smyrna would win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT